• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Labour's Peter Kyle asks what legal changes Johnson wants to introduce to enhance workers' rights that would not be allowed if the UK remained in the EU?

Johnson says that is for the Commons to decide.

Nothing Is Impossible For The Man Who Doesn't Have To Do It Himself

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
I hope you realise there's a difference between somewhere being an 'echo chamber' and someone correctly mocking the idea that Corbyn is a 'nut job.'

More people on Era are left that right, that's absolutely true but it's not like right wing people don't exist and, to be honest, when people go on about this 'echo chamber' malarky I don't quite understand what they'd like. All your replying to is the idea that someone thinks that saying Corbyn is a 'nut job' is a stupid thing to say.

Someone didn't start discussing Conservative policy and get shouted down, they didn't say anything sensible and just get dismissed.

Corbyn isnt a nut job, but i do believe he would be terribly damaging for the UK if prime minister.

More so that the current shambles too.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Neither party would 'win' a general election.

Another GE will cause the minority to be even shorter on both sides as a result of parties fracturing even more over remain/leave.

UK Politics is fucked for at least a generation.

And it's all Thanks to David Cameron. Well done.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Neither party would 'win' a general election.

Another GE will cause the minority to be even shorter on both sides as a result of parties fracturing even more over remain/leave.

UK Politics is fucked for at least a generation.

And it's all Thanks to David Cameron. Well done.

Neither party winning would be a good result. We might get some consensus and coalition government then. It is needed. Both sides need to be tamed in my view. The Tories are infinitely worse but doesn't mean Labour are where you'd want them to be. A Labour Lib Dem coalition could be a good thing - but would need serious concessions on both sides.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Neither party winning would be a good result. We might get some consensus and coalition government then. It is needed. Both sides need to be tamed in my view. The Tories are infinitely worse but doesn't mean Labour are where you'd want them to be. A Labour Lib Dem coalition could be a good thing - but would need serious concessions on both sides.

Considering the way the last Coalition went, I doubt it would be good.

I also have doubts that a Coalition would be doable with two parties. I see things being fractured enough that you'd need a coalition between several parties.

I also don't see any parties wanting a Coalition with each other. They would rather have a small minority gov that can't get anything through parliament than work together.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
(Far) left or right; for me, those two are on the same side of the coin. I'm a centrist and I think Corbyn would become a Russian puppet just like Farage would become an American one (and a Russian one, too). UK really is stucked between a rock and a hard place with those two being the only realistic opponents for Boris.

Let's not forget that the very only reason Corbyn suddenly thinking about supporting another referendum is that he believes it will raise his chances. Down in his core, he's a leaver just like Farage, he's a racist just like Farage, and he'll make a deal with the devil to become PM, just like Farage.

So, sorry for hurting anyone' feelings when I say that the leader of Labour Party is a nut job. Please do not confuse this with my perception of that party as a whole.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
(Far) left or right; for me, those two are on the same side of the coin. I'm a centrist and I think Corbyn would become a Russian puppet just like Farage would become an American one (and a Russian one, too). UK really is stucked between a rock and a hard place with those two being the only realistic opponents for Boris.

Let's not forget that the very only reason Corbyn suddenly thinking about supporting another referendum is that he believes it will raise his chances. Down in his core, he's a leaver just like Farage, he's a racist just like Farage, and he'll make a deal with the devil to become PM, just like Farage.

So, sorry for hurting anyone' feelings when I say that the leader of Labour Party is a nut job. Please do not confuse this with my perception of that party as a whole.
Corybn is a racist like Farage?

Oh, please don't worry. This isn't hurting feelings, it's entertainment.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Hard right government > pact with TBP not to stand > remain vote split by Lib Dem surge & Labour dissembling

Snap election called...

We are fucked. He doesn't even need close to 50% of the vote. If he neutralises TBP, he'll walk an election because the remain vote will be split, he'll claim public support for no deal and he'll have the numbers to control the house.

We've been done. This is the endgame now and remain has been utterly outmanoeuvred. Nicely done too.

