• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think it's probably worth noting that Boris has already held political positions and has proven to be terrible at every aspect of them whilst wasting millions of taxpayer money. Supporting him's arguably stupider than supporting Trump.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The media don't seem to be covering it because they're too busy giving Boris free publicity, but Jeremy Hunt is doing a Twitter AMA today as a "fuck you" to Boris:

It's funny than an open call for questions to a potential new PM is being completely steamrolled by Boris Boris Boris Boris in the news. It reminds me of the Trump campaign - everyone was talking about him and nobody was talking about Hillary, not even her supporters.

(Edit: To clarify, I don't see Hunt as the Hillary to Boris's Trump, it's just an interesting campaign parallel.)

Last edited:

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Don't tell me about my nonchalant attitude when the UK and the british media have been riding the anti EU wave for the last 20 years. That's what caused Brexit in the first place. In continental Europe there are no anti UK sentiments.

I suggest that you take a look at history, and realise that one person, or indeed even one political party, does not speak for the whole country, or even the majority.

I am not one of those that feel that the EU is "out to get us", but to believe that there is no anti UK sentiment is simply naive.

Nov 14, 2017
Just with regards to the thread title: I don't think most people are blind to the fact that Boris is on the same level as Trump - in fact, he's probably worse. The reality is that lots of people in the UK actually like Trump. There's a pretty big overlap IMO between people who voted for Brexit, think Trump is OK, and would vote for Boris.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Just with regards to the thread title: I don't think most people are blind to the fact that Boris is on the same level as Trump - in fact, he's probably worse. The reality is that lots of people in the UK actually like Trump. There's a pretty big overlap IMO between people who voted for Brexit, think Trump is OK, and would vote for Boris.
Trump is not popular here even amongst most Brexiters. According to YouGov, 21% of Brits have a positive opinion of Trump, with 67% negative. A -46 approval rating.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I suggest that you take a look at history, and realise that one person, or indeed even one political party, does not speak for the whole country, or even the majority.

I am not one of those that feel that the EU is "out to get us", but to believe that there is no anti UK sentiment is simply naive.

I'm living in continental Europe. We have nothing to gain when the UK leaves. EU politicians are begging the UK to make up their mind and stay. German politicians even put a pro stay letter to the UK parliament in one your stupid papers. You never hear or see something like that from the British side except some pro EU tv ads from Scotland at the time of the last deadline. "They will crumble any minute and kiss the feet of the Queen" is the only thing that coming from the UK.

Nov 14, 2017
Trump is not popular here even amongst most Brexiters. According to YouGov, 21% of Brits have a positive opinion of Trump, with 67% negative. A -46 approval rating.
Right, and I bet all of those 21% voted for Brexit. That's nearly half of all Brexiteers. I've spent most of my life in majority Brexit areas (60%+) and Trump isn't as hated as you might think.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm living in continental Europe. We have nothing to gain when the UK leaves. EU politicians are begging the UK to make up their mind and stay. German politicians even put a pro stay letter to the UK parliament in one your stupid papers. You never hear or see something like that from the British side except some pro EU tv ads from Scotland at the time of the last deadline. "They will crumble any minute and kiss the feet of the Queen" is the only thing that coming from the UK.

When did I say there wasn't anti EU sentiment here? What I said was that anti UK sentiment also exists, and that doesn't help matters, and helps the cause of people like Farage.

Criticism of the UK is not the same thing as saying that the UK should suffer, because whether you accept it or not, you know it will result in the suffering of the people.

If you haven't realised this by now, it makes you as ignorant as anti-EU supporters. If you have realised it and believe the same regardless, it makes you the same as Boris and Farage, and either way, frankly if your views are the types of anti UK views that are shown by Farage et al, to their followers, then I can see why so many people voted to leave (not that I agree with them).

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It baffles me that UK politicians legitimately still want brexit. Have they not realized by now that its a terrible idea?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
they're not blind to it. you're blind to the reality of the electorate in your country

people need to wake the fuck up

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
Right, and I bet all of those 21% voted for Brexit. That's nearly half of all Brexiteers. I've spent most of my life in majority Brexit areas (60%+) and Trump isn't as hated as you might think.
This is a terrible approval rating. Of course some racists love him, of which you apparently have the misfortune to know some, but over 2/3 of the country think he's a bell end, including a majority of Brexiters. I suspect this is because they think he's a crass and loud American than out of any objection to being an utterly dishonest racist rapist who puts children in concentration camps, but it still doesn't change the fact that he's massively unpopular in this country.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YouGov hasn't gone to every Brexiteer for that result. The people who voted The Brexit Party must love Trump, like him in some ways or have no feelings towards towards him. Farage is best buddies with Trump.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not blind to it, it's what a substantial part of the country wants. Luckily the UK's parliamentary system limits how bad he can be somewhat but it's still an awful situation all around

