• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was it ever explained how Kakashi graduated the Academy at 5 but was placed on a team with Obito and Rin when they were all around 10?
Did they just want him to wait for others from his class (If so, what was he doing for 5+ years)? Cause Itachi was placed on a team with people older than him when he graduated.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Was it ever explained how Kakashi graduated the Academy at 5 but was placed on a team with Obito and Rin when they were all around 10?
Did they just want him to wait for others from his class (If so, what was he doing for 5+ years)? Cause Itachi was placed on a team with people older than him when he graduated.
He was placed on a team but ut didnt work out due to his attitude.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Dang man this kage just got done dirty.

The episode was interesting. All the other guys retreated back to the forest already? Also shouldn't Garaga have killed Boruto? I mean of course he's not but I would have liked to see how that situation played out.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess Lord Ku is the Danzo of the Earth village, should have guessed that earlier.

Also what a sad episode that whole sunset scene with Mitsuki having these feelings of love for Boruto, but then realizing that like a sun, he is both blinding and oh so far away that he can never reach him. I cried.

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually kind of a weird case where the anime/manga isn't showing them doing stuff, for whatever reason. Hinata does a mission in Naruto Shinden, but she's usually busy taking care of her family. Ino and Temari apparently still do missions, and Sakura's still Konoha's lead doctor.

I do agree with you on the pacing tho. While I'm not as cynical about the series as some others are, I feel the pacing has been very off at times. This was rather noticeable in the Chunin Exams arc. Not counting the appearance of Momoshiki and co, the entire final round of the exams was covered in four episodes. They spent more time fighting Shizuma's group (two and a half episodes) then they did on any singular fight in the final round.

Part of the reason why Boruto 65 felt like such a breath of fresh air (besides it's insanely high production values) is it's one of the few times the show had a chance to breath and actually expand a single fight scene out.

EDIT: Now that I looked at the episode list and thought about it, I think the biggest issue might be the fact that the anime is adhering to cours. Despite it being positioned as a long running show akin to Naruto and Shippuden, almost every story arc has happened over the course of about 13 episodes or less

1-15 : Academy Arc (15 episodes)
16-24: Filler + Sarada Arc (9 episodes)
25-31: Field Trip Arc (7 episodes)
32-38: Filler + Graduation Arc (6 episodes)
39: Mitsuki's backstory
40-49: Genin Arc (9 episodes)
50: Recap episode
51-66: Movie Arc (16 episodes)
67-69: Cho-Cho Arc (3 episodes)
70: Metal Lee episode
71-79: Mitsuki Arc (9 episodes so far)

The current arc might actually end up being the longest arc yet, which is rather unusual for an anime only arc.
Maybe you're right. It's problematic that show (so far) doesn't really build on top of it self. But I also think a lot of it can be levied with better pacing within the arcs. It seems there's no consideration for what people for instance might have wanted to get out of the chunin arc. So far it feels like all the arcs have been pretty much something they needed to get out of the way and that's not a good way to run it. It also doesn't help that every character is amazing straight out of the gate. Like chunin level before they enter the school even. Even if they all have parents that care for them. Some of the old cast did too, and they were still a lot lower level. (and Boruto is a really annoying entitled character so far).

The "older cast" were treated badly since Shippuden started so...
Well I think A lot of people say this because of the war arc. Sakura had a very good run for the first 100 or so episodes where she showed a lot of growth. Shikamaru also has a lot of growth throughout. Kiba is in a lot of arcs, even if his character doesn't grow a whole lot. Outside them and a little bit of Hinata there isn't a whole lot though. But it's not the whole konoha 11 that got screwed in shippuden. More like, 7-8 of them.

In a recent Italian interview, Ikemoto (the artist not the author) stated that Naruto Part 1 is way better then Naruto Part 2 (which he said was less interesting) and that they want Boruto to follow the Part 1 direction then the Part 2 direction.