Shit.

Lol what the fuck???? The remain forced have ALREADY defeated the government back earlier this year and brexit had to be moved 6 months. ALREADY labour, with explicit and full backing from corbyns office voted for a second ref, and a deal, Common market 2.0, before they went remain with the recent policy change. If not for this support, then we would REALLY be in the shit now. But no, despite the internal struggles, remain pa

The likes of lib Dems, greens and the remain force in labour won elections, local ones this year and the better then expected result in the EU elections. Remainer forces in labour have SUCCESSIVELY pushed the party and leadership to embrace a remain position and a second ref one, it HAS been slow going, but continually the leadership, AND CORBYN, have moved towards sanity and the better option each time. BoJo will force them to be a full bore remain party, but one that will have to get a deal to put it up against remain.

Look, I get the despair, but this was always going to be the end game, ever since the gov, and every other party in parliament, was happy to kick the can down the line as much as possible.

I'm sorry but we are not close to being done, this shit will go down to the wire, with a British public that is evermore remain, and a minority that actually wants no deal. I don't trust election polls as far as I can throw them, but there HAS been a significant shift in public opinion in the past year. As the old brexiters die off, due to the cons austerity agenda, more young people are choosing remain.

Remember, only 5 mil or so voted for BXP in the EU elections, remainer parties had overall more votes. Despite the bxp hype, lid dems and greens exceeded expectations and the BXP could NOT translate that supposed momentum into winning a by election in a heavy leave area. In fact lab increased the majority by 10%. The BXP also sound downbeat on the upcoming by election in Wales, another leave voting area.

On top of this, there won't be a pact between farage and Johnson, one thier respective egos are too damn big, but secondly one of the BXP aims is to replace the Tories wholesale, not work with them, they want to defeat them and take the place of the hard right wing party in the UK. Nothing less. Faages overtures towards Tories is the usual bullshit he spouts. Expect and almighty battle between them in the GE. A weak Tory party is better for BXP then to partner with them. They know this.

Not sure what you think staffing the cabinet with dyed in the wool leavers, who will either eat each alive or be so closed off from the outside world that they will make all the mistakes in the world when it comes to a GE, is smart. This is a bunch of yes people to Johnson.

Also, gaffe by Boris calling fucking Corbyn a remainer, yes do this more so they get an even bigger polling lead. Fucking idiot. This is a shit shower already.

All this shit he is promising will not happen, his own cabinet will see to that. This is just may part Deux.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Even if I agree with what Corbyn is broadly supposed to stand for (reducing inequality, more money for public services, nationalisation over privatisation), I worry that his 'image' is too tarnished to actually win a general election.

Rightly or wrongly (I think he has been deservedly critcised by some and unfairly criticised by others), his brand is an issue right now.

I don't care if he becomes PM or not, but I do want an actually socially conscious, genuinely left-of-centre government whoever it is who leads it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Even if I agree with what Corbyn is broadly supposed to stand for (reducing inequality, more money for public services, nationalisation over privatisation), I worry that his 'image' is too tarnished to actually win a general election.

Rightly or wrongly (I think he has been deservedly critcised by some and unfairly criticised by others), his brand is an issue right now.

I don't care if he becomes PM or not, but I do want an actually socially conscious, genuinely left-of-centre government whoever it is who leads it.
And get ready for the same smear jobs to be run on them.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
This thread/ forum is mostly an echo chamber for the left, much to its detriment.

After the tory shambles Labour are still not going to win the next election - that should tell you everything you need to know about the Corbyn and Abbott leadership.

This is why there will be no vonc by him.

It's amazing how Diane Abbot is being brought up in a thread about Boris fucking Johnson being made PM, especially when the person in Abbot's Ministerial position is Priti Patel, someone who appears to be both an actual psychopath and a total moron

What the fuck am I reading

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible for Corbyn to fuck up more than the Tory Cunts have done the last 9 years.

He hasn't destroyed the Union and wiped his arse on International peace treaties.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Corbyn isnt a nut job, but i do believe he would be terribly damaging for the UK if prime minister.

