• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Truno

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
In the original, the party was fixed so using Rydia there was mandatory, while on Advance you could replace her with someone like Yang. Dying or not, she's useless anyway. Edge is kind of not very useful either, while Kain is cool mostly for jump.

Tbh it's hard to remember lvs exactly but i'm pretty sure it's doable without grind since i'm mostly too lazy to do it nowadays (Unless it's something you can do really fast like metal slime stuff on modern DQ) and you normally reach the final dungeon on like 40-43. Since Cecil have like the double of Rydia's HP, he should survive a big bang even being 15 levels lower, i think. Atleast Cecil, Rosa, Kain and Yang should survive a big bang on 45.

I know the snes american version was based the easy type mode so Rydia definitely survived, and i was sure the same happened in the GBA and PSP versions until your post.

The advance version is the one i play the most nowadays but being fair i replayed it 3 years ago so there's a chance i'm talking nonsense.

Zeromus wasn't an easy boss by any means but i think he's easier than that optional boss that gaves Cecil's ultimate weapon.

I'm one of those weird peeps who keeps the party consisting of members that make the most sense in the given context of the fight. Switching to Yang or Cid would've probably been better, but the problem wasn't the DPS. Withstanding Big Bang was the main issue throughout the fight, coupled with ensuring that Curaja is casted no matter what.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Was playing Gears 5 on gamepass PC and having an okay time. Got to Matriarch and realized oh this is actually shit and uninstalled.

I was playing alone FWIW. I'm sure co-op is much more fun (as with almost any game).
This was a really intense boss fight, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm sure it's a blast in co-op. Did you try lowering the difficulty? I'd say it's the toughest boss fight in the game, so you're probably missing out on a lot of stuff you might enjoy. Then again, sounds like the game wasn't really doing it for you anyway.
I got wrecked by Khan Makyr in Doom Eternal enough times that I decided I was finished. I was already on the easiest setting and still getting squashed (yes, I am awful at the game) so I didn't really have any other recourse.
The floor is lava mechanic combined with the need to fuel up the blood punch while there's only those stupid drones around really made this one quite the pain in the ass. I beat her with a sliver of health though.

The final boss was really tough too, especially the first phase, but, man, was it incredibly epic. I was so fucking pumped during that final fight.

Jul 27, 2020
Stupid Marauders in DOOm Et. Had to dial the difficulty down to easy to pass. It was all going fine in that game until those fuckers. Makes me not want to replay it.

Oct 28, 2017
Gun dude in Kingdom Hearts 2. Fuck you and fuck your stunlock automatic death if it hits you once bullshit.

Eventually I did beat it by getting lucky that I beat the boss before it could get to the stunlocking phase of the fight. But I very, very nearly quit the game there and then.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The final boss in Ninja Gaiden 1 made me drop not just the game but the entire 2D series. If you have beaten him without save states then you are a gaming god.

Yes, always been at the top of my list, but I did beat him as a kid. I was just super determined, no god like abilities.

But that experience made me duck out on final bosses afterwards, saying nope, not gonna Ninja Gaiden this. My biggest was Metroid Prime's final boss. I just could not switch weapons fast enough and gave up after many, many tries.

Im about 2/3 through Cuphead and know Im just going to get to the final and quit, I've read about too much suffering.

Feb 5, 2018
Just started playing Yakuza Kiwami and the Shimano boss battle near the beginning of the game was some of the most frustrating shit I've dealt with in a game in a very long time. I don't know if I'm missing something or if I'm just a button-mashing scrub or both, but if I break out of an enemy's grab and they grab me five consecutive times following that, I'm gonna say that boss battle is dumb as hell.
No that's literally just a bad fight. Kiwami was heavily criticized for retaining the severe bullshit from Yakuza 1's boss battles. Easily the worst battles in the series, especially if you are coming off of 0

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Last boss of Killzone 2 made me drop the game. 2 or 3 years later I decided to endure it and finish the damn game.

