• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
runs well on my 8700K/1080ti @ 1440p and 60 locked. Vsync on in the nvidia control panel, 60fps cap (I always have to reset this in-game for it to stick). Latest drivers and DX12. Turned down the last two video options to high instead of ultra. Takes about 2 minutes at the 'claptrap dancing' screen for the game to fully load. Played for about 3 hours just fine so far.

Code:
BenchmarkResults                    2019-09-13_19-42-31
- FramesPerSecondAvg:              59.72
- FrameTimeMsAvg:                  16.75

- Version:                         Build 18362
GraphicsAPI:                        D3D12
CPU:                                Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
- PhysicalCores:                   6
- LogicalCores:                    12
RAM:                                16321.70 MB
GPU:                                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- VRAM:                            11128 / 0 / 8161 MB (Dedicated / System / Shared)
- DriverVersion:                   436.30 (Internal: 26.21.14.3630, Unified: 436.30)
- DriverDate:                      9-5-2019
ScreenResolution:                   2560x1440
RenderResolution:                   2560x1440
ScreenPercentage:                   100
HDR:                                Off

GameUserSettings
- FullscreenMode:                  Fullscreen
- UseVSync:                        0
- PreferredMonitor:                DELA0D1
- bPrimaryIsPreferredMonitor:      1
- PreferredRefreshRate:            0
- StatsLevel:                      2
- FPSLimit:                        Custom
- FPSLimitCustom:                  60
- GfxQuality-Override:             Undefined
- GfxQuality-Recommended:          Ultra
- GfxQuality:                      Ultra
- TextureStreaming:                Ultra
- MaterialQuality:                 Ultra
- Aniso:                           SixteenX
- Shadows:                         Ultra
- EnvTexDetail:                    Ultra
- DrawDistance:                    Ultra
- EnvironmentDetail:               Ultra
- Terrain:                         Ultra
- Foliage:                         Ultra
- CharTexDetail:                   Ultra
- CharDetail:                      Ultra
- CAS:                             1
- CameraBlur:                      1
- ObjectBlur:                      1
- AA:                              Temporal
- VolumetricFog:                   High
- SSR:                             High
- AO:                              Ultra

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone can inform me if the game offers options to customize the hud? Like no enemies health bars and even the hit numbers.....

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
Done some testing to see if I could sort out the hitching and smoothness issues.

- Locked FPS is quite a bit better than runing gsync variable framerate. Variable fps can introduce microstutter.
- DX12 is much better than DX11. You're looking at a near 90% improvement here. There is still hitching occasionally, but its much less frequent.
- However, DX12 is very unstable and can crash for a myriad of reasons. Its crashed while loading, equpping guns, menu navigation, entering a vehicle. Trying the Control Flow Guard-thing in Windows Exploit Guard now to see if that sorts it.
- Volumetric lighting and materials to medium as has been suggested is a big boost to minimum FPS.
- Fullscreen is better than windowed borderless for hitching issues even in DX12. Very slightly though.
- Ultra texture streaming is superior to the others, its a bit smoother.
- CPU utilization is low overall, but better in DX12. GPU utilization in DX12 is vastly superior, hence the improvements in framerate people are seeing there.

The main issue that needs to be sorted is DX12 crashing. The occasional hithing and unsmoothness in DX12 I suspect will not be fixed, Borderlands 1 and 2 had similar issues (Gearbox just cant get their heads around UE texture streaming it seems) and they were never sorted, but improvement with texture streaming cfg edits. I can't find anywhere to edit this in BL3.

Hoping for a patch soon anyway, would be great if the DX12 renderer was actually completed before shipping the damn game..

Forgot to add my rig:
2080, bit overclocked
2700x, stock
16GB DDR4
M2 SSD
Gsync

Testing in 1440p, most settings on high, volumetric/shadows/reflections/materials on medium, streaming on ultra. About 100 FPS average, running locked 90 via RTSS as that helps.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I found out that reducing the render resolution actually affects the shader that draws the black outlines. At 75% of 1440P (so 1080P) the black outlines become thin to nonexistent (unless the texture itself has black lines drawn in but that's different). It doesn't make much sense that this would happen even on objects that are close to you thereby taking up a large screen real estate meaning there's plenty of information available even at the lower resolution. Some comparisons (tab the images to compare, particularly notice the areas around the gun and other objects):

Native 1440P:
S7bbjcM.jpg

75% 1440P (1080P)
ZB9UgkL.jpg

1440P Native:
zBGNm2A.jpg

75% 1440P:

cAVmyga.jpg

Some other observations I've made:
1) There seems to be literally no observable difference between materials quality at medium, high or ultra. But going from medium to ultra is a 10-12FPS hit. I've taken tons of screenshots and done direct comparisons and I can't find anything. Seems to be the most useless setting in the game...as long as it's medium. Low changes the materials and you lose the "PBR look" somewhat in places.

