• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I just love how Naruto fights are a built on simple dynamics/powers that they just continue to find more and more permutations for. Its about the most efficient way to create meaningful interplay in a fight (heck it mirrors a lot of what people like about classic game design). HxH has a similar dynamic in its fights though it requires more exposition and explanation before and throughout the fights. The fact that the writers could just slide in this scene, which is a twist on the on the same scene from the movie which itself was a combination and twist on classic strats from the OG series is a testament to the firm foundation the Naruto universe sits on.

beautiful post

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I just love how Naruto fights are a built on simple dynamics/powers that they just continue to find more and more permutations for. Its about the most efficient way to create meaningful interplay in a fight (heck it mirrors a lot of what people like about classic game design). HxH has a similar dynamic in its fights though it requires more exposition and explanation before and throughout the fights. The fact that the writers could just slide in this scene, which is a twist on the on the same scene from the movie which itself was a combination and twist on classic strats from the OG series is a testament to the firm foundation the Naruto universe sits on.
tenor.gif

Beautiful post man.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
come back :(
tumblr_pcbac3vsX21wykgrro2_1280.png

tumblr_pcbac3vsX21wykgrro1_1280.png

(Released character model)

SP you need to bring her back T_T

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ahem about the next arc after this one

Back to ANIME ORIGINAL as I stated before and as always all anime episodes are CANON

this arc is also canon because a certain scene/thing within the arc has been stated in a characters DataBook entry via the manga

Here are close character models of the new and main character for the said arc

cbdWewz.png

1IKnVEt.png

y7nffuS.png

7vRE1GW.png

Edit: lol I forgot to say, Kishimoto is doing the script for this LMAO

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol pretty much the truth

even though the anime is canon 100%

See. I like that, and would totally be okay with the anime surpassing the manga if the manga is unable to kick up the pacing.

But some fans just loathe the idea that it's all canonical.

In regards to Kishimoto, I think
he'll do Chocho well for this. She's pretty popular among his staff if I recall, and his writing has improved significantly regarding female characters.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anything that isn't fighting is filler. I heard that in a Dragon Ball thread one time, so it must be true.

Oct 27, 2017
Ahem about the next arc after this one

Back to ANIME ORIGINAL as I stated before and as always all anime episodes are CANON

this arc is also canon because a certain scene/thing within the arc has been stated in a characters DataBook entry via the manga

Here are close character models of the new and main character for the said arc

cbdWewz.png

1IKnVEt.png

y7nffuS.png

7vRE1GW.png

Edit: lol I forgot to say, Kishimoto is doing the script for this LMAO

Holy shit those designs tho, I'm hyped

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How then on the filler list websites do they decide some episodes are filler if everything is Canon?

They seem to be using the novels based off the anime as basis. If it didn't appear in the novels or in the manga, then they count it as filler.

However, they're not entirely accurate regardless. One particular list has episode 18, "A Day in The Life of the Uzumaki Family", marked as "Mostly Filler." Despite the fact that it contains an entire canonical manga chapter in it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
lol the whole anime be it fishing or facing Momo is canon

from beginning to end, that list you see are people's opinions on the matter

episode 18 is somewhat important since it showcases Hima's capabilities

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're telling me that episode with the game developer that tried to rob a bank was canon?

That was easily the worst episode of Boruto.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's the one where the robber threaten to blow himself up, right? I like that episode...

Yeah that one, I dunno man, Boruto trying to talk somebody out of killing themselves and then finding out Boruto likes his game, and because of that he has something to live for etc...

Waiting a week to watch that was painful, PAINFUL.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah that one, I dunno man, Boruto trying to talk somebody out of killing themselves and then finding out Boruto likes his game, and because of that he has something to live for etc...

I remember myself laughing by the game developer backstory. It's the kind of story you'd least expected from Naruto anime.

At that time, Boruto is simply not an anime that I eagerly wait week after week, just some light viewing when I had time and it's a relaxing slice of life series so I don't have problem with the low stakes and ridiculous premise like that.

