• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Looks and runs great on the PRO with the patch and HD pack!
What FoV setting are people using? I'm on 86 which is a sweet spot for me. 70 is a no go on a 4K 55" TV

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, haven't played this game in years. I reinstalled it last night, touched it a bit and was shocked by the flat textures. This game with physx and smooth fps and the HD textures is amazing. Looks amazing on my ultrawide also

3FAD7273D38ABA3E3F71F1A839CCCE8D264A44BB
Pretty sure the first game doesn't have physx
EDIT: Ah that's the Borderlands 2 ofcourse.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can report on BL2 at least the HD texture pack does not overflow a 3GB 1060's VRAM, sitting around 2.6gb with everything maxxed at 1800p. Performance is the same. Just FYI for those of you with lower end cards.

New HD textures look good:

T34ycN0.jpg

wfchjoY.jpg
Oh wow, holy shit.

Have they just been sitting on all these high-res textures this whole time? How's something like this typically work? They would have had to render all the pre-rendered cutscenes again too. Is it common for devs to keep all these assets?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great on a macro scale as well, I think the improved textures helps even the lower LoD models at distance. These sceles looked quite awful originally but now look quite great.

EiztFQi.jpg
OkakNw6.jpg

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I just realised the 4K Textures were a seperate download from the patch lol

God damn, it looks so good on Xbox One X

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I got the handsome collection for like 10 euros. With this patch it looks super crisp now. And BL2 is super fun!

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow, holy shit.

Have they just been sitting on all these high-res textures this whole time? How's something like this typically work? They would have had to render all the pre-rendered cutscenes again too. Is it common for devs to keep all these assets?

Texture assets are usually authored at a higher resolution

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I kept skipping this collection on 1X because it was not patched. Now its a free trial and back to 49.99. Damn, will wait for another sale.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
To add to this I dont have a pro either

Will it do anything for me for a base ps4 om a 1080p tv?
"4K textures" doesn't mean textures for 4K screens. It just means higher resolution textures and you'll benefit from it regardless of what resolution you play the game at. Plenty of original textures are 512*512 in size, increasing them to 2048*2048 or 4096*4096 would mean you see benefits in texture clarity...even if you play at 1080P.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"4K textures" doesn't mean textures for 4K screens. It just means higher resolution textures and you'll benefit from it regardless of what resolution you play the game at. Plenty of original textures are 512*512 in size, increasing them to 2048*2048 or 4096*4096 would mean you see benefits in texture clarity...even if you play at 1080P.
I guess you would need more RAM for that, despite not being only at 1080p? Does base PS4 have enough for that?

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Oh wow, holy shit.

I believe so. It probably isn't too expensive to keep around all these assets on the cloud or on-premise somewhere.

And yes, typically artists work with high definition files and optimize them (read downgrade them) for targetted hardware.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm debating picking up this game for 15 or the Borderlands GOTY for 30 dollars. What should I do?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
any body got some numbers on how much the changes affect performance? (assuming VRAM is not an issue). Specifically for Borderlands 2.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, BL2 looks so much more sharp now, even at 1080p. It doesn't feel as much like a 7th gen game now, it's a real improvement.
It was always ran good on PC, only Physx maxed out caused big framerate drops.
Well, now it doesn't have those issues with PhysX set to high. Praise be.
I think it specifically just had some problems with modern PCs that they've ironed out.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My Borderlands 2 replay that I started a few weeks ago is looking really nice and sharp. This is one of the those titles where PhysX really improves the immersion factor.

I also had forgotten about the mouse issues on Borderlands 1. Man, it still feels laggy. Hopefully there are some tweaks out there for that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah thats what I thought but it also seems like it isn't even applicable if I don't have a pro?

If so it would just be a waste of 15gb

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does clicking "Download" on the Steam page for the Ultra HD Texture Pack just launch the game?

Edit: Ahh... There it goes, it also added the texture pack to my downloads. Dunno why it would launch the game before downloading it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I remember liking the tone and vault hunters of BL1 a little bit more but I still liked BL2
BL2 has a shitton more content and more interesting skill trees. Even if BL2 was 30 and BL1 was 15 I would recommend BL2. The fact that it's half price and includes the pre sequel really is a no brainer.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
BL2 has a shitton more content and more interesting skill trees. Even if BL2 was 30 and BL1 was 15 I would recommend BL2. The fact that it's half price and includes the pre sequel really is a no brainer.

