• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy an adaptive sync display for your PS5/Xbox SX (or PC)?

• Yes

Votes: 227 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 164 29.7%
  • Already own one

Votes: 162 29.3%

• Total voters

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This was confirmed for both consoles a while ago, but that thread about Greenberg's 60hz tweet had me wondering how many people are looking forward to the new systems supporting VRR. Now the Xbox One X does already have VRR, but it's very limited because 1.) most TVs currently don't support it 2.) not every game uses it apparently.

With HDMI 2.1 coming, VRR will now be standard. Because of that, TVs are also now supporting VRR as well. That means you don't need a monitor to get adaptive sync -- for those that are adamant about their TV-comfy couch experience. There are a few TVs out there with support already - LG's 9 series, many of Samsung's 2018/19 QLEDs, and some new TCLs just to name a few.

Of course, PC has had VRR for years. And there are tons of monitors that have adaptive sync support, either through FreeSync or GSync. And I can assure you, it's a game changer.

Here are some advantages of VRR:
  • No more screen tearing
  • No more frame pacing/stuttering problems
  • Makes unlocked frame rates WAY more viable
^ This isn't always 100% true, but it's the case the vast majority of the time.

So is this a feature you care about? Do you think it's worth upgrading your TV or monitor for? With more games having performance modes on consoles, I feel like VRR is more attractive since it can help iron out those performance issues that often come with higher framerates. I personally already own a gsync monitor, but adaptive sync will be a must for my next TV purchase.

If you don't really know what VRR is and how it benefits games, this DigitalFoundry video does a good job of explaining it.

I actually thought DF had a tech focus video for VRR, but apparently they don't. Dictator any possibility of one in the future?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, especially considering the round of TVs that support it can also do 4K/120/HDR. All that combined will be everything I need for quite some time.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
G-Sync/VRR is absolutely worth the upgrade cost. I hope it works well for consoles too.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
My Samsung TV supports FreeSync, would that be compatible with PS5 or is there a new VRR method for these consoles?

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
FreeSync and related technology will probably just be standard in a few years so, consoles supporting them seems like a good call.

I bet the biggest advantage to console developers will be the ability to lock a frame rate that is not a multiple of 30.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've been looking forward to upgrading to 2.1 BECAUSE of VRR since its features were announced! TV, receiver, and consoles are going to make for a slick home entertainment upgrade!

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
LG C9 owner so thankfully yes. Would this in theory help say bloodborne frame pacing through PS5 BC?

Jun 17, 2018
Not every game supports freesync? Makes sense as I did wonder why there was so much tearing in Warzone on Xbox One X. Looking forward to it becoming a proper standard next gen.

Deleted member 44122

i have a freesync monitor but its hdmi 2.0. so i probably wont be able to use it with the new consoles?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I might try and to a monitor upgrade in my gaming room where I do all my capture stuff. I'll wait it out and see what comes around the back end of the Fall season.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
For VRR would the games have to support it or is it automatic if you have the right hardware?

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
My Samsung TV supports FreeSync, would that be compatible with PS5 or is there a new VRR method for these consoles?

Unknown at the moment. If the consoles only support HDMI 2.1 VRR, and not Freesync itself, than you're out of luck.

I assumed they were one and the same, but got burned by recent video cards supporting 2.1 VRR but not Freesync.

At the moment, VRR is a mess of competing standards.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have an adaptive sync monitor but I do plan on getting an adaptive sync TV whenever I pick up a PS5.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I have one for my PC. I'll probably pick up a 4k monitor that's compatible with it when I'm able to. TVs are way too expensive right now for me to even think about that, so I'll stick with a monitor until they go down in price.

If they're compatible with FreeSync and don't require HDMI-based VRR then even better.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I will upgrade once HDMI2.1 receivers are on the market and and I make sure VRR works when the console is connected to the receiver instead of directly to the TV.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I have a gsync monitor for my computer already and it's amazing. I highly recommend people getting these upcoming consoles get a VRR TV if possible.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I am in the market for a new tv, sure. It will be a long time before that happens though. My current tv still works.

Oct 25, 2017
If unlocked frame rates that rarely reach 60 are very common then yes I would make sure my next TV has VRR. By the time I get one they probably all will, anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have two gsync monitors (120 and 144hz). I like my current tv (LG B7OLED) quite a bit, but I will probably be looking to get a newer model within the next two years to gain access to newer features.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I made sure the TV I was buying had support. I wouldn't upgrade just for it, but I do think it could be one of the more important features next gen - especially later in the gen any uncalled frame rates dropping below 60fps would benefit hugely from it

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My next monitor will have some sort of VRR. I'm planning on upgrading to a Nvidia GPU, but who knows what I'll end up with.
I'll probably wait for a good 27" 1440p G-Sync IPS one with HDMI 2.1 that fits on my desk. If there will be such a thing.