• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what's the end-game build for Zane that won't make me hate myself?

I've been maining the shield tree with a few points in the blue tree I think. I don't use the sentinel or the clone... but I could get used to them if need be.

I've also started a playthrough with Moze and havne't found a useful way to use her action skill yet. The railgun one kinda sucks, but that's the tree I wanted to start with.
Uhm, for starters, don't only use one skill with Zane? His skills are designed so you use two of them at once. How did you reach the end game and still only use one of them, and then the shield?
Exclusiviely using the shield and then wondering why your experience is miserable is really, really weird tbh.

Most of his skills are synergizing with each other. It's not worth it to run grenades, especially after you got some legendary class mods. There is a killskill build where you try to use your skills as often as possible to activate every single killskill you have. The cryo build requires a bit more gear but you basically run around with your clone and shield activated 100% of the time. But you'd need to get a really good cryo weapon and skill the orange capstone.

Honestly sounds like you just didn't start with the right character. Only the shield...what on earth lol.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best class to me is Fl4k crit build. Bosses in mayhem mode was a cake walk lol. Melting bosses stupid fast

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recall folk saying Moze ain't all that hot early game, but I'm already having fun with her. Go down the demo woman tree as early as possible for infinite grenades and you're already winning. Get you a Tediore MIRV gun for extra fun. I likey, I likey.

Was looking forward to investing her her tanky shield tree, but nah, explosions.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is the drop rate supposed to be so underwhelming?

99% of the drops so far are white and green. Granted, I'm only four or so hours in, but still, come on Gearbox
You'll start getting more blues and sometimes purples once you leave Pandora. The early lvls don't drop them as much I think. Of course, white and greens will still be the majority of the drops, but still.

Aveis

Oct 28, 2017
Timisoara
I thought the actual story about kids who grew up with stories from the first vault hunter believing that they were entitled/heirs to the vaults was kinda interesting. It's just that the annoying streamer personality stuff was - well, annoying as fuck.
Yeah you are actually right,the whole reveal that they are the first vault hunter kids was nice and unexpected,but their personality and how the game tried so hard to make you hate them,with the videos or killing Maya(which was handled poorly imo)....it really was annoying.They felt like you could replace them with any of the other sidequests antagonist and you wouldn't see a difference

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Decided to level Moze this weekend, and Jesus, the grenade + shield build has to be the most broken thing in this game. Circles of slaughter are a complete joke; I'm amazed FL4K got nerfed and this still exists. Will enjoy it while it lasts, I guess.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Did the latest hot fix break the sound? I'm having trouble hearing all dialogue and nothing changes no matter how much I mess with the sound sliders.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Decided to level Moze this weekend, and Jesus, the grenade + shield build has to be the most broken thing in this game. Circles of slaughter are a complete joke; I'm amazed FL4K got nerfed and this still exists. Will enjoy it while it lasts, I guess.
Yup

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Did the latest hot fix break the sound? I'm having trouble hearing all dialogue and nothing changes no matter how much I mess with the sound sliders.

You try adjusting the Sound Mode at the bottom? For whatever reason I find Small Speaker works best on my sound system.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Everyone here grinding away for Legendaries and all I want is a freaking Atlas weapon to finish off that stupid "get 100 kills each with gun manufacturer" trophy. For the life of me, can't find a single Atlas.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone have a spare 50 Hive on PS4 they'd like to donate to me? I've been farming the big bug for a couple of hours and no dice.

Update: Disregard. I finally got it.
Everyone here grinding away for Legendaries and all I want is a freaking Atlas weapon to finish off that stupid "get 100 kills each with gun manufacturer" trophy. For the life of me, can't find a single Atlas.
Just look in the Marcus machines.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
And that's the platinum. I missed the circle of slaughter on the second planet and that took out like 5 or 6 trophies at once as I finished it. Turns out it was my last location, circle, mission, all locations, all sidequests, etc.

