• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These shows should be set two generations down the line, Avatar did it correctly. Make the heroes of your first show OLD, maybe they can still power up once but they're clearly on the downside. Maybe you have a big bad that is defeated by the old hero but his body can't take it and he dies. This also serves to move the world forward and you can explore how the events of the first show are felt when no one TRULY remembers what happened

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was waiting for this. It seems like Naruto's idea of world building is making everyone over the age of 21 incredibly weak, stupid or all of the above.

I now eagerly await for the power of friendship to save the day or better yet the ultimate talk no justu to be unleashed on these dark souls to show them light.

Nov 17, 2017
Really? Complaning that Naruto/Sasuke are gods so they can't lose or be touched when the opponent is an actual real god that even Kaguya feared. And they didn't even defeated Kaguya, they could only seal her.

There's a lot of things to complain about Naruto and Boruto but this ain't it.
People complain that Naruto and Sasuke are gods who can't be defeated (they aren't) but then when someone with the power of a god defeats them, they're upset.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
While I'm sure it'll happen because it's Shonen, I think the series is set up in a way where they don't need Boruto become a deity level character like his dad and Sasuke.

Since the beginning of the series Boruto has always felt that he has to be the best and be the one to beat his dad - he even went so far as to cheat during the chuunin exams even though he's a genius. But after that arc ended his character kinda changed from a kid trying to surpass his God father, to a kid understanding he doesn't need to and just wants to improve on his own terms. A story about someone realizing that they'll never be able to escape from the shadow of their father/uncle and all that they've done, and still managing to become a legend on their own would be great.

For this current villain, Naruto is sealed but he specifically wanted Sasuke to escape so that he could come up with a plan to win. Naruto ain't going nowhere (for the time being) and Boruto will definitely have a hand in the battle as well, but I still think it's going to mostly be a round 2 fight for Naruto+Sasuke vs Jigen.

Buuuuuut it's prolly going to be Boruto with eye hacks surpassing everyone.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm sure it'll happen because it's Shonen, I think the series is set up in a way where they don't need Boruto become a deity level character like his dad and Sasuke.

Since the beginning of the series Boruto has always felt that he has to be the best and be the one to beat his dad - he even went so far as to cheat during the chuunin exams even though he's a genius. But after that arc ended his character kinda changed from a kid trying to surpass his God father, to a kid understanding he doesn't need to and just wants to improve on his own terms. A story about someone realizing that they'll never be able to escape from the shadow of their father/uncle and all that they've done, and still managing to become a legend on their own would be great.

For this current villain, Naruto is sealed but he specifically wanted Sasuke to escape so that he could come up with a plan to win. Naruto ain't going nowhere (for the time being) and Boruto will definitely have a hand in the battle as well, but I still think it's going to mostly be a round 2 fight for Naruto+Sasuke vs Jigen.

Buuuuuut it's prolly going to be Boruto with eye hacks surpassing everyone.
Boruto's dojutsu is kinda shit though

akaxiri

Oct 31, 2017
i do love his design

boruto-ch-38-hes-bad-news.jpg

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The series was a mistake...never thought it could go more downhill after part 2 Naruto completely felt apart with space ninja shit and asspulls

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The most popular shonen series of all time have no problems with scalation so I dunno why people are talking about scalation being a big problem in shonen.

Nov 17, 2017
I just don't class Boruto as canon tbh seeing as it doesn't make sense for Boruto to be able to get anywhere near Narutos power.
Karma. Boruto literally has the same kind of power the guy who just beat Naruto has.

The most popular shonen series of all time have no problems with scalation so I dunno why people are talking about scalation being a big problem in shonen.
Some people seem to be really against the idea of anyone standing up to Naruto and Sasuke but a lot of popular Shonen do this type of thing. Frieza was the most powerful thing ever and Super Saiyan was the peak of power until a few robots made a joke out of it. Everyone loves Super Saiyan God and the Gods of Destruction even though they were retconned into the story for Super. I don't get what the issue with Naruto and Sasuke being defeated by a new villain is when it's been firmly established that someone stronger than them would be coming for years at this point.

