• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The total list of games pulled during this sale grows by one.

Borderlands 3 now joins: VTM Bloodlines 2, Oxygen Not Included, The Division 2, Anno 1800, and Watch Dogs 2 as not being part of the sale.

It also might explain why I couldn't find The Division 2 yesterday when I tried to use the EGS search feature. I legit thought their search function was just broken and I honestly didn't think twice about it because, well, let's face it...

This is some real amateur hour stuff here.
Ubisoft games were pulled for unrelated reasons before the sale was announced.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
The total list of games pulled during this sale grows by one.

Borderlands 3 now joins: VTM Bloodlines 2, Oxygen Not Included, The Division 2, Anno 1800, and Watch Dogs 2 as not being part of the sale.

It also might explain why I couldn't find The Division 2 yesterday when I tried to use the EGS search feature. I legit thought their search function was just broken and I honestly didn't think twice about it because, well, let's face it...

This is some real amateur hour stuff here.

Actually the Ubi games hasn't been purchasable since prior to the sale.

Well at least you can pre-order Borderlands 3 at Greenmangaming for regular price. Thank goodness for third party sites.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
here, not my image.

cPBJCGk.jpg
I wonder if they took it due to legal reasons like there is some kind of parity policy, which means that they would have lost those $10 bucks from the other sales on consoles and retailers.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
This sale is hella confusing. Now it's not worth buying anything for my region. Only a handful of games are on sale during this "Mega Sale".

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
And they're still getting paid 18 dollars. What's your point? They're getting paid the base price or base price + their own discount.
The point is that its aa massive discount for the folks in those region compared to anywhere else so it devalues the game and might be leading yo people using VPNs to get these very cheap versions though I don't know how valid the second point is

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
A new storefront using money to lure developers into releasing games on their platform?!

*faints*
You're complaining that they're being greedy. At least be consistent. They're jumping form the store because they think their games are being devalued, presumably this being the act that spawned the pricing changes of the discounts on the store.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
How do they not have a way for publishers to opt out of a sale?

Why should a publisher be able to opt out if it is not impacting their funds?

Best Buy doesn't need permission to pit something on sale for less than Target.

As long as Epic is paying full wholesale to publishers, any hit taken by Epic is not their concern.

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 days): off-topic drive-by trolling
Not sure what the big deal is anway. It's not like EGS would ever be able to deal in the same amount of racist apologia as Steam.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they took it due to legal reasons like there is some kind of parity policy, which means that they would have lost those $10 bucks from the other sales on consoles and retailers.

Doesn't make sense. Other games had been cheaper on EGS then they were on consoles prior to launch like metro.

Oct 25, 2017
How are comments like this still being made?

This isn't an absolute win for devs. Sure, you might see it as them gaining more sales, but that's only during this brief moment. After the sale, people will see the game as having that sale value rather than its MSRP.

If they see it as bad for them in the long run, then there's a legitimate reason for that. If this were as simple as, "it's free money!", then of course they'd be doing what's best for their pockets.

And once again, this all comes down to the publishers, not the developers.
And the solution for that is what they did today: The price displayed is what the devs set, the discount only applies on checkout. Then there's no issue of lower perceived values.

increasing prices and removing games is just scummy shit. Epic is taking the money from their own pockets, publishers have nothing to do with this. It's none of their business.

But of course, as always with EGS, no one thought things through before the sale, they're figuring things out as they go. It's a shitshow.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft games were pulled for unrelated reasons before the sale was announced.
Actually the Ubi games hasn't been purchasable since prior to the sale.

Well at least you can pre-order Borderlands 3 at Greenmangaming for regular price. Thank goodness for third party sites.
Good to know, thanks.

Any idea what those reasons are? I had only searched for them during the sale and figured it was related to this.

Oct 25, 2017

As long as Epic is paying full wholesale to publishers, any hit taken by Epic is not their concern.
we dont actually know what kinds of deals publishers have in place. We do know that publishers forced out the gamers club unlocked and amazon discounts though, so its very possible there are price parity deals in place, at least for launch and pre release, that we dont know about.

I gotta find the receipts again on the GCU thing

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

There's a good deal of truth here. But arguing this point for Epic, which made a big thing about listening to devs and pubs for their store... Ummm. It's hard to square the two.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

This isn't an absolute win for devs. Sure, you might see it as them gaining more sales, but that's only during this brief moment. After the sale, people will see the game as having that sale value rather than its MSRP.

If they see it as bad for them in the long run, then there's a legitimate reason for that. If this were as simple as, "it's free money!", then of course they'd be doing what's best for their pockets.

This post doesn't make any sense. Greed has nothing to do with their decision. If this was straight up just an easy way for the publisher to make more money, of course they would do it. It's clearly not that simple. If Epic made every game on the store free and ate the cost of MSRP on every sale, of course every publisher would jump on that train.
If that was the reason they shouldnt have put on the ES first, the game already loses value both from a price point, since games are cheaper there, and from a marketing point since theres a large pool of users wont the ES in any way.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that its aa massive discount for the folks in those region compared to anywhere else so it devalues the game and might be leading yo people using VPNs to get these very cheap versions though I don't know how valid the second point is

You can't just use a VPN to buy on other regions. You also need a local payment method

I'm only going to give you the publishers =/= developers thing. People don't stop buying games on the others platforms after a sale. Thinking that's the reason why this happens is stupid. It's purely pettiness.

Zantagor

Jan 29, 2019
Montreal

Actually, in most cases a store front has to have the OK from the provider to discount pre-order items. Especially is said provider is into a price parity contract (which is usually the case with AAA titles on consoles), which can then lead to contract breach and litigation for the publisher.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, thanks.

Any idea what those reasons are? I had only searched for them during the sale and figured it was related to this.
They are having issues with the uplay handshake integration. Since it's something that you have to do the first time you boot a uplay game on EGS. But once that's done people can play as normal...even without using Epic store and just launch it from uplay. Which is why people who already own those games can still use them. It's just the initial handshake that activates the game on uplay is what's causing issues. So they disabled new purchases.

As you can see here, the games are on the website just not searchable or ordinarily visible. If you try to buy them then you'll get an error since the purchases were disabled for it since before the sale. The issue will most likely be fixed before the sale ends.

S9u4uh6.png

4UOfuxI.png

4o56SfT.png

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ghost-recon-breakpoint/home
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-division-2/home
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/anno-1800/home

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The best part is that they can't remove a game from the sale. It has to be delisted.

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Good to know, thanks.

I mentioned it in the OP, but it is reportedly an issue with the Epic Store/uPlay integration. I didn't see any more details than that.

It's feasible that this issue could be fixed before the end of the sale (June 13th), but we'll have to wait and see.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
This whole EGS sale saga has been so bizarre and interesting, never imagined a sale could go so sideways in this manner.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Good grief, how do you fuck up a simple sale so badly?!

Doesn't seem like some developers want their customers receiving discounts of any kind. This is why I honestly don't give a damn about their cuts.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info about the Ubisoft and Uplay issues. I already edited my first post to make sure I wasn't adding needlessly to the discourse.

I mentioned it in the OP, but it is reportedly an issue with the Epic Store/uPlay integration. I didn't see any more details than that.

It's feasible that this issue could be fixed before the end of the sale (June 13th), but we'll have to wait and see.

I need to figure out why I've been having this issue in Chrome where not everything loads properly when I view threads. Been having this for over a week now and it did it again with yours. Never even saw the part where you talked about the Uplay thing until I refreshed it. Sorry.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
What a clusterfuck. The fact that they can't just take something off sale they have to delist it is so bizarre.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
From a press release: "Also, for every game purchase over $14.99, Epic Games is providing an additional $10 off to players at no cost to the publisher or developer."

Curious if devs actually were affected by the $10 discount after all?

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but the first point still stands especially with the discounts being extremely lopsided.

Again, they're getting paid the same. It doesn't even matter if the discounts are lopsided when they get paid the same. People still buys games after every sale period on every single platform on the industry.

Imagine companies taking games out of Steam during the Chinese New Year sales because Valve also gave additional discounts. Or companies taking out products out of every store that has a membership where you can use points to add additional discounts. It's plain pettiness. Not even being greedy, because, as I said, getting paid the same.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Doesn't make sense. Other games had been cheaper on EGS then they were on consoles prior to launch like metro.
Then I will assume that it was what I thought before, that Epic did not tell the publishers that it was going to include the pre-orders, the publishers didn't like it for some legal reason not known to us and the Epic store lacks the ability to disable such promotion per game which has forced them to disable selling the game on the store for the time being.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, they're getting paid the same. It doesn't even matter if the discounts are lopsided when they get paid the same. People still buys games after every sale period on every single platform on the industry.

Imagine companies taking games out of Steam during the Chinese New Year sales because Valve also gave additional discounts. Or companies taking out products out of every store that has a membership where you can use points to add additional discounts. It's plain pettiness. Not even being greedy, because, as I said, getting paid the same.
but what if these companies are required to maintain price parity for all versions pre-release?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
From a press release: "Also, for every game purchase over $14.99, Epic Games is providing an additional $10 off to players at no cost to the publisher or developer."

Curious if devs actually were affected by the $10 discount after all?
Someone posted a John Wick Hex dev tweet that stated Epic were footing the $/£/€10 bill.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Seems like Epic bit off a bit more than they could chew with EGS. They didn't go through the growing pains that the other stores did. They just tried to go from step 4 to step 20 in an effort to catch up.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
but what if these companies are required to maintain price parity for all versions pre-release?
This has is not something that happens. The existence of GMG and CDkeys relies on not having this price parity requirement.
The post discount price of BL3 on EGS was the same as GMG price after discount in several regions, including cheap regions like India. So they were already selling those games for that price there (and STILL ARE), and they make less money off GMG copies than they do on EGS copies since GMG takes 30% cut and uses that for the discount while Epic is footing the bill for this sale while devs/pubs still get 88% cut.

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bo...ve-been-suspended.117650/page-2#post-20885776

--R

Oct 25, 2017

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019

Not really since those discounts are rate based and so don't really mess with the whole regional pricing thing? In this specific case, it shouldnt be that hard to see why a company wouldn't want their game to be sold at 60%+ discount in places b e f o r e release even. There's more factors at play at times than just how much it costs them to do the sale.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
The best part is that they can't remove a game from the sale. It has to be delisted.
That explains it. I thought why not just say "most games are $10 off" instead of all.

So the featureset is not ready yet to do this.
Normally you don't discount on your own behalf, if you don't sell your own product or service.