2) Volumetric ultra to high is like a 4-5FPS increase, with a difference that's only perceptible in side by side comparison and even there it's so minute that you'll only notice the difference at the source of the volumetric cone. Medium will net you about 15FPS increase over ultra and it's mostly the same story in terms of quality i.e. you'll notice a blurrier and chunkier "source" of the cone but the actual cone itself remains pretty much the same in terms of stability and flickering even if it's lower resolution. Basically it's not like Gears 5 where increasing volumetric settings result in noticeable improvements in stability and sharpness. And it's just not worth the hit given how close medium and ultra volumetric look.

3) Most other settings don't really provide much improvement in FPS or quality unless you put them on low straight away.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm so confused but happy! Here are my specs and what happened between yesterday and today:

Ryzen 7 3800x
GTX 1080ti gigabyte
32GB g.skill ripjaws DDR4 ram
SSD HP ex920
playing on a KS8000 TV

So I was originally able to get 4K locked 30, or 1440p with everything maxed out. Expectedly I couldn't do 4K max over 30 or at least not 60.
I forgot I had not updated my gpu driver so this morning I did that, loaded the game,
And I'm getting locked 60fps at 4K with all settings maxed?!?!?!

I mean....updating the drivers did that? I can't believe I'm running the game on these settings and now magically holding 60fps? Is something wrong? Lol
Anyways it's been wonderful today and I guess I'm just happy and feel lucky that whatever changed has upgraded performance a LOT.

I did just have my first crash to desktop though lol.

I'm using DX11 - should I switch to 12? No idea which is better I saw the tag on dx12 and decided not to risk it

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I think DX12 does give me improved performance on my 2080ti. Maybe around 10%. Will need to do a proper benchmark on both DX11 and DX12. CPU usage is pretty low nearly all the time which is good for my laptop. But I do notice judder, is it? Gears 5 is super smooth nearly all the time but with Borderlands 3 I feel there's a constant stutter or judder to the frames. It's not horrible but it is noticeable, particularly if I pan slowly. Generally the game seems to run quite well, except the bloody menu bug where I can't select anything with my controller sometimes and cutscenes looking weird in 21:9.
Edit: Oh, alt/tab in DX12 crashes the game and I swear it crashed (it's crashed a few times including crashing EGS too) and rebooted my PC once...maybe. I didn't actually see it happen I just had the game on pause whilst I was AFK and next thing I see is the Windows logo. Maybe I had an update?

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
Done some testing to see if I could sort out the hitching and smoothness issues.

- Locked FPS is quite a bit better than runing gsync variable framerate. Variable fps can introduce microstutter.
- DX12 is much better than DX11. You're looking at a near 90% improvement here. There is still hitching occasionally, but its much less frequent.
- However, DX12 is very unstable and can crash for a myriad of reasons. Its crashed while loading, equpping guns, menu navigation, entering a vehicle. Trying the Control Flow Guard-thing in Windows Exploit Guard now to see if that sorts it.
- Volumetric lighting and materials to medium as has been suggested is a big boost to minimum FPS.
- Fullscreen is better than windowed borderless for hitching issues even in DX12. Very slightly though.
- Ultra texture streaming is superior to the others, its a bit smoother.
- CPU utilization is low overall, but better in DX12. GPU utilization in DX12 is vastly superior, hence the improvements in framerate people are seeing there.

The main issue that needs to be sorted is DX12 crashing. The occasional hithing and unsmoothness in DX12 I suspect will not be fixed, Borderlands 1 and 2 had similar issues (Gearbox just cant get their heads around UE texture streaming it seems) and they were never sorted, but improvement with texture streaming cfg edits. I can't find anywhere to edit this in BL3.

Hoping for a patch soon anyway, would be great if the DX12 renderer was actually completed before shipping the damn game..

Forgot to add my rig:
2080, bit overclocked
2700x, stock
16GB DDR4
M2 SSD
Gsync

Testing in 1440p, most settings on high, volumetric/shadows/reflections/materials on medium, streaming on ultra. About 100 FPS average, running locked 90 via RTSS as that helps.

Tried your settings and played a bit with it. It plays smoother 100% but the hitching/stuttering is still there tho, just not that often anymore. Thank you for this :P
It appears that i get the stutter when i look over the text hud from syringe/shield items especially, no matter if dx11 or dx12, the screen freezes for a sec literally.
In DX12 my RAM usage goes up to like 14.5GB over time, thats hillarious. Will play a bit more to see how it goes but its a step forward atleast.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else experiencing desync issues when playing in groups of 3 or more? You see the other players stuttering/teleporting all over the place, and eventually it gives you a "Disconnected from game" message.

I've also been running ping tests on a second monitor while playing BL3 - It's definitely not the internet connection. I've tested other games directly afterwards, and everything is 100%.

Installed the latest 436.30 Nvidia driver (and tried rolling back to 436.15), but it didn't fix the issue. I'm using a 1070. FPS is also not an issue - using a combination of Medium/High settings, and getting a consistent 50-60 FPS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Ive entirely fixed fps issues by running the game on Steam with overlay up which essentially kills the online part of BL 3, so ya know, not perfect of a solution but much better than current state

If anybody is interested :

Took me 3 mins to figure out the Epic userid which is : This PC > Documents > My Games > Borderlands 3 > Saved > Save games > whatever hexadecimal suite you're now looking at as a name of folder

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Should I wait for a Dx12 patch before playing?
This sounds bad.

If I didn't already activate my key (GMG). I would get the PS4 version. I chose better performance over friends :(

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Does this game have the same kind of crazy particles, cloth, and fluids that BL2 had with PhysX?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ive entirely fixed fps issues by running the game on Steam with overlay up which essentially kills the online part of BL 3, so ya know, not perfect of a solution but much better than current state

If anybody is interested :

Took me 3 mins to figure out the Epic userid which is : This PC > Documents > My Games > Borderlands 3 > Saved > Save games > whatever hexadecimal suite you're now looking at as a name of folder

What correlation is there for the overlay to disable online and fix the FPS? o.o

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Runs beautifully on my new machine, but out of nowhere now I need to double click items in all menus. It's weird AF

theslb

Nov 15, 2017
OMG same here. I just noticed it today the car is suuuuper blurred out when driving and I have motion blues turned off. I thought there was something wrong with the game it was so weird!
There are two options of blurr in settings and i disable it but the same hapens the car and even the guns are blurr.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
What correlation is there for the overlay to disable online and fix the FPS? o.o

im pretty sure its about not being online, it really solved all my issues. im getting some normal fps drops in very heavy scenes

try playing the game with your ethernet / wifi disabled

I9 9900k and 2080ti combo how does it handle 4k?

You'll get 40 fps in ultra at 1440p so

Oct 27, 2017
Do we still not know what material complexity (above low) does? Any chance it affects things like the destructibility of environments and perhaps that's why it's not easy to see with comparisons?

Dictator any thoughts? Seems like this setting has a major impact yet when put above low, there is no discernible difference...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else gotten better results with a 980ti? The game has FPS issues no matter what its at overall, even everything set to completely low. CPU is a 6700K as well. I ant asking for Ultra at 1080p60 but like 20 minutes in and this seems to run terribly. Updated drivers and everything, doesn't seem to matter.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having some pretty consistent crashes after killing certain enemies. Usually they're the one that drop a lot of loot. Like once they die, the game immediately crashes to desktop. It's the weirdest thing, and the game is currently unplayable for me.

I have a pretty solid rig too. I even lowered the settings to medium, but still the same thing.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
My DX12 performance is so much more stable, am getting a very stable 60fps in 1800p with all maxed out minus the Volumetric lighting, materials and blur.
This is on 2080 and 7800X.

Haven't played enough with those settings on so this may change, but yeah, the same heavy fight area was so much smoother on DX12 even with more sittings maxed out.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware unboxed at it again with the best performance guide. They break down every effect and performance cost they take. Good way to get a boost losing little visual quality.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
The performance difference between DX11 and DX12 on my 2080Ti is bananas. On DX11 I was averaging 103 in the benchmark @ 1440p with everything at Ultra except for Volumetric Fog and Material Complexity. With those same settings on DX12, that average jumped to 122.5.

Something else I noticed, which probably explains the gulf in performance, is that while benchmarking in DX11, my GPU utilization was only around 65 - 80% the entire time. DX12? Never dropped below 93% and stayed around 99% most of the time. Not sure what to make of that, and DX12 does seem to introduce more stuttering for me, at least in the benchmark, but performance-wise there's just no contest.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Do we still not know what material complexity (above low) does? Any chance it affects things like the destructibility of environments and perhaps that's why it's not easy to see with comparisons?

Dictator any thoughts? Seems like this setting has a major impact yet when put above low, there is no discernible difference...
Even if that were the case it wouldn't be a straight hit to FPS all the time. I'm really interested in knowing what it does.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
The performance difference between DX11 and DX12 on my 2080Ti is bananas. On DX11 I was averaging 103 in the benchmark @ 1440p with everything at Ultra except for Volumetric Fog and Material Complexity. With those same settings on DX12, that average jumped to 122.5.

Something else I noticed is that while benchmarking in DX11, my GPU utilization was only around 65 - 85% the entire time. DX12? Never dropped below 93% and stayed around 99% most of the time. Not sure what to make of that, and DX12 does seem to introduce more stuttering for me, at least in the benchmark, but performance-wise there's no contest.
For me it's opposite I have less stuttering with DX12 on RTX2080

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

I am honestly not going to do a super duper deep dive with this game so I may not find anything here without spending many more hours than I care to spend on this game.

If I find something, I will mention it, but like you and Nooblet I will probably find nothing.

If I were to bet, it probably has to do with material layering or... idk.

This is one of those rare cases where I genuinely do not like this series of games at all and covering it is a chore. And it is the weekend...
For me it's opposite I have less stuttering with DX12 on RTX2080

DX12, beyond the load time, is just better on that card and a CPU config I found. GPU limited it is slower, but the frametimes are better.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Two things that helped me a lot, disconnect from the Internet to reduce stuttering and use an older nvidia driver so your doesn't sound like it is dieing anymore.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gsync is definitely busted with this game. I've tested all manner of settings, funnily enough it plays best with frame limiter set to 60fps (no vsync) on DX12 renderer. Or in DX11 in Windowed Full Screen (with Gsync only set to full screen in the nvidia panel).

Splurge

Nov 2, 2017
I noticed with DX12 the CPU frame timing is a lot lower which does help out a lot with some scene but overall at least in the benchmark gave me about 10 - 14 fps average increase.

Does have the insane load time on starting though.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Rtx 2080 oc
I5 8600k oc
16ddr4
Installed on SSD

Playing at 1440p with all settings at ultra except complexity material and volumetric fog set to medium on dx11. Just played for about 30 minutes and I've tried aiming down sights and using scopes with the guns I've found and I have no issues what so ever while getting anywhere from 90-120 fps

No stuttering nor any frame pacing.

I'll have to see what my performance is like as I go deeper and maybe with dx12.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
DX12 performance is a lot better for me, but lead to some weird issues.
Had a completely white screen twice, while the UI was still visible and the game was still running behind the white layer.
I managed to solve that issue once by going into the map screen, but when I came out there were enormous lights embedded in the bottom of my screen, which made me reboot the game anyway to fix them. Paired with the silly loading when booting in DX12, this made me just go back to 11 and lower a few settings for the same FPS gain. Hopefully they come out with a patch soon.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing about the superior Dx12 performance made me want to give it a try. The moment I clicked "continue" on the main menu the game driver crashed.

I don't want to wait for 3-4 minutes to boot the game only for it to crash often. So back to Dx11 even if it runs worse.

beeswax

Oct 30, 2017
Not well. Usually an average of 40-50 fps on ultra. Didn't try and turn down any settings. Just went straight to 1440p and it bumps up to about 80-90 fps on average.
All you need to do is drop Volumetric Fog down to Medium. I'm so close to 4k60 with "just" an 8700k/1080Ti but to even out the odd dip to 55, I dropped to 75% res (1620p). So with your specs, 4k60 is a breeze once that problematic setting is dropped.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Wondering if anyone made it to meridian/lecta city yet?

1440p all ultra except materials and fog on medium. Was humming along at 60 no issues but now I'm in the mid 40s....

6700K/1080ti