• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Well he was friends with Diane Abbot for a start

Apparently he is just as racist as Farage too. And don't even get me started about his time as the leader of the IRA and Hamas

Can confirm, I'm a recently joined member of Sinn Fein and it turns out that our true historical leader was Corbyn at some stage.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It's amazing how Diane Abbot is being brought up in a thread about Boris fucking Johnson being made PM, especially when the person in Abbot's Ministerial position is Priti Patel, someone who appears to be both an actual psychopath and a total moron

What the fuck am I reading

The fucking HILARIOUS thing is that of Corbyn has to do a deal with the devil after a GE has happened, the devil will either be LibDems or snp.

So either the devil for that poster is the lib Dems, who would share most of Thier political beliefs. Or the SNP, who is a cente left party. Who would likely also share a good deal of the political beliefs they hold, certainly more the lefty labour.

Like, what the fuck lol.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
What has Corbyn done in opposition that is worse than austerity, Grenfell and Windrush?
I'll wait.

The answer to your question is obviously nothing, but to play Devil's Advocate for a second: an opposition leader that continues on when it's fairly clear (from polling etc) that they will struggle to get a mandate because they're divisive could arguably be said to be in part responsible for what an incumbent government is getting away with.

Like, the Tories aren't just a disgrace in terms of what they've been doing to the country for the past ten years, but they're also a shambolic mess now that probably any Labour leader post-Kinnock would've been able to exploit. For whatever reason, Corbyn's Labour has been just as much a mess, however, disunited, embroiled in in-fighting and scandalous chaos of the kind usually reserved for the regicide-obsessed Tories. The great shame is that a more united Labour probably could've topped May's government and slammed the brakes on all of this madness, and in the sense of social progressiveness in the UK this is probably the greatest setback of all. By rights the Tory government should've been toppled under May and we should've been heading to another ten years of Labour, or Lab/LD/SNP coalition.

The missed opportunity is absolutely a fair reason to criticise Corbyn, as whatever the reasons people won't unite behind him, the buck stops with the leader in the end. It was exciting to see somebody so staunchly, properly left take up the Labour leadership, but years in now I can say I would've rather had another Blairite, another diet Tory, rather than a Tory party so emboldened and unchecked that they've gone as off the rails mad as they have. The only reason the Tory party is so nuts now is because elements within it feel emboldened that there will be no electoral consequence because they're that confident Labour can't hurt them (indeed, their real fear is Farage). This has emboldened specific people, too - Rees-Mogg has spent his entire career blowing up metaphorical bombs inside his own party's chambers, but he only started to build them large enough to begin having an impact on the outside once they felt bold and confident about their position vs the opposition.

But in real terms, obviously, it's hyperbolic BS to say Corbyn has done anything remotely as bad as May. But it's possible to be angry with the government for what they've done and with the opposition for failing to be a better, well, opposition. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
One parliamentary session and I'm already sick of Boris and his absolute lies and lack of shame about his lies. Trump 2.0 indeed. Fuck this noise.

OK, now I think it's time to accelerate Scottish independence plans. Hell if there's the election coming that many pundits believe there will need to be then the SNP should make it an absolute de-facto vote on independence. If they win a majority of Scottish seats then the deed is done and we leave ASAP and make contacts with the EU to make our transition from EU member within the UK to EU member as an independent nation as swift and painless as possible.

There's nothing actually stopping us and international law would agree with our position. We were a willing member going into this UNION, and we can leave whenever the democratic will of the people to do so is absolute, so basing it on a general election is just as valid as a referendum, and no one can say the SNP haven't always been for Scottish independence.

There won't be a Scottish parliament at the current rate with these absolute right wing maniacs at the helm now. Our parliament is now directly threatened by these fucks, we can't give them the time to enact their coup.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's not an act, he may have a degree of smarts inherent to his privilege but, imo, he plays it up to cover up the fact he truly is one.