That's true but I remember hearing the pre sequel was disappointing? Is it pretty good in hindsight?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Why does clicking "Download" on the Steam page for the Ultra HD Texture Pack just launch the game?

Edit: Ahh... There it goes, it also added the texture pack to my downloads. Dunno why it would launch the game before downloading it.

Download links on the store are all steam://run links, which creates the problem you've described as, obviously, you can't actually run DLC, so the command launches the base game instead. What Valve should do is use steam://run for games and steam://install for DLC.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I took a quick comparison shot, if anybody's interested. Didn't have the time to do it in multiple places so picked one place that would maybe show the most obvious differences (especially that really bad texture on the right).

Original
aGcH9U2.jpg

New patch, original textures
HL2yzex.jpg

New patch, new textures
utRNCBe.jpg

They seem to have completely redrawn that awful texture on the right, and the guns look a lot better. Everything else has very subtle differences.

At least is free :)

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
this is wierd. i have been playing BL2 for some weeks now. and i booted it up today before the HD patch. and the game downloaded a 300mb+ patch. and i think the game got a downgrade in the graphics. it looks worse then yesterday. models and fade on textures are shitty now

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you would need more RAM for that, despite not being only at 1080p? Does base PS4 have enough for that?
Yea indeed. But it isn't like PS4 would lack the ram when it comes to this game. The game was made to fit in 512MB of RAM on PS360. Even with increased resolution it won't come anywhere close to using the RAM available on PS4.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's true but I remember hearing the pre sequel was disappointing? Is it pretty good in hindsight?
It's disappointing compared to 2 and has a barebones endgame but it has

- no slag
- cryo element
- lasers
- most interesting skill trees of the series
- a lot of player character specific dialog which makes replays fun because you can see how all 6 characters react to events and dialog differently

It's still worth a playthrough or two

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Well got to Nine Toes: Some 'drops' to 59fps when everything is filled on-screen, otherwise completely flatline at 16.6 ms at 1800p. Hell I'm playing at 3456x1944 (90% of 4k) on my 3GB 1060 now at a solid 60 99% of the time, we'll see how it holds up.

So basically you have to fix the vsync double buffering glitch, other than that it runs extremely well on the PC, you can safely ignore that "2080ti gets 30fps!" video.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018

Yeah I've been unable to download the HD texture pack for a couple of hours, it only just started.
Steams DLC download system is fucking horrible, this is not the first time I've had to wait for an auto-update to trigger before my DLC is installed.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
if i have borderlands 2 stand alone and not from the handsome package, is there still a way to get the texture pack?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, BL2 looks so much more sharp now, even at 1080p. It doesn't feel as much like a 7th gen game now, it's a real improvement.

Well, now it doesn't have those issues with PhysX set to high. Praise be.
I think it specifically just had some problems with modern PCs that they've ironed out.

Wait, they fixed the Physx issue?

Then how in the world did that Candyland video have drops to almost 30fps on a 2080ti?

I'm more confused than ever.

Edit: oh theres a glitch??

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
this is wierd. i have been playing BL2 for some weeks now. and i booted it up today before the HD patch. and the game downloaded a 300mb+ patch. and i think the game got a downgrade in the graphics. it looks worse then yesterday. models and fade on textures are shitty now
The patch resets your graphics options to the lowest, on PC. Unless you're on console, I dunno then.

Wait, they fixed the Physx issue?

Then how in the world did that Candyland video have drops to almost 30fps on a 2080ti?

I'm more confused than ever.

Edit: oh theres a glitch??
I may have spoken a bit soon on performance. There's definitely some improvements, looking out on the town in the Southern Shelf from the graveyard caused dips before, and it doesn't now. But there seems to still be dips during intense firefights, on my GTX 1080 at 1080p.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Wow. Performance pretty poor on the PS4 pro loads of drops from 60fps and screen tearing at times. Looks great, but makes the game worse.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Do you need the collection for this update? Basically asking because I own basically all of BL2 + DLC.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
699D8AD74D2F634EA9DC4E56AC8ECA4AD56E1DE2

Update is nice on term of details. No more blurry simple textures. Don't have time to play much of the game cause im running through Assassins Creed Odyssey, though.