• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
doesnt amazon have already have like 200k of those roomba like robots in their warehouses already working by moving packages and stuff? Its not like we are far off as some people are making it out to be here (when speaking of an automated future)

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
they should just use the suction apparatus to lift a little the edge of a box and put some thing below complete the lift.

I actually think figuring out a way for them to give these robots two of those arms would go a really long way to making them effective at dealing with a lot of different kinds of packages.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how Amazon treats their warehouse employees, I'd almost rather have them switch over to automation like this. (Or unionize their employees, but that will *never* happen, ever.)
Actually, we get to find out if unionization is happening... literally today:

www.nytimes.com

Contentious Union Vote at Amazon Heads to a Count (Published 2021)

The outcome of a vote at a warehouse in Alabama could have far-ranging implications for both the company and the labor movement.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we moving towards robots in human warehouses rather than fully automatic warehouses from the start?
We're a very long way away from being able to do that. The picking process has been fully automated, but unloading, loading, and boxing are still a long ways off from being perfected. These look like a big step towards addressing unloading material and even then there are still a lot of big caveats involved and that's just one step.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
these really depend on the items being stacked to neatly

Just wait until the robots are doing the stacking!

Seriously though, we're almost at a point where autonomous vehicles are able to drive in real world conditions. That's hard mode. After that, teaching what is ultimately an autonomous forklift to move around a controlled warehouse is not nearly as challenging.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
As someone who's had to unload trucks for the past 10 or so years I'm pumped for this. Human loaded trucks at my company are often so poorly stacked it's dangerous to unload them, having a robot do it would massively boost morale (and we can't find enough people to do truck shifts anyways, so it's not like people on our end would lose jobs over it).

I've seen too many injuries due to poor truck stacking, I welcome our new robot overlords.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Looks awesome. In that receiving trailer uph is king so I want to see something that has more speed. Awesome dynamic robot though. Way more consistent but imagine it being faster than a human.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great solution:
things-compared-money-venezuela-economy-hyperinflation-fb3.png

So for you the future of humanity lies on corporations making enough profit to pay for UBI. So a corporatocracy.

We need a UBI that is funded by taxing all automation use by corporations.

Yes, let's create an incentive to favor human labor. Let's go back to the beginning of the industrial revolution where humans were cogs.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Just imagine if it just randomly grabs a person's head and snaps their neck, or slings them into a wall, or drops them off a ledge. Thing looks dangerous.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
I agree this feels like an attempt to replicate how a human would do the work and not really optimize the process.

You don't really have a lot of options for taking products that ride on conveyors out of a trailer.

Those boxes are floor stacked, meaning they aren't on pallets in the trailers. So as you can see this bot doesn't cover a lot of conditions, and there are more conditions to think about.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We're a very long way away from being able to do that. The picking process has been fully automated, but unloading, loading, and boxing are still a long ways off from being perfected. These look like a big step towards addressing unloading material and even then there are still a lot of big caveats involved and that's just one step.
That sounds like a problem of standard sizes and packaging techniques (even at the truck level). I'm sure Amazon can force their suppliers to comply via incentives or whatever. Or get rid of boxing as a whole at some points in the chain.
Indeed. The Ocado (UK online supermarket) system looked more impressive to me. This still feels very inefficient.

GentleQuarrelsomeEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif
That looks cool.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even if they do, there will be fewer jobs, and those becoming the jobs doesn't do much for people who aren't highly enough skilled to do them.
My hope is eventually this problem when it arrives leads society towards the government using tax dollars for more government jobs instead of outsourcing them for for profit corporations and fill sectors that are undermanned, guaranteed income and other benefits.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. The Ocado (UK online supermarket) system looked more impressive to me. This still feels very inefficient.

GentleQuarrelsomeEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif
These are addressing completely different parts of the process. Amazon largely already has this part covered with their Kiva robots that carry shelves to their pickers. Loading the robots with all of the products in Ocado's system is still done by hand which robots like Stretch could address.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine if it just randomly grabs a person's head and snaps their neck, or slings them into a wall, or drops them off a ledge. Thing looks dangerous.

Most every piece of warehouse box/pallet moving equipment could easily maim or kill you in a split second. I've seen a forklift leave a 6 inch deep gouge in a solid concrete wall after the driver lost control for less than a second. Just imagine that was a human torso.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm saying a human would recognize it knocked over the boxes. The robot would freak out and not know what to do.

Seems to me like reacting to knocking stuff over would be like the first eventuality they would program their AI for (and the first thing Amazon would test them for before buying).

Anyway, as others have said in this thread, the one thing we should worry about is pressing for UBI before all menial jobs are eliminated through automation.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they are as effective as people think they are.

Technology always advances, though, and a proof of concept is likely to draw in a lot of investors. We probably aren't that far off fully automated warehouses and how long after that will we have fully automated cars?

Might not be that long before Amazon literally has a van drive to your house, ask for your details and unlock your package without a single human involved in packing, moving or delivering your order.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
That is a cool robot, since it's a prototype I would imagine it gets smarter and can do so much more as BD develops it more over time. I would trust that thing with lighter boxes. Still gonna need humans when unexpected stuff happens in the factory but nevertheless that is good thing.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
So for you the future of humanity lies on corporations making enough profit to pay for UBI. So a corporatocracy.

Yes, let's create an incentive to favor human labor. Let's go back to the beginning of the industrial revolution where humans were cogs.
You act like we don't already live in a corporatocracy lol.

And I fail to see how taxing corporations and using that money for public social safety nets is giving these companies any sort of political power. This is nonsensical.

Make these corporations pay their fair share. And use that to fund UBI. It's what needs to happen.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You act like we don't already live in a corporatocracy lol.

And I fail to see how taxing corporations and using that money for public social safety nets is giving these companies any sort of political power. This is nonsensical.

Make these corporations pay their fair share. And use that to fund UBI. It's what needs to happen.

Sure you can do that, but don't expect that to cover all needed costs. Otherwise, this just becomes an excuse to limit UBI and cut spending under the lie that "we don't have enough money to pay for it".

LilZippa

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
You don't really have a lot of options for taking products that ride on conveyors out of a trailer.

Those boxes are floor stacked, meaning they aren't on pallets in the trailers. So as you can see this bot doesn't cover a lot of conditions, and there are more conditions to think about.
The robots bring the conveyor to the edge of the truck. Why not have the conveyor with a picker on it. Drive the conveyor onto the truck and pluck and dump in one move. They didn't rethink anything just move like a person would.

Don't get me wrong it is impressive and these would be easier to adapt to more places, but it is inefficient automation at best.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
The robots bring the conveyor to the edge of the truck. Why not have the conveyor with a picker on it. Drive the conveyor onto the truck and pluck and dump in one move. They didn't rethink anything just move like a person would.

Don't get me wrong it is impressive and these would be easier to adapt to more places, but it is inefficient automation at best.

That's one of the problems with receiving out of trailers, there aren't a lot of options for what you can do if it means a human/robot entering the trailer from the dock like that. The best processes I've seen have an automated conveyor that can go very deep into the trailer, and people sling product on it. If there are pallets the human handles them, and if there is product that can't go on the conveyor they get it out the trailer with equipment. Product doesn't come so perfectly that you can grab whole surfaces at a time, and it's not like you can just dump trailers where the robot sorts the product to make the process faster.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
The odd thing about these are that there are already palletizing and de-palletizing robots.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work at a restaurant. Yeah I know how bad breaking jobs like this are. That's why Amazln needs a union. I'm still not convinced robots are effective enough to do the job.

I think in the newest warehouse they eliminated the need for people to walk and carry items.
Now the box arrives at the operator carried by some automation. The human performs only the picking.