• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
borderlandsgotyesysrepxjbd.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
Computerbase (German; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Mitigate texture pop-in: Open C:\Users\[username]\Documents\my games\Borderlands Game of the Year\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.ini and set MipLevelFadingInRate and MipLevelFadingOutRate to 0.
Reduce mouse sensitivity: Follow these instructions. (Credit to Pargon.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Brightness: Self-explanatory
Field of view: 60 -> 120 in increments of 5
Graphics level (preset): Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Fullscreen mode: Fulscreen; Windowed; Borderless window
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Pause game on focus loss: Off/On
Vsync: Off/On

Frame rate locking: Smoothed 22fps-62fps; 30fps; 50fps; 60fps; 75fps; 100fps; 120fps; 144fps; Unlimited
Anisotropic filtering: Trilinear; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Anti-aliasing: Off/FXAA
Dynamic shadows: Off/On
Shadow detail: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Bullet decals: Off/On
Foliage quality: Low/High
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High
Game detail: Low; Medium; High

Ambient occlusion: Off/On
Bloom: Off/On
Depth of field: Off/On
Flare outs: Off/On
Level of detail: Low; Medium; High

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm going to DL Borderlands 2 again, see if performance is a bit better. I played years ago on my GTX 660ti, AMD x860, 8GB of ram. I'm going for low settings, hopefully there have been some engine improvements.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
works fine for now, no issue so far and I managed to keep 60 fps through 45mns of play with my GTX970 (1080p)

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
144fps most of the time on ultra at 1080p. I did have a couple of weird instances where the frame rate shit the bed and went under 10fps for a few seconds, but otherwise pretty perfect. GTX 1080, 8600k @ 4.8GHz.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Only played the first half-hour or so, but solid performance out the box at my secondary PC (4790K 16GB + 1060 6GB, 1080p60). Just feels really good to play, which is encouraging and speaks to how solid this was out the gate a decade ago.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Game has trouble maintaining framerates above 100fps, same thing with Borderlands 2 on Windows10; My graphics card never goes above 70% usage and I still get drops in open areas. Thank god for Freesync.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

edit:
Nice, I just noticed the enhanced version is already in my steam library :) Must be a free upgrade, I do own all the stuff from before.

Last edited:

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else frame rate absolutely tank whenever an item description pops up? Like on a weapon.

1080Ti+2700x and everything else is smooth as butter except when those pop ups happen,

Not being able to go high than 60 fps is kind of a bummer but, eh, not a huge deal.

sarmonic

Oct 29, 2017
I'm running this downsampled from 4k (nvidia dsr) with all the settings maxed at around 110-120fps in the first little town. Super smooth and looks great. The fov slider is a godsend.

This is on a i7-8700k and GTX 1080 with a gsync monitor.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized that online co-op would work way better in this due to the first game having GameSpy. That alone might be worth getting this and playing again.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
in the launcher there's a setting called "Disable Music For Streaming"

anyone know what this does?? when I turned it On for curiousity, it does not actually disable music in the game, I still hear music

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
When the game auto-detected my graphics, it put me at some weird, extremely low fps/hz. My computer can max everything @ 144fps. It's definitely smoother feeling than the original release.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the game's FXAA breaks if the resolution is wider than 3840px:
I'm surprised to see people saying that the game is running at 144 FPS for them. It seems to be very dependent on single-threaded performance and is dropping to ~60 FPS in many places for me with a Ryzen 1700X.
I haven't tested it yet, but I expect that turning down the Level of Detail will at least help wit that.

For people saying that the game is locked to a low refresh rate, it's possible that you may have missed it in the settings.
For me, the game is listing 100Hz first, then 50Hz 60Hz etc in ascending order. It then says it's running at 49Hz when I go back to the video settings menu, but it is actually outputting 100Hz.

As mentioned in the game's release thread, the game was also crashing for me almost immediately when Steam was in online mode, and my firewall (NetLimiter) was blocking the game's network access. I have to either grant it network access, or run the game with Steam in offline mode to fix that.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Game worked and ran pretty well for me. Combo of a 2700x and a 2080. Never saw myself dip below 100ish FPS. However, there was a ton of lag playing online. A buddy and I popped onto Borderlands 2 to test it there and that worked just fine...

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The game is running at 144hz and I am hitting my 144fps cap in the opening area with no problem, but in the graphical settings menu it says i have the 24hz option selected and it does not appear to save that option when i close out the menu.

Same goes for Anistropic Filtering. It keeps setting itself back to "Trilinear" even after I set it to 16x manually.

Oct 25, 2017
Running a locked 60 with my 580 and Ryzen 1600

Dunno what it is but wow I got motion sick within about 10 minutes. I'll have to tinker with FOV I guess? Aiming also felt really floaty?

Zohar127

Oct 27, 2017
Having huge framerate problems. Game started out fine at a solid 60fps but by the time I was on my way back from 9-toes, I was getting 5-10 fps at all times. Weird thing is when I aim down the sight of a scoped weapon the framerate snaps back to 60. There's something seriously wrong here. I'm going to experiment with various fixes posted here and elsewhere and see if it works. Feels like some kind of memory leak. My hardware is: 4690k, GTX 970, 8GB of RAM. All other games can be played for hours on end with no issues so it's not an overheating issue. Putting all the graphics settings on the lowest presets also had no effect.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Running at 144fps for me pretty much locked, at least in the opening area. Everything maxed out at 1080p, 980ti/i5 4670k.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Having huge framerate problems. Game started out fine at a solid 60fps but by the time I was on my way back from 9-toes, I was getting 5-10 fps at all times. Weird thing is when I aim down the sight of a scoped weapon the framerate snaps back to 60. There's something seriously wrong here. I'm going to experiment with various fixes posted here and elsewhere and see if it works. Feels like some kind of memory leak. My hardware is: 4690k, GTX 970, 8GB of RAM. All other games can be played for hours on end with no issues so it's not an overheating issue. Putting all the graphics settings on the lowest presets also had no effect.
I also have a 4690k with a 1070ti, and so far in the beginning it's very fast with everything maxed at 1080p

But I have not reached 9-Toes yet. I'll let you know if anything changes

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like the game's FXAA breaks if the resolution is wider than 3840px:
I'm surprised to see people saying that the game is running at 144 FPS for them. It seems to be very dependent on single-threaded performance and is dropping to ~60 FPS in many places for me with a Ryzen 1700X.
I haven't tested it yet, but I expect that turning down the Level of Detail will at least help wit that.

For people saying that the game is locked to a low refresh rate, it's possible that you may have missed it in the settings.
For me, the game is listing 100Hz first, then 50Hz 60Hz etc in ascending order. It then says it's running at 49Hz when I go back to the video settings menu, but it is actually outputting 100Hz.

As mentioned in the game's release thread, the game was also crashing for me almost immediately when Steam was in online mode, and my firewall (NetLimiter) was blocking the game's network access. I have to either grant it network access, or run the game with Steam in offline mode to fix that.
The game only uses a couple of my 9900k cores, but yeah basically locked at 144fps @ 1080p. Even in the 9 Toes fight. My gpu usage is at like 35%.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
Early impressions running on a GTX 1060 6GB, i5 8400, 16GB of DDR4 2667: framerate tanks when certain UI elements are on screen, such as when looking at gun stats in first person view. There's a little dust tornado in the opening section that tanks your framerate when standing inside or walking through it. The game still operates with a double buffer Vsync, so use Borderless Fullscreen if you want triple buffering. Although, that annoyingly means I have to set my desktop res to 4K if I want to use DSR. Anisotropic Filtering seems to default to Trilinear every time I boot up the game. Also, the mouse sensitivity goes to 100 but can only be changed in increments of 10? Need to edit the config files if you want finer control. Better than the original that lacked basic features such as Vsync, anti aliasing, and FOV options in-game; but still needs some work.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I figured out a way to fix the mouse sensitivity in the game by editing the profile, based on fixes for Borderlands 2.
The problem is that the minimum sensitivity is too high, so small movements are quantized to large steps.

(not my video)
  • Run the game and set all sensitivities to "90" then quit.
  • Navigate to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Borderlands Game of the Year\Binaries\SaveData\
  • Open profile.bin in a hex editor such as HxD
  • Navigate to offset 126, which should read 5a (hex for 90) and change this to 01 (this can be anything from 01–09)
01-sensitivity-jvj3l.png

• Select everything from block 14 to block 153 and use Analysis > Checksums > SHA-1 to calculate our modified profile's checksum:
02-checksum-hpkat.png

• Copy the new checksum and paste that into blocks 0-13:
03-edited-checksum-jpj90.png

Now the sensitivity for that profile should be set to "1" rather than the game's minimum of 10, and turning should be much smoother.
To change the sensitivity, adjust your mouse's resolution. Most mice typically allow for adjustments in 50–100 CPI steps now.

Zohar127

Oct 27, 2017

Update to this, it seemed capping my framerate to 60 and disabling vsync resolved the issue.