• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As expected, people generally don't care which store it's on before purchasing a game they want.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, still working my way through it but it's been a blast with friends. Definitely the game I needed.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Well this is a huge success. Also 70% digital kinda proves what I was thinking for over a year now that any sales charts analysis without digital sales are kinda pointless.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me the big news is 70% digital. Retail is dying quickly, I wonder if it hold on one more console cycle.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
For me the big news is 70% digital. Retail is dying quickly, I wonder if it hold on one more console cycle.

Not that retail isn't fading, but I really think it depends on the title. Borderlands is such an online-centric game for many that it's desirable to just have sitting on your harddrive so you can popin and play it whenever you want. More single-player driven games wont necessarily tap that same feeling.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah, I figured the game's selling like crazy. I'm currently talking about video games with people I've never talked video games with which is a nice surprise.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand i'm glad for the devs who worked on this, on the other hand this also proves, that people don't care about the technical state games release in :/

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Sorry Zhugex but I don't think this is always the case. For something huge like Borderlands, sure.

But I think Microsoft missed out on a lot of sales for FH etc because people hated the Windows Store. Equally there are lesser known games that won't get discovered if they're not on the primary store that people are using. It's also impossible to know if the game would have sold even better again had it have been on Steam. Remember being the highest selling 2K label game doesn't include Rockstar stuff.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
We can't directly extrapolate digital sales, since the 5 millions number is a sell-in number. However, a 70% digital split for such a big launch is massive, even assuming sales from EGS (purely digital) represented a good chunk of the total.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
As expected, people generally don't care which store it's on before purchasing a game they want.
I think that depends on the audience for the game. There's probably a big crossover between the audience for Borderlands and Fortnite - so they're already on-board with EGS.
It's also a co-op game rather than a single player game. People are going to want to play with their friends rather than sit it out and wait for a Steam release later.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
wish you could take a bet on which threads will get [see staff post]-d within the hour.

Anyway pretty surprising numbers to me. I thought BL hype would have died down by now and all the negative press about Gearbox would've softened sales.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't like the game and I think it is very disappointing but gongrats to gearbox. Excellent sales

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
50% more than BL2 doesn't sound much if you factor in that the target audience is at least more than 4 times that from BL2

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man, between Borderlands and GTA / Red Dead, Take 2 must be swimming in money.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Highest selling 2k game on PC is a pretty good indication.
How would that lead to the conclusion that Borderlands 3 would have sold the same whether it was on EGS, Steam + EGS or just Steam?

What would have previously held the title of best selling 2K game on PC? Bioshock Infinite maybe? A lot of their more mainstream games aren't big on PC (NBA, WWE), or are big within their niche but not mainstream games (like Civ/Xcom).

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Mainstream audience's don't. We already knew this.
Well then, now time to wait for those numbers of the "hardcore" audience getting the game on Steam come February.

Same, this is the biggest news here, that's a huge rate. While retail will be gone in two more cycles, I think it will survive one more. I bet this upcoming one truly will be the transition period.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
How would that lead to the conclusion that Borderlands 3 would have sold the same whether it was on EGS, Steam + EGS or just Steam?

What would have previously held the title of best selling 2K game on PC? Bioshock Infinite maybe? A lot of their more mainstream games aren't big on PC (NBA, WWE), or are big within their niche but not mainstream games (like Civ/Xcom).
Rockstar is 2k (unless they count it separately).

Edit : Messed it up. Take2 is Rockstar, which also owns 2K. So yeah.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So much for boycotting it. I'll still wait for a sale oh the game + DLC or coming to steam. Whatever comes first

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
The question wasn't if the game would be a success on EGS, the question was if the exclusivity was worth whatever amount of sales they lost from not being on steam.
If they had the same deal as others in the form of sales guarantee i can't see how it was worth it since borderlands 3 doesn't need a safety net, it would obviously reach that minimum sales number on it's own. I suspect they had a different deal than others though.

Last edited: