• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
UVHM requiring slag is mostly a footnote in that context, though; the eHP changes in enemies were balanced around it, and BL3 doesn't have the mechanic to balance around anymore, so it isn't really a concern. I'm not against using eHP as a function of increased difficulty - I actually think the base game probably didn't ship with a high enough ceiling in this regard, even on Mayhem 3 - but I just don't think Mayhem as a mechanic is the thing they should be using to drive that function of difficulty scaling when we already have an existing one that already serves that purpose. I suppose on some level they were hesitant to split the game into 3 full campaign runs to avoid the issue of players not getting enough skill points in the first playthrough (the only one the majority of players actually experience), but I think anyone who does decide to go through the TVHM playthrough would have been interested in the UVHM playthrough that scaled enemies up to at least the level of the current Mayhem 3 average.

One thing I think is pretty certain however is that we definitely do not need Mayhem modifiers acting as positive force multipliers on player damage. That feels like one of the biggest mistakes they could have made with the system, and is the thing that ensures Mayhem never feels "good" by multiplying the feeling of negative impact of "bad" modifiers. There is currently absolutely no incentive to endure a particularly punishing set of Mayhem modifiers when simply quitting to the main menu and reloading can result in the player becoming vastly more effective instead, without any downside in terms of reward. As designed the mechanic is going to encourage player behavior they certainly did not intend with the Mayhem setting, while simultaneously watering down what difficulty exists in the base content, which I'd say already is not at the level it needed to be for the current level of gear scaling they shipped with.
I agree with you on the mayhem modifiers being flawed and the difficulty being too low (other than circle of slaughters) but honestly I think multiple playthroughs should be entirely optional.

This is again something they could have aped from Diablo 3, had the mayhem levels just increase enemy hp/shields and loot/currency/xp while the mayhem modifiers are just applied to groups of mobs or bosses or what have you.

Undead Bokun

Oct 25, 2017
Does this patch fix the "overheating" issue? Specifically on Xbox? The problem where the game will power down your console. I know it doesn't do it to everyone so I fear it won't be a high priority fix. It has done it to me on two separate Xbox One X consoles. One, a Project Scorpio edition and the other a brand new Gears of War 5 limited edition console. I have since stopped playing the game altogether until this is fixed...if it gets fixed. Apologies if this has come up, I haven't kept up to date due to not wanting to spoil anything.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Is there an option for friends only to join your game on the PS4 version of the game? It was there in BL2 and TPS, the handsome collection versions anyway. I only see 3 options: invite only, public, and I think a lan option, but no friend only option. Have a large group of friends playing this, and none of us have bothered to ask/research (I did today, came up empty, although I did see some pictures with the option available which has me WTFing), just used the invite option. Heh. Not going to lie, it's rather annoying.

Seems this was omitted from the PS4 version, which is a bummer..unless we are doing something wrong. Any insight/help would be appreciated.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
That's the EXACT weapon I need, even the goddamn element. Ffs. Wasted potential on your stupid OP robot that kills everything with any weapon anyway lol. And you have multiple Cryo Calls? What the fuck. Where did you get them? I swear I've been farming multiple bosses for hours on end. 4 Butchers, 3 Stormfronts and a shitton of useless stuff, but not a sngle Lucian's Call.

Haha Lucio's Call is amazing on Flak crit build since I can clear whole rooms with the ricochet. I would try farming Cpt Traunt on Athena since he dropped me the annoyed one. What console are yah playing?

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
quick test of the patch on PS4 pro, menus seems sluggish as ever. Overall gameplay on performance mode seems to be a bit better, but probably just a placebo effect. Resolution mode feels the same as before.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's so fucked because I have three different legendary class mods for a useless git like Zane, but oh no, don't give me Amara's.

I feel like Graveward drops class mods more often than Traunt. Felt like with Traunt I was getting the same shitty grenades over and over again.

But who knows, RNG.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
It's so fucked because I have three different legendary class mods for a useless git like Zane, but oh no, don't give me Amara's.

I feel like Graveward drops class mods more often than Traunt. Felt like with Traunt I was getting the same shitty grenades over and over again.

But who knows, RNG.

RNG is a fickle bastard.

OniBarubary

Nov 30, 2017
Back in my day people fought Killavolt with the whole floor electrified and nerfed pets with action skills that didn't work and we liked it!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone playing on the Xbox one X post patch? I am curious how it is now.

Initial impressions on the X in performance mode - the menus are noticeably better. I still wouldn't say they're great yet, but switching between tabs is definitely improved, especially going back to a previous tab. There's still stutters at points, but it does a better job at keeping the menus in memory once loaded. Even after fast traveling, I went back in to my map without a hitch, but then had the usual stutter when moving to inventory.

Framerate appears roughly the same. Still hitches running around Sanctuary in performance mode.

Last edited:

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Initial impressions on PS4 Pro performance mode are similar playing solo (compared to playing solo before the patch). Sometimes the menus feel the same, sometimes they feel much better. I'd say that pulling up your menu in general is still usually the same, but tabbing between menus in your inventory feels much better.

That said I just got my 2nd ever crash on PS4, I hope not related lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am slowly going through the game. I just got to Killavot. I see what you goes are saying, who designed this encounter and why do they hate people?

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Strangely, they didn't seem to implement the hotfix into this patch, at least on PC. You still have to sit on the main menu for a minute to have it applied. Doesn't really make sense to me.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I agree with you on the mayhem modifiers being flawed and the difficulty being too low (other than circle of slaughters) but honestly I think multiple playthroughs should be entirely optional.

This is again something they could have aped from Diablo 3, had the mayhem levels just increase enemy hp/shields and loot/currency/xp while the mayhem modifiers are just applied to groups of mobs or bosses or what have you.

Regarding the difficulty of the game, in my opinion the Mayhen mode in theory was to be well balanced the problem was the insane amount of loot that fell from the bosses, so in the first week everyone was already OP with the strongest weapons in the game, another thing that helps to reduce the difficulty of the game is not having many specific legendary drops from bosses, everything drop from anyone.

With this patch, who is starting to play the game now will have a much more balanced and challenging game imo

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha Lucio's Call is amazing on Flak crit build since I can clear whole rooms with the ricochet. I would try farming Cpt Traunt on Athena since he dropped me the annoyed one. What console are yah playing?
I think I farmed Traunt for 4 hours straight lol, got nothing. Cryo Lucien's is pretty much essential for the Zane Cryo build...Anything else just runs out of ammo too fast.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the difficulty of the game, in my opinion the Mayhen mode in theory was to be well balanced the problem was the insane amount of loot that fell from the bosses, so in the first week everyone was already OP with the strongest weapons in the game, another thing that helps to reduce the difficulty of the game is not having many specific legendary drops from bosses, everything drop from anyone.

With this patch, who is starting to play the game now will have a much more balanced and challenging game imo
Yeaaa this is why I'm happy I took my time and still have low level characters for this patch

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think I farmed Traunt for 4 hours straight lol, got nothing. Cryo Lucien's is pretty much essential for the Zane Cryo build...Anything else just runs out of ammo too fast.
What about an Arctic Nighthawkins? I got one on Amara and it may not be best in slot but it shreds

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Holy Lord, they fixed the map bug on PS4. Such a small thing, but my time in the game is made so much better because of it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised and happy the pipe bomb fix is coming this early.

I decided to abuse it because I just missed the boat with the Loot Tink and Grave/Chup drops before the hotfix, but I mainly ended up abusing it because I was so damn sick of gaining a single guardian point, then going -30, taking hours to get out of the hole to gain a single point, only to end up at -31 as soon as I would spend it (each new point just added one more to the previous deficit record too). Graveward offline gives seven times as much experience as online as well, so you would get a point per kill until you amassed a large surplus.

I honestly don't know if it's just a UI error and the ranks really are supposed to take that long, but I just said fuck it and started farming offline to get out of the hole and to actually earn some if the experience online was truly bugged. I'm at a point now where I have 10% - 15% in everything important and each new point only adds .25% or less.

finally beat killavolt last night, my god man, never again

one thing that has been frustrating me lately about the game though is how weak I feel and how much damage the enemies do. I dont want it to just be a cakewalk, dont get me wrong, but I feel like I am constantly near death and everyone takes multiple rounds to kill.

im not sure if I just have weak weapons or what, but I always feel like I am on the verge of death.

