• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Oh and just wanted to ask, how the hell did we end up in the community spotlight and immediately hit the ship wars button? Its like can you guys just try to act a little normal when in front of everyone? Sheesh.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
This is where you're making the leap in logic. Nowhere is it explicitly stated that they are the remaining Ōtsutsuki. It's not even implied. No other Ōtsutsuki mentioned does not equal no Ōtsutsuki remaining

The only people at that time who can eat the fruit and be a threat to Kaguya are Ōtsutsuki. Not only that, but as I said, this was Kishimoto's conclusion. Its not an open ended story just because it did not explicitly prove something.

Video from YonkoProuctions, discussing his thoughts on the Boruto manga and its plot developments. I don't read the manga so I don't really care or have an opinion on the stuff from it yet but some people here read it so I figured I'd post it.

He was tired of letting Boruto eat...

I think he nails the fundamental reasons why Naruto fans largely are put off by Boruto. The MC comparison was a great section.

Even crazier that Boruto makes more than Pokemon.

Thats not how it works. Its hard to say how much cut each person gets with a property like Pokemon so one would need to read the report or know about TV Tokyo's business.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and just wanted to ask, how the hell did we end up in the community spotlight and immediately hit the ship wars button? Its like can you guys just try to act a little normal when in front of everyone? Sheesh.
lol

also we hit community spotlight and out of nowhere a spiritual successor of Psyhco Mantis appears

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Quick question.

If you had to compare Boruto's quality to any particular arc of Naruto, what would it be? Chuunin exam? Sasuke Retrieval? War arc? Pain arc?

I'm trying to figure out if to watch it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question.

If you had to compare Boruto's quality to any particular arc of Naruto, what would it be? Chuunin exam? Sasuke Retrieval? War arc? Pain arc?

It's a series where overall, aside from the movie arc, I'm still waiting for it to get its Zabuza arc

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
Imo people overrate Zabuza arc, and I feel like Boruto got flak early on for no reason.

For the 50 episodes I watched of Boruto, it is very reminiscent of OG Naruto.

I cannot wait for Boruto Shippuden :)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thats not how it works. Its hard to say how much cut each person gets with a property like Pokemon so one would need to read the report or know about TV Tokyo's business.
...aka Boruto is making more money than Pokemon for them? Good to know.
Quick question.

I don't know about quality but after thinking about this for 30 seconds, my answer is the Kakashi ANBU filler arc from Shippuden...as in it's here and I'm happy it is and can count on enjoying it but if it didn't happen or were to suddenly stop existing then I wouldn't be very sad.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Naruto World Poster (plus frame) is back on sale for 30USD
https://www.kehasuk.com/shop/narutow
2t7u240zbnv11.jpg

By the way the fiscal report for Boruto is from this official PDF published today
https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/9413/tdnet/1641585/00.pdf

again from NF and not my own

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question.

umm... well I like it better than most of the war arc at least lol

I don't think the show overall is super good, but I like the world and am just interested in seeing how it continues. It has great slice of life stuff. The more "serious" conflict stuff tends to be weaker, though there are standout moments. I think it feels refreshing compared to the last half of shippuden.

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question.

I'd say the movie arc was akin to the Chunin Exams arc from the original, although with higher highs and lower lows.

Most of the other arcs have been fairly good, if not matching the highs of Naruto's arcs, and we haven't had anything on the level of the Pain arc yet.

Chocho arc was the only arc I legitimately haven't liked. Everything else was pretty good so far.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people dislike Boruto. The slice of life quality about Boruto is such a breath of fresh air to me after the non stop action of the 4th war

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people dislike Boruto. The slice of life quality about Boruto is such a breath of fresh air to me after the non stop action of the 4th war
agreed

I like Boruto even more so because of how poorly Kishi handled the never ending war that was apparently only 3 days long lol and was more then half spent in a massive crater fighting the ten tails

but I guess people like different types of tea

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
agreed

I like Boruto even more so because of how poorly Kishi handled the never ending war that was apparently only 3 days long lo and was more the half spent in a massive crater fighting the ten tails

but I guess people like different types of tea
It was fucking how long now
Excuse me

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with the War arc is that Kishimoto tried to wrap so many plotlines up at once in it without a whole lot of rest. I think if he had spaced them out more, it would have been a lot better.

Even then, the War arc still has some of my favorite moments in the show despite it's flaws, so...

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Probably because its the only point in the Naruto franchise where so many Naruto fans are not watching the show or dislike it. When there's a collective leaving it gives more evidence of a serious problem with the series not pleasing fans.

It seems like much of it is the very similar crowd who trashes part 2 saying that stuff though. A lot of these people just stuck out part 2 to see how it ends, not because they thought it was good, lol.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It seems like much of it is the very similar crowd who trashes part 2 saying that stuff though. A lot of these people just stuck out part 2 to see how it ends, not because they thought it was good, lol.

Part 2 was great though. Kazekage rescue arc, Sasuke confrontation arc, Akatsuki suppression.....one of the best parts of the entire series was a two way arc of Sasuke hunting Itachi and Naruto eventually fighting Pain. Its essentially the climax to the series.

The war arc was the only real disappointment and even then it had some great moments. I don't buy them trashing part 2 all the time, seems more like a vocal minority compared to the majority of fans continuing to follow the series as it was interesting.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Part 2 was great though. Kazekage rescue arc, Sasuke confrontation arc, Akatsuki suppression.....one of the best parts of the entire series was a two way arc of Sasuke hunting Itachi and Naruto eventually fighting Pain. Its essentially the climax to the series.

The war arc was the only real disappointment and even then it had some great moments. I don't buy them trashing part 2 all the time, seems more like a vocal minority compared to the majority of fans continuing to follow the series as it was interesting.

Regardles of your opinon on part 2, I know a lot of people who finished part 2 complain about the huge stretch to the end. And of course this is all the vocal minority. The vocal minority are the only people I'm talking about, as they are the ones leaving comments of any kind in the first place.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Regardles of your opinon on part 2, I know a lot of people who finished part 2 complain about the huge stretch to the end. And of course this is all the vocal minority. The vocal minority are the only people I'm talking about, as they are the ones leaving comments of any kind in the first place.

Okay, so from your premise, those Part 2 people aren't even bothering with Boruto. At the very least Shippuuden maintained readership or interest in the Naruto fandom.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so from your premise, those Part 2 people aren't even bothering with Boruto. At the very least Shippuuden maintained readership or interest in the Naruto fandom.

I see it as a case of people just wanting to see the story of Naruto to the end. When it ended they're like "finally", and get comfortable with closing that chapter of their interests. (This goes for people who liked it all the way through as well) Then when the new series is announced they're more or less just like "uhh fuck that lol".

And yeah Bleach was something I was gonna mention that's similar in terms of the vocal minority thing. The easy forefront opinion to find on the internet is that Bleach peaked and started going downhill real early, but it still lasted for a long time being very successful. So the tons of people who still followed it consisted of many people that believe that it went downhill quick, as well as the quiet majority that still probably thought it was good.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Boruto up to the end of chunin and all that accompanied it. I gotta say the series has a few issues. I kind of wish we saw more of the older generation which is more of a personal thing, but especially the pacing is just really bad. So many missed opportunities and a lot of fights that were just 1 minute long when they could have had some build up and tension. On the other hand, the show generally looks good. I do hope that borutos character will grow up a little bit as hes been the worst character in the show so far. I also find it weird that they chose to make naruto as absent as he is, but I guess they were bound by the movie (which I haven't seen tbf), and that all the women who got married have completely dropped being ninjas (or so it seems). I'm pretty sure that most parents in Naruto were still ninjas regardless of sex.

It's just. Pretty much everything up till this point, except parts of the chunin exam, and the sarada arc, feels like filler. Maybe it is, but considering how wide of a scope they should have to operate in here, you'd imagine they would pace things better and build things up more, but it's like they treat everything pre chunin like something they just have to plow through. Even the NUE arc was pretty much just 10 episodes of "person gets taken over, person gets taken down and possibly reverted to old state. Reveals small detail about NUE, maybe" ..Damn shame !

I don't hate the show though. But I'd rather gotten grown up Naruto series. Even if the writer was different.

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
and that all the women who got married have completely dropped being ninjas (or so it seems). I'm pretty sure that most parents in Naruto were still ninjas regardless of sex.

This is actually kind of a weird case where the anime/manga isn't showing them doing stuff, for whatever reason. Hinata does a mission in Naruto Shinden, but she's usually busy taking care of her family. Ino and Temari apparently still do missions, and Sakura's still Konoha's lead doctor.

I do agree with you on the pacing tho. While I'm not as cynical about the series as some others are, I feel the pacing has been very off at times. This was rather noticeable in the Chunin Exams arc. Not counting the appearance of Momoshiki and co, the entire final round of the exams was covered in four episodes. They spent more time fighting Shizuma's group (two and a half episodes) then they did on any singular fight in the final round.

Part of the reason why Boruto 65 felt like such a breath of fresh air (besides it's insanely high production values) is it's one of the few times the show had a chance to breath and actually expand a single fight scene out.

EDIT: Now that I looked at the episode list and thought about it, I think the biggest issue might be the fact that the anime is adhering to cours. Despite it being positioned as a long running show akin to Naruto and Shippuden, almost every story arc has happened over the course of about 13 episodes or less

1-15 : Academy Arc (15 episodes)
16-24: Filler + Sarada Arc (9 episodes)
25-31: Field Trip Arc (7 episodes)
32-38: Filler + Graduation Arc (6 episodes)
39: Mitsuki's backstory
40-49: Genin Arc (9 episodes)
50: Recap episode
51-66: Movie Arc (16 episodes)
67-69: Cho-Cho Arc (3 episodes)
70: Metal Lee episode
71-79: Mitsuki Arc (9 episodes so far)

The current arc might actually end up being the longest arc yet, which is rather unusual for an anime only arc.

Last edited:

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
because people where already heavily invested for more then a decade

like Fairy Tail or Bleach

But thats not true. Both Fairy tail and Bleach had big losses of popularity in their manga before they ended while Naruto stayed stable throughout its entire run.

I see it as a case of people just wanting to see the story of Naruto to the end. When it ended they're like "finally", and get comfortable with closing that chapter of their interests. (This goes for people who liked it all the way through as well) Then when the new series is announced they're more or less just like "uhh fuck that lol".

And yeah Bleach was something I was gonna mention that's similar in terms of the vocal minority thing. The easy forefront opinion to find on the internet is that Bleach peaked and started going downhill real early, but it still lasted for a long time being very successful. So the tons of people who still followed it consisted of many people that believe that it went downhill quick, as well as the quiet majority that still probably thought it was good.

Bleach had big declines from what I remember. It used to compete with Naruto volumes, 1 million or so, before dropping down to 300k.

The thing is your premise doesn't hold because Naruto fans supported works after Volume 72 just as well including Boruto the movie.

The Naruto fandom only went fuck that when Boruto series started. There are many reasons for this, from the art, not written or drawn by Kishi making it not canon to many, a lackluster cast, the far more popular older cast being treated badly etc

There's still massive interest for Naruto as a series, just not for Boruto. Thats why I hope a Naruto movie with Kishimoto on board is being produced soon. Either way, Naruto is big enough to ride the wave.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
If anything, some of them have gotten treated better in Boruto. Shino, for example...

True

I'm not going to say Boruto is perfect, but it does some things better like: world building and character development. It's true that most fights in Boruto aren't as crazy and exciting as the best Naruto and Naruto Shippuden had to offer but world building and character development got thrown under the rug in favor of those actions set pieces that a lot of fans want to see now in Boruto.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For all of the world building that Boruto has brought, I still haven't gotten my Hyuga clan related world building. Except for the tease that was Episode 8/9. ¬_¬

Oh, and Naruto Shinden chapter 2, but that hasn't been animated yet.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The "older cast" were treated badly since Shippuden started so...

Well they are treated even worse in Boruto.

If anything, some of them have gotten treated better in Boruto. Shino, for example...

You named one. Let me list everyone that has been treated worse:

Naruto
Sasuke
Kakashi
Gaara
Sakura
Shikamaru
Ino
Sai

The top 4 are the most popular Naruto characters and yet are hardly present in the new series.

I don't know about the stats of Bleach, but my premise still stands. Bleach stats aren't going to invalidate it, I was just saying it reminded me of it in that aspect.

If reality shows Bleach did have a massive decline how does your premise still stand?
If reality shows Naruto stayed the same over the years and only tanked when Boruto the series start, how does that fit with your premise?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
If reality shows Bleach did have a massive decline how does your premise still stand?
If reality shows Naruto stayed the same over the years and only tanked when Boruto the series start, how does that fit with your premise?

Bleach stats don't change what I observe with Naruto. I only said it reminded me of how I saw Bleach, not that it was actually exactly the same lol.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The top 4 are the most popular Naruto characters and yet are hardly present in the new series.
Lack of screentime does not inherently mean a character is treated poorly. Poor treatment would be a character being treated in a way that goes against what one would reasonably expect given the premise, values and goals of a given arc/series. "Not a kid" having low screen time in the "About the kids" series hardly seems like poor treatment.

Better/worse implies treatment relative to the respective goals of the different works and if the goals are different, then levels of screen time aren't a sufficiently relevant metric.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Lack of screentime does not inherently mean a character is treated poorly. Poor treatment would be a character being treated in a way that goes against what one would reasonably expect given the premise, values and goals of a given arc/series. "Not a kid" having low screen time in the "About the kids" series hardly seems like poor treatment.

Better/worse implies treatment relative to the respective goals of the different works and if the goals are different, then levels of screen time aren't a sufficiently relevant metric.

Its both, and screentime definitely is poor treatment as a character's importance is pretty much always defined by their screentime. When you have your most popular characters have little screentime and change their characters (Naruto) fans are not going to watch your show.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I don't know but Gaara being killed by a bunch of nobodies to make the point that said nobodies were actually dangerous vs being the dad of the strongest gennin of their generation makes me think that Gaara wasn't treated that bad in Boruto compared to what they did with him during Shippuden.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its both, and screentime definitely is poor treatment as a character's importance is pretty much always defined by their screentime.
Are you under the impression that if a character isn't important then they are treated poorly? Cause I would also say that that's flawed. A character is treated poorly if they don't get what you would reasonably expect them to deserve. If a character doesn't get a lot of screentime, then sure it follows that they're unimportant. But then why should one expect an unimportant character to get treated like an important character? Seems nonsensical. Rather, they're just being treated in the way that suits their role in the story, with appropriate levels of screen time, relevance, plot agency, etc, aka not poorly.
Or is the problem that "character X" isn't important when you think they should be? Because that's a separate, and irrelevant, matter.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Its both, and screentime definitely is poor treatment as a character's importance is pretty much always defined by their screentime. When you have your most popular characters have little screentime and change their characters (Naruto) fans are not going to watch your show.
The show is called Boruto: Naruto Next Generation, I would expect the kids to have more screentime than the older cast.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
In a recent Italian interview, Ikemoto (the artist not the author) stated that Naruto Part 1 is way better then Naruto Part 2 (which he said was less interesting) and that they want Boruto to follow the Part 1 direction then the Part 2 direction.

He also stated that he got beef from Kishi for his Sarada design. (I think recent addresses from Kishimoto)

This is from NF

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the characters in that list have gotten a decent to ample amount of screentime and character development. Only really Ino and Sai haven't gotten a lot, and even then Sai still played a noticeable role in a few arcs + an entire episode with his family. Regardless of how you feel about Naruto/Sasuke and their respective families, they got a significant amount of exposure in the new series. I personally like how they've handled all of the Uzumaki family stuff myself. I do kinda wish Sasuke/Sakura was done a bit better, but can't win em all.

If Boruto has treated anyone from the old cast badly, it's probably Kiba, lol. Poor dude's been related to background noise and jokes it seems like.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For all of the world building that Boruto has brought, I still haven't gotten my Hyuga clan related world building. Except for the tease that was Episode 8/9. ¬_¬

Oh, and Naruto Shinden chapter 2, but that hasn't been animated yet.
You're just waiting for Hiashis master plan to become canon

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're just waiting for Hiashis master plan to become canon

.... yes, yes I am. :P

Jokes aside tho, given how big the whole main/branch family stuff was in Naruto, I'd like to see more on that. What's happened since then? What will happen if/when Hiashi passes? Is Hanabi still set to become the heiress? How did Neji's death affect the family divide? How does the branch family feel about Boruto and Himawari? Is the cursed seal still used? What are Boruto and Himawari allowed to learn insofar as Gentle Fist techniques go?