• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Chris Eubank delivered one of the greatest uppercuts moments after been locked down himself.

In round 11, with Watson ahead on points and seemingly on the verge of a stoppage victory, he knocked Eubank down with an overhand right. Moments later, Eubank was back on his feet and connected with a devastating uppercut, which caused Watson to fall back and hit the back of his head against the ropes. Referee Roy Francis stopped the fight in round 12, after which Watson collapsed in the ring. There was no ambulance or paramedic at the event. Doctors wearing dinner jackets arrived after some eight minutes, during which time the fallen fighter received no oxygen. A total of 28 minutes elapsed before Watson received treatment in a hospital neurosurgical unit. He spent 40 days in a coma and had six brain operations to remove a blood clot.

After regaining consciousness, he spent over a year in intensive care and rehabilitation and six more years as a wheelchair user while he slowly recovered some movement and regained the ability to speak and write. Peter Hamlyn, the consultant neurosurgeon who operated on Watson, said in 2010, "I think back to those first days, and the milestone moments. The first eight months were so depressing. He couldn't hear, couldn't speak, couldn't walk. Slowly, he clawed it all back. So extraordinary".

After this fight Eubank changed his style as a fighter and rarely scored a clear KO win, he would score some TKO wins from working the body and being more technical, but the KO precision and power he showed in his early fights disappeared afterwards.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
That was brutal, but I've yet to see anyone top this...

tumblr_p249owLNri1u1urgoo4_500.gif

To be fair, that's a wrestler against a pro boxer.
Ah, Butterbean. A legend.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
An absolutely brutal "you reach, I teach" lesson there. Well, concussed dude was more lunging - horrible effort and a deserved KO.

Man, I still remember when Marquez knocked Pacquiao out cold

8lTv.gif

Classic, especially since it happened right as round was ending and because Marquez was robbed before. Good shit.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck did he hit him again when he was laying on the deck.
Disgusting

That's MMA, you usually don't stop until the ref stops you. With a brutal knockout like this the winner occasionally stops on his own but in the heat of the moment people follow up like they're supposed and trained to do.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
That Tyson uppercut from the gifs is like 10 times more brutal, a normal guy would have gotten his head cut from the rest of the body after it.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Why the fuck did he hit him again when he was laying on the deck.
Disgusting
Sometimes the guy that gets punched really hard actually gets back up, and the attacker usually follows up the attack to ensure his victory and doesn't have enough time to see if the guy is actually conscious. It happens in the sport, they usually don't do it out of spite. Usually.
We had a similar knockout to that in the OP last night in a UFC heavyweight fight.
One of my favorites in UFC is Ngannou knocking out Overeem. First time I really noticed the recipient staying stiff fir an extended time after landing.

This is the STIFFEST I ever seen a guy get on a knockout. Look at Askren's leg when the ref flips him over. Masvidal said those post-ko punches were on purpose too. The two had been beefin' a lot before the fight.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Chris Eubank delivered one of the greatest uppercuts moments after been locked down himself.

In round 11, with Watson ahead on points and seemingly on the verge of a stoppage victory, he knocked Eubank down with an overhand right. Moments later, Eubank was back on his feet and connected with a devastating uppercut, which caused Watson to fall back and hit the back of his head against the ropes. Referee Roy Francis stopped the fight in round 12, after which Watson collapsed in the ring. There was no ambulance or paramedic at the event. Doctors wearing dinner jackets arrived after some eight minutes, during which time the fallen fighter received no oxygen. A total of 28 minutes elapsed before Watson received treatment in a hospital neurosurgical unit. He spent 40 days in a coma and had six brain operations to remove a blood clot.

After regaining consciousness, he spent over a year in intensive care and rehabilitation and six more years as a wheelchair user while he slowly recovered some movement and regained the ability to speak and write. Peter Hamlyn, the consultant neurosurgeon who operated on Watson, said in 2010, "I think back to those first days, and the milestone moments. The first eight months were so depressing. He couldn't hear, couldn't speak, couldn't walk. Slowly, he clawed it all back. So extraordinary".

After this fight Eubank changed his style as a fighter and rarely scored a clear KO win, he would score some TKO wins from working the body and being more technical, but the KO precision and power he showed in his early fights disappeared afterwards.

incredible story, thanks for sharing

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly a good knockout.
Hope there is no permanent damage of course.
But nice hook, damn.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
While we're all here I might as well post Ngannou knocking out Alistair Overeem with such force his toes curled up as if he'd been electrocuted.

goddamn. hope they check that dude's brain to make sure he's ok

They'll have to find out where it landed first!

Probably start looking in the first row.

Reel Big Fish

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020

Crazy. He stood right up after the hit and continued to fight. When did he lose consciousness?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's funny, we spend all our lives watching knock out punches in movies and tv shows but clips like this always remind me of back in the day parking lot fights. The fastest swing of fist can just knock someone out cold and it's never the punch you expect to do it.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, those punches were telegraphed as hell and would be seen from a mile away by a professional boxer.

If you're into evasive fighting, I'd recommend looking into Lerdsila and his ridiculous reflexes:

The man trains by doing limbo lol reminds me of Saenchai

The other super evasive fighter is Vasyl Lomachenko. It's crazy watching him fight, he is so fast and he barely gets hit clean.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I was watching the fight too, and Berchelt's corner should've stopped the fight the round earlier. He never should have been there to catch that KO.

He was out on his feet and fighting on instinct, his body walked into the KO. Ugly, dangerous stuff.