• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
wf.gif

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So what's everybody doing when this thing goes after you

This video is 7 years old. I wonder how that thing works now and how it looks

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019

These are still the scariest ones, IMO. Giant, creepy, wheeled robot birds that move way too smooth and in such an alien way. Gives me the fucking shivers.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Surveillance and data gathering. So, something like a security guard or possibly many other applications.

$74.5K. A bit more than the average annual salary of an employee.
That doesn't seem unreasonable considering it can work 24 hours a day for multiple years and never has to be paid. If this critter can replace a worker and do the same job reasonably well, I can see a lot of businesses finding a use for it.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Surveillance and data gathering. So, something like a security guard or possibly many other applications.

$74.5K. A bit more than the average annual salary of an employee.
That doesn't seem unreasonable considering it can work 24 hours a day for multiple years and never has to be paid. If this critter can replace a worker and do the same job reasonably well, I can see a lot of businesses finding a use for it.
It doesn't get cold, drink coffee, smoke or take vacations either.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I'd have two of them guard my home.You see one of those walking around with turrents on their back, you'd stay the hell away.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For a less snarky answer - this is advanced robotics that was millions in research and development. This is the start. This is where companies determine the need for such a thing. As an IT guy, I will tell you that if it provided what is necessary for a worker that you would pay 60k+ a year to, and you don't have to worry about liability or health concerns that come with the job - I would consider it. If it provides a need (or better still, a WANT) and there is a demand, BD will produce more. Larger production = lower costs, lower costs = lower price for kickable dancing robot. You might be able to get one for 10k someday!
I think another thing to consider here is that this was developed for the military and with military money, and things that are funded like that tend to be expensive.
Both because the military has requirements for reliability and survivability that are not relevant for most civilian applications, and because the military in the US has pretty much unlimited money, and cost is rarely priority one.

I would bet we'll see consumer versions of quad dog robots that are significantly cheaper than this. There are a bunch of companies who work on that at the moment.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
What does it actually do though? It looks like it just walks from point A to B. Do you need to program it to do specific tasks?
Yep, they're entirely reliant on you to do some level of programming for it. I can certainly see applications for them. Would be cool if they could patrol an area at night for example, though not sure what kind of cameras they got on em'.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I would bet we'll see consumer versions of quad dog robots that are significantly cheaper than this. There are a bunch of companies who work on that at the moment.
A Chinese company called Unitree already plans to sell a similar machine called the A1, aiming for a price less than US$10,000.

They may fail - to hit that price or to deliver a quality product or maybe even to deliver a product at all - but as you say, as others try, the prices on these will tumble.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The new normal in the coronovirus world...

Hello. I am Spot. I will be your waiter this evening. There is no need to tip.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If I lived in the U.S I would get one, pretty cheap for such a cool thing. Love to see Atlas released soon as well.