• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is just an abject and shameful lesson in Game Journalism 101.

Slow news day? Look at a company's stock price -- if it has gone up or down, write a story about it and attempt to tenuously tie this change in value it to a recent event. The recent event should preferably be something gamers are angry about.

For bonus points, calculate the change in Market Cap and pretend that it is some huge cash amount. EG: "Electronic Arts loses 700 million dollars in stock value over microtransaction fiasco".

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It makes sense for the stock market, I guess. But that really isn't something you should use to draw conclusions about performance.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If record breaking success isn't enough for investors then I don't think the problem lies with the game's sales...

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
OP's post history is a lot of hate for EGS and downplaying the success of Borderlands 3 so the fact they're posting this "news story" from *checks notes* tweak town dot com isn't surprising.

Its fair to say my hate for EGS is there in out in the open, completely justified for the consequences epic's practices are gonna have on PC gaming if it succeeds somehow and how inferior the platform is as compared to its counter parts and i don't even try to hide that in my comments so pointing it out and turning your guns against me won't do you much good here.

I have only commented regarding EGS in the BL3 sales thread previously and that was about how it was falsely stated by ZHugex how it was plainly the highest selling 2K title when it was explicitly stated in the press release that it was only for the first 5 day period. Other than this i haven't tried to state anything else on BL3's sales so far and btw tweaktown is a known PC Enthusiast site that has PC specific news and graphic card reviews and news and has been doing this stuff for several years. Its much more reputable than you actually think i can assure you this much lol so while this might not be something of a significant *news* for you that doesn't mean that you should immediately question the source despite it being reputable enough, at least do some research about it.

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me you have someone controlling your 401k for you.

Also please don't day trade.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny how thoroughly uniformly dismissive people are about stock news in this instance when a Nintendo stock thread is on a constant back and forth.

But yeah it's of no real concern. Unless it keeps doing it.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
So that 5 million in 5 days Take-Two mentioned was only the sell in rate? I wish companies would be more clear when they announce numbers. I'm sure it's selling well though.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
A million copies a day a disappointment? Insane. I remember when a game breaking a million EVER was considered an insane achievement.

I mean, I get budget and expectations vs sales, but could BL3 really have that crazy of a budget?
No real crazy or innovative tech, no insane Mocap Studios or big name actors, no crazy server setups...which is fine, but it's not like this is the Avatar of gaming...

statha

Feb 15, 2018
I dont think 5mil is impressive for that game, but I doubt that resulted in that 4% dip. Stocks fluctuate all the time with no apparent reason.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It didn't drop 5% because they didn't meet expectations as the title suggests...stocks don't work like that

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
The uninspired article aside, BL3 deserves to do well, though it has its problem, it's a solid game. Really enjoyed it.

Oct 27, 2017
"Borderlands 2 still holds the best sales record with 10 million copies sold to date."

It must be more than double this, right? I'm sure they released total sales for the franchise a few weeks ago and it was something crazy like 40 million total.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm no journalist but I think it would be basic journalism when doing news about stock is to check a) if the special dip/rise of that day is particular to that company or part of the overall market and b) if that dip/rise can also be seen in other companies of the same industry.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I'm no journalist but I think it would be basic journalism when doing news about stock is to check a) if the special dip/rise of that day is particular to that company or part of the overall market and b) if that dip/rise can also be seen in other companies of the same industry.
But what if it turns out that dip is unrelated to release of the game? Just don't publish the article about the topic you know nothing about? ahahahah

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This says more about out-of-control expectations than it says about sales (which are strong).
This. Hell look at the switch lite. Fastest selling handheld ever and completely out of line with analysts to the point its blatant stock manipulation knowing they predicted it so high it would've had to out do the original switch craze itself.

Borderlands 3 is doing wonderfully and its studio is also getting hurt because analysts are posting idiotic margins. Shit is gonna come to a head in news at some point because the analysts are really making successful companies hurt for no reason.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
is the game really doing that good? i couldn't get into BL2. i want to pick it up but hesitant about buying it through EGS.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Stock experts on Era: "Stock is dropping, just like every stock right now, there is xyz going on, the stock is moving like all the other stocks" (seems like there is always something going on with the world, this argument comes up in every drop of a gaming company)
Stock experts on Era: "Stock is dropping, must be missed sales targets."
Stock experts on Era: "Stock is dropping, it's just daily fluctuations."
Stock experts on Era: "Stock is dropping, Game must be awful."
Stock experts on Era: "Stock is dropping, Analysts just had insane expectations."
Stock experts on Era: "Stock is dropping, No-one really knows why stocks goes up and down."

Stock experts on Era:

ihave.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
"Borderlands 2 still holds the best sales record with 10 million copies sold to date."

It must be more than double this, right? I'm sure they released total sales for the franchise a few weeks ago and it was something crazy like 40 million total.

yeah i don't even have to look it up to tell that's way off. 10 mil is a pittance for an evergreen title released 7 years ago

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its fair to say my hate for EGS is there in out in the open, completely justified for the consequences epic's practices are gonna have on PC gaming if it succeeds somehow and how inferior the platform is as compared to its counter parts and i don't even try to hide that in my comments so pointing it out and turning your guns against me won't do you much good here.

I have only commented regarding EGS in the BL3 sales thread previously and that was about how it was falsely stated by ZHugex how it was plainly the highest selling 2K title when it was explicitly stated in the press release that it was only for the first 5 day period. Other than this i haven't tried to state anything else on BL3's sales so far and btw tweaktown is a known PC Enthusiast site that has PC specific news and graphic card reviews and news and has been doing this stuff for several years. Its much more reputable than you actually think i can assure you this much lol so while this might not be something of a significant *news* for you that doesn't mean that you should immediately question the source despite it being reputable enough, at least do some research about it.

If a news source doesn't want it's reputation besmirched it shouldn't print shit articles like this one.

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i don't even have to look it up to tell that's way off. 10 mil is a pittance for an evergreen title released 7 years ago

According to this from May 2019, BL2 was at 22 million copies sold and the entire franchise was at 48 million copies sold, which is fucking bonkers and an outstanding success.

This whole article seems like it's spun out of nothing and the writer didn't even do a cursory fact-check.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yes, news sites should just spew the shit that comes from the Press releases from publishers and developers. Clearly because they won't lie.

If everyone (at least those that don't fit your agenda) lies anyways, what is the point of even having discussions? "I don't believe you unless you say the guys I hate are doing poorly, and the ones I like are doing well" is a very weird stance, don't think?

Also, it seems that Valve is also part of the conspiracy/ lie, as Steamspy shows more than 10M copies for Borderlands 2 on Steam alone. I guess that is more plausible than the writer not doing proper research? :p

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Oh nice! It's time for gamers with zero financial education to use this as an example of how the stock market doesn't make sense and analysts are all idiots.

There are two types of forecasters.. Those who don't know anything and those who don't know they don't know anything.

buy! sell! diiiive!

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it seems that Valve is also part of the conspiracy/ lie, as Steamspy shows more than 10M copies for Borderlands 2 on Steam alone. I guess that is more plausible than the writer not doing proper research? :p
Valve is not associated with SteamSpy.
SteamSpy is run by Epic employee Sergey Galyonkin (and has been more or less useless since Valve changed privacy defaults sometime... last year I think).

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
If everyone (at least those that don't fit your agenda) lies anyways, what is the point of even having discussions? "I don't believe you unless you say the guys I hate are doing poorly, and the ones I like are doing well" is a very weird stance, don't think?

ah yes my favorite valve site steamspy

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Valve is not associated with SteamSpy.
SteamSpy is run by Epic employee Sergey Galyonkin (and has been more or less useless since Valve changed privacy defaults sometime... last year I think).
ah yes my favorite valve site steamspy

I know that Steamspy is not run by Steam. But I know where it's data comes from, how close to the actual numbers it is (usually very accurate, based on past cases where I could verify the actuals myself), and I can't help but notice that Steamspy is frequently cited when it comes to showing the success of games on Steam :)

But by all means, if you want to insist that Borderlands has not sold more than 10M copies, because you find a random game's writer more believable than the companies involved, I guess I don't know how to convince you otherwise.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Some posters here are describing sales numbers from Gearbox as "bullshit". How and why would publisher ever lie about sales when sooner or later people will find out the truth?
ah apologies, missed the sarcasm there, thought you were seriously believe that publishers make up shit on official PR announcements with no fear of the SEC.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, news sites should just spew the shit that comes from the Press releases from publishers and developers. Clearly because they won't lie.

"We won't peddle the lies from publishers and developers, we'll just skew non-news data points to fit our bullshit to capitalize on the negative news surrounding BL3."

Real moral high ground they're taking.

I haven't even played BL3 yet but from what I've seen its had a bizarre press coverage that oversteps even what Pitchford has done and what he is accused of.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Some posters here are describing sales numbers from Gearbox as "bullshit". How and why would publisher ever lie about sales when sooner or later people will find out the truth?

"Some" posters don't call the numbers from Gearbox bullshit. They are calling the narrative that that means the EGS version did great, bullshit. I mean, it COULD be great, but we don't have any real info about it.

- 2K only reported sell-in numbers and not sold to consumer, that means that every copy on EGS that is part of the sales guarantee is already sold for 2K but not for EGS.
- if the sales guarantee was for 1 million copies, those 1 million would fall into the 5 Million in 5 days numbers because that is what 2K sold to stores.
- but we don't know how many were sold on EGS to the consumer. Could be 100k could be 1,5 Million.