• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
F this dude. Because of him, Sekiro remains the only From game I haven't finished.

maxresdefault.jpg

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
I literally just turned off Luigi's Mansion 3 because of that trash boss fight, seen this thread and wondered if anyone else would mention and its in the OP. What a garbage boss. The controls fight you more than the actual boss and ruined what was a otherwise great game.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Not too much of a spoiler, but Luigi's Mansion 3 had
an awesomely innovative fight with Helen Gravely. If the game ended there, it would've been greatly satisfying, but NOOOOO King Boo-shit had to come along and use hard-to-avoid attacks and short-fused bombs to ruin the ending.

I don't know about you, OP, but I didn't have much issue with the controls, as I switched to twin-stick as soon as I heard it existed.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Final boss in Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC. Had no problem with difficulty for the rest of the game (even on death march) but in that boss fight he does a bat swarm attack that takes out half your health. And it counts as multiple attacks so you can't brush it off with a quen spell. According to guides, you're supposed to do a roll to avoid it but it's a very large swarm and I could never find the right timing or position to avoid it.

I didn't give up though, I just lowered the difficulty!
Actually, you were just supposed to run to the side the moment he starts preparing his attack, that way you avoid it completely :D

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always have the same answers for this thread: Hiruko from Shinobi PS2 and (not a boss but a ridiculous battle that I never actually beat) Battle of South Moundtop from SaGa Frontier 2.

So, to switch it up, Absolute Radiance from Hollow Knight. As if Pure Vessel wasn't already hard enough. At my peak, I was easily stomping Radiance and NKG without getting touched, and then those two were just give-up hard.

Also, the final boss in SaGa Frontier 2 made me give up and restart the whole game the first time. Apparently it's quite easy to put yourself in a state where he's unbeatable. But it was easy the second time around, after I knew what to expect.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The Watcher Knights from Hollow Knight. I tried tons of times, but I got so frustrated that I dropped the game.

Oct 27, 2017
The final boss battle of kingdom hearts has like 6 stages and if you fail one you redo them all. Tried for an hour or so and gave up, never looked back.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Not me, but my mom was playing Saga Frontier 2, which she absolutely hated. I think she just wanted to beat it to never have to think about it again. I'm fuzzy on this because it was so long ago, but she got to a late-game boss for which she needed some item she didn't have, or had to do something a certain way and didn't realize. She had to have picked away at that thing for over an hour before it finally killed her, she yells "FUCK!" and threw her head back, hitting it on the coffee table behind her. Never played it again.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not me, but my mom was playing Saga Frontier 2, which she absolutely hated. I think she just wanted to beat it to never have to think about it again. I'm fuzzy on this because it was so long ago, but she got to a late-game boss for which she needed some item she didn't have, or had to do something a certain way and didn't realize. She had to have picked away at that thing for over an hour before it finally killed her, she yells "FUCK!" and threw her head back, hitting it on the coffee table behind her. Never played it again.
Probably the final boss. If you don't take out an earlier boss (and you can't go back to do it), the final boss can do an AoE petrify attack that just wipes your party. That's also what got me the first time.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Final boss in Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC. Had no problem with difficulty for the rest of the game (even on death march) but in that boss fight he does a bat swarm attack that takes out half your health. And it counts as multiple attacks so you can't brush it off with a quen spell. According to guides, you're supposed to do a roll to avoid it but it's a very large swarm and I could never find the right timing or position to avoid it.

I didn't give up though, I just lowered the difficulty!
Ha, same for me! I loved the game, but got totally stopped on that one. (I also just lowered the difficulty.)

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some fucking boar in Odyssey. Was already struggling with enjoying it up until then. Free running was a let down, combat was a let down, and the Greekness and Kassandra's greatness only carried it so far. It was at that point I accepted that I'm just not finding it fun and bailed.
I forget this in mario

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely Ashina in Sekiro. He beat me twice and I was just like "I know you're the final boss and I recognize what you're asking of me but I'm not about to spend two days grinding to accomplish this".

Sadly, I dread the bosses in Souls games.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sans
I just gave up. My old man brain couldn't keep up even though I honestly felt that
Undyne
was a tougher boss. I guess it's the endurance aspect of the fight. I had no patience for it.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Not a boss fight. But in Arkham knight there's a point where you need to use the Batmobile in a stealthy way to get behind enemies and I hated it so much.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
The *real* last boss in Cave Story.
Uncharted 2 has the worst possible way to end an amazing game. Horrible unfun boss fight.
I nominate The Last of Us for this.

The cutscene preceding the end scenario has you amped to finish on a high note, but the combat design and tight gameplay arenas directly after cannibalize the momentum. Every time I've beaten TLoU—every damn time—I'm pissed by the time I complete it because I've restarted two dozen times. In fact, this is an issue with all ND titles IMO.

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I love the final boss of Drakengard 3 because it's the most Yoko Taro thing ever and a nice callback from the earlier games.
But yeah, it's bullshit and made me scream of anger for days.

