• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i'll download the patch for my Pro, but going to skip getting the texture packs.

yes i'm on a KS8000, but i value my storage space. ;)

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It looks really good on the X1X and no frame drops as far as I can tell. Played about 2 hours so far.
Also FOV slider. THANK YOU!

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
There's Wasburn Refinery which is a noteable hog (was on PS4 as well) when looking in one direction, but with a 1070 and especially without Physx you should have a solid 60fps at 4k. On my 3GB 1060 I play BL2 with everything maxxed - including Physx - at 3200x1800, and get some drops into the 50's when the Physx starts kicking off. With PhysX on medium I'm a locked 60 (again, Washburn Refinery aside).

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize this was getting updated too. I'll have to download it when I get home and check it out.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
I was itching for more Borderlands ever since they announced 3 so this is a perfect excuse to jump back into 2

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
i'll download the patch for my Pro, but going to skip getting the texture packs.

yes i'm on a KS8000, but i value my storage space. ;)

Ok, what's in the patch? Trying to look now but at work on my phone.
It looks really good on the X1X and no frame drops as far as I can tell. Played about 2 hours so far.
Also FOV slider. THANK YOU!
I thought it always had a FOV slider. I have it for both XBO and PS4 (S and Pro) but I thought I saw the slider on one of these consoles before today.

I had a base PS4 too.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Can report on BL2 at least the HD texture pack does not overflow a 3GB 1060's VRAM, sitting around 2.6gb with everything maxxed at 1800p. Performance is the same. Just FYI for those of you with lower end cards.

New HD textures look good:

T34ycN0.jpg

wfchjoY.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why but I just bought The Handsome Collection. Never played any Borderlands except episode one of the Telltale series. Something about 3's trailer really sparked my interest though.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
BTW for Steam users there's some confusion as your Borderlands 1 may have received a name change to Borderlands GOTY - but that is not the remastered version. It's a separate download, so restart Steam and you should also see Borderlands GOTY Enhanced in your library which you have to download separately, that's the remaster.

It's confusing but at least they're letting you keep the original version as well if the new remaster is not your thing.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
BTW for Steam users there's some confusion as your Borderlands 1 may have received a name change to Borderlands GOTY - but that is not the remastered version. It's a separate download, so restart Steam and you should also see Borderlands GOTY Enhanced in your library which you have to download separately, that's the remaster.

It's confusing but at least they're letting you keep the original version as well if the new remaster is not your thing.

Oh, thanks for the heads-up! I just found it after reading this. Downloading.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Man :( wish they out a option for perfomance and quality, i was playing 1080p with 60 fps and its was awsome
Bear in mind that's one video that showed a massive frame rate drop when batting nine-toes, it's possibly a bug. I'm downloading the enhanced version now and I have a 9400F + 3GB 1060 so I'll report back.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy they put this on sale. This will be my first go 'round with BL2/Pre-Sequel.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Appears to be. I'm so used to 30 fps that it made me a bit nauseous at first. And then I discovered the glorious FOV slider.

Edit: Apparently, I never moved all my characters over from the 360 version. All I have is my OP leveled Maya and not all the others. Oh well, she's really the only one I play anyway.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, haven't played this game in years. I reinstalled it last night, touched it a bit and was shocked by the flat textures. This game with physx and smooth fps and the HD textures is amazing. Looks amazing on my ultrawide also

3FAD7273D38ABA3E3F71F1A839CCCE8D264A44BB

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Here're the official notes for the update, if you want to update the OP with them?

The Ultra HD Texture Pack is a free visual upgrade available to both new and existing product owners. On PlayStation 4 Pro, the texture pack will appear as downloadable content on the digital product page for Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. On PC and Xbox One X, players will have the option to download the texture pack for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Borderlands 2 separately.

On consoles, the Ultra HD Texture Pack includes:
  • 4K Ultra HD resolution and HDR for Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro players
  • Remastered 4K environment textures, including geometry and skyboxes
  • Remastered 4K characters and vehicles
  • Updated weapon meshes and textures
  • Re-encoded 4K Cinematics
  • Improved Anti-Aliasing, including improved edge line implementation
    • This includes improved ink line definition and framing/outline around character models
  • Higher Resolution Dynamic Shadows
    • Improved quality and smoothness of shadows, especially during movement
On PC, the Ultra HD Texture Pack includes:
  • Remastered 4K environment textures, including geometry and skyboxes
  • Remastered 4K characters and vehicles
  • Remastered 4K weapon meshes and textures
  • Improved Anti-Aliasing, including improved edge line implementation
    • This includes improved ink line definition and framing/outline around character models
  • Higher Resolution Dynamic Shadows
    • Improved quality and smoothness of shadows, especially during movement
  • Improved Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
    • An improved SSAO method for more realistic ambient lighting
Please note that some of the above visual improvements are automatically enabled when the Texture Pack is installed. There is no need to manually enable them in the in-game Video settings menu.

OP
OP
Vashetti

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Here're the official notes for the update, if you want to update the OP with them?

Thanks, will add them now!