He also stated that he got beef from Kishi for his Sarada design. (I think recent addresses from Kishimoto)

This is from NF
They aren't really following naruto part one though. The difference is in execution I guess. The whole way naruto builds is really good. It's exciting and there are regular payoffs in the way they untagle and that then leads to bigger things. Boruto has some serious issues. Both with Pacing and with the way they structure everything. It just isn't exciting. And that has nothing to do with the wold being at peace. I'm sure they could still manage to get a lot of interesting arcs going that build off one another.

Boruto is also too focused on Boruto himself. But that might just be because I'm not a fan of his character.

Why complain about characters that have already been fully developed not getting the screen time you want? If you want to see them developed again, go watch Naruto.
Well even though you didn't reply to me, I gotta say I wish the old cast had 25, or even 15, or 10 percent screentime. You followed them for a lot of years, so it makes sense that you want to get a better look into their lives 15 years later, than what's currently happening. I'm not sure why it has to be only the kids that we see. Afterall it has naruto in the title.

But again, there are elements I like. The old naruto part 1 for instance had a lot of long fights where half of it (or more) were just people standing around having flashbacks. I'm glad that we don't have that issue here. It's also visually a step up from shippuden in general.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean manga wise what content did we really get?

One arc, that is it.

The Movie arc was a retelling and took most of the manga's overall total content. The only manga original arc we had so far was one after a small build up to it. (little interactions here and there without actually a real arc)

So of course it really only has Boruto like Naruto in the beginning was just Naruto before Zabuza. They even have a Konohamaru scenario with that rich kid. (Not Denki)

lol you heard me

Nov 17, 2017
This is true but at the same time I thought Konoha tried to be more humane, in comparison to the other villages. First to introduce the academy system etc etc. Logic behind not telling anyone Naruto was Minato's son was to protect him and the village. Yet every other village still knew he was the nine tails host.
Did they know? I don't think the other villages were aware at all.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you're right. It's problematic that show (so far) doesn't really build on top of it self. But I also think a lot of it can be levied with better pacing within the arcs. It seems there's no consideration for what people for instance might have wanted to get out of the chunin arc. So far it feels like all the arcs have been pretty much something they needed to get out of the way and that's not a good way to run it. It also doesn't help that every character is amazing straight out of the gate. Like chunin level before they enter the school even. Even if they all have parents that care for them. Some of the old cast did too, and they were still a lot lower level. (and Boruto is a really annoying entitled character so far).

Well I think A lot of people say this because of the war arc. Sakura had a very good run for the first 100 or so episodes where she showed a lot of growth. Shikamaru also has a lot of growth throughout. Kiba is in a lot of arcs, even if his character doesn't grow a whole lot. Outside them and a little bit of Hinata there isn't a whole lot though. But it's not the whole konoha 11 that got screwed in shippuden. More like, 7-8 of them.

They aren't really following naruto part one though. The difference is in execution I guess. The whole way naruto builds is really good. It's exciting and there are regular payoffs in the way they untagle and that then leads to bigger things. Boruto has some serious issues. Both with Pacing and with the way they structure everything. It just isn't exciting. And that has nothing to do with the wold being at peace. I'm sure they could still manage to get a lot of interesting arcs going that build off one another.

Boruto is also too focused on Boruto himself. But that might just be because I'm not a fan of his character.

Well even though you didn't reply to me, I gotta say I wish the old cast had 25, or even 15, or 10 percent screentime. You followed them for a lot of years, so it makes sense that you want to get a better look into their lives 15 years later, than what's currently happening. I'm not sure why it has to be only the kids that we see. Afterall it has naruto in the title.

But again, there are elements I like. The old naruto part 1 for instance had a lot of long fights where half of it (or more) were just people standing around having flashbacks. I'm glad that we don't have that issue here. It's also visually a step up from shippuden in general.
The title is Boruto: Naruto Next Generation

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
exactly and we all knew that villages never cared about kidnapping people even in their home turf

Kushina was kidnapped as a kid for being a Jin/Uzumaki right inside Konoha by the Cloud

Hinata was kidnapped as a kid for being a Hyuga right inside Konoha by the Cloud

Himawari was kidnapped as a kid for being a - okay I am joking about this last one but lol the Cloud clearly has an agenda with people related to Naruto

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
exactly and we all knew that villages never cared about kidnapping people even in their home turf

Kushina was kidnapped as a kid for being a Jin/Uzumaki right inside Konoha by the Cloud

Hinata was kidnapped as a kid for being a Hyuga right inside Konoha by the Cloud

Himawari was kidnapped as a kid for being a - okay I am joking about this last one but lol the Cloud clearly has an agenda with people related to Naruto
People related to naruto are usually hot shit, kyuubi's and blood limits galore, I feel minato is what a peak shinobi should be tho.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
People related to naruto are usually hot shit, kyuubi's and blood limits galore, I feel minato is what a peak shinobi should be tho.
yeah Minato was peak normal shinobi on what a normal shinobi at least for the Leaf could do

some other countries had amazing non clan shinobis too but maybe they are actually part of some clan it is just that Kishi never really expanded on anything beyond the land of fire for us to know
yeah that is what most people assume to since the arc started with Onoki talking about him

unless it is someone else like his father or something

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway here is the highlights of the Boruto Ikemoto interview

• BORUTO is more inspired by NARUTO part 1, less by part 2.
  • Kishimoto gave Ikemoto carte blanche regarding character designs, however, Ikemoto believes he "exaggerated a bit too much" with Sarada's design.
  • Kishimoto is still heavily involved with the series by defining every concept and initial idea, and supervising Kodachi's / Ikemoto's work.
  • According to Ikemoto, BORUTO addresses many issues in today's society (e.g. the right or wrong use of technology). Unlike NARUTO, which focused on loneliness and how to overcome it, BORUTO focuses on how to shake off the inheritance of one's own family.
  • Having worked on NARUTO that released weekly, Ikemoto prefers the monthly release of BORUTO.
  • Ikemoto would love to work on a movie if they ever produced one "even if it would be complicated". "And in any case everything is still in progress".
  • Ikemoto and his staff can not reveal how far the manga is into the story, nor could they reveal anything about Koji's identity.

• The anime has taken an autonomous road with stories that are parallel to the manga stories.

• According to Mr. Taguchi, Kodachi himself is responsible for the screenplay of the anime. "There are six or seven screenwriters, supervised by Ukyo Kodachi. They create alternative stories and submit them to the Kodachi, if strong scenes happen that could dramatically change the characterization of the characters, e.g if Boruto had to kill someone, Kodachi comes into play to monitor everything.

• In order to prevent the anime to overtake the manga, the former adds stories parallel to the manga. The anime and manga follow the same path until they intersect in the same point. [That does not mean the anime will skip manga plot points.
from Reddit

Naruto has a white zetsu arm currently

designed by Tsunade

but post the Momo arc he opts to switch it for a mech arm that can absorb ninjutsu like Momoshiki, under the approval of Sasuke and designed by Katasuke
1522791090823.png

the arm was at its proto-type stage so Naruto goes back to having his other arm while they finalize said arm for Naruto

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway here is the highlights of the Boruto Ikemoto interview

• BORUTO is more inspired by NARUTO part 1, less by part 2.
  • Kishimoto gave Ikemoto carte blanche regarding character designs, however, Ikemoto believes he "exaggerated a bit too much" with Sarada's design.
  • Kishimoto is still heavily involved with the series by defining every concept and initial idea, and supervising Kodachi's / Ikemoto's work.
  • According to Ikemoto, BORUTO addresses many issues in today's society (e.g. the right or wrong use of technology). Unlike NARUTO, which focused on loneliness and how to overcome it, BORUTO focuses on how to shake off the inheritance of one's own family.
  • Having worked on NARUTO that released weekly, Ikemoto prefers the monthly release of BORUTO.
  • Ikemoto would love to work on a movie if they ever produced one "even if it would be complicated". "And in any case everything is still in progress".
  • Ikemoto and his staff can not reveal how far the manga is into the story, nor could they reveal anything about Koji's identity.

