• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was the only way it could end, tbh

I'd love to see the epilogue of Kazomi going back

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
In the future, if any kids come across Box Peek randomly on YouTube, that ending's gonna hit them like an oncoming train, lmao. I loved it and wouldn't have it any other way with Kyle.
how am i just finding out about this.

lmao that first episode was better than i expected
The series just ended, so you picked a pretty good time!

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Bravo.

Going into the finale I was sad this would be it and would always hope for more episodes. But that ending made it a perfect open and shut thing for me.
Devastatingly blunt and bleak but hilarious ending when taking into account the lost and ruined lives for a higher power's distraction. Well done.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite character got their time to shine:

That was the only way poor king Victor could go out. Completely ignored. Though even if the rest of the world moves on, at least his Box Peek Adventure will continue. And if he's the last one left playing, he gets to be champ by default!

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad Box Peek is over but damn that ending.

As goofy as it sounds, I'd love to see a Laser Choppers series.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, that was an excellent finale. I love the whole second half of this show being such a brutal subversion of these kinda shows. It's rough but it's super refreshing. I think the Kazomi episode ended up being my favorite, but the whole second season has been incredible.

Cabana Boy

Oct 28, 2017
That ending song is extremely my jam. Thx Kyle for introducing me to new tunes. Also really enjoyed the season!

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
And so it ends, loved it throughout.
I gotta say that was a good ending. Excited to see more from them, hope we see more papercraft animation.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's the only way it could have ended lol.

Spin-off with Victor when tho

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That... was amazing.

There was a uniquely perfect quality about the ending. A beautiful smart stupidness.

I have no idea how else to put it, lmao.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
From reading the unfilmed final Final Bosman script I was confident Kyle would stick the landing. Expected the sadness but was surprised we didn't get the small uplifting moment he has often tempered his pessimism with. Still a perfect finale, couldn't have been any better. 7.8

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
AbsoluteDismalKarakul-max-1mb.gif

May 30, 2018
From reading the unfilmed final Final Bosman script I was confident Kyle would stick the landing. Expected the sadness but was surprised we didn't get the small uplifting moment he has often tempered his pessimism with. Still a perfect finale, couldn't have been any better. 7.8
i never knew that existed. just finished reading it and it was honestly fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
I will miss that theme song.

Also, in the same spirit as this show, there is a show called Titan Maximum made by the people from Robot Chicken (it's a decade old now? sheeeet, time flies). It's obviously higher budget, but a very similar vibe.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was it that people liked so much about the finale? It just seemed kind of weird and rushed to me.
Jordy just randomly decides that he doesn't like or want to play Box Peek anymore?

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What was it that people liked so much about the finale? It just seemed kind of weird and rushed to me.
Jordy just randomly decides that he doesn't like or want to play Box Peek anymore?

Jordy achieved everything there was to achieve in record time and with minimal effort. Many adults would struggle to stay motivated under those circumstances. And kids need far less to suddenly lose interest in something.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jordy achieved everything there was to achieve in record time and with minimal effort. Many adults would struggle to stay motivated under those circumstances. And kids need far less to suddenly lose interest in something.
It very much to me feels like a "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet" ending. It's as if they learned they were being cancelled with only 1 episode left, and had to pull this weird swerve to reach any kind of conclusion or closure. It makes the meandering nature of the previous episodes a little more frustrating too.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The game stopped being fun for him. It was pretty clear in his negative reaction to hearing that the whole world would be watching and that he was some "chosen one." Those are things he didn't want, hence the dragon's inability to discern his will or intent. He didn't want to play anymore. The game was more important to those around him than it was to him...people committed murder, left others for dead, and died for Jordy.

If the beating heart of shonen is the protagonist's drive to achieve their goal (King of the Pirates, Hokage, Greatest Hero, whatever) while making friends with those who support them along the way, then the subversion of that is to make the protagonist not care or lose interest despite the support of their friends. The previous episodes exist entirely for this final turn, IMO. Given the format and runtime, I think it was all set up pretty well to reach that conclusion in a sensible way.
Bosman is a genius

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It very much to me feels like a "Poochie died on the way back to his home planet" ending. It's as if they learned they were being cancelled with only 1 episode left, and had to pull this weird swerve to reach any kind of conclusion or closure. It makes the meandering nature of the previous episodes a little more frustrating too.

Those "meandering" episodes prove the swerve did not come out of nowhere but was the point all along and planned from the first minute.

Kazomi's, Bronze Fang's, Peek Ref 12's, Victor's, Denise's and CD's fates tie directly into Jordy's decision in the finale. They show what happens if you build your life, sacrifices, plans and crimes around a child that will drop anything on a whim.

Box Peek wasn't about the game of Box Peek. It was about the absurdity of a world where everyone cares so much about such a thing and all the stupid ways born from that investment which aren't explored in shows like Pokemon or Yugioh.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for informing me about the unfilmed final Final Bosman script. Holy shit, what a ride.

Oh, and Box Peek was great, too!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game stopped being fun for him. It was pretty clear in his negative reaction to hearing that the whole world would be watching and that he was some "chosen one." Those are things he didn't want, hence the dragon's inability to discern his will or intent. He didn't want to play anymore. The game was more important to those around him than it was to him...people committed murder, left others for dead, and died for Jordy.

If the beating heart of shonen is the protagonist's drive to achieve their goal (King of the Pirates, Hokage, Greatest Hero, whatever) while making friends with those who support them along the way, then the subversion of that is to make the protagonist not care or lose interest despite the support of their friends. The previous episodes exist entirely for this final turn, IMO. Given the format and runtime, I think it was all set up pretty well to reach that conclusion in a sensible way.
See I thought the joke was just that

Once the Shonen character achieves the goal the story's over (That's why Pokemon Master is so vaguely described and why Ash wasn't allowed to win a league for so long) and that these worlds that revolve around children's games are doomed to fail at some point. Imagine what would happen if the entire US economy relied heavily on Fortnite. Now imagine if Ninja got bored and quit. If Kaiba Corp was real their company would be in the toilet right now

Even Kazomi was a deconstruction of that trope with mecha/Sentai shows that employ children or teenagers to defend the planet

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I gotta say I am really impressed by what Kyle did here. The comedy, the characters, the nonsense, it's all so incredibly well done.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
As long as I get a new series from Kyle with Amanda as a lead again, I'm absolutely fine with what happened.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kyle got crazy by the end of this. I watched the sixth episode when it first aired and wasn't really impressed but once I started binging the rest I figured out what he was going for. I didn't think Kyle Bosman was this good of a comedy writer. Adult Swim should hire him.

Nov 11, 2017
Kyle got crazy by the end of this. I watched the sixth episode when it first aired and wasn't really impressed but once I started binging the rest I figured out what he was going for. I didn't think Kyle Bosman was this good of a comedy writer. Adult Swim should hire him.
He should just pitch this show or a new idea to a network.