Any sustained speech and you'll see it. The man is a clown.
Sadly anyone who has had to work with the man will tell you that he's not as smart as he thinks he is... and very much not into details.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about Corbyn is shambolic until he overperforms and then it turns to how he should have done better because the opposition was shambolic. A more united Labour would do better, any Labour leader will do better than the mess that is Corbyn. Yet Corbyn is most successful Labour leader since Blair.

And this is not new. This is exactly the same talk I saw on here 2 years ago. Literally called an idiot and a cretin for supporting Corbyn and delusional for suggesting Corbyn could upset May.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Fuckety fuck at that cabinet, the utter moron is destroying countries like he doesnt care.

General election needed and some serious media political reversals , but that wont happen

UK is fucked

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You know your act of being a "sensible moderate" doesn't work very well when you keep letting the mask slip?

he was doing so well too!

You're a grade A sack of manure and your posts are manure too.

You're clearly inferring their abuse is warranted so I'll say this: wise the fuck up and if you're gonna be racist at least have the fortitude to be who you are, coward. That way we can ignore you twice.

Like I said time after time again: Racist people are never smart. They usually slip up & make themselves their own worst enemy, then try to play the victim role whenever they get caught or called out for it (or deflect the blame to other people to make it seem like it isn't their fault).

Oct 26, 2017
The answer to your question is obviously nothing, but to play Devil's Advocate for a second: an opposition leader that continues on when it's fairly clear (from polling etc) that they will struggle to get a mandate because they're divisive could arguably be said to be in part responsible for what an incumbent government is getting away with.

Like, the Tories aren't just a disgrace in terms of what they've been doing to the country for the past ten years, but they're also a shambolic mess now that probably any Labour leader post-Kinnock would've been able to exploit. For whatever reason, Corbyn's Labour has been just as much a mess, however, disunited, embroiled in in-fighting and scandalous chaos of the kind usually reserved for the regicide-obsessed Tories. The great shame is that a more united Labour probably could've topped May's government and slammed the brakes on all of this madness, and in the sense of social progressiveness in the UK this is probably the greatest setback of all. By rights the Tory government should've been toppled under May and we should've been heading to another ten years of Labour, or Lab/LD/SNP coalition.

The missed opportunity is absolutely a fair reason to criticise Corbyn, as whatever the reasons people won't unite behind him, the buck stops with the leader in the end. It was exciting to see somebody so staunchly, properly left take up the Labour leadership, but years in now I can say I would've rather had another Blairite, another diet Tory, rather than a Tory party so emboldened and unchecked that they've gone as off the rails mad as they have. The only reason the Tory party is so nuts now is because elements within it feel emboldened that there will be no electoral consequence because they're that confident Labour can't hurt them (indeed, their real fear is Farage). This has emboldened specific people, too - Rees-Mogg has spent his entire career blowing up metaphorical bombs inside his own party's chambers, but he only started to build them large enough to begin having an impact on the outside once they felt bold and confident about their position vs the opposition.

But in real terms, obviously, it's hyperbolic BS to say Corbyn has done anything remotely as bad as May. But it's possible to be angry with the government for what they've done and with the opposition for failing to be a better, well, opposition. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure why you decided to play Devil's Advocate to that statement, but okay. Corbyn has had the knives out for him in the right of the Labour party since he was voted in, this isn't new. Trying to position his opposition as useless when he caused May to have the most parliamentary defeats ever is also kinda strange. I absolutely do not agree that a Blairite or Tory-lite would have been better. The ONLY reason we're in this shit is because of austerity, and having an opposition that constantly criticises the callous program is absolutely necessary, otherwise many people would still assume it was the result of some outside force, rather than the tories in government.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
People who earn 80k a year will be paying 45% and those on 125k 50%. That is just the income tax gains. Then you have inheritance tax and capital gains etc. It is deliberately targeting the top 10% who own nearly 50% of the country's wealth.
Has a higher rate earner I'm actually disgusted at Boris's plan to make us pay less.

But then I'm not a fucking cunt...

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has a higher rate earner I'm actually disgusted at Boris's plan to make us pay less.

But then I'm not a fucking cunt...

I'm not a high earner, but is there any way to work out how much extra it would cost you? I'm presuming it means you are only taxed at the 45% rate on everything you earn over the 80k and everything under is taxed the same as it is now?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a high earner, but is there any way to work out how much extra it would cost you? I'm presuming it means you are only taxed at the 45% rate on everything you earn over the 80k and everything under is taxed the same as it is now?
Correct in theory about how it works for pay that crosses a bracket, not sure on the exact numbers as they are though.

Last edited:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
aye, also keep in mind if you earn over 100k you begin to lose your tax-free amount (by £2 for every £1 over 100k).

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

Basically, if you earn up to £12,500, you pay no income tax. If you earn up to £50,000, you pay 20% tax on everything between 12.5k and 50k. If you then earn over 50k, you pay 40% tax on everything you earn between 50k and 150k. Anything you earn over 50k you pay 45% tax on.

Boris wants to shift the 40% bracket to be higher, so people don't start paying 40% until later - until 80k, which is a whole lot.

In real terms, the 'Boris cut' as proposed will save you 2 grand in tax for every 10 grand you earn over 50k. If you earn 80k or more, you'll save 6k in tax a year. It seems to be a cowardly cut to make, imo, very cynical, but here we are.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
aye, also keep in mind if you earn over 100k you begin to lose your tax-free amount (by £2 for every £1 over 100k).

Correct, when you get to 100k that becomes really punishing.

So if you earn 105,000 that extra 5k is effectively all tax. Lots of people stick below 99k for this reason, and put the rest in a pension (which will be taxed when you remove it)

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Basically, if you earn up to £12,500, you pay no income tax. If you earn up to £50,000, you pay 20% tax on everything between 12.5k and 50k. If you then earn over 50k, you pay 40% tax on everything you earn between 50k and 150k. Anything you earn over 50k you pay 45% tax on.

Boris wants to shift the 40% bracket to be higher, so people don't start paying 40% until later - until 80k, which is a whole lot.

In real terms, the 'Boris cut' as proposed will save you 2 grand in tax for every 10 grand you earn over 50k. If you earn 80k or more, you'll save 6k in tax a year. It seems to be a cowardly cut to make, imo, very cynical, but here we are.
It's a direct pitch to the middle class waiverers who "could never support bor.... Oh a tax cut, that Boris isn't so bad, sure food banks is one of the growth industries but that's just the lazy chavs"

Oct 25, 2017
There's also his plan to slash corporation tax, which I'm not sure if it's designed to appeal to small or big business types.

I think that this is a pretty good analysis of the status of the Labour side of things (it's a thread)|.

Yeah, fire from Labour would help, while being reactive is part of being in opposition, it doesn't do much to raise profile. If Boris is gonna be doing a tour over recess, Corbyn definitely needs to do the same.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

UK's a disgrace, but don't pretend if there's another leader of the Labour Party British people would suddenly vote to improve the situation. You don't get 10 years of Margaret Thatcher in a country that's only waiting for a charismatic leader to vote in favour of helping poor and struggling people in the UK.

This shit, or the willingness to accept this shit, is ingrained into the British psyche, they love it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is quite funny.....for Brexiters. It's almost like immigration was bait for voters to vote Brexit and vote them in. Shocked.

The new government has abandoned the target of getting annual net migration below 100,000. This was set as a goal by David Cameron, and maintained by Theresa May, but their governments never came close to meeting it.

After Boris Johnson's statement to MPs, the prime minister's spokesman, when asked about the 100,000, target, said Johnson was not interested in a "numbers game". The spokesman said:

His view is that we need to introduce an Australian points-based system that allows us to take back control of our borders
He is determined to deliver it, which is why he has commissioned Mac (the Migration Advisory Committee) to carry out the work to get that system.
He said in the campaign he wasn't interested in a numbers game

What's wrong with our UK system, oh that's right he just forgot it exists and just spewing same old lines that haters love.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Yeah if one person is earning over 100,000 then the extra 5,000 wouldn't even really be noticed even if wasn't taxed. What a JRM type of comment by that guy

Even then, if you are losing your tax free amount, you are still just paying an extra percentage on income, which by its nature means you are still increasing your net income.