• The anime has taken an autonomous road with stories that are parallel to the manga stories.

• According to Mr. Taguchi, Kodachi himself is responsible for the screenplay of the anime. "There are six or seven screenwriters, supervised by Ukyo Kodachi. They create alternative stories and submit them to the Kodachi, if strong scenes happen that could dramatically change the characterization of the characters, e.g if Boruto had to kill someone, Kodachi comes into play to monitor everything.

• In order to prevent the anime to overtake the manga, the former adds stories parallel to the manga. The anime and manga follow the same path until they intersect in the same point. [That does not mean the anime will skip manga plot points.
from Reddit

Naruto has a white zetsu arm currently

designed by Tsunade

but post the Momo arc he opts to switch it for a mech arm that can absorb ninjutsu like Momoshiki, under the approval of Sasuke and designed by Katasuke
1522791090823.png

the arm was at its proto-type stage so Naruto goes back to having his other arm while they finalize said arm for Naruto
As an aside, I really really dislike Boruto's manga art.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
yeah Minato was peak normal shinobi on what a normal shinobi at least for the Leaf could do

some other countries had amazing non clan shinobis too but maybe they are actually part of some clan it is just that Kishi never really expanded on anything beyond the land of fire for us to know

yeah that is what most people assume to since the arc started with Onoki talking about him

unless it is someone else like his father or something
I think I prefer the son turned evil kidnaps mom route than the scumbag husband has some more wifebeating to get off his chest.

Anyway, all that interview did for me is confirm that Abime only is the best outcome. The manga feels like its just taking every important story beat planned, smashing them together with minimal breather content, and trying to make it coherent. If the Anime will indeed cover*everything*, then who cares about the manga? Enjoy the ride, get skme character development feels inbetween major arcs, and just wait for things to unfold. Why bother with what is an official abridged series?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think I prefer the son turned evil kidnaps mom route than the scumbag husband has some more wifebeating to get off his chest.
lol I had to stop and think for sec on this

I was so confused

Kurotsuchi isn't married I think and she also doesn't have a kid lol

Kozuchi and her are BOTH Onoki's grandchildren. If they are brother and sister or if they are cousins is yet to be seen

Anyway, all that interview did for me is confirm that Abime only is the best outcome. The manga feels like its just taking every important story beat planned, smashing them together with minimal breather content, and trying to make it coherent. If the Anime will indeed cover*everything*, then who cares about the manga? Enjoy the ride, get skme character development feels inbetween major arcs, and just wait for things to unfold. Why bother with what is an official abridged series?
yeah the anime will eventually do the manga content and unlike Naruto and Naruto Shippuden the anime's original or added stuff is canon so they will try and not have a ninja ostrich appear out of nowhere, etc...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Oh yeah, I forgot that kurotsuchi is his granddaughter, for some reason I thought she was his direct offspring. So if they are grandchildren, perhaps she had a brother we never saw? I really doubt they would go for cousins, doesn't have the same impact.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot that kurotsuchi is his granddaughter, for some reason I thought she was his direct offspring. So if they are grandchildren, perhaps she had a brother we never saw? I really doubt they would go for cousins, doesn't have the same impact.
you're right but Lord Ku looks too old to be the younger bro

especially since the flashback of him had Kurotsuchi being a Kage and not in her Jounin outfit during shippuden

either way even before she became shocked by his face/identity which allowed him to land a blow, he was not even moving and reaction/blocking all of her melee strikes

dude is clearly up there in strength I assume which would mean that if SP is wise enough they won't let the kids handle this dude at all

