• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking about playing a second character after I finish the game with Fl4k, and I'm really interested in Amara, especially her melee build. But I have some questions for people that have tried that:
- Can you survive against ennemies and bosses with a build focused on melee if you play solo?
- Do you always attack with melee and action skill or do you still have to use guns?
- I'm wondering how it is possible to beat some bosses like
Katagawa Jr because he sometime is on a tower you can't access, or the Gravewarden because he's far from the platform where you stand.

Getting a Face Puncher shotgun makes it easier since it scales off your melee damage bonuses. That way when you literally can't get close enough to punch a guy, you can still deal ranged bonus damage based on your melee build.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking about playing a second character after I finish the game with Fl4k, and I'm really interested in Amara, especially her melee build. But I have some questions for people that have tried that:
- Can you survive against ennemies and bosses with a build focused on melee if you play solo?
- Do you always attack with melee and action skill or do you still have to use guns?
Katagawa Jr because he sometime is on a tower you can't access, or the Gravewarden because he's far from the platform where you stand.
Yeah as already mentioned, get a Facepuncher Shotgun.

Jan 4, 2018
Loving this getup for FL4K:

Borderlands_3_Screenshot_2019.09.30_-_14.49.28.20.png

Borderlands_3_Screenshot_2019.09.30_-_14.46.47.07.png

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
So is gamma burst better for 1st playthrough flak. I'm level 21 and been using fade away tree but is gamma burst worth it for mobs more?

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Just returned from Hawaii and played for a little over 12 hours yesterday... Killed Mouthpiece (That was a fun fight!) and got some coffee on the second planet.

Damn, this game is fantastic! Best Borderlands game since BL1, I am having a lot of fun. Does it seem like the hidden chests are a lot less frequent then they used to be?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Once you get blitz (and illuminated fist) you can 100% melee mob no problem before endgame. With good gear you can 100% melee mob at endgame. Bosses you generally will have to use guns along with melee and your action skill against but you can melee some of them down.

Others that are out of range yeah you have to use guns and your action skill with them.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
No. Those are separate and are not counted in the Side Mission total.

To be clear, I am talking about the kill bounties picked up on Sanctuary.

Well crap. Looks like I'm missing two Claptrack side missions that were supposedly not missable..but are totally missable. Guess I'll have to crank them out in TVHM.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So since Dinklebot spawnrates have been nerfed into the core of the earth, what is the best farm point for Lucien's Call now? Traunt on Athenas?

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
My perfect Moze combo so far.

1. Arctic Relentless Night Hawkin - 126% cryo efficiency
2. Snowdrift Rocket Boots - 73% bonus cryo damage
3. Molly Gains Mind Sweeper - 25% chance to drop a micro grenade on critical hit
4. Maxed out splash/elemental damage skill tree

I'm running through TVHM now and there's basically no challenge now. Enemies just melt/freeze/corrode in a second. It at least makes going through all this story stuff again tolerable.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I finally got Amara to level 50 and I think I'm done for now. I found the Circle of Slaughters not very fun. They ramp up the mobs way too quickly. The proving grounds were alright but I don't have a huge desire to play them again. I tried playing as Moze but my heart wasn't into it. Really enjoyed my time with this game.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017

People have already given you some good suggestions but here's one: If you plan to do endgame content like mayhem modes with Melee Amara farm for the equipment that you'll need to farm for them with a different character. Because otherwise you'll spend ages trying to kill a boss on mayhem to farm for legendaries and it just isn't fun.

Aslo here's a good video I found for a melee Amara build:

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed my time with this game, but still unsure what else to strive for now that my build is as optimized as it can be.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know how I make the neon skin glow red? It's orange whenever I choose the red option and no amount of color combination I try seems to work.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Is there an official RE thread for matching up folks for co-op? I've got two Circles of Slaughter left to do, but so far rando matches online have just been folks playing for like 5 mins and then quitting out.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
this game (along with Control) feels primed for a next-gen re-release when those consoles launch next year

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
Got my Zane to 40 and beat the campaign. What would be the fastest stuff to farm XP to get to 50? I don't want to do any of the side quests I missed until 50 so I can get the quest rewards at max level.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Zane to 40 and beat the campaign. What would be the fastest stuff to farm XP to get to 50? I don't want to do any of the side quests I missed until 50 so I can get the quest rewards at max level.

You could try farming a boss like Graveward (try Mayhem 1 for the XP boost) and see how you fare?

OniBarubary

Nov 30, 2017
Well, beat it beat it.

Honestly? Even with the big step down in writing and some of the bugs or UI issues, I think this is the best the Borderlands gameplay has ever been. It was just so fucking FUN to play. I had a blast the whole damn time in the combat and the improvements they made to everything surrounding it was fantastic. I honestly do not think an FPS has had better bosses. There are so few duds and so many of them were just super fun. Gun variety, the character's ability trees, a whole host of other stuff was great.

As far as the story and writing goes, I think my main feeling is frustration. There is a really good story and really good characters in there trying to get out but the writers just couldn't get there. When you reach the end and everything is sorta revealed, it was a great moment or plot point...but up until that point it didn't really earn it? Like, I might just write up a huge post or essay about what the game did to miss the mark with what it was trying to do. Because there were so many things they just didn't go hard enough into or leaned on enough to make the moments of character as impactful as they could have been. The Calypsos as streamers could have dovetailed so beautifully with their backstory and the idea of family, showing how they get people to love them so much they would die for them, making commentary on how die-hard people in parasocial relationships with entertainers are, making the Calypsos almost vindictive in their treatment of the Children of the Vault.