But yes, your point is also true. Anyone earning more than 100k and describing anything about their income as "punishing" has their head firmly wedged up their arse

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
If I go on salary calculator someone on 100k takes home 5544.65 a month.

Someone on 105k will take home 5702.99 a month.

That's an net increase of 1900 take home pay over the year.

FYI the reduction is 50p per £1 over 100k

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soooooooo....what now?

EU Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker has told Britain's new prime minister, Boris Johnson, that the bloc's member nations will not give in to his demand to renegotiate the Brexit withdrawal treaty.
Juncker called the existing deal "the best and only agreement possible."
Juncker and Johnson had their first phone conversation late Thursday since Johnson took over from Theresa May as Britain's leader.
Johnson has insisted that the current agreement to leave the EU and arrangements regarding the Irish border were not good enough and had to be renegotiated.
An EU official with knowledge of the exchange said that despite Juncker's refusal to reopen the legal 585-page legal agreement, Juncker said he "remains at the disposal of the United Kingdom to add language" to a political text on future relations and "to analyze any ideas put forward by the United Kingdom, providing they are compatible with the withdrawal agreement."

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Boris actually wants no deal, it's just a lot of bluster. Like Trump, when push comes to shove Boris is a coward. But unlike Trump, Boris is actually quite intelligent (the bumbling man thing is absolutely an act), and he knows no deal would mean his personal legacy would, in the long term, be dirt. He doesn't want that, I don't think. He only cares about himself, after all.
How has he cared about his personal legacy in any of the jobs he's held?

It's a legacy of shit, with increasingly shitter consequences as he's failed upwards. I certainly agree he isn't stupid, but he is really lazy.

Oct 27, 2017

So if you earn 105,000 that extra 5k is effectively all tax. Lots of people stick below 99k for this reason, and put the rest in a pension (which will be taxed when you remove it)
This reminds me of the gaf poster that didn't understand progressive taxation and claimed that his in-laws took pay cuts to $250,000 because they took home more than at $400k

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

l595b080gafz.jpg

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
The people putting in earnings over £99k into their pension understand progressive taxation. Someone earning £105k annually has a choice - they can either put £5,000 into their pension and withdraw it when they retire at a lower tax band or they can get an additional £1,900 post tax pay in their salary. The smart choice is to put the money into their pension - which is what they're doing and is what Limerobot was talking about.

The effective tax rate over £100,000 is huge (60% if you earn between £100,000 and £121,200 - the highest effective tax rate in Europe) and it makes financial sense to put earnings above that threshold into a pension.

Last edited:

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
There's also his plan to slash corporation tax, which I'm not sure if it's designed to appeal to small or big business types.

Yeah, fire from Labour would help, while being reactive is part of being in opposition, it doesn't do much to raise profile. If Boris is gonna be doing a tour over recess, Corbyn definitely needs to do the same.

Corbyn is great on tour. He's often out and about. But we know he'll get next to no coverage compared to Boris.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The people putting in earnings over £99k into their pension understand progressive taxation. Someone earning £105k annually has a choice - they can either put £5,000 into their pension and withdraw it when they retire at a lower tax band or they can get an additional £1,900 post tax pay in their salary. The smart choice is to put the money into their pension - which is what they're doing and is what Limerobot was talking about.

The effective tax rate over £100,000 is huge (60% if you earn between £100,000 and £121,200 - the highest effective tax rate in Europe) and it makes financial sense to put earnings above that threshold into a pension.

Putting up to 40k of your earnings into a pension is a smart move if you earn that much money however Limerobot said the extra 5k "is effectively all tax" when it isn't plus his statement that people earning over 100k are punished when actually they still have an amazing monthly income and have the option to put that much money into a pension for a comfy retirement.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I know jackshit about the UK's fiscal intricacies, but I'm going to guess that it's a civilised country despite recent events and it uses sensible progressive taxation, which makes your statement kind of out there.