• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is that free update for the Steam version as well? Wondering if they fixed the broken Physx support (or better yet removed it completely).

The PhysX effects worked fine (and could be turned off if you wanted). They were a big hit to performance, sure, but that's the nature of the beast with Nvidia extensions.

The real problem with Borderlands 2 is that it's a CPU destroyer in certain areas. If they could optimise that, it would be a big deal.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
This is the only Borderlands game that has ever worked for me so I'd happily buy it on a new platform. I'd prefer it on Switch though :(
Still, maybe the trophy list will be appealing enough. I played it on PC back then but platinuming it could be fun.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
But I already have a physical copy of Borderlands GOTY on PC ....

713ODN4yV6L._SY445_.jpg

just put in Steam. Then get the update for free.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because its still the best borderlands game and the only one with a post game worth a damn. I just played it yesterday in fact and will play more today when i get home

It also has some awesome elemental deaths which they toned down in 2 which really fuckin annoyed me. Such as when using shock their head would turn to a skull and then explode.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Having only played 2 and TPS, is 1 worth playing? Might pick it up for the free upgrade

It is unless the only thing you enjoyed from the games were the meme overuse

The originals are lacking some of the QoL additions from later games (like minimap. quick picking up stuff by running etcetera) but its still very satisfatory and in many senses better than TPS and BL2 specially in how the scaling makes weapon more viable to use for more than ten minutes (and weapons in overall feel and are so much better - without you needing to farm the same five bosses to get the same five equips every fucking BL2 run devolves into)

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
It is unless the only thing you enjoyed from the games were the meme overuse

Cheers, I'll definitely pick up the original from the wingamestore quickly. I'm planning on doing a replay of the series anyway to get a refresh of the story since I played both 2 and TPS on their launches, then dive into Tales from the Borderlands, which sadly I haven't played yet but will definitely catch up before 3.

I forgot all about 2's humour, especially Tiny Tina, arg.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
TPS problem was being too short, too same-y looking. Game plays amazingly and the vault hunters are varied and fun - there just isnt enough stuff to use them on.

Also yeah one entire tree for Aurelia being wasted without another player is bull

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
This better have an FoV slider on consoles, Handsome Collection had one patched in after launch and I wouldn't want to play without it.

Was this announced on the stream? Haven't seen much mention of this
it was mentioned on the stream yes. there's even a trailer for the UHD update on youtube.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Why anyone would want to play borderlands 1 in 2019 is a mystery to me

lol wut?

It's a great game, and still the best in the series. One of the better games from last gen.

TPS problem was being too short, too same-y looking. Game plays amazingly and the vault hunters are varied and fun - there just isnt enough stuff to use them on.

Also yeah one entire tree for Aurelia being wasted without another player is bull

I'm not sure if you're replying to me, but I found that the game jumped ahead of me once I got near the end. The enemies all of a sudden were 3 or 4 levels ahead of me, even though I'd taken my time and done lots of side quests.

The end game was a huge pain in the ass because of it, and I had to find randoms to help me at points. But they dropped out partway through the final boss, if I remember correctly.

The game got cheap around the jet boss

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if you're replying to me, but I found that the game jumped ahead of me once I got near the end. The enemies all of a sudden were 3 or 4 levels ahead of me, even though I'd taken my time and done lots of side quests.

The end game was a huge pain in the ass because of it, and I had to find randoms to help me at points. But they dropped out partway through the final boss, if I remember correctly.

The game got cheap around the jet boss

kinda was. yeah as soon as you go to the tycho ribs area the game gets a lot "harder" per se and the sentinel if you dont know what youre doing can be soooo annoying

i still found THVM/UHVM a far more bearable experience than doing UVHM and OP levels in BL2. Ugh fuck that shit forever

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
kinda was. yeah as soon as you go to the tycho ribs area the game gets a lot "harder" per se and the sentinel if you dont know what youre doing can be soooo annoying

i still found THVM/UHVM a far more bearable experience than doing UVHM and OP levels in BL2. Ugh fuck that shit forever

This was when it came out. I hope it's been patched and addressed, for when I eventually play through it a second time with the collection.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
weird that it's releasing on a Wednesday though. I'm excited to platinum it again. hope they made it so you auto pick up money.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
The PhysX effects worked fine (and could be turned off if you wanted). They were a big hit to performance, sure, but that's the nature of the beast with Nvidia extensions.

The real problem with Borderlands 2 is that it's a CPU destroyer in certain areas. If they could optimise that, it would be a big deal.

You got that backwards. The PhysX effects are what caused the huge issues, mainly due to Nvidia not updating the physx drivers for years. Also having one CPU core for PhysX. Anyones issues with CPU usage wasnt due to the game. I even just googled the issue in case I was remembering wrong and all the "high cpu usage" threads it came up with showed it wasnt a game issue.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Thinking about grabbing that $4.99 steam version of Borderlands for the free upgrade to play with the wife, but just want to make sure it has split screen multiplayer with controller support on PC since we'd be playing on our TV. I found some mixed info while looking into it, and most of the pages are from years ago.

