• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

The new government commission on racial inequalities is being set up by a No 10 adviser who has cast doubt on the existence of institutional racism and condemned previous inquiries for fostering a "culture of grievance", it has emerged.

Munira Mirza, the head of the No 10 policy unit, is leading much of the work to form the commission on race and ethnic disparities announced by Boris Johnson on Sunday after the global wave of Black Lives Matter protests, the Guardian has been told.

It is understood that Mirza has said she hopes to recruit Trevor Phillips as part of the commission. Phillips, a former chair of the Equalities and Human Rights Commission, would be a controversial choice, having previously referred to UK Muslims as being "a nation within a nation".

The revelation of Mirza's role was met with dismay from experts and MPs. The shadow justice secretary, David Lammy, whose own review on inequalities in the judicial system was criticised by Mirza, tweeted on Monday evening that the appointment "further undermines" Johnson's race commission.

The Labour MP added: "My review was welcomed by all parties: Corbyn, Cameron and May. But Munira Mirza went out of her way to attack it. Johnson isn't listening to #BlackLivesMatter. He's trying to wage a culture war."

The Institute of Race Relations thinktank said it would be hard to have confidence in the commission's outcomes.

"Any enquiry into inequality has to acknowledge structural and systemic factors. Munira Mirza's previous comments describe a 'grievance culture' within the anti-racist field and she has previously argued that institutional racism is 'a perception more than a reality'," a spokesperson said. "It is difficult to have any confidence in policy recommendations from someone who denies the existence of the very structures that produce the social inequalities experienced by black communities."

The Labour MP Diane Abbott, a former shadow home secretary, said: "A new race equalities commission led by Munira Mirza is dead on arrival. She has never believed in institutional racism."

Mirza, who is also understood to be leading efforts to recruit commission members, has been an outspoken critic of previous government attempts to tackle structural factors behind racial inequality.

She condemned an audit of racial inequalities in public services commissioned by Theresa May, which No 10 say will form part of the basis of the new commission. Writing for the Spectator in 2017, Mirza said the audit showed how "anti-racism is becoming weaponised across the political spectrum".

In the same article, Mirza criticised two other reports which Johnson's government has promised to act on: the one written by Lammy when he was a backbencher, and another on unequal pay among ethnic groups. Mirza said both showed "wrongheaded thinking about race".

Dawn Butler, a Labour MP and former equalities minister, said Mirza's role "undermines its credibility from the very outset by appointing someone who stands by Johnson's racist comments, rejected the Lammy review, saying 'institutional racism' is 'a perception more than a reality', and opposed Theresa May's very own racial disparities audit.

"This should not be a fact-finding inquiry," said the crossbench peer. "This should be framing a comprehensive action plan to reform those key areas that Boris Johnson has acknowledged that have systemic racism."

Mirza, a one-time supporter of the Revolutionary Communist party, who spent eight years as Johnson's deputy mayor for culture in London, has been an outspoken critic of anti-racism and what she called "its culture of grievance".

In the Spectator article, she took issue with Lammy's review into the justice system by saying that in some ways, people from BAME backgrounds have "more favourable treatment compared with whites".

In a blogpost from 2018, Mirza argued that injustices were only treated seriously if there was "a social justice angle that can be divined (or manufactured)".

These views chime to an extent with Johnson's attempts to reframe the debate about the mass protests after the killing of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis in terms of opposition to removing statues, and his view that more should be done to talk up positive experiences about race.

"What I feel most strongly is that there are so many positive stories that are not being heard," he told reporters in Downing Street on Monday. "Things really are changing. You're seeing young black kids now doing better in some of the most difficult subjects in school than they were ever before, more going to top universities."

""In the Spectator article, she took issue with Lammy's review into the justice system by saying that in some ways, people from BAME backgrounds have "more favourable treatment compared with whites""

www.theguardian.com

Dismay as No 10 adviser is chosen to set up UK race inequality commission

Munira Mirza has doubted existence of institutional racism and criticised ‘culture of grievance’

You think they'd at least try to put on a charade.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
"What I feel most strongly is that there are so many positive stories that are not being heard," he told reporters in Downing Street on Monday. "Things really are changing. You're seeing young black kids now doing better in some of the most difficult subjects in school than they were ever before, more going to top universities."

We don't hear about the positive stories because they should be unremarkable; they should be 'life functioning as normal'. If you flag them up as being exceptional, that in itself is an indication that there is an issue.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Oooff. That second clip. I think I would be more comfortable if she was just like 'We don't see color' bullshit..or maybe some light bigotry herself but watching that it looks like a cornerstone of her beliefs is that activily trying to confront racism is hurting society, on top of POC's are too sensitive, LOL. And she's using papers she's read talking about race to booster up those beliefs.

And she's a person of color herself? The commission is doomed.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair to her, people from BAME backgrounds have a more favourable chance of being the victim of police brutality.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
WHo expected a good faith effort from these people. They will find a few "good ones" to say the shit they can't say.

Oct 31, 2017
There's an art of your traditional British whitewashing inquiry. You appoint someone respected (who will be given a peerage for their help) , spend years and years gathering evidence and then publish half the report while announcing 'mistakes were made, no criminality occurred, lessons were learnt kthanxbye'.

This lot aren't even trying

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Johnson's going to do the bare minimum to give himself plausible cover but he's always going to ignore the issue at best and undermine it at worst, because he himself is a racist and a colonialist.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Know when bad actors talk about "perfomative wokeness" and "virtue signalling". It's projecting shit like this

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I hate that brown people are becoming a racial shield for the Tory party.

Fuck these sell outs.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Lets ignore her for a second, and say if there's an actual inquiry with recommendations, it'll be 4th inquiry on the books in the last 15 years, and if the recommendations are enacted it'll be the first of 4.

In the UK system, an inquiry is where you set the terms to give you the answer you want, and even then you do sod all about the outcomes.

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at the replies to that tweet about her being toxic, 95% at least is people agreeing with her.

Left needs to be careful how it tries to counter her views because the Tory plan to quell BLM is to convince its supporters it's all about not being able to ask 'so where do you come from?' in the workplace, to join up all discrimination and racism with 'woke culture' and brush it back under the rug. Can't allow them to focus the discussion on the straw men.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Infuriating, but it's what the people of this country chose, knowing full well that Johnson is an overt racist and supporter of colonialism.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is she somehow confused about the colour of her own skin?

I mean I'm not aware of the details of UK politics. But... is she unaware how Pakistani people are treated in the UK??? I mean WHAT?

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
EalYdF9XsAAzoug

That last sentence is unreal.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
So fair and tolerant that selling out people who look like you is a requirement to climb the tory ladder

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
So deliberate, having a brown person talk this shit is the quickest way to validate racists and make white britain feel extra good about themselves.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't been following that closely but is this commission even necessary? As far as I know there are several recent reports on racial inequality that have been ignored.

Is this supposed to be looking at something different or just set up to brush it all under the carpet? Obviously that is what they're doing anyway but what is the argument for having it in the first place?

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the replies to that tweet about her being toxic, 95% at least is people agreeing with her.

Left needs to be careful how it tries to counter her views because the Tory plan to quell BLM is to convince its supporters it's all about not being able to ask 'so where do you come from?' in the workplace, to join up all discrimination and racism with 'woke culture' and brush it back under the rug. Can't allow them to focus the discussion on the straw men.
Twitter is not real life

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been following that closely but is this commission even necessary? As far as I know there are several recent reports on racial inequality that have been ignored.

Is this supposed to be looking at something different or just set up to brush it all under the carpet? Obviously that is what they're doing anyway but what is the argument for having it in the first place?
It is when they want a result that says everything is fine institutional racism is a myth

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
This sent me down a rabbithole earlier of the Revolutionary Communist Party/Living Marxism/Spiked continuum to try to understand how someone could go from Trotskyism to Boris Johnson's advisor. I still don't get it.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
So deliberate, having a brown person talk this shit is the quickest way to validate racists and make white britain feel extra good about themselves.

Of course. It's why the Tories are so happy to have Priti Patel stand up in Parliament and say that she won't take lectures on racism and mudsling at Starmer over Corbyn/Labour's perceived racism/anti-semitism. She's either happy to play the role for a sniff of power or she's a genuine true believer, but either way she's just a useful idiot for the Tories and an ideal shield for when they want to sling accusations of racism or blunt accusations against them: "How could we be racists? Look at this young, successful Asian woman! Truly, YOU are the true racists!"

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How deliberate and no doubt nothing of worth will come out as planned....around brexit time. Will people take their head out their racist arses and stop voting Tory.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Some people live their entire life for white validations and have their self worth tied to it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatism hinges on the belief of a hierarchical society so any attempts to even things up(such as anti-racism movement) would be a non-starter for them.

Can't have winners without losers.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I wonder how much of this is an attempt to find an "in" for their culture war bullshit that is mass-marketable. They've been repeatedly prodding to find a route for this (they were roadtesting a lot of this before the election before going all in on "Get Brexit Done") - but I think most of the British public don't really care about it. Twitter is another story, but as the right-wingers themselves keep reminding us, it's a bubble.

^ for some, I imagine that at some point you become so cynical / disillusioned you realize that nothing matters beyond the self. Everything after that is a just a song and dance.
Yeah, I still wonder how much of it was "fuck, we need a new meal ticket" and how much of it was a genuine ideological transformation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Yet another example of how Boris is an echo of Trump. Just hiring the worst people for the wrong jobs. Give it 6 months, an this woman will just say "Everything is fine", and we'll be expected to move on.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
This sent me down a rabbithole earlier of the Revolutionary Communist Party/Living Marxism/Spiked continuum to try to understand how someone could go from Trotskyism to Boris Johnson's advisor. I still don't get it.

I think, if you're minded to agree with Tories on their ideological pillars, such as less government is best, hard work maketh the man/woman etc, and you yourself are successful then it's easy to pretend that all anyone else is lacking is elbow grease or whatever.

That shines through in her writing. "I got here by myself, why has no-one else managed it?"

I often think that the wheels of government only promote this kind of bullshit thinking because I have literally no idea how some of these special adviser types get into the positions they're in. they seem to have no particular training or education that marks them out as qualified for the roles they fill.

As has already been mentioned, likely the few people of colour get pushed up the totem pole a little because they are useful shields. Patel has proved you can be consistently useless at your job but still be kept around but then I suppose the same is true of Boris Johnson.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

As an Atheist from a Muslim background (which I am assuming she is as well) I'm finding it difficult to disagree with the criticisms of Islam.

Though the stuff she says in the OP video about the Black person being complimented for her accent and about Britain's relation to American racial politics is ignorant trash.

She is I suppose (British Asians would be better judges) the dictionary definition of, I hope I don't offend here, a "Coconut."

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

She came along long after the change from left to right, the others like Claire Fox were always at war with other groups on the left and their focus on complete free speech and hatred of the imperial western state took them down the path sort of naturally. there's a shit load of cash to be made as well.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think, if you're minded to agree with Tories on their ideological pillars, such as less government is best, hard work maketh the man/woman etc, and you yourself are successful then it's easy to pretend that all anyone else is lacking is elbow grease or whatever.

That shines through in her writing. "I got here by myself, why has no-one else managed it?"

I often think that the wheels of government only promote this kind of bullshit thinking because I have literally no idea how some of these special adviser types get into the positions they're in. they seem to have no particular training or education that marks them out as qualified for the roles they fill.

As has already been mentioned, likely the few people of colour get pushed up the totem pole a little because they are useful shields. Patel has proved you can be consistently useless at your job but still be kept around but then I suppose the same is true of Boris Johnson.

I often think you just have to look at the family and upbringing of advisors, rich and who you know. They are in circles which are enough to get a leg up. As for others, ideological useful boot lickers and private sector influence.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
She came along long after the change from left to right, the others like Claire Fox were always at war with other groups on the left and their focus on complete free speech and hatred of the imperial western state took them down the path sort of naturally. there's a shit load of cash to be made as well.

yeh that switch from extreme left to extreme right is what I am struggling to understand, how it happened and why they all seemingly as a group decided to go along with it. I guess those sweet sweet Koch bucks help.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I often think you just have to look at the family and upbringing of advisors, rich and who you know. They are in circles which are enough to get a leg up. As for others, ideological useful boot lickers and private sector influence.
Advisors are basically just the friends or the friend of a friend of a politician given an official position and paid for it.

It's the long and short of it. Anyone that said politician gives their ear to. Sometimes they'll have some tangible worthwhile experience in the role, many times not.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

She's from Oldham, which ain't no rich area, let me tell you but I've got no idea if her family are well of or not. I think it's dangerous to presume that only people from comfortable backgrounds can fall into this thinking.

Obviously Dominic Cummings has proven himself to be pretty well off but his powers seem to be based entirely off having read a couple of scientific papers and an ability to remember the abstract.