• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This question boils down to "are AA games more interesting than AAA games". Yes they are. General location of devs is only marginally important.
Japan doesn't have anything at the size of Tencent, ActiBlizzard and EA, and so they don't release profit based greatest common denominator stuff. (Or they do this in the mobile phone scene which is also more lucrative in Japan and has awful gacha)
Smaller budgets and tight projected ROI force you to have to stand out more by doing one thing very well.
I think this is very much true. However, the AA titles that come from Japan benefit from having some of the biggest names in the industry, with tons of experience in action gameplay.

So it still contributes to this perception, in a way.

I do find games like Vampyr and the kind of stuff Focus Home likes to publish far more interesting than the vast majority of western AAA titles, but they still suffer from the budget limitations you'd expect from a western AA game. They just can't compare 1 to 1 to what we consider AAA in the context of the japanese industry.

Maybe with time they'll get there. I'm very much looking forward to the next game by the same core team who made Vampyr, one of my favorite 2018 games. The Darksiders 3 guys are also incredibly talented, they're probably the ones in the western AA space that get the closest to the kind of experience I enjoy the most in japanese games. Amazing title.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Biggest and best isn't really the same thing though. I mean the top 3 games competing for the GOTY from last year was Sekiro, Resident Evil 2 and Death Stranding. All from japanese devs. And this isn't just on Era, this is all over the globe.
It could be that 2019 was a year when western devs were ramping up for next gen though. But I think especially Capcom deserve some serious praise for their output lately and RE3 comes out 2020 and looks amazing as well, they've been pumping out top quality games at an insane rate.

From that topic:

Death Stranding - 73

Resident Evil 2 - 68

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 48

Control - 25

Disco Elysium - 14

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 8

The Outer Worlds - 8

Outer Wilds - 6

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 6

Western games had plenty of awesome games last year too.

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest and best isn't really the same thing though. I mean the top 3 games competing for the GOTY from last year was Sekiro, Resident Evil 2 and Death Stranding. All from japanese devs. And this isn't just on Era, this is all over the globe.

Since you want to play the GOTY card:
2003 - 2010 -> One Jp title and 7 western titles
2011 GOTY winner -> Western title
2012 GOTY winner -> Western title
2013 GOTY winner -> Western title
2014 GOTY winner -> Western title
2015 GOTY winner -> Western title
2016 GOTY winner -> Western title
2017 GOTY winner -> Japanese title
2018 GOTY winner -> Western title

The only Japanese games that claimed the GOTY in the last 16 years were RE4 16 years ago and BOTW 3 years ago.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It could be that 2019 was a year when western devs were ramping up for next gen though. But I think especially Capcom deserve some serious praise for their output lately and RE3 comes out 2020 and looks amazing as well, they've been pumping out top quality games at an insane rate.

i mean, by that token there's still a huge swath of indie games that will never win goty cause they don't have the marketing budget.

Ditto for genre like Strategy or Multiplayer games.

I dunno, i feel like Capcom having a good run is a much different proposition than "japanese games have surpassed western ones". To me at least that implies more than 3 games.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Japan's output is trash and will be trash since nothing even come close to revolutionary industry defining Knack.
Also it's so funny how I never ever see opposite threads getting made. Propping up western output but downplaying Japanese. It's always the other way around, there's like few threads a months like this.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
I don't see why being-Sony leaning means you prefer Japanese games when a lot of their bigger exclusives are western developed. God of War, Uncharted, Until Dawn, Horizon, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us are some good recent examples.
It doesn't, but the sheer amount of Japanese games available on PS versus any other platform means the JP game enthusiasts are going to be on PS. I'd be confident you could take all the PS-preferring users of this forum that don't like JP games and leave just those that do and they'd still outnumber Xbox enthusiasts by a large margin.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan's output is trash and will be trash since nothing even come close to revolutionary industry defining Knack.
Also it's so funny how I never ever see opposite threads getting made. Propping up western output but downplaying Japanese. It's always the other way around, there's like few threads a months like this.
Isn't Knack from Sony Japan Studio?