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really count because I had already beaten the main game, but the Valkyrie Queen in GoW. I had finished everything else in the game and figured I might as well 100% it, then I got my ass handed to me for a couple of hours and said fuck it.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I returned recently to a game that I previously dropped because of a fight that just made me say "That's it, which is part of what made me make this thread. I know there are lots of times that people get extremely frustrated with a boss fight, though they continue on, but there's that rare right that just makes you say "Nope, fuck that" and put a game down temporarily or forever. Besides the game that caused me to make this, there's one other game that I can think of that got me to that point and that's...

drakengard-3.jpg

1.) Drakengard 3 - The boss in question is the final boss of the game, so I'll try to keep it spoiler free, for anyone that hasn't played it/got this far and wants to experience this trainwreck 'boss 'with fresh eyes. For anyone who's played this game and got this far though, I really, REALLY don't have to go into detail of why this final boss is just absolute bullshit. You play the entire game as an action rpg type game, and at the very end, the game flips the script and turns into
FUCKING Dance Dance Revolution, Hatsune Miku's Theatrythm Edition. You basically are playing a rhythm game and have to hit the right button at the right time to the music. Now, that on it's own isn't so bad, but leave it to Yoko Taro to not only stab you in the back, but twist the dagger, kick it in with his boot, and spit on it for good measure, just to savor as much agony from the player as possible; Not only can you not mess up a SINGLE time, or else you die and start over (Oh, and this is like a 7 minute sequence btw, so good luck if slip up), but eventually as the 'boss' progresses, the SCREEN JUST STARTS TO BLACK OUT; Yes, that's fucking right, you're expected to hit button prompts, without being able to see them, by sound alone.

The first time this happened, I think part of my brain actually broke, and I'm still recovering to this day from the the night terrors to this day. The sheer stupidity of what's expected from someone here is just astounding. I've seen so many Taro fanboys defend this, and wail on about how 'It's not really that bad, people are exaggerating' and 'All you have to do is listen to the music, it's easy! Well, to that I say'; Fucking bullshit. Mechanically as a fight (and a final one), it's awful and betrays the player and the effort they put into the game. Instead of having the player test the abilities and skills developed throughout the game as final test of what the player learned (which most games with good final bosses do), this throws all of that away in exchange for having the player do something that's not been asked of them the entire time. And even then, what is presented is somehow overly simple, but somehow unnecessarily unforgiving and devolves into just flat out being unfair as it progresses.

The only thing that I can credit the fight with, is that it fits well thematically and it sets the mood very well, as the way the music continues to build in tandem with the fight is quite nice to watch (if someone else is playing it). However, that is far, far from being enough to justify designing it that way. I probably could have beat it if I kept trying (and there are 'synch up' videos to help now), but I just thought it was so bad of a fight that it didn't deserve anymore of my time and stopped there. It's extraordinarily rare for me to quit something (I have very bad obsessive compulsiveness, with completing something I start), so that's a testament to how awful I thought it was.

if it makes you feel any better OP, Drakengard 1's final boss would also drive you mad for the exact same reasons. lmao

As sucky as it was in D3, I couldn't help at smile at the audacity of the man to bring back one of the most legendarily fucked up final bosses in all of games. lol

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The Surge 2. That game was going so good until you get to the first real boss. Some electronic octopus thing that you can only beat by countering its attacks. Like, why would they do that? The counter/parry system sucks and is so strict and here I have to use it to get past a boss. I quit it.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just turned off Luigi's Mansion 3 because of that trash boss fight, seen this thread and wondered if anyone else would mention and its in the OP. What a garbage boss. The controls fight you more than the actual boss and ruined what was a otherwise great game.

That boss fight made the angriest at a game than I had been in years.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Final Boss in Metal Gear Rising. Barely had the patience to get through this game, had no patience for a boss fight that seemingly lasted for hours.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
One of the (if not the final) boss in Bravely Default. I was so burned out by that point and the boss design was horrible I just gave up and watched the ending online. Don't think I've ever done that before or since.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Mhh. . .lemme think. . .I know there has to be an example somewhere in my history of playing video games, I just usually drop games on the levels themselves so

OH. I GOT ONE.

The final boss of the Stargate game adaption on the Sega Genesis. I was a kid at the time, so not sure how much it counts, but I'd managed to gradually after several attempted playthroughs make it to the end, and then I hit that fight. Just the right mix of a difficulty spike and the sprites used being uncanny valley for it to fray my nerves a bit too much, so after I lost I'm not even sure if I picked up the game ever again.

I mean, it's a deep pull, but I'm generally SO bad at games that I usually get walled off before I even hit a level's boss, LOL.

I think there was also at one point the ridiculous room boss in Mega Man 2 where you have to have a full stack of Crash Bombs to beat it when there's a couple Crash Bomb spots on the way there just to tempt you into spending them so you'd end up permanently stuck at that boss without warning, but the difference is that Mega Man 2 is actually a legitimately enjoyable romp and I was playing on 3DS Virtual Console where there were save states, so after a while I still went back and beat the game anyway, LOL.

