• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
The anime is canon its just going a different way by expanding things until they get more source material
Not necessarily. It seems like everything in the anime is more or less happening with the manga skipping over it. For example in the manga later on Boruto mentions going on a school trip to the Mist village, but that arc was only in the anime. Also Sumire shows up later in the manga and the characters already know her when she was introduced in the anime. Some things are different though, like Boruto and Sarada find out Mitsuki is artificial on-panel in a later arc, but in the anime they already found out.

Edit: on the other iirc Urashiki has been totally absent in the manga
Thanks for the clarification. This is great.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless something later on contradicts this philosophy, I'm going with "Anything that happened in the anime that was also in the Ukyō Kodachi novels is canon. Anything that didn't is decide for yourself if you want it to be canon or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I wish Sarada came along the journey with Boruto and adult Sasuke.

Also I would've enjoyed seeing Sarada talk to kid Sasuke:

e4db269e5f3256905444db8df1021182ab084700v2_00.jpg

Also I still wish that Kishi hadn't forgotten to give Boruto the Byakugan. He looks way better with it:

f7c282fa712dd50a33956f8741254f79a57a0f38_hq.jpg

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Sarada came along the journey with Boruto and adult Sasuke.

Also I would've enjoyed seeing Sarada talk to kid Sasuke:

e4db269e5f3256905444db8df1021182ab084700v2_00.jpg

Also I still wish that Kishi hadn't forgotten to give Boruto the Byakugan. He looks way better with it:

f7c282fa712dd50a33956f8741254f79a57a0f38_hq.jpg
With Sarada this is taking place around the time Sasuke left and I don't think they want her to know about all that stuff, at least not yet. Boruto has already been asking questions based on a photograph.

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
With the sole exception being Jiraiya, every single Naruto character has a clone character in Boruto which makes it extremely hard to feel nostalgic about them. I don't miss Shikamaru when Shikadai exists, I'm not eager to see Rock Lee again while we have Metal etc.

Every single episode we are gonna get reminded how much they fucked up with the second generation characters.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The setup for Boruto hanging out with Naruto is pretty flimsy, but whatever, was nice seeing them chill in Naruto's childhood home

Also lol at Sasuke gaining more perspective on what a complete ass he was back in the day

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Manga chapter is out.

lol at Team 7 + Kawaki deliberately ignoring Shikamaru's orders. It's interesting that Boruto and Kawaki will eventually become Okutsukis themselves. The shot of Boruto there with the Hyuga/Okutsuki eyes makes him look A LOT like Hinata.

Of course, now I'm wondering how they'll beat Boro if he's even worse than Jigen. They likely don't stand a chance, even with all of the crazy powers they have at their disposal.

Also oof at the scene of Sarada wishing Naruto was her father. That hurt emotionally. Sasuke's absence in her life continues to impact her in ways that few kids her age should feel.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
With the sole exception being Jiraiya, every single Naruto character has a clone character in Boruto which makes it extremely hard to feel nostalgic about them. I don't miss Shikamaru when Shikadai exists, I'm not eager to see Rock Lee again while we have Metal etc.

Every single episode we are gonna get reminded how much they fucked up with the second generation characters.

Well, that's only really true for Shikadai-Shikamaru, Boruto-Naruto and Metal Lee-Rock Lee.

Inojin, Chocho and Sarada aren't copies of their parents.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I forgot about them.

Them too.

I wonder if this series would be better received if Himawari and Boruto switched roles.

I guess Sarada would be turned male though if that were to happen though.

Clearly, if they ever do a proper timeskip, Shueisha needs to give Himawari her own manga/novel series. >.>

Also, real talk: The art in the newest chapter is REALLY GOOD. Boruto's design is spot on. Ikemoto actually draws adult Shikimaru better than the anime or Kishimoto does. Sarada actually looks like Sarada in most shots now, as does Mitsuki. And the background art is just downright gorgeous to boot.

Ikemoto's upped his game, and the results show. If this is the kind of quality we can expect going forward, we're in for a real treat.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
So when does this take place? Tsunade said Sasuke deserted the village the day before but that doesn't really make sense. Everyone is acting like it's your average day and I thought they immediately chased after Sasuke when he left.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
So when does this take place? Tsunade said Sasuke deserted the village the day before but that doesn't really make sense. Everyone is acting like it's your average day and I thought they immediately chased after Sasuke when he left.
I assume it's after Naruto returned from the mission and before Naruto went off to train with Jiraiya.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What I've heard is that it's a bit of a mis-translation. This arc most likely occurs in the short gap between the first Valley of the End fight and Naruto heading out with Jiraiya.