Edit: honestly I think I have more problem with episodes that have big ambition but fail to meet the expectation. Like the wave arc. It's trying to have a more serious arc, they setup these cool Kisame jr design and his gang trying to rebel, but at the end of it, they're just really underwhelming. I'd probably prefer if they didn't oversell his character and just present his gang as some punks or delinquent in Wave ninja school.

Last edited:

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boruto is simply not an anime that I eagerly wait week after week, just some light viewing when I had time and it's a relaxing slice of life series so I don't have problem with the low stakes and ridiculous premise like that.

I think that's a fair point, up until recently Boruto has been a lot more chilled out, I just thought that particular episode was very reminiscent of Naruto filler, ie awful.

The other annoying thing is that may selection of available anime on Crunchyroll in my region is pretty poor so Boruto is the only thing keeping my sub, which for 1 episode a week isn't really worth it tbh.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not that it was exciting to watch but you have to remember this is still primarily a Japanese show and overworking is a huge problem in Japanese culture. I figure most westerners would miss the plot but that was actually a very progressive theme. Crunch is real and they don't even get paid well for it.

Also this

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...016-saw-another-decline-suicides-japan-21897/

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The game dev episode set up the Byakuyq Gang Arc, so its fine in my book. And it was progressive as hell, I was not expecting Boruto to do a very special episode, and I sure as fuck wasn't expecting an ANIME of all things to be so poignant about its theme at that. That's what makes Boruto special in my book. It still has the big ass Shonen fights and themes but in between when its being Slice of Life, it has all these small little things that make it a believable world, and its okay to touch upon them here and there between arcs.

Those character designs are straight fire for the ChoCho mini arc. Show continues to stay winning.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: honestly I think I have more problem with episodes that have big ambition but fail to meet the expectation. Like the wave arc. It's trying to have a more serious arc, they setup these cool Kisame jr design and his gang trying to rebel, but at the end of it, they're just really underwhelming. I'd probably prefer if they didn't oversell his character and just present his gang as some punks or delinquent in Wave ninja school.

Yeah I generally agree with this.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Don't.

Kishi himself has said he doesn't know why westerners like Naruto so much. Its chock full of Japanese specific folklore and concepts. I imagine most of it just goes over people's head as they watch the fights.
That was what drew me to the series tbh, I really like folklore in general. I love how Kishimoto names a lot of the jutsu after that stuff, like Jiraiya's Goemon technique

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That was what drew me to the series tbh, I really like folklore in general. I love how Kishimoto names a lot of the jutsu after that stuff, like Jiraiya's Goemon technique
I've always loved that Sasuke called his control over Amaterasu flames "Kagutsuchi" because it sounded cool but then I learned that it was the name of a fire deity and I've loved it even more since. It makes sense considering how Amaterasu flames relate to regular flames.

Feels like all the Mangekyo Sharingan techniques have cool, mythological names actually.

Oct 27, 2017
Naruto and by extension Boruto have the best fights imo but I'm not sure about best power-system. Still tho it is one of my favourites and it does provide awesome ninja fights

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The thing with naruto is that Sasuke has a moveset that's a metric ton more versatile than the vast majority of the cast, even Naruto's is quite boring in comparison. Compare him singularly at the end of the manga to anyone else and the difference is like night and day.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hyuga and Gates have more stylish styles then Sasuke

Hence why Momo shined this episode

Oh and Killer BEE
JubilantImpeccableChafer-size_restricted.gif

SaneAlarmedArachnid-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Hyuga and Gates have more stylish styles then Sasuke