I have a lot of complaints about the game, but it's one of the best of the year and right there with Diablo 3 for the best loot game this gen. Excited for them to patch up the game's quirks while the DLC is in the oven. Fix the disappearing vaults and increase the space, Gearbox!

Oct 27, 2017
So I see B3 is just as hackable as B2 was considering I was leveling my Gunner when I joined someone's game and immediately went from Level 11-to-50 with nearly 100,000,000 in currency and like 700 Guardian Rank points. Every single enemy was dropping Legendaries like candy.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to give up on melee Amara. She's so dependent on really specific gear for mayhem levels that it's becoming not fun to play since I don't have any said gear and grinding for them has been zero fun with a build that can't put out any significant damage. I guess I'll try a Fl4k crit build.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm going to give up on melee Amara. She's so dependent on really specific gear for mayhem levels that it's becoming not fun to play since I don't have any said gear and grinding for them has been zero fun with a build that can't put out any significant damage. I guess I'll try a Fl4k crit build.
FL4K just got his crit build nerfed. It's noticeably worse. I'm actually considering jumping ship to Amara.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
FL4K just got his crit build nerfed. It's noticeably worse. I'm actually considering jumping ship to Amara.
So I've been told, but from what I've seen it's not like it's been nerfed into the ground and still seems fun. Amara is probably fine if you do anything other than melee honestly. Unfortunately those play styles just aren't for me and is the reason I never played a Siren in the previous games. It just never meshed with me. Guess I'll just have to wait for gearbox to make a Kreig 2.0 :(

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been told, but from what I've seen it's not like it's been nerfed into the ground and still seems fun. Amara is probably fine if you do anything other than melee honestly. Unfortunately those play styles just aren't for me and is the reason I never played a Siren in the previous games. It just never meshed with me. Guess I'll just have to wait for gearbox to make a Kreig 2.0 :(

It can still be effective for bosses, but the shorter duration on the skill it revolves around makes FL4K much worse for general mob killing. I'm hoping they drop another patch this week that either bumps the duration back up, or gives his other two trees some love.

Another thing i noticed today, is that while he has 3 pets, only the monkey is consistently useful because it shoots a fun. Both the skag and spider ant suffer big time when the mob flies, and are useless for any boss that's airborne or elevated. Really hurts his options.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
If you start TVHM, do you also need to get to the end of the game to read the Eridian Writings?
Or is that unlocked afer the first playthrough?

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
So I got curious and started leveling Zane after so many hours dedicated to worshipping the god of death with Fl4k

And quite frankly I'm having twice as much fun on Zane than on Fl4k lol, his cleaning capacities are through the roof its amazing. I see why people dont understand how to build him, basically hes all about the fire fl4kker and stacking as many negative stuff possible while amping your elemental damage.

Sure he wont melt a boss in one second (make that three - four) but for the rest hes just SO fun to play, can't believe they didn't manage to make a mecha gameplay interesting at all

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Anointed Lyuda is broken. Its lvl 48 yet it can melt a mayem 3 graveyard in 10 bullets with Amara with the right modificators.

3 or 4 magazines (30 to 40) bullets with bad modificators. Its great to farm it.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, for starters, don't only use one skill with Zane? His skills are designed so you use two of them at once. How did you reach the end game and still only use one of them, and then the shield?
I guess I'm just good.

By "end-game" I mean... beyond Mayhem 1. Because that's what I'm currently doing, and I'm managing alright. The shield doesn't have a long cooldown and baically makes me bulletproof for a while. I also get increased damage when shooting through it.

But there are some cases where it just feels like I'm not dealing any damage, and that's likely due to the fact that I'm not using an optimized build that revolves around taking advantage of multiple skills and anointed bonuses. Hence, my question.