And while it wasn't me, I know at least one person who quit Xenoblade Chronicles X because they couldn't beat it's final boss. As someone who DID beat that boss, I can see freaking why and I view that win as one of the closest things my sorry easy mode playing hide can claim to an accomplishment gaming wise.

OP
OP
ryan13ts

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
if it makes you feel any better OP, Drakengard 1's final boss would also drive you mad for the exact same reasons. lmao

As sucky as it was in D3, I couldn't help at smile at the audacity of the man to bring back one of the most legendarily fucked up final bosses in all of games. lol

Aw hell nah. Eject that shit into orbit and right into the sun.

Never, ever again, lol.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
For me it is the Final Boss of Star Ocean: The Second Story.
Let me paint you a picture:

It was circa 1999 in the southern United States and I was 16 years old; full of youthful vigor & optimism.

My closest friends were nerds like me and one in particular had his fingers on the pulse of Japanese culture earlier than most as his father had visited Japan in younger days & passed exotic tastes for anime & video games along to his son who, in turn, passed these tastes along to me.
Thanks to his encouragement I tried sushi for the first time a year or so before this story takes place.

This friend owned gaming systems that I, as a loyal Nintendo Power reader knew only through rumor, such as the Sega Cd, 32X, and Saturn.
(To be fair I had ample experience on the Master, Genesis, & GameGear systems)

This friend purchased bootleg subtitled anime from Ebay.
This friend showed me a Super Saiyan before Toonami even dreamed of it (back when we debated whether it was Saiyan or Saiya-jin)

On this day in 1999 (or so) this friend let me borrow a Playstation he had modded to read bootleg & imported discs along with a copy of Star Ocean: The Second Story. (I do not remember whether this was a bootleg copy of the US release or a subtitle modded version but I know an unmodded PS would not read it)

"You'll like this game!" he said as he handed it over.

And he was right. I loved the game. The pixel art was wonderful, the story engaging, the battles lively, the mini-games & crafting engrossing. I was especially a fan of the Iron Chef cooking competition side quest. Genius stuff.

I flew through the game & soon found myself climbing a tower that was, I assumed, the final dungeon.
My characters all hovered around levels 65-70, a fair benchmark for the end of an RPG.

Up & up the spiral staircase of the tower I climbed until finally I ascended and faced what I expected to be the final boss.

A tough battle followed but I emerged victorious.
Surprise! This was not the final boss.

I had yet to comprehend the horror that awaited.

I readied myself for a climactic dual, steadied the controller in my hands, assessed my characters, leapt into battle...and was promptly trounced.
No opportunity to mount a defense. No chance to heal. Utter ruin.

Perhaps I didn't act quickly? Perhaps I need to buff my characters?
Stomped into the dust again.

"I'll grind out some levels" I thought. Now my MC was approaching the mid 80s & my other party members were high 70s. "This should work."
Obliterated nearly as quickly as before. "What the hell."

Grind some more & now my characters are all in the 90s.
This time I managed to last a few rounds before the end came.

Time to grind up to level 99!
My MC made it there first and then rolled up to Level 100. "What the hell?"
So I started grinding again. Over & over. Levels upon levels until, finally, my characters hovered around the mid 120s.

This time surely I'd do it. The battle was fierce. The battle was long.
I used those most prized potions & tinctures a true RPG gamer NEVER uses come hell or high water.
The boss shuddered. The boss shook. The boss went down, its life points exhausted.
Yes! Yes! Finally! What kind of game has a second-to-last boss scaled for level 65 but a final boss scaled for level 125?

And then Phase 2 began. "What The Hell!"
And my god-tier party was wiped out almost instantly.

I returned the Playstation to my friend, game unfinished, my spirit broken a little more than before he lent it to me.
Woe to those who dare to tread where gods walk.

P.S. A message of encouragement to those crushed by Sekiro's Undead Ape, Demon of Hatred, or Sword Saint Ashina. You can do it! I believe in you!
I suck at rhythm games. I suck as Soulsbornes. As you can see from the story above I also suck at late-90s RPGs.

I beat Sekiro up to NG+3 and it was glorious. The battle against the Sword Saint is a sublime experience once you understand that "Hesitation is Defeat".

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The Demon of Hatred was that for me until I beat him. The sword saint was rather easy compared to him and Owl Father.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isshin The Sword Saint from Sekiro.

Went back to it after six months and eventually did it, almost two bars of his health on 1cm of my health, full on ZEN mode.

Still maniacally laughing inside. Burn in hell you little boss bitch.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Penance in FFX. Fight is long as all hell and then you make one mistake and he shatters one of your characters. lol. I did eventually beat it but I rage quit for a good few months at first.

Boom Roasted

Feb 8, 2018
The flying boss in MGS4. Wasn't fun at all and it just felt like Kojima wanted to f with the player. Still haven't beaten that mess...

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Final bosses in both Mario and Luigi remakes. They doubled boss health for some reason, so they take like 30+ minutes of perfection and the bosses constantly heal and stall among other bullshit. Stuck with it for like 3 hours in SS and beat Cackletta, but in BiS I just put that shit down to casual difficulty and finished it asap. Some of the most monotonous final bosses I have ever faced.