Lmao the takes in this thread are amazing. Feelings aren't hurt, this is just hilarious to read because it is so emblematic of how grossly misinformed and self-deluding the 'centrist' position is.

Enjoy continued austerity, booming inequality, NHS privatization, ecological collapse, and a wholesale shift to the far right with this kind of awfully silly thinking.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, while I can think of a lot of talking points used against him that are completely ridiculous, there are things about Jeremy Corbyn that have been dismissed as cynical media smears that I genuinely think are legitimate problems that he should answer for.
Which is all irrelevant because all it takes is "Commie Corbyn" and the regulars are frothing.

Lmao the takes in this thread are amazing. Feelings aren't hurt, this is just hilarious to read because it is so emblematic of how grossly misinformed and self-deluding the 'centrist' position is.

Enjoy continued austerity, booming inequality, NHS privatization, ecological collapse, and a wholesale shift to the far right with this kind of awfully silly thinking.
Bingo.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
This is exactly what Boris wants though. He wants a no-deal brexit and that would give him exactly that.

I don't think Boris actually wants no deal, it's just a lot of bluster. Like Trump, when push comes to shove Boris is a coward. But unlike Trump, Boris is actually quite intelligent (the bumbling man thing is absolutely an act), and he knows no deal would mean his personal legacy would, in the long term, be dirt. He doesn't want that, I don't think. He only cares about himself, after all.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

It could force the conservatives into a coalition with Farage, the absolute worst of all worlds

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Considering the way the last Coalition went, I doubt it would be good.

I also have doubts that a Coalition would be doable with two parties. I see things being fractured enough that you'd need a coalition between several parties.

I also don't see any parties wanting a Coalition with each other. They would rather have a small minority gov that can't get anything through parliament than work together.

I mean our system is so partisan that coalition is difficult. I'm hoping that something could be done to prevent a hard Brexit if necessary.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The UK is on the verge of having its entire place in the world permanently destroyed on top of years of Tory mismanagement that has caused spiraling inequality and quality of life generally getting much worse, and that's before we even get to the NHS, but no, the guy who wants to own some trains is definitely somehow worse.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Boris actually wants no deal, it's just a lot of bluster. Like Trump, when push comes to shove Boris is a coward. But unlike Trump, Boris is actually quite intelligent (the bumbling man thing is absolutely an act), and he knows no deal would mean his personal legacy would, in the long term, be dirt. He doesn't want that, I don't think. He only cares about himself, after all.
It's not an act, he may have a degree of smarts inherent to his privilege but, imo, he plays it up to cover up the fact he truly is one.

Any sustained speech and you'll see it. The man is a clown.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It could force the conservatives into a coalition with Farage, the absolute worst of all worlds

That is one theory - I'd argue that were the Brexit party large enough in parliament to form a meaningful coalition it would mean Labour would be the largest party...just my view. Brexit party doing well would mean Brexit delayed again.

The danger is Boris calling an election pre Brexit to push for a no deal mandate and Farage teaming up to support his campaign that would be a problem.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I don't know. If anything he will want to be seen as the hero that got us out of the EU and made a success of it (smart people can still be delusional). All of his bluster today sounded like the start of an early election campaign and he'll cosy up with Farage and the Brexit Party to get a 'mandate' to do whatever the hell he wants.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

You're overestimating Johnson's intelligence and underestimating his cynical desire for power

He would be fine with the UK being turned to ash, as long as he is in power

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand this will be a shitshow for centuries to come but on the other the morbid curiosity inside of me kinda wonders just how far these clowns will go.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
You're overestimating Johnson's intelligence and underestimating his cynical desire for power

He would be fine with the UK being turned to ash, as long as he is in power

I dunno, I think legacy is absolutely everything to narcissistic people like him. It's why Cameron quit straight away - he knew his legacy was fucked but it'd only be worse if he stayed. It's why May was so devastated; because her legacy is a net zero (and we even got leaks from inside number 10 about her incredibly panicked, negative reaction to the brilliant Private Eye cover when she announced she was going).

