• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Hey all,

I ordered a Series X controller from Target for PC gaming and later found it on sale at Best Buy so I ordered one from there intending to return the one from Target. I hadn't opened either and today the Best Buy order arrived and the packaging is different and seems like one includes a 9' USB-C cable and one does not.

Both say they are Model: 1914 but the one with the USB-C cable is LOT: 2044 and the one without is LOT: 2045. I attached a couple pictures, does anyone know anything about this? Do all future controllers no longer come with a USB-C cable included?

qqLfsNg.jpg

nTo9RAc.jpg

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I think the one with a UBC-C cable is more geared towards being a PC controller. It is the better deal (if the same price), but it is the only way for the controller to work out of the box.

That said, I do wish Microsoft included a Play and Charge kit in every controller so you could have a choice between rechargeable, AAs, or wired.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It's probably just so Microsoft can spend less and waste less on USB-C cables since they assume that if you are buying an Xbox Series controller for your console, then you already have a USB-C cable that was included with it.

Sony did the same thing with the PlayStation 5.

Here are the links for both SKUs on Microsoft's website. The controllers are the same price:

Xbox Series Wireless Controller
Xbox Series Wireless Controller + USB-C Cable

OP
OP
JayBabay

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
So, the controllers are identical then? I'm better off keeping the one with the included USB-C cable if that's the case. The way one just says Wirelsss play and the other specifically says Bluetooth is confusing too.

The one without the cable also includes 2 batteries, whereas the one with doesn't.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just so Microsoft can spend less and waste less on USB-C cables since they assume that if you are buying an Xbox Series controller for your console, then you already have a USB-C cable that was included with it.

Sony did the same thing with the PlayStation 5.

My XSX didn't come with a usb-c cable...?

Dekanach

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the blue shock version and it does not come with a USB-C cable either. I knew this beforehand, so I bought a rechargeable battery and that one does come with a cable.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I think the one with a UBC-C cable is more geared towards being a PC controller. It is the better deal (if the same price), but it is the only way for the controller to work out of the box.

That said, I do wish Microsoft included a Play and Charge kit in every controller so you could have a choice between rechargeable, AAs, or wired.
really

just use rechargeable batteries?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
So, the controllers are identical then? I'm better off keeping the one with the included USB-C cable if that's the case. The way one just says Wirelsss play and the other specifically says Bluetooth is confusing too.

The one without the cable also includes 2 batteries, whereas the one with doesn't.
My XSX didn't come with a usb-c cable...?
The XSX doesn't come with a USB-C cable, apparently.

As already mentioned, the "cable" version is targeted at PC users while the non cable version is targeted at console users. But I totally agree the difference is hard to spot...
Oh, my bad. Sorry about that. I forgot the Xbox Series controllers use AA batteries in addition to having USB-C ports.

It really is a minor difference if you're looking for a black Xbox controller though. Still weird of them.

OP
OP
JayBabay

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
The XSX doesn't come with a USB-C cable, apparently.

As already mentioned, the "cable" version is targeted at PC users while the non cable version is targeted at console users. But I totally agree the difference is hard to spot...

I don't think that is the case because the LOT number should indicate when it came out right? So the more recent LOT number would mean that all future releases are not going to be packed with a USB cable.

Are they totally identical then asides from one coming with batteries included and the other with a cable?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I don't think that is the case because the LOT number should indicate when it came out right? So the more recent LOT number would mean that all future releases are not going to be packed with a USB cable.

Are they totally identical then asides from one coming with batteries included and the other with a cable?

At launch here in Singapore the two types were both sold simultaneously, with the cable version at a premium. I'm not aware of one of them going out of production, though yeah the cable version is harder to find.

OP
OP
JayBabay

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At launch here in Singapore the two types were both sold simultaneously, with the cable version at a premium. I'm not aware of one of them going out of production, though yeah the cable version is harder to find.

Yeah I bought the cable one recently in Singapore as well and it was 5$ more than the one without. 5$ for a pretty long usb c cable is not bad though.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yep, the one with the cable costs the same, it just doesn't include the batteries. I purposely bought that one since the cable can be used to play wired on XSX and also used to charge my Dualsense controllers.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY

As someone who's been using rechargeable AAs for some years, I'm personally glad that they don't include the Play and Charge kit with every controller, because it would just be garbage to me. I haven't plugged in an Xbox controller for years, and I'm not going to start now! Plus it would likely drive up the price.