God. I wish I could like...fucking take the whole game and just workshop it and rewrite it and re-release it. Tyreen and Troy showed moments of what they could have been, some parts where greatness could be found, but the writers either tried too hard to make Tyreen a Jack 2 without letting the parts of her identity that naturally came forward at the end happen or didn't commit enough to the gimmick of either streamer or cult leader. They didn't commit fully to the streamer aspects, so they felt shallow and the jokes weren't as strong.

I will say that from Eden 6 on I think the game feels like it's written by different writers. I thought it was much better from that point on, but that the good parts didn't hit hard because everything up til then hadn't been earned with good set up.

Still. I still like the Calypsos even if I'm disappointed they were not allowed to be better characters. I love that somehow, in some way, Borderlands still remains one of the most progressive video games as far as representation is concerned. I love it even if the Vault Hunter being a non-entity hurts a lot of the game because of contrived circumstances only happening to move plot forward and not naturally or taking into consideration that I am literally standing right there. I kill every boss and yet somehow they can't even animate my character getting kicked off a building or stuck in a Vault to explain why I did nothing when certain events happen.

But also the music slaps.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Picked this up and I'm really loving it, BL3 is the first core BL I sink my teeth into despit always saying I should give the series a try, played a decent amount of hours in 2 despite not finishing the campaign and I adored Tales from.

Gameplay loop feels very rewarding and although the story is kinda meh, it works since I'm mostly just talking with friends. Certainly rekindled my interest in the looter shooter genre.

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
Any way to farm unique Epic guns?

I lost my favourite weapon tonight after stupidity dropping it to make room for a legendary after boss farming. It was a Epic SMG that was unique in that it's bullets shot in the shape of a heart. It also had pyro and a huge mag or 61. I believe it was called Heartmaker but spelled in l33t speak.

Thanks.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017

I lost my favourite weapon tonight after stupidity dropping it to make room for a legendary after boss farming. It was a Epic SMG that was unique in that it's bullets shot in the shape of a heart. It also had pyro and a huge mag or 61. I believe it was called Heartmaker but spelled in l33t speak.

Thanks.
Scratch that, sorry, was mistaken about that.

OniBarubary

Nov 30, 2017

Thanks.

That one is a quest reward for Claptrap's dancing mission.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
this game (along with Control) feels primed for a next-gen re-release when those consoles launch next year
Agreed. The game is a juggernaut so I'm wondering if PS5/Next-gen Xbox will get them running at 60fps in split-screen mode. Would be very welcomed tbh as I do want to pick this up on console at some point to play with family together.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone dealt with any hacking on PC? Any repercussions/bugs?

As I said last night I joined a game with the idea of just leveling my Gunner, I was at level 11 when I noticed one player was AFK so I just started messing around a bit and ran into the other two players in the group, we killed some fodder and all of a sudden all of us went to level 50, all of the skill trees were complete with skill points, we had 100,000,000 in currency, 700 Guardian Rank points, and multiple legendaries were dropping from everything we killed (literally hundreds of legendary gear was on the map...albeit at a much lower level than 50). I could also jump incredibly far, it was nuts but it feels super cheap too. I went back to my game and all the skill/guardian rank points remained, as well as the currency and any gear I picked up but the super jumping was gone at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone dealt with any hacking on PC? Any repercussions/bugs?

As I said last night I joined a game with the idea of just leveling my Gunner, I was at level 11 when I noticed one player was AFK so I just started messing around a bit and ran into the other two players in the group, we killed some fodder and all of a sudden all of us went to level 50, all of the skill trees were complete with skill points, we had 100,000,000 in currency, 700 Guardian Rank points, and multiple legendaries were dropping from everything we killed (literally hundreds of legendary gear was on the map...albeit at a much lower level than 50). I could also jump incredibly far, it was nuts but it feels super cheap too. I went back to my game and all the skill/guardian rank points remained, as well as the currency and any gear I picked up but the super jumping was gone at least.

This is why I don't want to play with randoms.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Swapped over to the infamous hellcat build for Amara since the phasecast one is too squishy. Yeah, this build is basically unstoppable. Get you Lucien's, Rowan's and a couple of Crossroads and you win.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
The jumping puzzles in this game are the fucking worst. I'd rather deal with Dark Souls controls, fucking hell.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Flak question:

So gamma burst sucks in proving grounds.

should I spec into stalker and hunter tree?Should I mainly use fade away/jabber or spider/rakk?

also, I do not see the mayhem mode pedestal in the sanctuary. I just started tvhm, just got to the sanctuary.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Flak question:

So gamma burst sucks in proving grounds.

should I spec into stalker and hunter tree?Should I mainly use fade away/jabber or spider/rakk?

also, I do not see the mayhem mode pedestal in the sanctuary. I just started tvhm, just got to the sanctuary.
What's wrong with it? It slays. I ran gamma burst my whole playthrough and didn't have any problems with it until i started to move into mayhem 2.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
So I power leveled my friend's Moze to 50 and then ran with him to finish the last few missions on normal. Open up the last story chest and lo and behold a 50 MIRV Hex. Lucky for him.