Checkmate.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I like BOTW it feels more like a western game than I'd wanted it to be.
FF7R is not even out yet.
The others I still hadn't played.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Im happy to see Japan getting its collective shit together because for a while they were struggling with HD development but surpassed??? ITs video games and everyone is making money moves in many different genres and succeeding. Is Japan better at certain genres? For sure. Same for the west. But lets not do this. Its kinda weird.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
There's definitely a difference in approach to game development and some people like this more, others that.

What I find interesting is that - And I'm just guessing here - due to most western studios nowadays thinking that Open World is the pinnacle of level design, it's surprisingly hard to find level designers out there that actually know what they're doing. Sculpting some terrain and then having to fill it up with content is a completely different discipline than actually properly grayboxing every inch of an experience in the way Nintendo, From, etc. do it.

Y'all would be surprised how many designers in this industry with 10+ years of experience don't even know the basics of level design. They all think they do, of course, but once you put them to a test, it's very obvious that this skill has almost gone missing. I would bet that if you'd have some of the 'best' designers out there trying to make a 3d Mario level, they'd fail on oh so many levels... there's still a few great ones out there and usually we gobble those up at Moon, but it's a sad thing to realize that due to the open world bullshit, we're seeing an entire generation of designers who just really lack even understanding the basics of how level design works.

And I mean, I've seen this stuff before. The games industry used to be full of people who knew how to paint, but since ZBrush and sculpting took over for character art, it's now pretty hard to find people who know how to properly paint textures. And I mean not in terms of tech, but in terms of Art.

I guess the market just gets what the market wants. Japan is a bit different, usually they don't do open world stuff and usually their games don't try to be massive systemic experiences that take 50+ hours to finish. At that level, knowing how to make things tight is far more important.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
They never needed surpassing as Japanese devs were always better imo. Just the west has casualised games more so you see them more and marketed better maybe.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I have to echo those who feel that members tend to have a very narrow view of what is: "Good gameplay" as it really does boil down to: "Third Person Action Game" and looks at only a few quantities. Like slowness is usually considered "bad" for some nebulous reason, though that thankfully is becoming less used.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nah but they are getting there. They had damn near an entire generation where they just couldn't do right and kept fucking up. They have done a great job with getting up to speed with current tech and such and I expect them to keep improving

They excel at some type of games like platformers, fighting and action games (usually with a heavy focus on melee). It just so happens those genres are very popular in places like era. Most other genres I think the west have the east beat, shooters, rpgs, racing, strategy, immersive sims, open worlds, sports, rts + a huge indie scene that often makes amazing games as well.
^ Also compare Japanese games that are said to have good writing to the ones in the west. The gap is hilarious. You aren't getting Disco Elysium from Japan anytime soon. Shouts out to fromsoft tho. If you read what is there and piece it together , it's pretty good.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, none of those games come close to surpassing the popularity of the most popular western titles. That said, I also don't think any of those games have a direct competitor developed by a western studio.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we have to lump them all together, japanese devs have been as bad as they've been since the start of last gen. Its shocking how bd world building and narrative is in so many japanese games. Even those that try are surpassed by indie efforts.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Topics like these are the real reason I feel embarrassed to call myself a gamer.

The insistence on drawing a weird racial line between video game developers while also downplaying the effort and experience that specific Japanese game creators have attained over their lifetime. And that's before getting into all the amazing western games as well.

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a difference in approach to game development and some people like this more, others that.

What I find interesting is that - And I'm just guessing here - due to most western studios nowadays thinking that Open World is the pinnacle of level design, it's surprisingly hard to find level designers out there that actually know what they're doing. Sculpting some terrain and then having to fill it up with content is a completely different discipline than actually properly grayboxing every inch of an experience in the way Nintendo, From, etc. do it.

Y'all would be surprised how many designers in this industry with 10+ years of experience don't even know the basics of level design. They all think they do, of course, but once you put them to a test, it's very obvious that this skill has almost gone missing. I would bet that if you'd have some of the 'best' designers out there trying to make a 3d Mario level, they'd fail on oh so many levels... there's still a few great ones out there and usually we gobble those up at Moon, but it's a sad thing to realize that due to the open world bullshit, we're seeing an entire generation of designers who just really lack even understanding the basics of how level design works.

And I mean, I've seen this stuff before. The games industry used to be full of people who knew how to paint, but since ZBrush and sculpting took over for character art, it's now pretty hard to find people who know how to properly paint textures. And I mean not in terms of tech, but in terms of Art.

I guess the market just gets what the market wants. Japan is a bit different, usually they don't do open world stuff and usually their games don't try to be massive systemic experiences that take 50+ hours to finish. At that level, knowing how to make things tight is far more important.
Yep, this perfectly exemplifies the issue. Or at least the issue people who tend to prefer japanese games see. It may not be an issue to people who do find said open world titles far more engaging.

But for my money, I'm really glad you guys are keeping the level design torch lit. I tend to be a more combat oriented player, but as far as platforming goes, Ori is BY FAR the best metroidvania title I've ever played. Plenty of exhilarating challenges that made for some of the most memorable levels in the genre, even though I'm not much of a platformer player myself.

I'm also glad that apparently the developers who are indeed the exception in this vision some of us have of the industry seem to be aware of the reasons behind it, and also aware that they're exceptions themselves.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really like this thread premise. We can discuss differences in design philosophy without pitting them against each other region vs region style.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love games from all regions, but for my personal preferences in games, no. I'd most likely take stuff like The Last of Us, God of War, Grand Theft Auto, Uncharted, The Witcher, Red Dead Redemption, Spiderman, Destiny, Halo, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gears etc over the said and other Japanese games if I was really forced to make a decision, and likewise with picking games like Cyberpunk and The Last of Us 2 over Final Fantasy Remake etc. That said, why even make the distinction? I'd say there's an abundance of quality from all regions.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Japan has transitioned REALLY well into the HD era. It was rough going for a while, but now they are shining and I love it. I can't always play everything, but I love their creativity.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Dishonored 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Mario + Rabbids
Hitman 1/2
Batman series
Forza Horizon
Endless Series

Total War
Dying Light
GTA V
Minecraft

And i can go on, YES EUROPE IS VERY BAD at making games.
lol, you cannot be serious. European dev teams make lots of incredible games.
first of all, this is my opinion, there is no objectivity in here. some people just love jp games, some only shooters, and some, they care about everything.
i care about good games, but i rarely see good games from europe.
i did not know, that batman and forza horizon-series are being developed in EU. same
and gta5 is from the US, isnt it?

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
It's obviously all a case of preferences, but with exception of crpgs, I ALWAYS liked japanese output. Only time they were struggling imo, is where they were trying to mimick western approach. So, if you are into japanese game design, especially for action games, they always were better to you.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The fact that it's games made from the entirety of the Western world versus specifically Japanese-developed games is hilarious to me.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
first of all, this is my opinion, there is no objectivity in here. some people just love jp games, some only shooters, and some, they care about everything.
i did not know, that batman and forza horizon-series are being developed in EU. same
and gta5 is from the US, isnt it?

This is murky because there's a bunch of studios that worked on GTA but Rockstar North is based in Scottland.

Oct 26, 2017

This makes 0 sense, because YOU DON'T WANT to see good games from Europe, it's different.
And there's a big difference between saying that you don't like western/eu games and that there are not good games made by EU devs, the former is an opinion, the latter is a false statement.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
^ Also compare Japanese games that are said to have good writing to the ones in the west. The gap is hilarious. You aren't getting Disco Elysium from Japan anytime soon. Shouts out to fromsoft tho. If you read what is there and piece it together , it's pretty good.

Disco Elysium is not the norm. Most western games have just "okay" or bad writing, like japanese games.

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't care about first person shooters, third person shooters, indie or strategy games, I guess.
Also, Japanese games are extremely lacking when it comes to multiplayer. Pretty much none of the popular online competitive games are from Japan.
So this thread gets a big yikes from me for people being so limited with their genre choices.

Last edited:

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you're looking for. I'm more of an indie fan so I prefer western games. Also (might be an unpopular opinion): Western games are objectively better written.
Writing is not even a priority in most Japanese games. They focus more on interactivity and gameplay. Besides, for good writing, if that's what I'm looking for, video games aren't where I'd be looking.