• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
because they're showing the steam forums as a whole are generally the go to place for tech solutions on most games
But they aren't. Reddit is the number one used forums for games. By far.

I'm not saying Epic shouldn't have forums. They should. 100% should.
But it's stupid for people to use steam forums for games that aren't even on steam. Just use reddit or the official forums.
Most of the posts on the steam forums for BL3 are troll posts anyways.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Because Steam forums are always the first results when you are looking for issues about games on Steam? (Assuming they have a steam page)
And in this case BL3 isn't on steam so it's not what pops up in a google search, thus it's stupid for people to use it. They should just use reddit or the official forums.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
i don't remember the last time i left a review for anything

but im glad we're focusing on the right stuff here

Thread is about gamers going to the wrong place for support.
There is a free to use and supported community forum for Borderlands 3.

Your response to this is, why should I use the official forum for the game when there is an unofficial forum for a different game....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Only people who don't use Steam forums that'd say something like that.

There's a reason why most game-related questions are showing Steam forums (and Reddit) on the top Google search results nowadays.

But yes, there are toxic users there, undeniably. But which place in the Internet that doesn't have them? Even Era is not free from toxicity. If you look for them, you'll find them anywhere.

Pretty much. Easy to ignore obvious trolls that are usually only present when new games launch.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But they aren't. Reddit is the number one used forums for games. By far.
Nah, Steam Forums definately take the #1 spot when it comes to support for games. By far.
Steam Forums are basically #1, #2 and #3. After that you have probably Discord and after that comes Reddit.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unmoderated Steam forums are legitimate trash, fuck that. I avoid there at all costs even when I am playing a game on Steam.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Sure you can use that, but Steam forums are way more useful than developers forum and they are always the ones that appear quickly on google if you need help about something.

Google: "borderlands 2 low fps" and the first result is a thread from Steam forums.

And a quick google search of "borderlands 3 fps issues" shows the official forums as the first result...

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Unmoderated Steam forums are legitimate trash, fuck that. I avoid there at all costs even when I am playing a game on Steam.
Good for you! The worst posts I see on the Steam forums are about of the same toxicity as this forum but good for you that you keep finding them!

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
And a quick google search of "borderlands 3 fps issues" shows the official forums as the first result...

Read my post.

Of course a game with NO STEAM PAGE will show another result.

Google: "x game issues" and you will find the steam forums as the first result (assuming the game is on Steam)

PR5gIAc.png

vaemmSR.png

cnNLX88.png

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Read my post.

Of course a game with NO STEAM PAGE will show another result.

Google: "x game issues" and you will find the steam forums as the first result (assuming the game is on Steam)

PR5gIAc.png

vaemmSR.png

cnNLX88.png

I mean sure, but that doesn't make the official forums automatically worse. People will have tech issues and they will find a place to seek help. There are alternatives to everything.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
They could, it would be fine if they did.

There are also a number of sources for this including the mentioned official forum or the subreddit which also suffice as similar wastelands to the Steam forums.

This is about the least significant thing to take issue with.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for you! The worst posts I see on the Steam forums are about of the same toxicity as this forum but good for you that you keep finding them!
Wow, you're kidding, right? Is everyone forgetting what happened when AC:Origins was announced?
To give you a feel for the scale of the influx, there has been an upward of 100 pages of threads with bigoted spam and trolling. All of these have been posted in the last 24 hours.
Screen-Shot-2017-08-29-at-10.03.02.png
But oh, please continue to explain how its not that bad compared to any other forum

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Wow, you're kidding, right? Is everyone forgetting what happened when AC:Origins was announced?

But oh, please continue to explain how its not that bad compared to any other forum

I've also seen the steam forums used for random outrage as well, plenty of times barely related to the game in question.

So no, they aren't this mythical place that everyone must have.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean, a shopping cart is a Herculean task for Epic . . . why would you expect forums?

Nah, Steam Forums definately take the #1 spot when it comes to support for games. By far.
Steam Forums are basically #1, #2 and #3. After that you have probably Discord and after that comes Reddit.

Indeed, especially for non AAA niche games. You get an answer on your questions pretty much immediately. It's a boon to the community.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Can't really blame them. Most people probably already have an account and Steam forums are extremely high traffic so it's probably the best way to get eyeballs on your tech issues.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

the article you posted even says that was essentially a raid from 4chan and reddit (which apparently we're supposed to use as an alternative according to this thread) and links to a long post on reddit with people continuing tons of racist slurs and talking about how mods are banning people on steam as fast as they can

you can't find any of those threads or users anymore because they were deleted and banned respectively

unlike that reddit page of course which is still proudly up

so which one is supposed to be worse again?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
the article you posted even says that was essentially a raid from 4chan and reddit (which apparently we're supposed to use as an alternative according to this thread) and links to a long post on reddit with people continuing tons of racist slurs and talking about how mods are banning people as fast as they can

you can't find any of those threads or users anymore because they were deleted and banned respectively

unlike that reddit page of course which is still proudly up

so which one is supposed to be worse again?
This was something I saw recently.

Some pretty nasty comments in this thread. And yeah it's locked now, but that was after 8 friggen pages of discussion. Steam forums aren't bad, but they sure can suck at times.

Its not really that straight forward. It really depends on the game. Check for example path of exile support search results on google.
First are reddit posts, then official forums, 3rd are steam forums.

Yep, just checked Tera as well. First two results are the official forums and nvidia. Then it's steam.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Steam could do with more/better options for ignoring problematic users. You can block a user from their profile but it doesn't do the best job at hiding their posts and the threads they start, including the first post, remain visible.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
What does a handful of shitposts have to do with the Steam forums being a great place to get help with various issues?

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, just checked Tera as well. First two results are the official forums and nvidia. Then it's steam.

Its not really that straight forward. It really depends on the game. Check for example path of exile support search results on google.
First are reddit posts, then official forums, 3rd are steam forums.

F2P and MMO games like Path of Exile and Tera (TERA joined Steam YEARS after the release) have dedicated fanbases that are active outside Steam. of course Steam forums are not the main "source of discussions" compared to SP games and other MP titles.

Online/MP games with dedicated fanbases will stick to reddit and official forums for their problems and discussion, but this doesn't meant that Steam forums are not useful for them, if you google FF XIV or Siege problems, you will find reddit and steam forums options.

Last edited:

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

That's not what I said though. I said that I (ME!!!!) haven't seen anything like that for very long you know? Nothing on Gears 5 forum, Spyro, Siege etc...
I'm not saying what happened on Origins forum was OK at all but they've cleaned it up and I personally haven't seen something that widespread ever.
Speaking of MY experiences with the Steam forums.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean the forums can be useful and EGS is lacking in features but let's not pretend like steam community isn't absolutely rotten with gamergaters, anti-SJW shitheads, and outright white nationalists

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Steam forums are the best place for troubleshooting, with PC Gaming Wiki a close second. Epic's stance towards forums shows that they lack the fundamental understanding of what customers need.

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
I mean sure, but that doesn't make the official forums automatically worse. People will have tech issues and they will find a place to seek help. There are alternatives to everything.

I think the argument is the store forums are what people prefer to use. There's a link to it in the same client you use to launch the game, you already have an account. Steam forums for games are usually more active than the developer's own hosted forums.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
This was something I saw recently.

Some pretty nasty comments in this thread. And yeah it's locked now, but that was after 8 friggen pages of discussion. Steam forums aren't bad, but they sure can suck at times.
no one's saying they're perfect

that thread had to have a valve employee lock it too

they give a lot of power to devs to police their own boards and i imagine it could be extremely overwhelming for an indie dev to try and police it on their own. youd need some good mods you could trust.

knowing big games like gears they probably throw one community manager on there and call it a day again making it very difficult to make sure the trash is taken out

valve could and should employ site wide moderators that could help all of these and enforce stricter rules on the boards which would make it better (which im pretty sure they said a few months ago that this is what they are doing)

so yeah sometimes they have some bad stuff on there, that should be dealt with, but acting like it's some nazi recruitment site or stormfront then pointing to reddit as if that's any better is completely ridiculous (I'm not saying you were doing this btw)

they are very useful in so many cases and anyone saying otherwise i would believe has very little experience using them

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
GOG users have been doing that for years, and they have their own forums.

The Steam forums are awful, but they're also usually the most active.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i mean the forums can be useful and EGS is lacking in features but let's not pretend like steam community isn't absolutely rotten with gamergaters, anti-SJW shitheads, and outright white nationalists
reddit literally breeds and spreads all of these hate groups, hosting some of their largest pages (Kia and t_d) and people are saying we should use them instead in this thread

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
F2P and MMO games like Path of Exile and Tera (TERA joined Steam YEARS after the release) have dedicated fanbases that are active outside Steam. of course Steam forums are not the main "source of discussions" compared to SP games and other MP titles.
Isnt this a selective definition? I mean, it just shows that it depends on the game. There is no 'perfect solution', it just depends on case to case basis.