He really is the easiest boss in the game once you actually get a certain item (you can get it later from a quest as well as a world drop). The first time though, and if you ran into the floor bug? God. Worst boss until Traunt (who because easier a lot earlier for me). And yes, your weapons matter a lot in this. It's less of an issue once you hit 50 since most everything that drops is 50, with the odd 49, but while progressing through the story, you can really feel it when your weapons are not at least blue and the same level as the enemies you are facing. Another thing, is that even though they are boring, and you might think you wouldn't need them all that much; the health regen skills, damage reduction or shield bonus skills each character has helps immensely.

edit: Probably my favorite weapon subclass now, and they come in five flavors. They absolutely shred on a melee Amara, but I guess it helps having a 45% bonus to crits with Hyperion weapons on my class mod. They are just satisfying to shoot in general and their only downside is having to frequently reload.

Screenshot00002.png

Last edited:

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Really struggling solo Zane on Slaughterstar 3000.

Don't suppose anyone has any good level 48 guns going free that might help with it they could send through mail? I generally prefer SMG and assault rifles.

I've tried matchmaking for it but 5 tries and not one of them were on that map.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Can you still play offline for more xp after the patch? Or did the patch include the hotfix and kill that workaround?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Something that's been happening to my friends and I pretty regularly is usernames just vanishing above people in online co-op...is this pretty common? It's awful because I'll mistake my friends for enemies sometimes when their name isn't displayed above their head.

theslb

Nov 15, 2017
Are there any general FPS fixes? I have been playing on DX11 mainly because it didnt seem like much of a fix going to DX12 and the extremely long load time in the beginning was too much for me.

I noticed it a lot last night heading into the Killavolt fight. Hoping they cleaned that up a bit.

(FWIW - RTX 2060 here)
Honestly i didnt play to much time to see but inside the menu is better and the now we can play with scopes without any issue,but i think this fix with 335 mb is not a proper patch to performance,but i'm going see that now,also i'm playing with DX11.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Some of the ledge gymnastics needed to get to those out of reach Typhon Logs/etc is just infuriating. Gearbox, never make a platformer, you are awful. One in the Anvil that's literally miss a jump and you fall off a cliff to your death.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Some of the ledge gymnastics needed to get to those out of reach Typhon Logs/etc is just infuriating. Gearbox, never make a platformer, you are awful. One in the Anvil that's literally miss a jump and you fall off a cliff to your death.

The problem is less the platforming mechanics here than the somewhat messy visual language of what you can actually mantle, outside the obvious yellow spots. I actually love the movement overall in this and found it surprisingly functional, especially after innumerable hours of Destiny and its awful platforming where every surface is covered in rubber and huge sections of content are just shit tier platforming.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
haven't played with the new patch yet but it's a shame this is so poorly optimized. it's real hard to enjoy the much-improved combat with all of the stuttering and other technical nonsense.

besides that this is a pretty big step up from 2, I think

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Legendary Class Mods didn't spawn offline.

I just looked it up on Reddit and the gearbox forum..... Well it was fun Pipebomb 😂 but I gotta leave ya. My Amara with her Butcher has been destroying things anyways.

Oh!! Now I know why people like using Moze with the Hex grenade. Wow. Let me just sit back and watch the fireworks, right? Lol.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Legendary Class Mods didn't spawn offline.

Maybe it's different on the consoles, but on PC they don't, or their drop rate is so low that they may as well not. Out of the hundreds of legendaries I've seen offline, not one of them was a class mod, and I've seen plenty of them online.

The easiest place to still reliably get them that I've found is Chupacabras. He's really easy to kill with many class builds/weapons that are just as fast, or only slightly longer than Pipe Bomb cheese. With the right build, you can do even faster against
Katagawa Jr.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Maybe it's different on the consoles, but on PC they don't, or their drop rate is so low that they may as well not. Out of the hundreds of legendaries I've seen offline, not one of them was a class mod, and I've seen plenty of them online.

The easiest place to still reliably get them that I've found is Chupacabras. He's really easy to kill with many class builds/weapons that are just as fast, or only slightly longer than Pipe Bomb cheese. With the right build, you can do even faster against
Katagawa Jr.
Going against that plot boss as Moze with tracking rockets is hilarious because I'm 99% sure it doesn't target the clones.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Ok, maybe I'm missing something. Deliver 5 burgers to a bunch of spots around the map. You have 10 minutes to do it. You get a bonus if you have 9 minutes remaining?! How is that even possible?

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Cistern of Slaughter really sucks with all them rakks. It's not even particularly difficult, just mind numbing.