• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best Borderlands, no surprise. Great game! Now patch the menus on the console versions, they lag like hell.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Highest selling 2K title on PC in a five-day window".
So yeah, the quote that BL3 is the fastest selling 2K title on PC general is incorrect

...how exactly are the two sentences contradicting? It's the fastest and highest selling 2K title launch aligned. And obviously it's launch aligned, no sane analyst is going to compare FW numbers to LTD and draw conclusions.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
70% digital makes more than enough sense if this game sold so much on PC, I don't think anybody bought retail for that platform. The initial EGS payout, plus the higher share per sale, plus the Steam relaunch in 6 months, I don't doubt that will be one of Gearbox's best financial decisions in the company's history.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
50% more than BL2 doesn't sound much if you factor in that the target audience is at least more than 4 times that from BL2

You spouted off some similar nonsense in the recent Pitchford thread, 50% more than BL2 is massively successful if you couldn't take the time to read the bullet points Zhuge outlined in his tweet. I'm not sure how you think numbers and math works but please continue with this narrative of yours.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me the big news is 70% digital. Retail is dying quickly, I wonder if it hold on one more console cycle.

It better hold on until prices are fixed in certain regions. I'm not paying £60 for a game available for £40-£45 physically.

Happy to buy some new AAA releases digitally once that's sorted and wait on a sale for the ones I'd usually resell.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
How would that lead to the conclusion that Borderlands 3 would have sold the same whether it was on EGS, Steam + EGS or just Steam?

What would have previously held the title of best selling 2K game on PC? Bioshock Infinite maybe? A lot of their more mainstream games aren't big on PC (NBA, WWE), or are big within their niche but not mainstream games (like Civ/Xcom).
Civ 5 sold like 10 milion copies.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
...how exactly are the two sentences contradicting? It's the fastest and highest selling 2K title launch aligned.
BL3 can sell X units within 5 days. Another game can sell 3X units within a year. The other game would have 3 times more sales than BL3.
Also you just added the "launch aligned" part right now which is kinda sneaky, isn't it?

You spouted off some similar nonsense in the recent Pitchford thread, 50% more than BL2 is massively successful if you couldn't take the time to read the bullet points Zhuge outlined in his tweet. I'm not sure how you think numbers and math works but please continue with this narrative of yours.
I'm referring to this. Obviously. 2K have literally stated "in a five-day window" but you do you I guess.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
70% digital just shows again how utterly and completely useless UK retail charts are these days.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
Great game, nobody will stop me from playing a good game, it doesn't matter what platform or store the game is.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If the only argument left at this point is arguing obvious semantics, it speaks a lot about the state of the discourse against EGS.

"Obvious semantics"
Not that obvious when you read the thread. Some people seemed to think it was already the highest selling pc title for 2K. Which it factually cant be.

As for your "well it proves that people dont care", how can you count missed sales ?
That's the entire point. No, BL3 wouldn't have bombed. Now did it hurt its growth ? It's highly possible.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, despite some issues and questionable decisions, I've enjoyed my time with bl3. Surprised at 70% digital tho

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Impressive.

I'm also not surprised by the digital percentage as Borderlands has always had a pretty strong PC following, and nearly all PC sales are digital, couple that with the already increasing console digital splits, and there you go.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
If the only argument left at this point is arguing obvious semantics, it speaks a lot about the state of the discourse against EGS.
How is it semantics?

Highest selling implies it somehow outsold the PC version of GTAV in 5 days, a game that has basically never left the global top sellers on Steam for the past 4 years. That's kind of a big difference.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Obvious semantics"
Not that obvious when you read the thread. Some people seemed to think it was already the highest selling pc title for 2K. Which it factually cant be.

As for your "well it proves that people dont care", how can you count missed sales ?
That's the entire point. No, BL3 wouldn't have bombed. Now did it hurt its growth ? It's highly possible.
I think long-term the problems are gonna be with DLC.

EGS is not well setup for BL-levels of DLC at all.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Obvious semantics"

Trying to spin BL3 success into "BuT EgS hUrT iTs GrOwTh" when the press release highlights multiple record-breaking milestones that they're clearly pleased with is pretty wild.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, it's a great game. Haven't touched any other games since it came out.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
people thought that in a post destiny world this would hold little appeal

Those people were incorrect

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
How is it semantics?

Highest selling implies it somehow outsold the PC version of GTAV in 5 days, a game that has basically never left the global top sellers on Steam for the past 4 years. That's kind of a big difference.

"Highest-selling title for the label" means 2K's best selling game, not T2.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
Downplaying sales because they don't find your narrative. Why even bother? Things sell some times even if we don't like them or their methods of selling (see all of the microtransactions).

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it semantics?

It doesn't counts GTAV because it's only about 2K (as in, the label) games, as per the PR:
highest-selling title for the label on PC
The previous record holder was probably either Borderlands 2 or Bioshock Infinite.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to spin BL3 success into "BuT EgS hUrT iTs GrOwTh" when the press release highlights multiple record-breaking milestones that they're clearly pleased with is pretty wild.

Where did I say that it's not a success ?
I'll make it simple for you:
Your previous game sold 1 million.
Your next game being exclusive sold 2 millions. It's a success.
But if it wasn't exclusive, it could've sold 3 millions.
While it's a success, you lost in potential growth.

Also writing that way doesn't make a point. You just come across as inintelligible.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
2K games and Rockstar games are counted separately.

They always have been.
"Highest-selling title for the label" means 2K's best selling game, not T2.
It doesn't counts GTAV because it's only about 2K (as in, the label) games, as per the PR:

The previous record holder was probably either Borderlands 2 or Bioshock Infinite.
Ok, that makes more sense.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where did I say that it's not a success ?
I'll make it simple for you:
Your previous game sold 1 million.
Your next game being exclusive sold 2 millions. It's a success.
But if it wasn't exclusive, it could've sold 3 millions.
While it's a success, you lost in potential growth.

Also writing that way doesn't make a point. You just come across as inintelligible.

I didn't say you didn't call it a success? I said the fact you are trying to spin these numbers and this PR into "but it could've sold more!" is hilarious.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, if you like a game you'll most likely buy it whatever the platform, makes sense because i'm on this hobby to play not tinker around a launcher

Some might even double dip again when this drops on steam

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Or Civilization. Didn't the last one sell 10 million+ units?

It didn't sell 5 million units as fast as Borderlands 3, thus Borderlands 3 is the fastest selling game. This is a weird and entirely useless semantic argument y'all are having here.

EDIT: I just noticed that the tweet misquotes 2Ks report, where they themselves state it's "the highest-selling title for the label on PC in a five-day window". So yeah, that tweet is, indeed, incorrect. Not 2K's report I was reading, though.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say you didn't call it a success? I said the fact you are trying to spin these numbers and this PR into "but it could've sold more!" is hilarious.

How is that hilarious ?
Because you cant properly make a point so you resort to making fun of others in lame attempts ?
Where did I spinned any numbers ? I replied to someone saying "see it proves that it didn't hurt sales" to which I replied "well, by definition, you cant count lost sales".
You should take some fresh air, I feel you upset and tense.