• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"As a leader in technology, you can show that you are motivated by facts, not fear. As a leader in gaming and culture, you can show that you believe in connection, not isolation."

The mayor's right, but what can you really do? I suspect Sony has already cancelled their hotels and plane tickets.

I wouldn't have expected local politicians to get involved in this, so it's kind of nice to see them concerned with the health of big gaming conventions.

I don't know where to begin, but let's start with the notion that the major is doing this out of any concern for gaming as opposed to revenue and go from there.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The risk isn't just the thousands of people their employees will be exposed to at the event, but the tens of thousands possible interactions each employee would have just traveling there and back.

This is just a promotional event, not mandatory to conduct business. It's absolutely not worth the risk, especially when it can take 2 weeks to show any symptoms meaning your company may be fucked and not know it so easily.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Square only scaled back their plans rather than a full pullout, and Facebook only pulled out of GDC.

Sony's also a much bigger company in the public eye than Square, as well as more important to the profitability of PAX as an event.
Facebook only cancelled their GDC appearance and Square-Enix is still attending PAX East. They cancelled some FFXIV events, but are still doing a full demo and blowout on FF7 Remake.

Ah got it, thanks. I misread the post

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"As a leader in technology, you can show that you are motivated by facts, not fear. As a leader in gaming and culture, you can show that you believe in connection, not isolation."

The mayor's right, but what can you really do? I suspect Sony has already cancelled their hotels and plane tickets.

I wouldn't have expected local politicians to get involved in this, so it's kind of nice to see them concerned with the health of big gaming conventions.
The fact is that Sony are also people who are human and have human fears. It's also true that the volume of people in an enclosed space has historically been a transmission vector for conference bugs. The traditional joke being that you get sick as shit after attending here is something they don't want to risk after crossing paths with thousands of people there and back again.

their business won't live and die on not attending, and there will be another PAX next year. This is a marketing event ffs noting more.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It has nothing to do with the city. These are events that people come from all over the world to attend, and hence there's a potentially increased risk. Same with GDC. Same potentially with E3 itself, if the outbreak isn't considered mostly contained by then.

Lots of people, clustered close together. All it takes is one person. I don't blame Sony for not wanting to risk it. Plus, these aren't exactly high-stakes events for them from a business perspective.
It'a ridiculous that people still can't (or refuse) to see the issue from this perspective.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing to do with big gaming conventions and more to be seen as a place where business can be conducted. They don't want Boston to have the stink of coronavirus affecting any kind of public gathering regardless of whether the risk is low or not.

if this were a big pharmaceutical company pulling out of DrugCon in Boston you can be sure they'd be saying the same message. It's about the dollar.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I understand Sony's reasoning behind this, but at the same time I don't. Aren't there thousands of people flying into boston all the time, don't the airports have screening programs now, aren't there travel restrictions in place as well?

It's too bad sony wont be there, I still think the show will be good.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Well... I mean the risk is not the city itself, it is the international event that will see people travelling from all around the world to be there.
Sony did right and should not change idea.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which of you Era member is the mayor?

I understand Sony's decision but I do hope they reconsider.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's kinda fucked up playing the "for the good of the collective" card when a company is just being cautious and looking out for the well being of it's employees. I wish more companies would do the same.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As things are getting worse why would they?
The mayor actually has some interesting points that should be considered especially when it comes to anti-asian sentiments and general fear-mongering, other companies might follow too (which is already happening). I doubt they'll change their mind though since it seems to be a whole company policy

Jun 23, 2019
Chinatown revenue is down by a lot and literally in the last week they made an outward showing of support to patronize Boston Chinatown businesses. That statement ties into that.

Let's not act like this wasn't already the case before the Coronavirus. Xenophobia and racism has run rampant through Boston for decades. This is the Boston mayor worried about revenue lost.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, this is totally about the health and welfare of local businesses -- as well as the health of PAX East, which seems to be struggling to sell tickets this year. Though admittedly they probably over-extended themselves by expanding the show to 4 days, and made matters worse by scheduling the show in what is essentially the dead of Boston's winter season.

Judging by ticket availability ticket sales seem down, but I think in part it has to do with PAX implementing and promoting official ticket reselling. People don't need to necessarily buy a 4-day pass because Saturday tickets are sold out.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
The mayor is thirsty to be the last of us.
I mean we are seeing it now in Italy and other places that it spreads super fast, so I don't fault any large organization from avoiding being the catalyst for something like this. Can you imagine if some company's global meetings gets associated with the spread of the virus? The cruises are taking a beating already.

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with the city. These are events that people come from all over the world to attend, and hence there's a potentially increased risk. Same with GDC. Same potentially with E3 itself, if the outbreak isn't considered mostly contained by then.

Lots of people, clustered close together. All it takes is one person. I don't blame Sony for not wanting to risk it. Plus, these aren't exactly high-stakes events for them from a business perspective.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I mean we are seeing it now in Italy and other places that it spreads super fast, so I don't fault any large organization from avoiding being the catalyst for something like this. Can you imagine if some company's global meetings gets associated with the spread of the virus? The cruises are taking a beating already.

Oh of course, I totally understand why any company thinks it's prudent to not attend big events with people from all around the world at the moment.
I was just making a dumb joke about the mayor's motivation :p

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony thinks that being in Boston will be the issue and they surely dont give a shit about Boston's local economy. They dont want to put their employees from East Asia onto international flights, it's pretty simple

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
This isn't exclusive to Sony. I work at a major international company, not in the gaming industry but even we have received travel bans in and out of APAC until the end of March and Italy until the second week of March.

People need to realize that this is a big deal outside of their control.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Company: assesses risk and decides that employee safety is paramount above all else.
Gamers: Aww c'mon how about you put that in the back seat because video games? Please?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not act like this wasn't already the case before the Coronavirus. Xenophobia and racism has run rampant through Boston for decades. This is the Boston mayor worried about revenue lost.

Yes, but the numbers for Asian businesses across the country are rough after this outbreak. A couple weeks back, some paper in NYC ran a headline about Covid hitting the city but their evidence in that particular report amounted to "an Asian-looking guy sneezed on the subway."

I think it's good to clamp down on this. People are acting like this shit is The Stand or something, and the anti-Asian sentiment brewing in places is gonna get someone beaten up for coughing if places keep up the sensationalism. Sony skipping a big event isn't the cause of that, but at this point, basically every presser about the coronavirus should start with a calm rundown of the facts, followed by calls for rational civility.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
PAX East is going to be packed with people traveling from all over the world. You can start a cluster of infected in no time. I don't like that he's trying to paint it as something else. It has nothing to do with the city of Boston.
That's definitely overstating it quite a bit. The overwhelming majority will be local residents. I can't imagine more than 2-3% of attendees would be traveling abroad (and most would be from Canada if anything).

Obviously only 1 person is necessary to spread something though and any international travelers could pose a risk but the chances are very slim.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it's about being in Boston necessarily. Their employees will need to take a bunch of international flights no?

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Mayor wants that sweet PS5 reveal...

ps5-design-playstation-5-concept-render-2.jpg
Is that a vcr

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with the mayor on this one. This would be like cancelling your travel plans during flu season because you're afraid one of your associates might get sick. It's pointless and only serves to heighten fears about a strain of virus that isn't even in this city.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with the mayor on this one. This would be like cancelling your travel plans during flu season because you're afraid one of your associates might get sick. It's pointless and only serves to heighten fears about a strain of virus that isn't even in this city.
Nobody ever argued or stated that they are cancelling their attendances because "the virus is in this city".
Maybe there is also a slight difference between you traveling alone and an expo with thousands of people coming together from all over the globe, passing through hundreds of different airports on their way and getting exposed to millions of people. But maybe it's also the same. Who knows.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
My god people still trying compare this to the flu.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody ever argued or stated that they are cancelling their attendances because "the virus is in this city".
Maybe there is also a slight difference between you traveling alone and an expo with thousands of people coming together from all over the globe, passing through hundreds of different airports on their way and getting exposed to millions of people. But maybe it's also the same. Who knows.
Idk, it just seems like people are being pointlessly fearmongery over a virus that is only marginally more deadly than seasonal flu in healthy adults. I guess I'm just frustrated because this is the city I live in and Sony not being here for our biggest gaming event of the year sucks.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I doubt Sony thinks that being in Boston will be the issue and they surely dont give a shit about Boston's local economy. They dont want to put their employees from East Asia onto international flights, it's pretty simple
Then don't send their East Asian employees. Sony's PAX Australia booth was run mostly by local event personnel, and a few key local Sony staff who had obtained code to run the games. I can understand a scale-back if they were showing early code from Japanese titles or had special international guest panels and they were hesitant about flying people over; but cancelling wholesale seems like a bit much when they have so much local talent. Even if they said they were withdrawing all new content and just did a Greatest/Current Hits display of Death Stranding/Medievil/Concrete Genie etc giving itcompletely to the local Boston Sony reps to run, that seems more reasonable than a 100% exodus.

Hell, set up some tables and just have Patapon 2 running all weekend.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The Boston mayor says he's concerned about racism against Asians in the wake of the corona virus outbreak... and yet he wants a Sony to send their Asian staff over here?

Haven't we been hearing about the persecution of Asians in the US over unwarranted corona virus fears?

If I was the mayor, I'd be concerned in the current climate that bringing over a large crowd of non-English speaking Asians could lead to an international incident when a Sony staffer might walk into a restaurant for some of Boston's famous local cuisine only to face violence from some idiot Bostoninan "Errr mah Gawd! Ee's speakin Chinese! This guys got the beer virus! Let's get im!"

which would be dumb since... if you thought someone had the virus, why would you want to get close enough to harass them and possibly contract it yourself?