• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
CEMU had a incredible progression regarding emulation speed, so much that people were suspecting them of having insider information. So far Yuzu's developpement is more "standard" and it has not reached close to CEMU in terms of speed / quality. You can barely play BOTW at 30fps on Yuzu while CEMU you can crank that to 4k with tons of graphics packs at 60fps. I don't think Yuzu will reach CEMU's bar anytime soon and if I'm going to play BOTW2 at 30fps I'll just play on my switch.

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Nah, getting it on release and playing it on Switch. Playing on emulator is nice, but from my experience it's always a huge pain in the ass.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
People forget that just because BotW1 is playbale with no glitches doesn't mean 2 will be like that right out of the gate. I also think calling it a definitive version is dumb when it's not even a new version. It's the Wii U original emulated on a PC that can hack the original and push it in a way it wasn't designed to. It's like calling a modded version of a PC game a new version.

Anyone else think the reshade video is as bad as those Ocarina of Time Unreal fan demos? Like it competely disregards the artistery behind making these games.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Can yuzu play botw at full speed? 30fps? 60fps? Just watched some youtube videos from May 2020. And people from comments were saying that it's still not full speed. I really don't know much about the emu scene, not really following it.

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
The YUZU Patreon has over 4,000 members paying out more than $16 THOUSAND bucks a MONTH. For a small team, that's totally insane.

They're staying busy earning that Switch Emulation money. This has nothing to do with Cemu. It will require an all new emulator, if Cemu was your last experience.

That being said, most everyone I assume wants to play through the experience on Switch instead of constantly ringing "it could look better on PC!" in their heads. Just enjoy it. Stop thinking about how it can be better.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you really think people who play on emulators will buy and then Rip the game?

Oh absolutely, nobody ever commits any piracy on resetera, and how dare you insinuate otherwise.

Incidentally, in order to avoid this problem, every major manga thread has a dedicated time machine that allows people to access the official version several days before it's released, rather than people discussing pirated fanscanlations.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the raytracing in the the night scenes, but I think the look of the day scenes is worse. They have an unnatural contrast and lose the watercolor look of the original.
Agreed, it's a little too much. Personally I was never a fan of the washed out look of the original, but there's a couple of reshade presets in CEMU that keeps the distinct pastel style without going overboard, it simply removes that washed out blanket that was all over the original version and sharpens a little bit of the details.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CEMU had a incredible progression regarding emulation speed, so much that people were suspecting them of having insider information. So far Yuzu's developpement is more "standard" and it has not reached close to CEMU in terms of speed / quality. You can barely play BOTW at 30fps on Yuzu while CEMU you can crank that to 4k with tons of graphics packs at 60fps. I don't think Yuzu will reach CEMU's bar anytime soon and if I'm going to play BOTW2 at 30fps I'll just play on my switch.
from the way people are talking about emulating botw 2 after launch i assumed yuzu can at least run the original in 4k/60fps. not sure how they expect to do that with 2 not having a wii u version (and possibly being a more demanding game than 1).

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm not gonna wait, but i am tempted to play it on emulator at some point, playing through botw at 4k 60 was an amazing experience.

What are the huge differences for those of us who don't play close attention to emulators?

For something like BotW, I don't know that I felt like it really needed more graphical power behind it, since the cartoon aesthetic worked fine at lower resolutions. Higher framerate is always nice, but maybe less of an issue when you spend half the game inching your way up cliff faces.

The resolution and framerate are the huge differences, the game looks so damn nice at higher resolutions and being able to play a game that struggled to hit 30 at times at a rock solid 60 is huge for me at least, if that stuff doesn't matter for you then you should definitely not bother with emulation.

Last edited:

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Oh absolutely, nobody ever commits any piracy on resetera, and how dare you insinuate otherwise.

Incidentally, in order to avoid this problem, every major manga thread has a dedicated time machine that allows people to access the official version several days before it's released, rather than people discussing pirated fanscanlations.

I'm pretty critical of copyright laws myself. I think people stan corporations a little bit too much especially when it comes to out of print media. But like when it comes to an actual product that is available for sale and knowing how many people do pirate and the fact that emulation is a TOOL used by pirates to do it more easily... it makes you think.

NOT THAT I AM CONFLATING EMULATION WITH PIRACY. I AM JUST SAYING PIRATES DO USE IT. Thus it is relevant to bring up in a thread about will people be emulating BotW 2. Especially considering dumping a Swich game requires a Switch with homebrew on. There's a lot of steps to doing this.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how well optimized the game is on the Switch. For BotW, the framerate was pretty bad in spots and the resolution made it hard to play on an external display. Emulating it fixed that entirely. I have no issue with waiting a few years if necessary.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. I tend to see emulation as a compromise, with the better performance and convenience being mere consolation.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
No, I'll play the sequel to one of the best games of all time on launch day. You can wait for as long as you want for some "definitive" version.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
why is this topic made about botw2 over any single other game?

Some of the other popular Switch games usually come with integral online components, which holds their emulated versions back from being labeled as "definitive". For example, I could care less about Mario Kart 8D and Super Smash Bros Ultimate running well on the Yuzu emulator, because for me those games are all about their online events and multiplayer modes. Then there's Animal Crossing, which is quite literally useless without its events and social aspects lol.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I don't even own a PC anymore, so yeah I'm gonna play it on Switch 4 or 5 times, then maybe replay it on Raspberry Pi in 20 years when that's fast enough.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I might need to check out the emulated version of the first game. I own it on Switch, but I kinda burned out after about a dozen hours, and the awful image quality was definitely part of it.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'll play it on Switch, but if it's somehow perfect or near perfect on Yuzu within a few days of launch (doubtful) I'll probably switch over to playing it there. Breath of the Wild at 4k or ultrawide + 60 fps is pretty amazing.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
The YUZU Patreon has over 4,000 members paying out more than $16 THOUSAND bucks a MONTH. For a small team, that's totally insane.

They're staying busy earning that Switch Emulation money. This has nothing to do with Cemu. It will require an all new emulator, if Cemu was your last experience.

That being said, most everyone I assume wants to play through the experience on Switch instead of constantly ringing "it could look better on PC!" in their heads. Just enjoy it. Stop thinking about how it can be better.
If you can't spend your free time incessantly pointing out how much better something is that no one asked you about, you haven't lived.

That aside, I'll be on switch.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing BotW on Cemu alternating in between the Zelda and Linkle mods, and it's basically impossible for me to go back to the Switch version.

Assuming it's fine on the Switch emulator on release, yeah, probably gonna go that route assuming the sequel looks and performs similar to the first one on the Switch.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People forget that just because BotW1 is playbale with no glitches doesn't mean 2 will be like that right out of the gate. I also think calling it a definitive version is dumb when it's not even a new version. It's the Wii U original emulated on a PC that can hack the original and push it in a way it wasn't designed to. It's like calling a modded version of a PC game a new version.

Anyone else think the reshade video is as bad as those Ocarina of Time Unreal fan demos? Like it competely disregards the artistery behind making these games.
It's literally a version that allows you to play it at 4k/60fps.

Shaders and mods are completely optional.

Of course that's the definitive version when the alternative is 20-30fps/720p.

Some of the other popular Switch games usually come with integral online components, which holds their emulated versions back from being labeled as "definitive". For example, I could care less about Mario Kart 8D and Super Smash Bros Ultimate running well on the Yuzu emulator, because for me those games are all about their online events and multiplayer modes. Then there's Animal Crossing, which is quite literally useless without its events and social aspects lol.
Wait... But Smash online is ass on the Switch.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Emulated BotW is amazing just for being able to get stuff like this:

It maybe just be a model swap, but it's still really awesome adventuring around as Zelda and having tons of great quality outfit options too on top of it. Mods do what Nintendon't.