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019
The only real fight he had he lost and had to be revived/healed by those 2 lackeys. If that isn't over-hyped I don't know what is. Gon got healed by a character that came out of nowhere that just happens to be able to grant wishes.
I just read the chapter and the OP is right, Sasuke/Naruto got cleaned up in no time, what a shame.

Are you sure you actually watched/read the damn thing ???

Meruem defeated the strongest hunter Netero with minimal damage. He only got defeated due to the nuclear bomb(which technically failed to kill him with the initial impact). If there is one thing about Meruem that definitely isn't overhyped its his power lol. He would easily destroy everyone else especially in Post Rose mode where he is pretty much unbeatable.

Last edited:

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see y'all calling out that awful HxH take.

On topic, this is the problem with always having to improve on power levels. Things get stupid real quick.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Are you sure you actually watched/read the damn thing ??? Meruem defeated the strongest hunter Netero with minimal damage. He only got defeated by a nuclear bomb. If there is one thing Meruem definitely isn't overhyped its his power lol.
A bomb triggered by netero, end result is the same he lost. All that power and did nothing but sit in the same area waiting for an event that went nowhere. It just highlights how poor the arc was.

At this point maybe I should start a new thread, going kinda off topic here.

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I watched HxH recently and the chimera ant arc was the worst arc i've seen in an anime in a decade. Poor pacing, nonsensical themes (ants eating people and changing species/body swaps basically), sidelining of the good characters and a 1 dimensional boss that was over hyped.

I'm still salty that Kurapica's revenge was sidelined by 3 pointless arcs.
G7Pdmfw.png

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Exactly and some storm guy that swept through Loguetown I think

Stay away from One Piece spoilers by any means, if you care about that sort of thing and managed to avoid them so far. Seriously, dont even try to Google anything One Piece related lol. There are a lot of characters that pop up seemingly randomly but wind up being so important you will legit do a double take.

And make sure to read the manga cover chapters if you havent already.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
If he's related to Kaguya then the series did kind of set it up. It's not like he was asspulled out of nowhere like most DBZ villains.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm not even surprised. It seems Jigen is a vessel from someone at the Otsutsuki clan. I guess it makes sense he'll be able to defeat the two of them but I still find it BS anyway

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If he's related to Kaguya then the series did kind of set it up. It's not like he was asspulled out of nowhere like most DBZ villains.

Yeah, and his "asspull" is that he absorbs all chakra (tying into the theme of the series, which is basically "No Country for Old Ninjas").

Boruto will win by using jutsu together with karma. Thus demonstrating that it's possible to update traditional things without totally disregarding them. Put a bow on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they won't level him up further than those two, but he had to get to their level so they can have a three man team brawl... Maybe

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Title should clarify that this was on the manga since the continuity between the manga and the anime isn't that obvious at first glance which is kind of bothersome to me.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Stay away from One Piece spoilers by any means, if you care about that sort of thing and managed to avoid them so far. Seriously, dont even try to Google anything One Piece related lol. There are a lot of characters that pop up seemingly randomly but wind up being so important you will legit do a double take.

And make sure to read the manga cover chapters if you havent already.
Oo even more intriguing and will do, yeah I've somehow managed to actually remain unspoiled on it somehow I think..

thanks for the heads up tho

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naruto/Boruto long ago reached the point where no sane person watches it with an expectation of even a semblance of coherent application of the rules that were initially set up for that universe

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Glad, I'm not the only one who thought Bleach when I saw the character. The white coat/robes sell it haha.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I don't understand how anyone watching shonen anime can take power levels (whether explicitly given a numerical value or not) seriously. They specifically exist to be ever inflating. There is absolutely no permanence, no matter how high you go.

This but with spiky hair.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Boruto had a lot of potential, but the anime with so much filler has become atrocious, the manga style is awful too.