• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Success

Oct 27, 2017
Epic has proved the concept.
I predict that Steam will become more and more irrelevant unless they do something drastic.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I predict that Steam will become more and more irrelevant unless they do something drastic.

You've gone too far bro, ease up.

90 million users aren't just going to stop using Steam because of one game. They might start being open to using more launchers as well, but I'd guess the overwhelming majority will still do most of their purchasing on Steam.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I think long-term the problems are gonna be with DLC.

EGS is not well setup for BL-levels of DLC at all.
Luckily, money talks.
Since BL3 is doing so well, it's fantastic impetus for Epic to do something about it and make sure EGS properly supports it to maximize rev.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Something drastic, like secure the release of every first party Microsoft title including Halo? And become the home of Destiny 2 on PC? I don't think Valve paid anyone for that to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like so many people were hoping this game would fail. That was NEVER going to happen as long it was good at a minimum. And it is much more than that IMO. No Randy shenanigans or exclusivity deals were going to derail this train.

Oct 26, 2017

A funny thought: some of the biggest games in pc gaming from the last years were always outside of Steam :

-LoL
-World of Tanks
-WoW / Starcraft / Diablo 3 / Overwatch
-MInecraft
-Battlefield 3 /4
-Fortnite
and I forgetting a few ones.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
they don't report on sales anyway and almost all the reports we have gotten are never using numbers just numbers that are not the full story.
The carefully worded PR spin is glorious.

"in a five day window"

We'll never get the full story when people continue to buy into crap like this without question.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's a good game and adds a ton of refinement and QOL to a very grounded and solid formula. It's a huge improvement to its predecessor in virtually every way imaginable. It's exactly what fans wanted.

How is that hard to understand?

I wouldn't qualify it as good times after watching the Giant Bomb quick look.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how a game with so little in term of improvements or innovation, over such a long development time, would sell as much. Goes to show that more of the same with as little risk as possible will still sell.
You don't understand because you don't know what you're talking about. Borderlands 3 has an insane amount of QoL improvements over the previous games. The gunplay and movement feel drastically improved. It didn't need to innovate. The entire appeal of BL3 was the lack of "innovations" like paid loot boxes, tacked-on PVP modes, and a bare bones experience at launch.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
70% digital for a major game. By the time the next gen starts this will be the norm.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The carefully worded PR spin is glorious.

"in a five day window"

We'll never get the full story when people continue to buy into crap like this without question.
Pretty much, you'll notice that it's par for the course for everything egs related and some are just happy to defend it.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Are you aware that the game got released on the 13th?
Dear God i didnt realize. Anyway, report was released 10 days after launch and it was almost certainly finished on a friday/saturday. So more like 8 days launch? And clearing the details to get released would have to be done earlier than that. So no, its not stramge to have only 5 days worth of data in this

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't qualify it as good times after watching the Giant Bomb quick look.
I guess Giant Bomb's quick look is more valid than people's personal experience with the game. Arguing over a game's quality when you haven't even played it is a bit ridiculous, imo.
Still don't see why physical games/retails dying is "obviously" depressing. I've gotten 4 replies, but not one reason.

PC gaming has effectively been digital only for years, and I can't remember when I last heard anyone complaining that they can't go to a retail store and pick up a physical version of a PC game
Because people like to own their games? It's getting harder and harder for physical games too because of massive day one patches, but if a service like the EGS ever stops being a thing, every single bit of your purchases on there is gone. Or what about people who got hacked and their account with all their digital stuff being lost forever?

Some people aren't at a point where the convenience of not having to walk to a store (oh the horror) or have a box on their shelf (the bane of some people's existence, apparently) outweights the negatives of a fully digital future. Not sure how that's not a valid reason.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dear God i didnt realize. Anyway, report was released 10 days after launch and it was almost certainly finished on a friday/saturday. So more like 8 days launch? And clearing the details to get released would have to be done earlier than that. So no, its not stramge to have only 5 days worth of data in this
It's highly unlikely that the Publisher isn't live tracking the sales of a release like BL3. Also crafting a PR message with sales numbers does not take 6 days.
So yes, it is really strange that they - for some reason - have decided to not include the sales data after that 5th day.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It's highly unlikely that the Publisher isn't live tracking the sales of a release like BL3. Also crafting a PR message with sales numbers does not take 6 days.
So yes, it is really strange that they - for some reason - have decided to not include the sales data after that 5th day.
Like i said, they finished the PR on a Friday or saturday. That would only be 2 or 3 days to craft a PR statement. Then you send it out monday on a fresh news cycle.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's with most reviews saying it's very buggy .is that true ? Anyways I ll wait until it's given for free on ps+ like the last two games .2022? Hehe

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff is a legend, but he has some fucking awful opinions about video games.
jeff wanted BL to stick closer to the BL 1 style and disliked 2 so it makes sense he isn't enjoying 3 (and he says he picked a class he didn't like, which imo is the game's fault for not giving you more info before your choice).

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Like i said, they finished the PR on a Friday or saturday. That would only be 2 or 3 days to craft a PR statement. Then you send it out monday on a fresh news cycle.
Your lemonade stand can take 3 days to craft a PR message and also have no marketing staff working on weekends but this is 2K

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how a game with so little in term of improvements or innovation, over such a long development time, would sell as much. Goes to show that more of the same with as little risk as possible will still sell.

For the same reasons an innovative doorknob won't necessarily be better than a standard one, not every media experience has to be innovative to be well-made, fun, or rewarding. A new experience within a familiar framework is more valuable to most people than a concept piece that would likely have none of the merit of the former.

It's "risky" to reinvent the wheel, and also tends to be a waste of time and doesn't actually result in a better wheel. Complaining about a lack of risk or innovation in the context of a well reviewed, commercially successful entry in a game series may mean you (personally) are looking for something else.

May 25, 2019
London
I guess Giant Bomb's quick look is more valid than people's personal experience with the game. Arguing over a game's quality when you haven't even played it is a bit ridiculous, imo.

Because people like to own their games? It's getting harder and harder for physical games too because of massive day one patches, but if a service like the EGS ever stops being a thing, every single bit of your purchases on there is gone. Or what about people who got hacked and their account with all their digital stuff being lost forever?

Some people aren't at a point where the convenience of not having to walk to a store (oh the horror) or have a box on their shelf (the bane of some people's existence, apparently) outweights the negatives of a fully digital future. Not sure how that's not a valid reason.

If this was still last gen, I would be afraid of such a massive shift to digital. But both XBL and PSN have fantastic sales all the time on digital games, matching what you can find for physical copies. I picked up Persona 5 for $14 this summer on PSN - a tentpole exclusive of the platform.

Also, everybody on this forum probably plays at least a dozen (if not more) games a year, and keeping that many boxes laying around as the years go by can get out of hand very quickly. When you realize you would have to pack 5-10 boxes less of stuff to move if you didn't have all these games laying around, you start to appreciate digital pretty quickly.

There has not been a single issue yet with a service folding and you losing access to games, outside of Nintendo who didn't have a proper account system set up until the Switch (which prevented me from buying anything digital from them for years). My copy of Half-Life 2 on Steam from 2005 is still playable today. People are playing Xbox games they got near the 360's launch on their current systems. Meanwhile, I can't find my disc for Halo 1 PC after all these years.

People afraid of the digital future are likely predominantly Playstation or Nintendo gamers who have been burned by those platform holders' poor planning and backwards compatibility setups and are projecting that fear onto the rest of the industry. There are ways to make digital ownership work, you just can't have Nintendo of Japan's hubris.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
A funny thought: some of the biggest games in pc gaming from the last years were always outside of Steam :

-LoL
-World of Tanks
-WoW / Starcraft / Diablo 3 / Overwatch
-MInecraft
-Battlefield 3 /4
-Fortnite
and I forgetting a few ones.

Seriously people acting as though a game selling big outside of steam is some new concept was boggling me. I was like "Was I imaging the rest of those?"

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Your lemonade stand can take 3 days to craft a PR message and also have no marketing staff working on weekends but this is 2K
I mean, 2 days max and then you most likely have to send it over to epic for them to check it over too. Not everything is some big conspiracy, it's also possible they didn't hit another milestone like 6 million within those 2 days.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
What's with most reviews saying it's very buggy .is that true ? Anyways I ll wait until it's given for free on ps+ like the last two games .2022? Hehe

From my experience; hell yes. I've had nothing too gamebreaking but it is probably one of the buggiest AAA games I've played in a long time.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
If this was still last gen, I would be afraid of such a massive shift to digital. But both XBL and PSN have fantastic sales all the time on digital games, matching what you can find for physical copies. I picked up Persona 5 for $14 this summer on PSN - a tentpole exclusive of the platform.

Also, everybody on this forum probably plays at least a dozen (if not more) games a year, and keeping that many boxes laying around as the years go by can get out of hand very quickly. When you realize you would have to pack 5-10 boxes less of stuff to move if you didn't have all these games laying around, you start to appreciate digital pretty quickly.

There has not been a single issue yet with a service folding and you losing access to games, outside of Nintendo who didn't have a proper account system set up until the Switch (which prevented me from buying anything digital from them for years). My copy of Half-Life 2 on Steam from 2005 is still playable today. People are playing Xbox games they got near the 360's launch on their current systems. Meanwhile, I can't find my disc for Halo 1 PC after all these years.

People afraid of the digital future are likely predominantly Playstation or Nintendo gamers who have been burned by those platform holders' poor planning and backwards compatibility setups and are projecting that fear onto the rest of the industry. There are ways to make digital ownership work, you just can't have Nintendo of Japan's hubris.
if digital can get me deals like I get often on physical copies, I'd do more digital on console. love me some b2g1 free and other retail promotions

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Good for Gearbox but the original tweet as has been said is worded extremely poorly. It says "Fastest selling 2k game" and "Highest selling 2k game on PC". Now the 1st point is fine as it would indicate the most sales in a 5 day period for example or other "fast" time period after launch which it sounds like is what happened, but the second implies that it is...the highest selling 2k game on PC, which I dont think is true as Civ has like 10M sales.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

The people resistant to digital sales typically resell their games used. But the gaming landscape has changed. Enthusiasts don't play multiple games a month and use reselling to subsidize the costs of buying new games. This is why Gamestop is closing down hundreds of stores.

The reason those enthusiasts stopped playing games in this manner is due to 3rd party publishers and various devs creating always online hooks and AAA devs slowing down development such that the number of games they release monthly is effectively half what it used to be 15 years ago. Enthusiasts now stick to 2 or 3 games a year consistently like modern Call of Duty, modern Fifa, League of Legends, Hearthstone, World of Tanks, etc. and play 1 or 2 side games each month. They don't have to rely as much on reselling and even if they wanted to the games being offered are very cheap indie games (which get limited physical releases) or AAA games with very slow release schedules.

The issues with digital games has very little to do with the infrastructure of each platform. Both Nintendo and Sony are experiencing year over year increase in digital sales on their platforms as well.

May 25, 2019
London
The people resistant to digital sales typically resell their games used. But the gaming landscape has changed. Enthusiasts don't play multiple games a month and use reselling to subsidize the costs of buying new games. This is why Gamestop is closing down hundreds of stores.

The reason those enthusiasts stopped playing games in this manner is due to 3rd party publishers and various devs creating always online hooks and AAA devs slowing down development such that the number of games they realease monthly is effectively half what it used to be 15 years ago. Enthusiasts now stick to 2 or 3 games a year consistently like modern Call of Duty, modern Fifa, League of Legends, Hearthstone, World of Tanks, etc. and play 1 or 2 side games each month. They don't have to rely as much on reselling and even if they wanted to the games being offered are very cheap indie games (which get limited physical releases) or AAA games with very slow release schedules.

This is another great point. And when everything has an online hook or is a GaaS title, how useful is a physical, unpatched copy anyway?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Those are valid reasons, haven't said they aren't. It's just that no actual reason was given until your post.

However, personally I don't really understand why those reasons are enough to get some to hate the digital distribution model compared to the physical one. To my knowledge, no noteworthy digital storefront like an EGS or Steam have stopped being a thing. Until that happens, using that as a reason to be down on digital mostly just seems like a pessimistic mindset about those storefronts future. I'm even fairly sure Valve have said that in the event that they ever had to close Steam, they would make sure to offer people a a way to retain their steam game library.

Conversely there's also a ton of ways you could lose your physical games. So I find it weird that people who buy physical wouldn't be worried about that.

As for getting their account hacked and be banned, that would obviously suck, and that does happen. But you could just enable two-factor authentication and never worry about that. If you take some basic precautions on the digital storefronts, your digital games are likely far safer than when you have a ton of physical games lying around in a house or apartment.

I dunno, for me it just seems weird to be super anti-digital because of some potential drawbacks of having games digitally. Physical games have just as many, if not far more, drawbacks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019

It has phenomenal gameplay and not a lot of balancing problems straight out the gates. Thats basically why. + its a beloved franchise anyway