• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
The acquisition by Hyundai wasn't just to the generalized corporate structure, it on the participation three affiliates in the broader Hyundai Motor Group entity:
-Motor: Automotive OEM
-Mobis: Automotive Tier 1 parts supplier
-Glovis: Logistics
BD hasn't really been DARPA focused for a while now - they stopped taking defense contracts in 2014 - and have historically (between Google and Softbank) maintained independence in a corporate structure, but even so, the details of the purchase are way more in the direction of advanced mobility in the industrial/automotive space than defense. Very much a push for scale+expansion following their product launches under Softbank.
I noticed on the BD website that they advertise Spot as a device for checking safety hazards. I also know that Hyundai is one of these corporations with factories in the US south that keep having severe OSHA violations. Is this purchase a means for Hyundai to either improve safety compliance, or to remove human labor from dangerous situations? because I am not an expert but it really seems that way.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Damn, I've watched this multiple times. It's so damn enjoyable, lol.

it's strangely wholesome. Until it's the anthem of the robot apocalypse, haha.

I want Combot in Tekken 8 to look like this/

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
Was expecting a Kojima stinger at the end
fca.gif

War has changed.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Incredible to watch. Form certainly does follow function. This could be the introduction to the next Terminator movie - Terminator - Dance of the Apocalypse.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Videos like this make me wish my company wasn't down the street from them. When the robot revolution begins I'm definitely going to be among the first to go šŸ™

Oct 26, 2017
I a game with an adversarial AI, it is possible for humans to end up in a position where their chance of success is near zero, yet where the conclusion of the game is only expected many hundreds or thousands of moves later, preventing the humans from realizing they have already been defeated. We could easily end up in a situation where the threat of AI is considered minimal or manageable, but where in reality we have already been assuredly checkmated.
Well, since humans can't coexist peacefully, adding another intelligence in the mix will not be all sunshine and rainbows. Our only hope is that the A.I., in playing this long game, sees that some of us believe in cooperation and coexistence as key for development and survival.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this all real? No CG enhancements?

Shit like this is why I am scared to go to Massachusetts.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
All these people joking about the robot apocalypse when these will be contracted out to police way before that happens.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
The doom and gloom about these robots is some funny shit. I work with assembly robots and ya they have replaced some part of the job. but we are no where near these thing becoming police bots or given them ai to run themselves.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kind of impressive how humans don't have giant batteries on their backs and can't explode. Current battery tech is probably all wrong for such robots.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Freaking amazing, can't believe the progress they've made. Has it really been 10 years!?

Such incredible potential with this video.

Holy shit lol it fits so well

When will the gimmicks end with this company? Surely they have a use for these robots after all these years that isn't a performance act.
This was also my first thought upon seeing what is probably the most advanced robotics known to the general public

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
is this real?? srsly. looks like CGI. idk, something is off.

lol, why make it move on 2 wheels with the huge weight to balance it!?
could be done so much easier.
Time to start Randam Dynamics and show 'em up!

Also it looks off because of an Uncanny Valley type deal. We "know" what robots look like and move like so when we see movie-quality futuristic super smooth movement from a real world robot our brain rejects it. Robots in the real world don't move like that, fake ones in the movies based on the far future move like that, therefor the video I'm seeing is fake. It's why CGI dogs and cats look weird too even if they're photorealistic, and why for the most part the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park looked so real (our brains have no point of reference for what a dinosaur is supposed to move like)

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least these robot workers won't protest the conditions Bezos will have them working under.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Humans imagining it, Robots executing it. Perfection.

I still recall the time when the bipedal units were tethered to the large cables while they were programmed/trained to find their balance whilst traversing various types of surfaces and topology.

Good lawd, BD have been moving incredibly fast.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
to robot just doesn't look like it was developed to sort packages.
they just used it for it.

and could be.
According to their site that's exactly what they designed it for though, for lifting and moving heavy loads.The giant weight is a counterbalance for when it's reaching its arm way up/out to lift things. Imagine if you had really long arms and you were trying to lift something heavy that was like 5-10 feet away from you. I don't know that they would just build a random robot and make up a use for it after the fact? Like what other use could a contraption like this have (not being a smart ass I'm just drawing blanks myself)

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
According to their site that's exactly what they designed it for though, for lifting and moving heavy loads.The giant weight is a counterbalance for when it's reaching its arm way up/out to lift things. Imagine if you had really long arms and you were trying to lift something heavy that was like 5-10 feet away from you. I don't know that they would just build a random robot and make up a use for it after the fact? Like what other use could a contraption like this have (not being a smart ass I'm just drawing blanks myself)
Interesting.
Thought it was a concept for a robot on wheels that can hold his balance. And then they tried it for handling packages.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.
Thought it was a concept for a robot on wheels that can hold his balance. And then they tried it for handling packages.
Nah we have toys for children that are motorized self-balancing wheels, this bot was made for grabbin and liftin which is why it needs that giant counterweight. Like think when you reach really far out in front of you for something, you'll tip over on your face so typically to keep balance you go on one foot and stick the other out behind you. It's that concept but with a giant weight added to your back foot to keep you from falling over when you pick things up while stretched out.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It looks like good Cgi. Probably uncanny valley like others pointed out.

And I don't understand the advantages of two legs/wheels with the need to active hold your balance.
It is a cool robot with a really awesome design. But for handling packages? Idk :D

Do you think four wheels would make more sense? Would still need to not tip over, so still require that weight, and it would have four wheels instead of two which is more expensive to build and repair, might even require more energy.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do you think four wheels would make more sense? Would still need to not tip over, so still require that weight, and it would have four wheels instead of two which is more expensive to build and repair, might even require more energy.
Just use a self driving fork-lift. :D
Safe stand with big counterweight in the back and no complex and expensive controls to keep balance. More boring solution and already available.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Power seems to be a huge problem though, the robots are mostly plugged in. I don't think small high capacity batteries to power their robots for a practical amount of time has been developed yet.