You're right that power was all he cared about, but he has that now. He'll want to cling to power for as long as possible, but he also surely knows that in hindsight when he leaves office his legacy will be his power. His legacy will also determine his earning power post-premiership, which is why Blair is so loaded and has fingers in so many pies while the disgraced Cameron and now May will probably have a very low public profile going forwards.

Leaks and reports from his camp have indicated that he knows No Deal is a path to ruin not just of the country, but of the Boris Johnson 'brand', and he cares about that. That's why for a long time Rees-Mogg and the other disgusting lowlives wouldn't support him, because they thought he wouldn't have the bottle. Whatever he said to them to reassure them, but to be honest I don't think he does.

He will brandish No Deal as a threat and hope the EU blinks. If the EU does not blink, he will hope parliament blinks. If Parliament does not blink and stop him, he will bottle it and call a General Election, so then if No Deal has to be forced through he can say it was mandated by a strong Brexit Party position in parliament, absolving himself of a share of the blame. I feel you can mark that.

I don't know. If anything he will want to be seen as the hero that got us out of the EU and made a success of it (smart people can still be delusional). All of his bluster today sounded like the start of an early election campaign and he'll cosy up with Farage and the Brexit Party to get a 'mandate' to do whatever the hell he wants.

Like I say above, I think an election is part of the cynical back-up plan between now and October 31, to be honest. I think he'd rather rush through a lukewarm deal, a slight improvement on May's, of course. But I think either way, we'll have an election announced within 6 months. If we're cruising for a really damaging no deal he will press that as an emergency get out of jail free card. If he manages to get a deal through, he will immediately have a GE before the implications and ramifications of the deal become clear to get a new 5-year mandate on the "he freed us from the shackles of the EU!!" narrative.

Last edited:

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Are you having a stroke?

This is why I, probably mistakenly, think this is an echo chamber for Labour.

I think that, as much of a shambles the current government is, Labout led by Corbyn / Abbott has been worse as an opposition, and would have been worse as a government.

And no, im not "having a stroke". I thought we were above this?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda nuts how the narrative that Labour put us into the shit financially but national debt was way lower, 1 trillion when they left office then than it is now and it only really ballooned under Labour at the end with the financial crisis. SInce then the Tories have put another trillion on it and it's about 85% of GDP. This mob will push that further for their own private ends. Where the hell did that money go?

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Why do you think this is the case? What in Corbyn's career has been comparable to Johnson's run as London Mayor where he'd do things such as throw away around £100,000,000 on vanity projects and utterly fucking up transport?

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
His legacy will also determine his earning power post-premiership, which is why Blair is so loaded and has fingers in so many pies while the disgraced Cameron and now May will probably have a very low public profile going forwards.

Blairs legacy was a complete mess, and a reputation as a warmonger with blood on his hands. In the UK at least, his brand is extremely toxic to this day.

He walked into the official Special Envoy of the "Special Envoy" job, trying to keep peace in the middle east - how ridiculous and absurd.

Oct 26, 2017

I think that, as much of a shambles the current government is, Labout led by Corbyn / Abbott has been worse as an opposition, and would have been worse as a government.

What has Corbyn done in opposition that is worse than austerity, Grenfell and Windrush?
I'll wait.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

In what way?

I get people fear his public ownership ideas and spending, won't fire a nuke, anti war, tax ideas but is that really hell on earth compared to getting shafted by this lot?

I agree he has been absolutely useless on anti semitism, never a leader in a month of Sundays but what makes him and his party so unpalatable in comparison?

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Why do you think this is the case? What in Corbyn's career has been comparable to Johnson's run as London Mayor where he'd do things such as throw away around £100,000,000 on vanity projects and utterly fucking up transport?

That would be chicken feed to the money needed for Corbyns recommended re-nationalisation of some companies/ utilities.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

You ar deluding yourself if you think that left leaning government would do less damage than the fucking idiots who brought your nation to the brink of disaster.