Sure, on large issues like the budget, the NHS, etc. but Boris would be in charge of Brexit. With Art. 50 invoked, the horse has left the gates, he's not in control, his role is to negotiate a resolution. If he's completely incompetent then the UK bombs out with no deal and possible food and medicine shortages are a reality. It's easy to think, "oh, that's dramatic, things will just work out," but in the US, child refugees are sleeping on concrete under full lights, eating modly bread and are not able to bathe. That's because the people in charge of their care are phenomenally incompetent (either purposely or not). Even if the EU starts donating medicine into the UK, there's no guarantee they'd even accept it because they might not know how to phycially accept a donation. Excpect to see a lot of food rotting and medicine spoiling on docks in November under the worst possible scenario.

While parliament can be very good at limiting a poor policy, it can be bad at implementing a necessary policy.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It baffles me that UK politicians legitimately still want brexit. Have they not realized by now that its a terrible idea?
Will of the people innit.

To be honest, all it does is highlight just how popularised our politics is, Bojo et al are doing what they are doing, not for the good of the country, but for self serving purposes, none of them want to put their head above the parapet and say, you know what, Brexit will be terrible for the country in the long run, simply because it will end their career, hence why the rest of them won't either, an issue that transcends party borders.

Democracy is dead.

Edit, maybe not completely dead, but in the least irreparably broken.

As for Boris's media appearances, or lack of, I imagine the only way his team can think of stopping him being able to put his bloody great foot in his stupid gob is not to give him a platform to do it.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
This is a terrible approval rating. Of course some racists love him, of which you apparently have the misfortune to know some, but over 2/3 of the country think he's a bell end, including a majority of Brexiters. I suspect this is because they think he's a crass and loud American than out of any objection to being an utterly dishonest racist rapist who puts children in concentration camps, but it still doesn't change the fact that he's massively unpopular in this country.
I wasn't talking about the majority of the country. I was talking specifically about Brexiteers. The title of the thread suggests that the UK seems blind to the Trump comparison, when in fact most of Johnson's core vote is not only fully aware of the comparison, but views it favourably.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
I wasn't talking about the majority of the country. I was talking specifically about Brexiteers. The title of the thread suggests that the UK seems blind to the Trump comparison, when in fact most of Johnson's core vote is not only fully aware of the comparison, but views it favourably.
Since that 21% is almost certainly a big portion of the people saying they'll currently vote for BXP, and not the Tories, this remains to be seen. It's hard to say how Johnson's ascension will shift the polls. He might well win back some of these BXP voters but lose a few more Tories to the LDs. Strange as it may seem, there is still such a thing as a Tory remainer. And they all hate Johnson.

Nov 14, 2017
Since that 21% is almost certainly a big portion of the people saying they'll currently vote for BXP, and not the Tories, this remains to be seen. It's hard to say how Johnson's ascension will shift the polls. He might well win back some of these BXP voters but lose a few more Tories to the LDs. Strange as it may seem, there is still such a thing as a Tory remainer. And they all hate Johnson.
This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Johnson is trying to appeal to the hardcore Brexit vote. He's calculating that he can stop the shift to BXP by coming out for no-deal and acting more Trump than Trump, and counting on Tory remainers to still vote for him on the ground of anything but Corbyn.

To counter that, I think we need a broader conversation than 'Boris is like a UK Trump'. Convincing people of that fact isn't hard - I think most people already see it - and it doesn't change anything.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When did I say there wasn't anti EU sentiment here? What I said was that anti UK sentiment also exists, and that doesn't help matters, and helps the cause of people like Farage.

Criticism of the UK is not the same thing as saying that the UK should suffer, because whether you accept it or not, you know it will result in the suffering of the people.

If you haven't realised this by now, it makes you as ignorant as anti-EU supporters. If you have realised it and believe the same regardless, it makes you the same as Boris and Farage, and either way, frankly if your views are the types of anti UK views that are shown by Farage et al, to their followers, then I can see why so many people voted to leave (not that I agree with them).

Anti UK sentiments were practically non existent in the media before the referendum. Now that you guys are the laughing stock of the world, there are course growing anti UK sentiments. But definitely not like the anti EU sentiments in the UK. It's more schadenfreude than disgust and rejection.

And where did i say the British people should suffer? I said you guys should learn it the hard way because prolonging Brexit doesn't solve anything. And if the British government can't come to a decision it's time for the EU to end this madness. Another extension is only warranted if there would be a GE or a second referendum. But nothing that Boris says implies that this may happen. Instead he is still lying and spouting nonsense. The four freedoms are non negotiable. How can the Tory party not understand this after three years? It's not the EU problems the UK is ran by racists. And btw really dumb racists. After the eastern european countries joined the EU, the UK had the chance to block immigration for seven years just like Germany did. But you welcomed everybody. And now those immigrants are the devil. It's all self inflicted.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Anti UK sentiments were practically non existent in the media before the referendum. Now that you guys are the laughing stock of the world, there are course growing anti UK sentiments. But definitely not like the anti EU sentiments in the UK. It's more schadenfreude than disgust and rejection.