Not sure if I want to do the skill micromanagement playstyle of Zane, or continuing to level Moze and giving her a try instead.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
started my Amara playthrough, really enjoying just blazing through the story and skipping all the sidequests, makes you like 3 levels under recommended so it offers up a much better challenge.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
After more farming attempts than I care to recollect, I have come to the conclusion that I am never going to find a Bloodletter class mod for Moze, especially after this latest patch :(

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Got my siren up to and past my beastmaster, level-wise. I kinda...wanna keep going with her?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
me neither, I'm using cryo night hawking
Yeah I'm using a Kaos that's also got the 75% damage buff on clone swap annointment on it. It's really good, but in the slaughter circles you always run out of ammo at some point. :/

I guess I'm just good.

By "end-game" I mean... beyond Mayhem 1. Because that's what I'm currently doing, and I'm managing alright. The shield doesn't have a long cooldown and baically makes me bulletproof for a while. I also get increased damage when shooting through it.

But there are some cases where it just feels like I'm not dealing any damage, and that's likely due to the fact that I'm not using an optimized build that revolves around taking advantage of multiple skills and anointed bonuses. Hence, my question.

Not sure if I want to do the skill micromanagement playstyle of Zane, or continuing to level Moze and giving her a try instead.
That's the thing, I think Zane is the only character you can play in a "wrong" way. He's not supposed to be played with just one skill, but they give you the option anyway. Not that I'll complain about that, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to abuse the porcelain bomb :P... Did you already try out combining the skills and different builds? Otherwise it really seems like you picked the wrong character...

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After more farming attempts than I care to recollect, I have come to the conclusion that I am never going to find a Bloodletter class mod for Moze, especially after this latest patch :(
They really need to rebalance droprates. You can't lower them and then still have most legendaries be world drops only. I didn't even find a lucians call or deathless artifact before the drop rate nerf, but now I just gave up even the idea of getting one lol.

kingkenny76

Oct 31, 2017
Is the drop rate supposed to be so underwhelming?

99% of the drops so far are white and green. Granted, I'm only four or so hours in, but still, come on Gearbox
They nerfed the drop rates, they went from over the top to barley dropping.
A tip for better drops rates and xp gain is to go offline blocking the hotfix.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Finally beat it. Level 42 and 37 hours. The game drags on longer than it should have, a lot of times I was just running passed mobs because fuck it.

Now the fun starts.

Jan 4, 2018
Welp, guess I'm going to play Moze next.

I got a shock-resistant Front Loader and a Bloodletter legendary class mod while playing as FL4K. Time to shield build.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is definitely growing on me... I'm still early (just got the 3rd weapon slot unlocked)...

The game could really use a double-jump tho

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a good way of leveling 35-50 solo once the story is finished? Already have main at 50 with 100% world finished so just looking for what is fastest whether quests or boss runs etc. for solo alts.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
so I just beat the game.

I restarted on tvhm.

I wanna try multiplayer. Should I match make in proving grounds or circle of slaughter for legendary gear and leveling up?

also prob I dumb question but if Istart a new character I completely start over, yes? No tvhm for a new different character?

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question that's been bugging me since I beat the game: where the heck does campaign matchmaking toss you once you've beaten the game? Is it completely random? I haven't started TVHM, just been 50 for awhile and doing a bunch of matchmaking for better guns/loot and I can't ever figure out where the campaign matchmaking option is going to send me. Would be great to be able to decide where in the story you want to join people, so I'm just curious as to how that works.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Amara + Elemental weapons really just doesn't get old. It helps that the elemental weapons in this game are really fun and satisfying to use

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I'm thinking about playing a second character after I finish the game with Fl4k, and I'm really interested in Amara, especially her melee build. But I have some questions for people that have tried that:
- Can you survive against ennemies and bosses with a build focused on melee if you play solo?
- Do you always attack with melee and action skill or do you still have to use guns?
- I'm wondering how it is possible to beat some bosses like
Katagawa Jr because he sometime is on a tower you can't access, or the Gravewarden because he's far from the platform where you stand.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Is there any way to see how many side missions I've done vs. how many are still left to do, other than manually scroll and cross-reference the completed quests in the menu?