Hence why Momo shined this episode

Oh and Killer BEE
JubilantImpeccableChafer-size_restricted.gif

SaneAlarmedArachnid-size_restricted.gif
Yeah but I'm talking about versatility, not one or two styles. Just counting the number moves, move types, elemental types etc against what everyone else has and you see what I'm talking about. It's not a small difference once you reach endgame Sasuke.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Boruto is literally half a Hyuga so if he eventually gets the REAL gentle fist and also Sasuke kenjutsu then tell me guys that is literally 2 crazy styles right there
Yeah but I'm talking about versatility, not one or two styles. Just counting the number moves, move types, elemental types etc against what everyone else has and you see what I'm talking about.
Naruto is really versatile

it is just that he barely uses his other skills lol (on numerous occasions )

makes sense for the Momo fight though since Momo absorbs ninjutsu.... Sasuke needed his lightning int hat fight to keep up to their transformed mode speed (Naruto and Momo)

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Boruto is literally half a Hyuga so if he eventually gets the REAL gentle fist and also Sasuke kenjutsu then tell me guys that is literally 2 crazy styles right there

Naruto is really versatile

it is just that he barely uses his other skills lol (on numerous occasions )

makes sense for the Momo fight though since Momo absorbs ninjutsu.... Sasuke needed his lightning int hat fight to keep up to their transformed mode speed (Naruto and Momo)
Eh Naruto has clones, bigger rasengans, Kyuubi/Toad tech and some feints. He's not very versatile he's the epitome of a brute force fighter which is what he's always been to Sasuke's versatile finesse. It's a running theme between the two.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Eh Naruto has clones, bigger rasengans, Kyuubi/Toad tech and some feints. He's not very versatile he's the epitome of a brute force fighter which is what he's always been to Sasuke's versatile finesse. It's a running theme between the two.
toad summonings
which are small toads that are recon

big toads that have spears and swords but he unlike Jirayai can't do Toad genjutsu and other Toad ninjutsu

sage mode with frog kata (taijutsu style)

lava release, boil release,and magnet release KKG but also all normal natures as well

negative emotion sensing, chakra sensing as well as Torii Seal

ability to phase is other arm into people and take chakra (from the last)

a better CES then Sakura and Tsunade (and tailed beast CES and Sage CES)

and in the manga he has something else but I can't say

let alone he also occasionally uses ninja weapons

Sasuke is usually the one that uses his stuff more, while Naruto nerfs himself from fight to fight... the only time he went full on was against Kaguya and Madara

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Naruto's got a versatile moveset.
Also even when you just look at Rasengan + Shadow Clones, there's a lot of depth there due to all the options that those two together with his chakra reserves present.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
toad summonings
which are small toads that are recon

big toads that have spears and swords but he unlike Jirayai can't do Toad genjutsu and other Toad ninjutsu

sage mode with frog kata (taijutsu style)

lava release, boil release,and magnet release KKG but also all normal natures as well

negative emotion sensing, chakra sensing as well as Torii Seal

ability to phase is other arm into people and take chakra (from the last)

a better CES then Sakura and Tsunade (and tailed beast CES and Sage CES)

and in the manga he has something else but I can't say

let alone he also occasionally uses ninja weapons

Sasuke is usually the one that uses his stuff more, while Naruto nerfs himself from fight to fight... the only time he went full on was against Kaguya and Madara
Bunch of those i mentioned in my vague headings and a lot aren't particularly combat orientated and are highly situational (which is why he doesn't use that much). That's what I mean the fact you have to resort to that for the MC of the story says a lot.

It's the same with a lot of characters. That's what I mean very large chunk of Naruto as series battle move-set versatility is focused on Sasuke (an unhealthy amount). The recent Boruto battle was mainly Sasuke's few dozen moves riffing on and complementing a few of Naruto's core abilities in various combinations. If you removed that the majority of combat choreography variation disappears just like that. Which isn't the same as if you for example removed Naruto but still had Sasuke and Boruto.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
well Naruto was also robbed from his Uzumaki history and abilities just because...

in reality those could've also been applicable in combat

Just saw this. They will have a new director.

yeah it is switching

the former director will be part of the staff still and work on episodes (maybe a temporary cool down/resting period while they wait for the manga to push onward)