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
He also has the power to create the Akuta with a powerful Jutsu. If anything, I wonder if he has ties to the Akatsuki considering Onoki's relations to them in the past, and more so, I wonder if his more human Akuta experiments tie into Orochimaru's creation of Mitsuki. That even later down the line, could be revealed to tie into the Otsutsuki, considering how Mitsuki could well be a Toneri Clone.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
He also has the power to create the Akuta with a powerful Jutsu. If anything, I wonder if he has ties to the Akatsuki considering Onoki's relations to them in the past, and more so, I wonder if his more human Akuta experiments tie into Orochimaru's creation of Mitsuki. That even later down the line, could be revealed to tie into the Otsutsuki, considering how Mitsuki could well be a Toneri Clone.
I think Mitsuki might not be a Toneri clone anymore

I think SP just dropped the ball, it was massive, it made sense but they dropped the ball regardless lol

so far the creator of the Akuta is that Dr. Wily looking dude

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that holds me back from 100% believing that Mitsuki is Toneri's clone/son/etc is the fact that Toneri hasn't appeared in the manga. Otherwise, I'd be ALL on board this theory. There's way too many similarities between them for it to be a coincidence.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I think Mitsuki might not be a Toneri clone anymore

I think SP just dropped the ball, it was massive, it made sense but they dropped the ball regardless lol

so far the creator of the Akuta is that Dr. Wily looking dude
But doesn't he kinda have to be? I meaj think about it. The Otsutsuki are a bunch of moon people. One of their last descendants is Boruto. Despite that, he is constantly referred to as a Sun, there is light imagery for him up the wazoo, and yet he is part moon people. Mitsuki meanwhile was likely programmed to see him that way. What I am getting at is that I think the whole deal with thw Curse Seals, Kawaki and Toneri's eventual return will have to deal with some sort of apocalyptic Sun Eclipse, and Orochimaru somehow gained the knowledge of it. Or I could be batshit insane trying to connect every little detail, but this is Naruto after all, and even fucking ZETSU was a giant plot point. To summarize:
DarlingAnyGibbon.webp

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that holds me back from 100% believing that Mitsuki is Toneri's clone/son/etc is the fact that Toneri hasn't appeared in the manga. Otherwise, I'd be ALL on board this theory. There's way too many similarities between them for it to be a coincidence.
well Toneri is frozen in space time

what are they going to do

I feel that he isn't though since if they wanted to connect the obvious (or at least all of us assumed it was obvious) they would've done it a long time ago in the anime

But doesn't he kinda have to be? I meaj think about it. The Otsutsuki are a bunch of moon people. One of their last descendants is Boruto. Despite that, he is constantly referred to as a Sun, there is light imagery for him up the wazoo, and yet he is part moon people. Mitsuki meanwhile was likely programmed to see him that way. What I am getting at is that I think the whole deal with thw Curse Seals, Kawaki and Toneri's eventual return will have to deal with some sort of apocalyptic Sun Eclipse, and Orochimaru somehow gained the knowledge of it. Or I could be batshit insane trying to connect every little detail, but this is Naruto after all, and even fucking ZETSU was a giant plot point. To summarize:
DarlingAnyGibbon.webp

your not the only one trying to connect the dots lol

it would've made sooooooooooo much sense if Mitsuki was like Toneri and had O clan dna via Toneri

Mitsuki's eyes in sage mode even looks like Momoshiki's byakugans lol but again SP could've done it, they could've connected it all together but they didn't

they are also clueless on what to do with Himawari as well

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
well Toneri is frozen in space time

what are they going to do

I feel that he isn't though since if they wanted to connect the obvious (or at least all of us assumed it was obvious) they would've done it a long time ago in the anime

The thing that caught my attention was this back in episode 62:

Mitsuki recognizes that Urashiki is a member of the Otsutsuki before Momoshiki and Kinshiki announce their names. He clearly knows SOMETHING about the clan that his peers didn't know.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Mitsuki recognizes that Urashiki is a member of the Otsutsuki before Momoshiki and Kinshiki announce their names. He clearly knows SOMETHING about the clan that his peers didn't know.
what Orochi probably told him
I mean when you have a pale dude with byakugans and the ability to fly

it narrows it down lol

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on episode 65 and i've had such a blast. I don't know why i feel this stuff is so much better than everything prior (both Naruto and Shippudden). Mitsuki is amazing, and i love the shikadai-boruto friendship so much (that "White night" arc was incredible). Sarada is the uchiha we needed, and Shinki is so badass.

What can i say, hope it continues this way.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Baby Akuta is surprisingly adorable. Just wish it was the chick acconpanying Inojin instead. Dude is made to have a cute baby animal companion. Nothing special episode otherwise, looks like we are in the final stretch of this arc.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
anyone coming at me now telling me a Jounin rank means anything

I will toss them to the curb

toss them

Dang they took the shine away!
Anyway, bring back Ryogi already. This farce has gone on long enough.
see they wouldn't have this problem if they weren't leaving potentially strong kids to rot in jail

and idk what is happening with the Hyuga clan, they just vanished like the Senju after being named the strongest clan

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally catch up to the latest episode. One question though, is this arc actually on the manga or Toei is doing whatever they want?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice episode. That baby Akuta is too damn cute. Also I'm starting to like Sarada more.
It's cool that they're entering the Hidden Stone proper in the next episode. I'm looking forward to seeing Onoki and Akatsuchi. And man cloaks really are just a surefire way to make an anime character look cooler for a little bit huh

see they wouldn't have this problem if they weren't leaving potentially strong kids to rot in jail

and idk what is happening with the Hyuga clan, they just vanished like the Senju after being named the strongest clan
It's clear they can't run a village correctly!!
(but seriously, I swear if this series ends and Ryogi is nowhere to be seen while Sumire roams free I will never let that go. I'm used to going "whatever I'll play along" with shonen series but on this particular front I say no damn it!)

Finally catch up to the latest episode. One question though, is this arc actually on the manga or Toei Pierrot is doing whatever they want?
It's not in the manga from what I understand but it is canon.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Baby Akuta is my dude.

Ya'll think that was actually Garaga talking to Boruto or just a dream? I still wonder how that situation wrapped up when Garaga was out during Boruto getting KO'd anyway.

Imagine if this actually ended with a Boruto vs Mitsuki fight.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Finally catch up to the latest episode. One question though, is this arc actually on the manga or Toei is doing whatever they want?
100% Canon. Like the Manga. Think of the Anime like the ultimate edition while the Manga is more the abridged OVA, featuring just the central plot.

Baby Akuta is my dude.

Ya'll think that was actually Garaga talking to Boruto or just a dream? I still wonder how that situation wrapped up when Garaga was out during Boruto getting KO'd anyway.

Imagine if this actually ended with a Boruto vs Mitsuki fight.
Proper Garaga I believe. Don't the Summoning contracts come with Extra Telepathy for communication built in?

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
So, this is going to be a Inojin thing, right?

Every time they encounter a creature they'll send Inojin, right?

I think I like Inojin more than I like his parents. I guess this is what happens when authors actually develop their characters.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I guess stealing from the wealthy is a bigger crime then attacking actual common civilians and ninjas in Konoha.

That video game programmer episode proved who ran the Narutoverse and Naruto is okay with it.

Ryogi will stay in the slammer even though he was not stealing out of his own will (Genjutsu)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess stealing from the wealthy is a bigger crime BOTH UNDER DURESS AND UNDER GENJUTSU (even though each is made redundant by the other lol that was weird) then attacking actual common civilians and ninjas in Konoha.
Adjusted!!

Can't believe we are wasting yet another ice user. My favorite type of magic. I won't stand for it.