He's really not. He's in the same boat as Himawari, where he's a good mix of both parents, and thus kind of his own thing. Though it can be hard to tell given that he primarily fights with the Super Beast Scroll and all.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
ability-wise Inojin is just a mini Sai, but his personality seems different enough

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Boruto isn't a clone of Naruto either. He's way more competent and has already came up with multiple techniques on his own, something Naruto never did.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Boruto isn't a clone of Naruto either. He's way more competent and has already came up with multiple techniques on his own, something Naruto never did.

Boruto has different hang ups and everything comes easy to him unlike Naruto. But the base personality is still too similarish though.

Loud, obnoxious, attention-seeking kid that's really into a particular type of food.

A different color scheme would've helped a lot tbh. He should've had black hair like Himawari or the Byakugan at least.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Boruto has different hang ups and everything comes easy to him unlike Naruto. But the base personality is still too similarish though.

Loud, obnoxious, attention-seeking kid that's really into a particular type of food.

A different color scheme would've helped a lot tbh. He should've had black hair like Himawari or the Byakugan at least.
He's not nearly as loud or obnoxious as Naruto.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boruto's not particularly loud compared to how Naruto was, but he does have a lot of the same obnoxious traits. It's even acknowledged in series, both anime and manga. He's more like a milder version of Naruto tempered by Hinata's traits than anything.

That being said, he pretty much goes full dere/Hinata at times.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Boruto shares some similar traits, but I wouldn't call him a clone in the same way as I would for someone like Shikadai, who is literally the exact same character as his father lol. Right down to looks, personality, and fighting style. If he didn't bust out wind jutsu like one or two times I would have thought Orochimaru actually did clone Shikamaru.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Boruto's not particularly loud compared to how Naruto was, but he does have a lot of the same obnoxious traits. It's even acknowledged in series, both anime and manga. He's more like a milder version of Naruto tempered by Hinata's traits than anything.

That being said, he pretty much goes full dere/Hinata at times.
Obviously, but most people share personality traits from their parents, so it's to be expected.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Boruto shares some similar traits, but I wouldn't call him a clone in the same way as I would for someone like Shikadai, who is literally the exact same character as his father lol. Right down to looks, personality, and fighting style. If he didn't bust out wind jutsu like one or two times I would have thought Orochimaru actually did clone Shikamaru.

He's the only acceptable clone because more of Shikamaru, the best character, is never a bad thing

Oct 25, 2017
chp 39

lol at making Shikamaru a total hard-headed block-head here., Im still lol at all of Boruto's lines to him.

Kawaki is great, love that this is becoming something about him more so than everyone else.

Hope we see Jigen get backstabbed by another member of Kara

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah I feel like Inojin has a very different personality from his father. He does have the same Justus has Sai but they have a different flavor to them at least. If he uses the Mind Transfer type stuff more, it'd be really cool.

He's the only acceptable clone because more of Shikamaru, the best character, is never a bad thing
It does annoy me that they made him a Chuunin in the same damn way Shikamaru made Chuunin.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
That was a really predictable episode.
But the final scene at Naruto's home was really nice. Made me teared up a bit.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I love Sarada but she deserted the village. She's lucky she wasn't fired. In the old days they sent ANBU after yo ass for that

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that Boruto performs the transformation jutsu in this episode without using any hand signs what so ever.

Way to be a showoff, Boruto.

Oct 25, 2017
Boruto not saying Naruto at any point (unless I missed it at the end). I guess its just weird to say his old man's name.

Love the scene with him and Naruto with Sakura as well as bonding in the apartment. I love he gets to see first-hand Naruto's life.

I hope Sasuke runs into Sasuke, or Boruto does.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm misremembering but the old series, even in the beginning, had a much more serious vibe going on so it's really weird to see Boruto going back to that time and everyone being all-out silly all the time. Especially if this is after Sasuke deserted.

As if Tsunade would be so flippant about a couple of unknown strangers in the village after Akatsuki just infiltrated the village like a month earlier.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Cool episode. Was disappointed that we probably won't see young Sasuke again. That would have been great.

Reminder that Boruto blushes way more than young Naruto

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing he will learn more about it later but we only got 5 more episodes left I believe.

Boruto handled the Sasuke past thing in a mature understanding manner. Especially the "past made you who you are Today" and what matters is who you are now, "I know you're the Sasuke I know because of the Sasuke of the past." and respecting that.

If it was Sarada I feel we would've seen another rage quit scenario like Gaiden. "WHAT DO THEY MEAN DESERTER? ANSWER ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
lol she is not ready.

Last edited: