• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that killed me consecutively was a badass Goliath spamming cyro rockets. That motherfucker was out to get me.

Not a single boss killed me, as that is what happens when you play Amara boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I think a reason people get defensive about enjoying this game is because so much talk surrounding games is hyperbolic because that's what gets people to respond to you and gets attention. You can't say "Eh, the meme stuff wore on me, less repetition would've made it better" you have to make a Tweet mocking it going "WaRm Up thE mEMe GeNeRatOR fELLow gaMERS LOL CLAPTRAp daBBed ePiC", you can't say "man, I've encountered a crazy amount of issues, I might have to hold off or refund of these problems keep me from enjoying it" it has to be "absolutely unplayable it's a travesty that in this year of our Lord 2019 a game company would insult me so much by releasing this garbage" Obviously not everyone is doing that but when the BL3 sales thread that was just created literally has someone calling BL fans "Randy's barely legal circle" like wtf? Maybe calm down, it's video games.

There's nothing wrong with disliking a game or parts of it and even people really enjoying the game have brought up issues with it. Contrary to what's been said in this thread, some of THE HIGHEST rated threads on the BL Reddit are about problems with the technical aspects or more overwhelmingly the writing and story. It's moreso the relentless tone that gets really grating when I come into a thread to be like "Oh man this boss was really fun" and just getting a deluge of the above

Don't get me wrong; like anywhere on the internet this thread has the large majority talking about their problems just fine. Hell, I'd love to talk about agreeing with a lot of those problems and ways I think they could be fixed or could've been done better. Making sure your VH is an active participant in cutscenes to eliminate the dissonance of never doing anything to prevent stuff happening in cutscenes, the lines being read so that they could fit any line in when the VHs talk making dialogue feel a bit throwaway, not committing one way or the other on the Calypsos streamer gimmick hurting their characters, the menus, literally Ava, repetition of plot points, not leaning hard enough on the theme of family, etc. Like, I'm loving the game and look at all the stuff I came up with that could be better or wasn't great! Not a single person liking this game in this thread wants discussion to only be a circlejerk of positivity. But goddam the condescending or patronizing tone that some of y'all love adopting is ridiculous.

But holy shit, sometime it is a real fucking slog coming to this website. I never posted and barely read it because it just wasn't enjoyable and then I get BL3 and talking with my friends is fun, sure, but I wanted to share my experience with others because gaming is a very social thing for me. And it's like, after coming into this thread do I really want to? I've been working since August on a Tyreen cosplay that I'm putting a lot of money into and why would I even share it on here? Like if I'm wearing it at a convention and someone came up to me like "Oh man, good cosplay, too bad she sucked" and started listing off why she sucked, like what the fuck? Is that really gonna be what gets me to engage in discussion with you?

I dunno. There's been some really good discussion here, even from (and honestly mostly from) people who aren't enjoying it, but a lot of it is just REALLY tiring to read and makes you not want to post when you beat a really cool boss and come in to read that every world is worse than the one before and that there isn't an enjoyable fight in the game.

i loved the game from start to end for what it was and not what I wished it to be (outside of ya know, feeling cheated about Tina but if they do a B team dlc im good haha), knowing what the franchise has been first and foremost

Like to be honest there's quite a weird trend of people equating being adult / mature with everything having to be proper. And like, I'm not going to blame them because its part of their preferences or how they see the world you know, but clearly they're not in for the fun

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that killed me consecutively was a badass Goliath spamming cyro rockets. That motherfucker was out to get me.