If I grab this, will I have a pretty similar experience as I would playing on PS4, or would I be better of paying the full amount for ease of play?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can someone remind me of a few details about how the original Borderlands worked?
  • Are there multiple difficulties go to through the game in?
  • Are the difficulties unlocked from the beginning - Diablo 3 style - or do you need to run through them one-by-one - Diablo 2 style?
  • If there are higher difficulties, how does loot work in them? Do completely different weapon types and attributes appear? Or just higher damage output of essentially the same classes of weapons you've already seen?

Bonus points if you can also answer these questions for Borderlands 2 and The Pre Sequel!

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone remind me of a few details about how the original Borderlands worked?
  • Are there multiple difficulties go to through the game in?
  • Are the difficulties unlocked from the beginning - Diablo 3 style - or do you need to run through them one-by-one - Diablo 2 style?
  • If there are higher difficulties, how does loot work in them? Do completely different weapon types and attributes appear? Or just higher damage output of essentially the same classes of weapons you've already seen?

Bonus points if you can also answer these questions for Borderlands 2 and The Pre Sequel!

BL1: Two difficulties and a "third" which mainly just scales everything else up to your level
No, you need to beat the first playthrough. Then you unlock playthrough 2 for a character and beating it, Playthrough 2.5 (which is the scaling). This is all done on a character to character basis
Weapon "types" don't change but yeah, stronger variants of weapons appear during the harder difficulties. Stronger variants of enemies as well. Some of the legendaries are not even worth getting too early because its later on that they shine

For BL2 and TPS is the same but with three difficulties instead (normal, PL2/True Vault Hunter Mode and PL3/Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode). BL2 had a DLC that added overpower levels which are a continuation of UVHM and go up to OP8. However BL2 has the worst scaling in the story of games so Ultimate Vault Hunter mode is just a pointless exercise in seeing big numbers where everything you get is instantly outdated and all you do is basically farm the same recommended set over and over and over.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
BL1: Two difficulties and a "third" which mainly just scales everything else up to your level
No, you need to beat the first playthrough. Then you unlock playthrough 2 for a character and beating it, Playthrough 2.5 (which is the scaling). This is all done on a character to character basis
Weapon "types" don't change but yeah, stronger variants of weapons appear during the harder difficulties. Stronger variants of enemies as well. Some of the legendaries are not even worth getting too early because its later on that they shine

For BL2 and TPS is the same but with three difficulties instead (normal, PL2/True Vault Hunter Mode and PL3/Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode). BL2 had a DLC that added overpower levels which are a continuation of UVHM and go up to OP8. However BL2 has the worst scaling in the story of games so Ultimate Vault Hunter mode is just a pointless exercise in seeing big numbers where everything you get is instantly outdated and all you do is basically farm the same recommended set over and over and over.
Thanks. So the higher difficulties have a higher chance of dropping legendary items with more bespoke attributes and such, but those are also technically possible to get in the lower difficulties?

Oct 27, 2017
You got that backwards. The PhysX effects are what caused the huge issues, mainly due to Nvidia not updating the physx drivers for years. Also having one CPU core for PhysX. Anyones issues with CPU usage wasnt due to the game. I even just googled the issue in case I was remembering wrong and all the "high cpu usage" threads it came up with showed it wasnt a game issue.

You should try it again with current hardware. I don't doubt that PhysX can and has caused issues on some setups, but modern Nvidia GPUs can (just about!) brute force it these days. I've recently tried it with an overclocked 8700K and a 1080Ti, and while it still drops a few frames when there's an especially large amount of particles on screen, it's certain open areas with wide sight lines that bottlenecks even my CPU.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I should really play more of Borderlands, for some reason I played about 4 hours of the first one and didn't get into them despite loving loot games like Destiny and the Division

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
You should try it again with current hardware. I don't doubt that PhysX can and has caused issues on some setups, but modern Nvidia GPUs can (just about!) brute force it these days. I've recently tried it with an overclocked 8700K and a 1080Ti, and while it still drops a few frames when there's an especially large amount of particles on screen, it's certain open areas with wide sight lines that bottlenecks even my CPU.

Last time I played was approx a year ago. Played with a 4690k (which i still use sadly) and a GTX 1080. With physx on low I got a steady 60fps, but it did dip during a few explosive areas, such as at the ship dock near the beginning, other than that it ran ok, this was in co-op too.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Free upgrade on Steam even though you only have the base game?

That's pretty cool, I guess I'm replaying since I never played the DLCs.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. So the higher difficulties have a higher chance of dropping legendary items with more bespoke attributes and such, but those are also technically possible to get in the lower difficulties?

Kind of. Items are leveled, so the higher the level you get them the better they are, including attributes and extra fun stuff on the weapons and such, and the lower difficulties all have a hard cap which limit how good the gear you can find is, even if you get good RNG for drops. This usually isnt a problem in BL1 where the scaling is much more softer and balanced so your gear last longer, its the worst thing about BL2

Regarding drop chances stronger enemies have better chance to drop legendary/stronger stuff yeah so in a sense you get better lootpools the higher difficulties yeah, but your chances are random anyway, you can even find legendaries in weapon vending machines for BL1. Its best to not attach yourself to a single weapon and always try new stuff, unless you get a really good defiller, cause defillers are love.

Oct 29, 2017

Aurelia's right tree is actually pretty solid for SP. Duchess works in SP so you only need to burn 4 skill points to unlock Quality Not Quantity and Next to Cleanliness.