Feb 5, 2018
Gun dude in Kingdom Hearts 2. Fuck you and fuck your stunlock automatic death if it hits you once bullshit.

Eventually I did beat it by getting lucky that I beat the boss before it could get to the stunlocking phase of the fight. But I very, very nearly quit the game there and then.
You pretty much need second chance/once more for many of the games endgame bosses unless you fully understand the boss mechanics

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Guardian Ape in Sekiro. In fact I did quit the game because of it. I've been meaning to return to it however, now that it has the next-gen 60fps patch.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No that's literally just a bad fight. Kiwami was heavily criticized for retaining the severe bullshit from Yakuza 1's boss battles. Easily the worst battles in the series, especially if you are coming off of 0
Okay, phew. That makes me feel a whole lot better.

Didn't help that the boss battle was literally just a reskinned Mr. Shakedown fight, just with chain-grabs and some weird DBZ ki-charging thing the bosses all seem to do.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Final boss in the first The Surge game. I fought it a bunch and just couldn't put it all together to beat it and didn't really care to at that point. I gave myself a mental medal for winning and just stopped at that point.

Feb 9, 2018
I don't know if he counts as a boss per se (he was always right before the actual boss, like a sub-boss), but Starkiller in Soulcalibur IV's arcade mode was so frustrating I essentially gave up playing that game. I despise cheap fighting game bosses, but nothing ever made me more infuriated than facing Starkiller.

The Prophet of Truth on Legendary in Halo 2 is a gargantuan pain in the ass, not because he himself is a threat but because he is a flunky boss of the worst sort, with infinitely respawning Honor Guard Elites that can kill you nearly instantly. He never made me quit playing the game altogether, but he's one of many reasons why I almost never bother playing that game on Legendary.

General RAAM in the first Gears of War was also ridiculously frustrating on higher difficulties.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I also quit cause of this. A dumb Dark Souls boss in a game about parrying/deflection and reading enemy tells.

You can totally deflect their attacks for the most part. Though dodging/running certainly helps. But firecrackers every 30 seconds or so is the least risky approach. The second half of the fight is most easily won through a posture deathblow, for sure. Two consecutive deflections typically trigger the big axe drop attack, deflect that and counter after with a spear pull. Repeat two more times and he's toast!

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Not really quit the game because he's optional, but Satan from Digital Devil Saga 2. People always talk about how crazy the Demi-Fiend fight from DDS1 is and yeah, it's brutal, but for some reason I find Satan to be even harder. I must've died at least 50 times before I was finally able to beat him. My characters were all maxed out and armed to the teeth with all the best abilities, but that fight was still an absolute nightmare.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
This guy right here comes close: (The Edge from Furi)

Furi_Edge_Defendingthegate.png

But I'll have nightmares about the King Dice boss fight in Cuphead forever.

31e8604e365cd797c54d08b419487b20.jpg

Such an interesting design for the actual boss fight structure, but my God I hated every second right up until I finally beat it (those cards you have to deal with after making your way through the board is just stupidly unfair)

I can't stand when games put a gotcha moment that requires a lot of practice after some long segment that you have to go through multiple times. It's just a big 'fuck you' to the player. I'd rather they put that type of stuff earlier in the fight so I don't have to waste so much time redoing the parts that are more beatable.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Playing KH1 on Proud mode. Not having second chance at times makes this almost worse than Dark Souls. Everything just two shots you and often enemies just WALK out of your animation-locked attacks lol.

The shadow Sora in Neverland was almost making me want to take a break. The camera on this level is just so bad.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Ishin Ashina. I was so close. Fuuuuck you Ishin.
YES this, I knew it was my fault but I didn't (and still don't) think I have that level of patience...

