• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo the Flamelurker pick, from Demon's Souls. Never died to him once in any playthrough. It even became a thing I look forward to each time, "will I finally die to Flamelurker this time?"

It's weird because I die even at the gimmick bosses every now and then, so it's not a matter of being good at the game in general, it's just specifically Flamelurker that is a comple joke and was always hyped to be the hardest thing in the game.

The entirety of 4-2 is the real boss of Demon's Souls. Now that level is really hard to me.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I managed to beat the first boss in Ninja Gaiden Sigma in relatively few tries despite being godawful at character action games, did they nerf him for the Sigma release or did I just get lucky (e.g. having my mash timing sync up with whatever the game expected)?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to beat the first boss in Ninja Gaiden Sigma in relatively few tries despite being godawful at character action games, did they nerf him for the Sigma release or did I just get lucky (e.g. having my mash timing sync up with whatever the game expected)?
I dont recall the boss being nerfed but it also wouldn't surprise me. But Murai definitely would fall under the banner of "boss with over exaggerated difficulty". Its not a particularly challenging or complex fight. You just gotta not be stupid when fighting him - dodge his attacks then follow up with your own, get a hit in here and there when he's wide open. Don't do longer attack combos unless you know all hits will hit etc. Basically combat 101.

One personal observation from the Yakuza series based from responses elsewhere:
The final boss of Yakuza 5. Its not a short fight (he gets lots of health bars) but its not a hard fight at all like some would like you to believe. Yet I see people complain like its a badly designed fight (which is so far from the truth its laughable). Just a matter of learning and unlocking all the combat moves as you go (and not like the game doesnt gently push you toward this as you then become hilariously overpowered pretty quick. Still my join favourite final boss in the entire series (alongside Ishins)

Beil

Oct 27, 2017
London, England
In Bloodborne, I think Bloodstarved Beast is the most frequently referred to boss when it comes to extreme difficulty. Oddly enough, I always found BSB to be one of the easier bosses of the game. on the other hand, Darkbeast Paarl remains a painful struggle and anytime I win, it always feels like luck rather than skill.

It's possible to overthink BSB. My first encounter was an absolute nightmare roadblock, and the more I fought her the worse I got. I read up on the wiki and tried to internalise all the strategies - but it was info overload.

So I'd go into the fight thinking do I have antidote selected? And then as it went on, am I poisoned? Am I taking damage from poison? Do I have the pungent cocktails ready? Do I have fire paper lined up for the punish? My brain would short-circuit, worrying about what was coming next, trying to juggle menus and items and I'd just flail and die rather than just, you know, actually hitting her.

The best I ever did was just standing in front of her, parry & visceral over and over - totally ignoring the poison altogether.

Feb 5, 2018
Salamander boss fight from FF3. About 70% into the fight, that fucker does a flamethrower attack that deletes like 80% of your health. 2 turns and everyone is dead even with legit protection.

If you don't overlevel by like 5 levels (which would take a while at that point) or use double shields on physical characters just to survive, you have to specifically use a method where you save the 1 artic wind/4-6 antarctic winds (basically blizzaga and blizzara respectively in item form) you find at that time and specifically have your high intelligence mage in the back row use that item plus another 2 at around the exact moment you get that monster down 4000HP, so you can kill it in 1 round.

It'd ridiculous because it's way stronger than what you are fighting at that moment. By far one of the hardest fights in that game and it's not even near the end lol

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Sekiro's bosses are very easy which are choreographed having 3-4 moves.

Stop asking for an easy mode and just look at the screen.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Ornstein and Smough

Beat it on my first go but struggled every else leading up to the fight lol

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
I always see Jinpachi from Tekken 5 come up in hardest fighting game bosses threads. No idea why as he's a total pushover on any difficulty.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Khan Maykr in Doom Eternal.

Read so many complaints about her on release even though she's the easiest boss of the game. Micro missiles alone make mince meat out of her shields, and dashing towards the jump pads isn't that hard.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Here's an obscure one: the final boss of South Park for the N64.

I think it was some kind of robot and what made it difficult was that it could regenerate its health. I was never able to beat it as a kid.

How is the difficulty over-exaggerated if no one knows about the boss and it's actually difficult, lol.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've seen Vicar Amelia and Rom referred to as super difficult before. While I certainly struggled I got through both without sweating too much (and found Rom to be fairly fun to fight).

Was kinda hoping to see someone mention Father Gascogine here with some super easy trick to kill him but I don't think anyone has.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alma - Ninja Gaiden
maxresdefault.jpg

Was told by my friend that it was the hardest fight he had encountered so far and that he stopped playing the game because of it. I beat it on my first try and he was annoyed by my smugness.

Nightmare - Metroid Fusion
Nightmare_mf_Screenshot_1.png

In high school, another friend had been stuck on the Nightmare boss in Metroid Fusion. I had never played any Metroid games at that point but I asked if I could try, messed around with the controls to figure out how to play, and then beat Nightmare on my first attempt. I wasn't smug this time but he was just like, "...I've been trying to beat this for days...I can't believe this..."

It sounds like I'm bragging but I'm not, these bosses aren't even super hard compared to other games with hard bosses. Nothing else really comes to mind, I think most of these moments happened when I was a teenager. I don't think they'll happen as often as I get older.

LucasMonclar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I took forever to beat Senator Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising. I don't know if he really is that difficult or if I suck in this game, but God knows that I almost gave up and watched the ending on youtube.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Bloodstarved Beast in Bloodborne was overhyped. It's incredibly easy to parry that thing to death in like 1-2 minutes.

I'll also toss out Flamelurker from Demon's Souls. But I'll caveat with the fact it wasn't my first Souls game and Lurker felt like something straight out of Bloodborne. The second he started moving I knew exactly how to fight him.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't find any Hollow Knight bosses overly tough, always surprised when I see people mention bosses from that game as being extremely challenging. There were definitely times where I got completely owned, but I would either go explore somewhere else for a bit or I would change what charms I had equipped. It always felt like I had options to make the fights easier, so I used my options. The game was well designed in that you're rarely stuck just trying to bash your head against a tough boss. There's always something else to do.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly most of the bosses I have fought in the souls games. This isn't a brag because I am pretty shit at the games compared to most of their fans and don't really have much interest in them anymore anyway. My friends though went on an on about how hard the bosses were and like people keep saying once I figured out their little tricks most of them weren't too bad. Tedious and boring fighting them a few times, sure. Soul crushingly difficult, not really.

Though they stuck with them while I got bored and bounced so they are now much better at them than I ever was.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
None. Literally none. I have found a lot of bosses easier than what the average person says, but my opinion does not change anything. The bosses are the same difficulty for other people no matter has easy or difficult I think they are. The entire premise of this thread is insulting unnamed people for being "bad" at video games while praising yourself.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
A whole lot of From bosses tbh. I was terrified of getting to a lot of the later Bloodborne bosses after what I had read about them (especially the DLC ones), but nobody killed me more than Gascoigne!

He kinda forced me into a playstyle that let me get through the rest of the game.

Edit: Meanwhile hollow knight just destroys me at every boss encounter :( it's my greatest shame as a gamer. Hoping to give it another go before silksong.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I felt that way with sword saint isshin in Sekiro. But Demon of Hatred absolutely demolished me, probably the hardest boss I've fought in souls games. Had to re-re-program my brain

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I beat fume knight with bare fists on NG++. His attacks are very telegraphed, and he's very fair. He also has surprisingly good hit boxes, which is a huge problem in 2.

Jan 11, 2018
Spiderball guardian from Metroid Prime 2, even the non-nerfed gamecube version. They give you plenty of health throughout the fight. I could see it being difficult for people who suck at the morph ball sections though, as you have to maneuver through some tight areas with timed efficiency. But health should never be an issue.

The boost ball guardian, on the other hand is a complete asshole (though not THAT bad on normal difficulty), and they totally nerfed him in the trilogy version.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I was afraid of Alma in Ninja Gaiden, I'd heard so much about how difficult she was, but I got her locked into a simple combo about twenty second into the fight and beat her my first try without taking damage. IIRC it was just x x x roll x and repeat. Maybe it was a glitch or something but that locked her into a cycle where she'd take a few hits, try to dodge, I'd roll to where she ended up, and that was that.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Wow reading this thread I realize I'm terrible at games for even dying once against a Sekiro or BB boss.
Props to all you badasses who did no damage runs your first try.

"I don't understand how anyone could even die against x boss in Sekiro"

Yeah ok.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Another one for me was Bloodstarved Beast, certainly a challenging fight when you start out , I used to hate doing Bloodborne replays because I found BSB super hard for a early boss until you find out about pungent blood cocktails.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
In Cuphead, there's this one boss fight (Dr. Kahl's Robot) where you fight while being in a plane and my buddies were telling me that it was a true nightmare fight, but I beat it on my second try...

I had way more trouble with Beppi the Clown in that game.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Another one for me was Bloodstarved Beast, certainly a challenging fight when you start out , I used to hate doing Bloodborne replays because I found BSB super hard for a early boss until you find out about pungent blood cocktails.
Fire Paper melts him too. Honestly Fire Paper absolutely wrecks the early game in BB.