Jul 25, 2020
I like the raytracing in the the night scenes, but I think the look of the day scenes is worse. They have an unnatural contrast and lose the watercolor look of the original.
That user went a little overboard with the reshade settings. You can make it a lot more subtle.
As for Botw 2 i don't think it's gonna be ready for emulation at Day 1.The switch emulator still has some ways to go.Most ppl won't wait for that.

Last edited:

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming Yuzu can run it at 4K/60fps day one, I would still probably play it on Switch. I can't be bothered to mod my Switch and move my PC to use the big screen (I don't like playing single-player adventure games at my desk with a monitor).

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Emulated BotW is amazing just for being able to get stuff like this:

It maybe just be a model swap, but it's still really awesome adventuring around as Zelda and having tons of great quality outfit options too on top of it. Mods do what Nintendon't.

The most impressive thing about these is the effort they go through to replace all the outfits too.

Currently playing with a Zelda one where they replaced animations too.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I got about halfway thru breath of the wild on my Wii U, then transferred the game and my saves to my PC and finished it on Cemu. I'm hopeful I can do the same for BOTW2

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Well Yuzu is not nearly as developed as CEMU, and BoTW2 will be switch only so unless Yuzu makes some marked improvement it'll be some time before you will be able to emulate it well enough to a level to call it the definitive edition.

You can adjust the contrast via reshade to make it more subtle. But also part of the "contrast" you are seeing is that objects just have shadows/AO now and before they didn't, most prominently seen in the grass. And make no mistake, if Nintendo was able to they absolutely would have added AO for grass via say HBAO or something equivalent to it but they obviously couldn't due to performance reasons, that doesn't necessarily go against the water colour style as the game uses AO in other parts of the scene where it can.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably play and beat it on Switch and revisit it on emulator later when Switch emulation is actually enough of an upgrade to warrant the massive pain in the ass that is dumping games.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
You can adjust the contrast via reshade to make it more subtle. But also part of the "contrast" you are seeing is that objects just have shadows/AO now and before they didn't, most prominently seen in the grass. And make no mistake, if Nintendo was able to they absolutely would have added AO for grass via say HBAO or something equivalent to it but they obviously couldn't due to performance reasons, that doesn't necessarily go against the water colour style as the game uses AO in other parts of the scene where it can.

It's not just that. BotW has a low gamma in its daytime scenes, and I think that results in a more natural look that does a better job of reproducing the feeling of being outdoors on a sunny day. The other image looks more like wearing sunglasses.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Damn, was a 3 days ban for that comment really necessary lol ?
Yes. Zero Tolerance for that shit. Should have been longer.

I will definitely play it on PC eventually, but if it's gonna be 30fps either way I'd rather play it on Switch first. But I have already replayed BOTW twice on PC after my initial Switch run, I'm sure I will replay 2 at least once. That will be in 4k/60. The definitive version. That's not obnoxious, that's just a fact.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You really gonna wait an entire year or so to avoid playing the sequel of one of Nintendo's best games of all time on their hardware? Just because?

I'll be there on the Switch Day 1 lmao.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
You really gonna wait an entire year or so to avoid playing the sequel of one of Nintendo's best games of all time on their hardware? Just because?

I'll be there on the Switch Day 1 lmao.

No. Not just "because".

The reasons why can be seen by googling the PC emulated version on youtube.

Who cares about day 1? It's not like the game is going to disappear after that. It'll still be there when I get to it and get to play it in a way that let's the artists vision shine through what will be siginificant hardware limitations of the console.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No. Not just "because".

The reasons why can be seen by googling the PC emulated version on youtube.

Who cares about day 1? It's not like the game is going to disappear after that. It'll still be there when I get to it and get to play it in a way that let's the artists vision shine through what will be siginificant hardware limitations of the console.
I have some news for you, the artists vision is for the game to be played on a switch, every Nintendo first party game is envisioned to be played on a switch

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It's literally a version that allows you to play it at 4k/60fps.

Shaders and mods are completely optional.

Of course that's the definitive version when the alternative is 20-30fps/720p.

Wait... But Smash online is ass on the Switch.
its literally the same version as the console game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.