And where did i say the British people should suffer? I said you guys should learn it the hard way because prolonging Brexit doesn't solve anything. And if the British government can't come to a decision it's time for the EU to end this madness. Another extension is only warranted if there would be a GE or a second referendum. But nothing that Boris says implies that this may happen. Instead he is still lying and spouting nonsense. The four freedoms are non negotiable. How can the Tory party not understand this after three years? It's not the EU problems the UK is ran by racists. And btw really dumb racists. After the eastern european countries joined the EU, the UK had the chance to block immigration for seven years just like Germany did. But you welcomed everybody. And now those immigrants are the devil. It's all self inflicted.

Rather than getting into the "he said", "she said", I will say to you to carefully re-read your posts, but not because I want to prove anything.

What I do hope you concede, is that the Tories are not an extension of the UK, whether that be a majority, or completely. They only have a functioning majority of four in Parliament IIRC, and even some of those are Remainers, or want a 2nd ref.

If a person wants the UK to suffer, then by extension the people of the UK will suffer. The UK government doesn't live in a vacuum, where any harm that befalls it due to Brexit, will only be suffered by them. I hope you can understand this, and see why this sentiment is seen as offensive.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
The reason we are getting Bojo is because of Corbyn and given the choice of the two it's Bojo all day long for me. I would of like Gove getting in the final 2 as I think he would of been a bigger threat than Hunt. Corbyn is a bigger threat to the Uk than Bojo and that's saying something.

Wow, I didn't realise the editor of The Times posted here.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
tyz8onh835531.jpg

You'd think Brits would be smart enough not to support Farage (a Russian agent) and Boris Johnson (holds a grudge against EU due to being bullied in european school) in their attempts to earn a lot of money in destroying the UK, but here we are. Farage got voted in again and Boris is on the fast track to become the next PM after goddamned Theresa May.

At what point do you say "enough is enough"? Never?

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've despised BoJo for years and the fact that he's inches away from actual power (let alone total power) with zero mandate from the public fucking infuriates me. The guy is a dangerously incompetent clown and a compulsive liar. Can only hope he won't last.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've despised BoJo for years and the fact that he's inches away from actual power (let alone total power) with zero mandate from the public fucking infuriates me. The guy is a dangerously incompetent clown and a compulsive liar. Can only hope he won't last.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

It seriously makes me sick that we're having to helplessly stare down the barrel of this destructive, coke snorting racist honey monster being given control of all our futures and he's pretty much said he wants to take the biggest, nastiest shit he can squeeze out all over them.

We should have had a general election as soon as May announced her resignation... at least we might have had a chance there.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should have had a general election as soon as May announced her resignation... at least we might have had a chance there.

And such delicious irony that is, the man who made a big song and dance about Gordon Brown taking power from Blair, one who called it a terrible day for democracy, will likely gain his place in the same way.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
And such delicious irony that is, the man who made a big song and dance about Gordon Brown taking power from Blair, one who called it a terrible day for democracy, will likely gain his place in the same way.

He's been trying to distinguish between himself and what he said about Brown, for the last few days, with no success lol.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep. Completely unearned, gurning in smugness as he drifts effortlessly into a position he's catastrophically ill-suited for, all because his party are desperate to claw back votes with someone vaguely marketable.
The only thing marketable about Boris is that he's a massive bumblecunt.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yep. Completely unearned, gurning in smugness as he drifts effortlessly into a position he's catastrophically ill-suited for, all because his party are desperate to claw back votes with someone vaguely marketable.
The only thing marketable about Boris is that he's a massive bumblecunt.

It's not even effortless. He's somehow making it harder than it should be. That's the level of his bumblecuntery.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I can't help but blame Russell Howard.

He was presented as the clown, the lovable eccentric Uncle, the walking meme. Jokes guys, he's actually a dangerously incompetent racist/womaniser with a penchant for egocentric posturing and the keys to the country in his slimy grasp.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't help but blame Russell Howard.

He was presented as the clown, the lovable eccentric Uncle, the walking meme. Jokes guys, he's actually a dangerously incompetent racist/womaniser with a penchant for egocentric posturing and the keys to the country in his slimy grasp.

Aye, partly to blame for the 'character', but surely Bojo's own appearances on HIGNFY had a much greater impact?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Front of the Metro today showing him getting licked by a dog, making him out to be some lovable buffoon. It's an image he's definitely trying to maintain.

Funny how his domestic incident has suddenly gone quiet.