• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
7BO97aA.png

Today 2K reported that Borderlands 3 sold over 5 million copies within five days, becoming the second franchise in 2K history to generate $1 billion in net bookings. What's interesting is that in August 2019, 2K reported that 48 million copies of Borderlands games have been shipped ever since the release of the first game way back in 2009 with 22 million from Borderlands 2 alone. Adding Borderlands 3's 5 million on top of that (which is sure to go up as we near the holiday period) puts it 53 million units. This effectively makes it one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time and it isn't even ten years old yet!

Strauss Zelnick said:
"I think [the sales boost] is a reflection of the fact that the Borderlands IP is stronger than ever, even though it's been eight years since the last release," said Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick to GamesIndustry.biz. "I think there's a whole new generation of consumers who are super excited about Borderlands. That bodes well as we head into the September release. We'll see how it does, but we feel really good."

Other franchises that originated last-gen such as Minecraft, Assassin's Creed and Just Dance have reached similar milestones. I never would have expected popping the original Borderlands' disc into my 360 way back in 2009 that it would become the beast that it is today. That last-minute art style change did wonders to establish the series' identity among samey looking FPS games that release year after year. Throw in some zany, junky humor and you have a recipe for success that resonates with millions around the world, getting into co-op hijinks with friends and family alike. I have some really fond memories of going through Borderlands and Borderlands 2 with my brother back in the day, grinding way into the night getting some cool loot so I'm glad Gearbox hasn't forgotten what made it popular in the first place.

This is a crazy achievement and feels like a little redemption arc for Gearbox, especially after Battleborn was negatively received. Five years in development finally paid off for the folks over at Gearbox Texas and Quebec. Borderlands has a great community and it's nice that Gearbox make it such an integral part of the series. The series near and dear to my heart so I'm glad to see it go strong almost a decade later and seven years after the release of the last mainline title. Here's to another decade of Borderlands, friends.

9e3066e25e163fa809b194bcd209c1f0_tumblr_mlsddcnuZ01s09kyso1_500-780-350-c.gif

S1DBFgD.jpg

Last edited:

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Congrats to all of those devs that worked hard on it. They must be feeling so good right now.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the first time I saw Borderlands and being like "huh? That actually looks pretty interesting." I rented the first game, was surprised over how much I enjoyed it, and quickly went on to enjoy the others.

Definitely up there for my favorite franchises now.

Feb 21, 2019
I still think the series has more to offer, but good on them. Its a game that really hasn't been quite replicated in the FPS space.

Oct 26, 2017
Gearbox is good only with Borderlands.

After releasing two turds like Duken Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines + Battleborn flop, Borderlands is their only saving grace.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's just nothing else like it. 2 is one of the best games ever made, especially with all the dlc.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Particularly in comparison to Just Dance and Assassin's Creed, both of which have many more games in their series, that's damn impressive.

Props to the folks at Gearbox who, aside from Pitchford at least, seem like good people.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I made a (spanish) video about it. The game just have a wide appeal, but it's not as "mainstream" as other franchises. It's a weird mix of accesibility for any player and depth for the "hardcore" ones. And it has a basically infinite gameplay loop that never stops giving as long as you don't want to stop playing.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still don't see 53 million (which is a LOT), being in the same category as AC's, Minecraft's or GTA's 100+ million units, but still impressive nonetheless.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands somehow managed to break the casual/hardcore players dichotomy, I keep getting surprised by people around me that really into the series and i could have never imagined knowing their taste .

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Didn't realize that many people liked Borderlands

"I didn't realize people liked games outside of Bloodborne" - a good chunk of Era posters

There's just nothing else like it. 2 is one of the best games ever made, especially with all the dlc.

It's FPS Diablo. It's hard to match that formula, especially given how they nail itemization, builds, customization, etc. The gameplay improvements to 3 are huge. Improved gunplay, sliding, mantling, a fov slider, etc., are all terrific additions. Excited to see what they do with the DLC, especially if they decide to get weird like the D&D expansion in Borderlands 2.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Borderlands 2 is great.
One day I will play Presequel and 3.
Meanwhile, cheers to the team.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's a lot for sure, but when you look at the list of best selling video game franchises it's not very far up.
It beats out the likes of Elder Scrolls, Mortal Kombat, Fallout, Street Fighter and Diablo though and is in the same league as franchises like Smash, Metal Gear and Crash. These have existed for decades while Borderlands isn't even ten years old yet. It's an insane achievement for a studio that prior to it only produced middling games like Brothers in Arms.

Jan 2, 2018
It beats out the likes of Elder Scrolls, Mortal Kombat, Fallout, Street Fighter and Diablo though. These have existed for decades while Borderlands isn't even ten years old yet. It's an insane achievement for a studio that prior to it only produced middling games like Brothers in Arms.

Of course it's remarkable, but by the title it sounded more like it reached at least the top 20.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's an insane achievement considering the low number of games and being a relatively new franchise in the grand scheme of things.

I'm still baffled at the entire Battleborn period for Gearbox (and I probably liked that game more than most).

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
" Other franchises that originated last-gen such as Minecraft, Assassin's Creed and Just Dance have reached similar milestones."

Not to be that person but can we get some hard numbers here for comparisons?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It was long overdue, they missed out on so much letting other games fill the void. Now, what's next? I wish normal multiplayer rpg (not MMORPG) type games were this popular. Watching people play WOW made me crave loot grinding, the best option for me was Path of Exile (ARPG).

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to the team. Just started a new game on Siren so I can finish my first playthrough with my friend w/o having to further the story.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Love this franchise so much. Every entry (and especially Tales) has been fantastic, and there's so much potential for great storytelling in that universe.

Bring on BL4 lol!

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
From franchises that originated last gen? Yeah.
I mean congrats and it's very impressive, but that's like saying "Spider-Man joins Minecraft as one of the best selling games of all time" (Both games topping 10 million).

It just seems a strange and unnecessary way of making it look better than it is, when it doesn't need that level of spinning to be impressive at all. 50+ mil in the last ten years is impressive in its own right.

Oct 25, 2017
It deserves all that and more. Definitely one of my all-time favorite IPs. BL3 has me hooked again and it looks like the support over the next year(and hopefully longer) will be tremendous.I

Contrats. I just wish the gunplay was a little better, also options to customize the hud

Gunplay is vastly improved over previous games. It's not Bungie level, but when you combine it with the deep skills trees the combat is extremely satisfying and diverse. And I love the gore. Glad they brought that back.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the franchise has still the same spot in the "best selling video game franchises" it already had prior to the BL3 release?

Edit: nevermind, it's a top 40 now