---
Which is easier and more practical in your opinion? Registering on each individual game's official forums or accessing Steam's forums with one click straight fro m the client? Do you really think that registering on multiple forums is a realistic option for people with 100+ games on their accounts?
Isnt this case also covered on reddit? :>

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Why not just use the borderlands forum?

Or Reddit? Of all the complaints people have about EGS, forums might be one of the most "whatever" ones.

Having said that, it's definitely nice to have something built into the app like Steam does that just lets you quickly reference a resource dedicated to specific games but I don't think forums are the solution. As someone who only goes into the Steam forums to find workarounds to problems and such I would rather EGS just have the Community Guides stuff that Steam has (which not enough people take advantage of!) than forums.

Steam forums are like GFAQs forums: good for getting information on how to fix a problem (or something along those lines) but not generally where you want to go for good discussions. I feel like EGS forgoing forums in favor of community guides would solve this issue for me.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Isnt this a selective definition? I mean, it just shows that it depends on the game. There is no 'perfect solution', it just depends on case to case basis.

---

Isnt this case also covered on reddit? :>

Is it? Do a search for a random game's issues or bugs and see for yourself. In any case, that poster's argument about using the official forums is simply not realistic.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand what the thread is trying to say. steam forums pop up in searches because steam holds the majority of the pc market share, the majority of games are played on steam, and they are one of the first places ppl will go for technical advice, all of this being x years in the making (i dunno when steam discussions first popped up, I don't think it was there on launch). Before steam discussions existed there were other alternatives, and those alternatives still existed while steam surged in popularity.

Are we saying that lack of access to one of the most popular forms of diy tech support (made popular in very large part due to steam being the defacto game launcher for a long ass time) is some sort of negative when alternatives still exist? Is the fact that I have to go to gog forums instead of a steam page so I can figure out stuff about OG Baldurs Gate 2 some sort of negative? AFAIK, steam forums are the top searches purely because 1. Pretty much everyone uses steam over other things, 2. Because Valve offers this as a service, there is less of a need for devs to make/pay for their own forums, and 3. it redirects users from other alternatives like pcgamingwiki or reddit by virtue of being adjacent to the user and the game by existing within the same launcher. So to this end, to me the reliance that ppl seem to have on steam discussions was largely created by the enormity of steam + it's ease of use since it is the de facto pc store. All this really means to me is that ppl and devs have an unhealthy reliance on steam and certain features, and that games that do not want to use steam will just suffer? I dunno.

I think we all agree that EGS is a lesser product than Steam with less features, but the idea that ppl will go to the BL2 steam forums rather than the gearbox forums really seems kind of unhealthy to me and is imo a good snapshot of the hold valve has on the pc market currently.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Yeah, lets not pretend they're (the garbage peoples referred to on Steam forums) not everywhere on the internet and just in Steam forums. You know, like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, here on ResetEra, places like 8chan where THQ Nordic (who are partnered with Epic to release games on EGS) likes to go, the White House....

But no but lets just point at Steam forums that are supposed to be firstly moderated by the games developers as the only source of these things.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
My stance on this will never change: Platform/Launcher based forums are essential for ensuring long-term playability of older, less popular titles. Sure, it'll probably never really matter that much for something like Borderlands 3, because people will find a good place for discussion about Borderlands 3's tech issues. But take a game like Prey 2006. It'll never have an official forum again. It's not available for purchase, so the community for it will always be incredibly small. But to this day you can go on its Steam forum and find answers for every single tech issue people have. Because the discussion board being attached to the launcher acts as a magnet for both people with issues and people with solutions.

It's not super popular games like Borderlands 3 that we need the Steam forums for. It's games where the developers eventually fold, the community shrinks, and every other outlet disappears that we need something like the Steam forums for.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
But no but lets just point at Steam forums that are supposed to be firstly moderated by the games developers as the only source of these things.
The moderation problem is a legit conundrum for Steam though (as well as Facebook and the rest of the Internet). The main advantage for to Steam forums for developers is that they're hosted for free by Valve using Steam, developers don't have to spin up their own XenoForo server or something. But, a dev who doesn't have the resources to host a self-contained forum probably doesn't have the resources to constantly monitor it.

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Epic spending millions for exclusives, but not prioritizing fundamental infrastructure that their competitor has had for years. Interesting strategy.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Are you implying everyone posting on Reddit or Gearbox forums aren't part of these? lol

Every community outside Era is full of anti-sjw, gger people.

Status
Not open for further replies.