--

After playing around with BL2 on PS4 Pro for a few hours on a 1080p display, I'm really impressed. The game looks much crisper and seems a very smooth 60fps most of the time. I imagine it looks even better on a 4K set.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing BL2 more or less for the first time, and I'm probably missing something, but how do you enable the Ultra HD textures? Playing via Steam, and I see in the DLC section that it's installed but when I go to change the texture setting, it's capped at High.

Oct 27, 2017
I took a quick comparison shot, if anybody's interested. Didn't have the time to do it in multiple places so picked one place that would maybe show the most obvious differences (especially that really bad texture on the right).

Original
aGcH9U2.jpg

New patch, original textures
HL2yzex.jpg

New patch, new textures
utRNCBe.jpg

They seem to have completely redrawn that awful texture on the right, and the guns look a lot better. Everything else has very subtle differences.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone let Bungie know that you can in fact have FOV sliders on console. Great job, Gearbox. 60fps AND FOV options.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017

Weird, I have BL1 GOTY, but I don't have access to the Enhanced version. Telling me I gotta buy it. Even on the steam page; don't have it listed under owned games either in client.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The performance on PC for BL2 actually seems considerably improved. Areas that would cause my framerate to start dipping now stay above 60, even with the new assets. CPU usage across all my cores seems more consistent.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The performance on PC for BL2 actually seems considerably improved. Areas that would cause my framerate to start dipping now stay above 60, even with the new assets. CPU usage across all my cores seems more consistent.

I was quite surprised too, during my quick test it hovered between 100-130fps with G-Sync, everything maxed out, 1080p with PhysX Medium. This is on a 8600k and a GTX 1070.

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
Any PC players with updated Cheat Engine tables for any of the games? I have a fairly old one for Borderlands 2 and some of it works, but some of it doesn't.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Just installed on PS4 Pro and it looks and plays great! I don't see any HDR settings in the menu so I assume it's just on? Can't really see that at the moment.

Also, is this free on XBOX I'm confused by posts here. Like a free week trial or is it a GWG game I keep forever? I'd prefer it there as my Xbox doesn't sound like a jet when it's on lol

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll probably grab Handsome Collection once the Xbox Spring sale rolls around. This is probably the kind of upgrade that gets me to dabble in the game again after putting a combined 400 hours into BL2 and Pre-Sequel.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It was always ran good on PC, only Physx maxed out caused big framerate drops.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So if I dont have a 4k display i shouldnt bother downloading the texture pack for ps4 right?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
PC TRIP REPORT - BORDERLANDS 1 ENHANCED EDITION

(not seeing a PC performance thread yet, apologies if one is created while I'm typing this out but for now I'll stick this here)

Ok, as I guessed from seeing the 'problematic' 2080ti video, vsync is buggered in this game (in several ways ootb unfortunately). But...it's fixable.

My specs:

CPU: 94004 (4.1ghz max boost 6 core)
RAM:16GB DDR4-2600
GPU: 3gb 1060 oclocked + 150 core + 600 mem
Drivers: 419.67
Game Settings: All maxxed, 3200x1800 res

First problem: Vsync in fullscreen mode from the game settings doesn't work. On/off, switching to borderless, back to fullscreen - stays off. Ok, first resolution of course - force it from Nvidia CP, which I did. Problem with that is while the game's setting "smoother 22-62 fps" for framerate is meant to basically be triple buffering, it doesn't work - it's a hard double-buffered, which of course could be a result of me forcing vsync on. So if at any point your framerate drops to 59.9 fps, you get a noticeable skip which otherwise you wouldn't even register with triple buffering.

Ok, so lets try Borderless, which always forces triple buffering. Fine, we have vsync and triple buffering, but frame pacing problems galore. Even just looking out at some areas sees my framerates spike wildly. As well, my GPU was reporting less than 50% usage, with 25% CPU. So this wasn't a problem of resources. This may have not been a problem with borderless specifically and just a result of my switching in and out of modes/options so rapidly, who knows. But I like to avoid borderless when I can regardless as it has a performance impact even with good frame pacing.

So I opted for my usual magic combo for games where I know I am not hardware limited to get a solid 60fps but who's own internal frame pacing is whack: Fast-Sync with Rivatuner's Scanline Sync set to 1. I don't have time to delve into all the details of why this works so well right now, but basically it's a way to get great 60fps frame pacing on games that don't support triple buffering, but also get improved controller response over triple (and usually double) buffering to boot.

ziTrCn7.png

(Remember with Nvidia Inspector you'll have to create a new profile as the .exe is different from Borderlands)

kKIXikd.png

VOILA:

8xAdwKi.jpg

I don't have an old save so we'll see when I get to nine-toes and get some elemental weapons like the video had, maybe that will cause stuttering. All I can say is at the start with my zoomed-in pistol and blowing apart skags, while also zooming into the ground so the particle effects fill the screen, didn't drop below 60fps at 1800p with 85% GPU utilization at the peak. Maybe the occasional hitch to 59fps momentarily, but otherwise a very solid 16.6/16.5 ms line in Rivatuner. I could probably even do 90% of 4K and get 60fps 95% of the time but again, elemental weapon effects usually are a big drain so I'll stick with 1800p probably.

Also, anisotropic filtering is disabled upon each game start. So just FYI set it back to 16X every time you start the game. Obviously a patch of two would help here.

Game looks fantastic btw, this is quite a substantial remaster.