• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not even planning to get Borderlands 3 anytime soon (I played a lot of the first 2 last-gen but they aged poorly, and the sequel doesn't seem to drastically improve where I wanted it to), but yeah it's insane how some people on this board manage to make a negative thread about the game every couple hours based on one or two reports of things (lost save, overheating console, missing forum, etc.) that happen with plenty of games. I mean, the issues definitely need to be called out, but if you just looked at the thread titles you'd think that it's a barely functional piece of trash.

The save issues are on egs, and its a real issue, and it doesnt just affect bl3, but bl3 is a huge release so naturally a lot more people are gonna get it

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The save issues are on egs, and its a real issue, and it doesnt just affect bl3, but bl3 is a huge release so naturally a lot more people are gonna get it

I get that, it's just that stuff like this is usually confined to OTs of the game, shared among people who are actually playing the game. I'm burnt out by Gearbox's shenanigans as much as the next guy (they fucked me over with Borderlands 2's DLC plan as it turned out quickly that the game + season pass combo was nowhere near enough to get all the extra content, I bought Battleborn, etc.), but the whole framing of the thread heavily implies that the game is already a bit of a trainwreck, and now it's even overheating consoles. No matter the game, I don't think this is the best approach to discussing actual issues, but I'm not a moderator so I'm gonna refrain from further metacommentary. If these issues are frequent, I just hope that by the game I play the game (if I decide to do so, maybe sometime next year while waiting for next-gen) they're ironed out.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
How is this even possible? I was wondering that even back in the day when StarCraft 2 allegedly did this to PCs in the main menu because FPS and power usage would rise freaking high and therefore temperatures. So was the argument.

BUT. Every fan I know scales to temperature... my GPU fan never climbs over 60% and my temperature not over 79°C no matter what I do and what FPS output I throw at it... GPU runs at 100% and 112% power consumption (overclocked) and when, let's say there's too much dust or in summer, the fan speed simply climbs but not the temperature.

Similar with the CPU that even with Prime95 on maximum heat won't climb over 60°C because it has proper cooling (still air cooling).

I mean, if the game doesn't magically rise CPU and GPU voltages I don't think it's not the game per se, but more the cooling efficiency that isn't designed to run GPU and CPU at 100% for longer periods. Which is actually Sony's/Microsoft's fault.

When I play BF1/V on my PC, everything runs at 100%, each CPU core and my GPU, and it doesn't "overheat".

Seems like the purpose of the thread is for more bashing on Borderlands 3 when the issue stems from faulty consoles. How would any console allow for a game to overheat it?
Exactly. The game somehow need to rise core voltages of CPU/GPU or boost clock speed beyond what is allowed by games and console. This is rather... strange and I don't think something BL3 does. More like dusty consoles doesn't like running at 100% all the time.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Seems they got a burning issue here to resolve

I thought games were thoroughly checked by Sony/Microsoft before release of patched?
Probably not checked on dusty machines or completely accurate real world environments.
I've played for an unhealthy amount of time on my launch PS4 and it's had no issues outside of jetengine fan mode.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate joke
It's one dude... if it was a common problem we would have a lot more threads on reddit. Era a bit too fast with the fake news again. Can we not be as shitty as other clickbait sites. Fair enough if it turns out it's a common problem, but at least wait until it's actually confirmed by more than one dude.

Another premature Era thread. It makes sense why there's not many female users...

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more likely to be a hardware fault than anything else. There's no way a game can push a console beyond 100%. If pushing your console to max causes it to overheat that sounds like a clogged fan or bad thermal paste job. Especially when there's plenty of people who have no issues.

If you are pushing 100% on all the fronts, mainly CPU and GPU. You can expect something similar from other games too, just that it can be hard to miss those situations in specific peak resource utilization in the middle of gameplay.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I've had no problems on X1X. No overheating, no stuttering, nothing. The fact that games can even shut down consoles points to a problem with the console itself or the system OS. At the beginning of the generation. Sony and Microsoft both talked up the way that games were isolated from the OS, if this is anything more than defective consoles, they should take the blame.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It isn't a game that particularly spins up the fans on my X - plenty of other games do far more, so it seems odd that it'd be causing overheating.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I do hope it's just a freak accident in your case. My old PS4 had issues coming back from rest mode, I thought it was dying, but when I replaced it with a pro, it did the same thing... but just once. So I dunno. It sounds like a damn jet engine though >_<
Had a similar issue with my Pro. Then the PSU died just after the warranty ran out... Had to pay 200€ to get it repaired...

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
It's actually one of few new games that doesn't heat up my PS4 Pro like crazy and makes it sound like jet engine.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 has my X feeling so hot I could probably cook on egg on it after an hour or so of continuous gaming.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, do console CPUs / GPUs have thermal throttling or are devs expected to code the game to spec, in such a way that it won't put an "unexpected" amount of stress on the hardware?

Like, if your PS4 fans are super clogged, would game performance suffer, or would the console just shut down?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make sense.
Even if the GPU and CPU were pushed 100%, the console shouldn't overheat.
Unless the actual physical design of the console is bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is amazing. The article is quoting one persons post on Reddit which makes an article. Which somehow turns into this thread. Lol. Not really swimming with facts here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My 1X had a crash and shut down completely which was. Uh. Not something I've ever seen before.

Coltd99

Nov 1, 2017
I have put in around 40 hours of BL3 gametime over the weekend and my base ps4 has been running fine. It will run warm, but it doesnt get that hot compared to other games like Call of Duty or RDR2. Call of Duty makes my room rise 10 degrees when I play it.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
LOL

So ONE random guy on Reddit makes a claim that the game made his console "overheat" and people go into a panic? Seriously? Until more people report similar findings, this is total bullshit. By now, we would have seen more people with the same issue.

Jesus fucking Christ...

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL

So ONE random guy on Reddit makes a claim that the game made his console "overheat" and people go into a panic? Seriously? Until more people report similar findings, this is total bullshit. By now, we would have seen more people with the same issue.

Jesus fucking Christ...

Got to join the hysteria though....

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how when a gaming PC overheats, nobody is dumb enough to blame the game that was being played at the time.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If someone made the console equivalent of FurMark then that's probably on the dev at that point.
Furmark doesn't overheat any of my components. The console maker has the responsibility to ensure all the power available can be used without endangering the system. Otherwise don't make the power available.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm no doctor, but if software manages to cause hardware to overheat, that seems like a hardware issue to me.
Components should only be able to draw that many W/heat from the PSU and the cooling system should be able to handle that.

Also you should try to stress the fuck out of your thing while it's in warranty. I did this accidentally with my 780 and got a free upgrade to a 970 out of it.
I recommend a mod that lets you fly fast over as detailed geometry as possible. The Nice Fly mod for GTA V did the trick for me, but that game's not as demanding these days. If I hadn't done that, this GPU which was clearly a botch job might've broke out of warranty.

I didn't have access to or tried many other games, but Horizon: Zero Dawn sure made my PS4 Pro want to give up. It didn't get to the point where it actually exploded like my 780 did, but you don't really want that to happen. The smell of burnt electronics is intense, like...that part of your home is now uninhabitable for X hours. Severe and/or frequent artifacting and the occasional soft or hard crash is enough to know that this hardware ain't no good.

What's good about something exploding though when it comes to PC, is that it becomes quite clear which component was the problem.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think it's more likely to be a hardware fault than anything else. There's no way a game can push a console beyond 100%. If pushing your console to max causes it to overheat that sounds like a clogged fan or bad thermal paste job. Especially when there's plenty of people who have no issues.

Yeah this. This sounds like bunk.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I've checked my Xbox One X during gameplay to see if it was running hot, and it wasn't even warm. Maybe it's affecting certain consoles differently?

Depends because one of my friends said Fallout 76 tricked his Xbox One X into thinking it was overheating and it kept shutting off but it was still very cool to the touch. Looks like this could be the case here with Borderlands 3.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Fortunately no breaking issues with mine on the Pro. Had a momentary audio issue with no gun sounds. A glitch with all of my gun barrels glowing permanently. Frame rate is all over, but mostly ok.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hm, playing on the PS4 Pro in performance mode, 30 something hours, and not a single crash so far. Fans are also not in maximum overdrive mode, like I've witnessed with many other games before.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
I've had 2 console shutdown yesterday. (Xbox One X) After restart, i played the game 6 hours.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I have almost 2 days playtime on Xbox one x, it has crashed me and my friends Xbox one x's dozens of times. Our other group member is playing on a base Xbox one and has not crashed once.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Strange, I just got around to playing Wolfenstein II on XOne X and the fan was constantly running quite loudly, but in approximately 3 long sessions of Borderlands 3 in resolution mode, I've barely heard a whisper from the console...

That said... Borderlands 3 did crash my Xbox last night when I attempted to boot up the game...