I actually reached a point of "if I don't win this try I am uninstalling this game". I did actually win, though in hindsight I wish I hadn't as this point marked a pretty precipitous drop in the quality of the game IMO.
I JUST beat this guy..oh man also took me many tries until I found a video showing you can glitch the adds into bombs, shoot the bombs and one-shot kill it

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The first "boss" on Nioh, in the ship on the beach. And yes, I did quit. Loved that game so much but tried over and over and over, even using multiple video guides I found, and just couldn't seem to get it.

Meanwhile, I'm nearly done (fell off the wagon) with Bloodborne so I know I'm not incapable of playing these kinds of games...

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Galdera from Octopath because who ever designed the final dungeon and didn't include a save point before the final boss is an idiot since the dunegon takes around 40 minutes to get through every time you want to attempt to fight him

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say I "wanted to quit" the game, but I never beat the secret final boss of Hollow Knight, chose to watch a Youtube video instead.

In terms of wanting to quit?

1) ROM from BB. In fact, I really don't get the praise given to many of the bosses in BB, but Rom in particular was just annoyingly infuriating.
2) I don't remember which boss it was, but the final sequence of bosses in XC had me pretty burnt by the time I reached them. I dropped the difficulty just to see it through to the end.
3) Umi-Bozu in Nioh. Not a "difficult" boss, but a garbage one that had me question if I should continue the game (very glad I did)

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
I remember some cheap ass boss in Resident Evil Revelations that annoyed the shit out of me! I think he kept saying "mayday mayday".

when I finally killed him, the feeling of joy..

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The last boss in Killzone 2 in normal. Made me quit the game for like half a year until I went back and beat it on easy.
Last boss of Killzone 2 made me drop the game. 2 or 3 years later I decided to endure it and finish the damn game.
Yep, Colonel Radec in Killzone 2 was the worst designed boss fight I've ever come across in gaming.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Would have ditched Quantum Break if the last boss was an earlier one. Horrible difficulty spike + having to watch a cutscene every time you died... and wave based adds on top of the bullshit instant kill AoE attack (that was frustratingly difficult to spot due to the lighting in the fight). Got it in the end but man, it was the real lowpoint of a good game.

This. The final boss of Quantum Break broke me. To this day, I have not beat the game, and I will never go back. This boss not only made me quit the game, it made me quit hard mode for all games forever. Since then, I only play on normal or easy mode. No more bullshit hard mode, I am done with that shit.

Nov 13, 2017
I quit Dark Souls for about a month because of Ornstein & Smough. I can one shot them now, but god damn that was a barrier.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
That one guy in Final Fantasy Tactics. You know the one. He didn't make me wanna quit. I actually did quit. He was literally unbeatable at the time because of the save right before him.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Take your pick from Sekiro. Owl, Owl (Father), Genchiro, Isshin Sword Saint, etc.

I beat them all in the end, but for each of them, I had a few moments of "Why am I doing this to myself?"

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm stubborn and refuse to quit anything, but I'll always take a few months off a certain game to calm my nerves. :D

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
I'm one of the biggest Enter the Gungeon fans out there, but the Resourceful Rat boss really gets me down to the point that I usually just skip it's floor. To reach this boss fight, you need to:
  • Spend 105 shells (currency) on only the second floor for the special key. At this point in the run, it means not being able to buy ~3-4 weapons/items/chest keys, and possibly not opening any chests in the first 2 (or 3, if you're in the know) floors for key conservation.
  • Spend 2 keys that would've otherwise netted you weapons/items to open the hidden trapdoor to the boss' stage.
  • Spend 2 Blanks (enemy-bullet-clearing item) of which you only get two per floor (they only roll-over to the next floor if you have more than 2).
  • Fight through tough enemy-packed rooms while following a specific route (that will punt you to the next floor without any rewards if you mess up the directions), and you've finally reached the Rat boss, which is a very challenging 3-phase battle.
All this would be fine and fun (part of the fun of roguelites is having exceptionally great drops on some runs that carry you further than others), if the game didn't completely change genre in the boss' last phase. Goes from a twin-stick top-down shooter that you've familiarized yourself with after dozens of hours to PUNCH-OUT. I appreciate what the devs were doing and actually think it's quite a nice surprise and fun mechanic for those who're familiar, but have never been able to defeat this phase as someone who's not played Punch-Out. Not much room to get practice in either since it's so difficult to reach this part of the game. At least losing to the 3rd phase doesn't end your run, and you still get some somewhat generous rewards.
Still love EtG though, had to delete it from my PS4 to stop playing it all the dang time.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Last boss of Mankind Divided. I hate wave-based boss battles and that one is probably relatively easy, but I didn't care enough about the ending to try it a third time.

And Isshin, the Sword Saint. Or demon of hatred. They hard lol

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Badassasaurus from Borderlands 2

The arena has no cover, he's faster than you, can kill you in 2-3 hits, and your chances of reviving are tied to him randomly throwing you nukes for you to shoot. He resists all damage except explosive, reflects your bullets back at you, and if you die he respawns with full health, and you lose iirc 10% of your money. I nearly ran out of money just buying ammo to sink into him. The run I finally succeeded in killing him took an hour of just sinking bullets into him.

I honestly believe the devs purposefully left the spawn door slightly open so you can camp the boss, which is what everyone does. His rockets and your own reflecting bullets can still kill you though.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting pissed off playing the final boss from Wolfenstein: The New Order and straight up quitting. I think I was playing it on one of the hardest difficulties and I just hit that point where I was like "fuck this, I'm not having fun" and deleted the game. I bet if I went back and played it now, I probably wouldn't even have much of a problem with it but in the moment it was just super frustrating and I didn't care enough to keep trying to beat it.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
that is not true, easy type was its own thing
the snes american was based off the original version, and wasnt made any easier, infact was probably harder, atleast in the beginning with them removing cecil's darkness skill

I gave a little research, and you're right about the Snes version not being based on the easy type, dunno where i heard that. But it apparently have item costs decreased and secret passages revealed (I don't remember that tbh but must be ages since i played this version). Wasn't Dark removed so that players wouldn't kill themselves spamming it?

Couldn't found anything about Zeromus tho. I was pretty sure big bang was considerably weaker atleast on GBA and PSP, atleast.

Oct 31, 2017
Barthandelus in FFXIII.

I had the perfect pattern of attack and healing against him but he's programmed to cast Death on you after 20 minutes of battle, which is absolutely insane and goes against the idea of creating strategies for battle, which is supposed to be the barebones of the gameplay basically. Not to mention that 20 minutes limit not having any sense story-wise, and not even being mentioned in game at all.

I stopped playing the game after learning about the 20 minutes limit online, following a bunch of extremely annoying trials against him always casting Death before I could kill him.
The Barthandelus fight should take around 5 minutes. If you're taking 20 minutes you're playing the game very very very very very wrong.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I did quit Shadow Hearts on one of the last bosses -- some giant grub looking thing in the last dungeon. I just...didn't want to do it anymore. The boss fights in that game are moderately tedious at best, and you can easily find yourself in a place where you have a suboptimal party composition or equipment. At which point you have to ask yourself whether the extra damage you'd get from switching things around is worth resetting the game, making the changes, and going back to the boss. And the only thing that will change is how long the battle takes; by the end there shouldn't be a realistic chance that you'll lose. So I found myself in a situation where the above was running through my head, and I just shut off the game and watched the end on Youtube.

Oct 31, 2017
I also quit cause of this. A dumb Dark Souls boss in a game about parrying/deflection and reading enemy tells.
In the first phase you just dodge his attacks and then you can hit him up to 11 times when you get an opportunity. Second phase you parry. It's not a great boss fight IMO but I never saw what was so hard about it.

Demon of Hatred, on the other hand.... I cheesed with no regrets

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lady in the church fight in Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.

Strangely, years later I replayed the game and was able to beat it first time.