Not a single boss killed me, as that is what happens when you play Amara boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
I'm only level 10 with her, but I got such a freaking good legendary class mod for her (one that gives another point into "find the center", one in "personal space" and 3 in "jab cross"), that I want her to be lvl 44 asap lol.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Is it just me, or is BL3 WAY harder than previous Borderlands games?
Especially the bosses!
I feel the same way playing FL4K and even though things have gotten better for me, I still find the game hard. I think either i don't have good gear, I suck at the game or both - based on so many here saying they are destroying everything or never die to bosses lol.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Rocket spammers in borderlands games are consistently the deadliest enemies Haha

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I ran into the negative badge thing. How it happened to me is that I was playing my high-level character, who had gained 7 badges. I then switched to a new character (wanted to see what Moze was about) and lo! -7 badges! =(

I've not gone back to Zane to see if I'm still at -7 (would be -5 now based on playing lower level chars), but... sigh.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
At least in other games, there were plenty of side-missions early on for me to grind/upgrade on, so I can get equal to bosses who were 3 levels ahead of me.
But here, I'm level 15, and the only way forward are two bosses I can't beat, both at level 18, with no other missions left for me to do right now. And grinding by killing random goons is WAY too slow.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I really hope they don't nerf Fl4k and Moze. Just buff Amara and Zane please.

Borderlands has always had build synergy that allows speed kills on bosses. People are being reactionary.

Blu10

Oct 27, 2017
At least in other games, there were plenty of side-missions early on for me to grind/upgrade on, so I can get equal to bosses who were 3 levels ahead of me.
But here, I'm level 15, and the only way forward are two bosses I can't beat, both at level 18, with no other missions left for me to do right now. And grinding by killing random goons is WAY too slow.

What bosses are you stuck on and what is your class and build?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So when you get skins / heads, do they unlock, or do you still have to buy them from Earl?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That feel when I can't find a good Torgue shotty

Did like 30 different Earl runs but nothin'

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I finally reached level 50 and i'm now trying to 100% the game, but fuck me it's almost impossible because you have to find all the red chests and the game doesn't track them on the minimap. That is bullshit.

It's also bugged as fuck, it doesn't track all i have done. Ffs this game is infuriating. I have done all side missions, gotten the achievement and yet it says 14/15 missions completed. I'm about to rage quit and wait until it's fixed.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
What bosses are you stuck on and what is your class and build?
Amara, "green" build.
The only missions available to me are Captain Traunt and Killavolt.

I can actually do some damage to Killavolt (after getting rid of his shields, I can get his health down to about half before I'm clean out of ammo and he kills the fuck out of me).
With Traunt, even though I've read some guides on him and try to follow them, I do literally ZERO damage to him.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
The only fight that I've found legitimately annoying is the
Grogon Mother game of Thrones shit. The room is so fucking dark and the bastards have so much health. The fight wasn't hard but my god was it tedious.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
So, beat the game last night solo, level 40. Gonna jump into Mayhem and such. Still not thrilled with the loot drop rates (didn't get a single Legendary from the final boss fight). Have one question, though.

1. Does anyone know the legendary drop rate for the Eridian Fabricator? I've used it maybe three times and all it did as spit out Uncommon garbage. Does it even spit out Legendaries now and then?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, beat the game last night solo, level 40. Gonna jump into Mayhem and such. Still not thrilled with the loot drop rates (didn't get a single Legendary from the final boss fight). Have one question, though.

1. Does anyone know the legendary drop rate for the Eridian Fabricator? I've used it maybe three times and all it did as spit out Uncommon garbage. Does it even spit out Legendaries now and then?

You're about to get a shit ton of legendaries through Mayhem.

As for your second question, I wouldn't waste the eridium on that. Mayhem is very generous with the legendary drops.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
You're about to get a shit ton of legendaries through Mayhem.

As for your second question, I wouldn't waste the eridium on that. Mayhem is very generous with the legendary drops.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was really disappointed with the Legendary drop rate during the regular game, so hopefully I've got a windfall coming.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the main story over the weekend and I'm now going back to complete side missions and map challenges while leveling up.

I enjoyed the campaign despite issues with the humor and writing, but I really hope if there's a 4th game that Gearbox moves past their focus on Sirens and Vaults. I get that they've been pillars of the game so far but by the end of 3 I was sick of hearing about
which Siren was dead, which Siren lost her powers, who this new Siren was, who was secretly a Siren, etc.
I'm fine with more Siren playable characters because space magic is fun, but as a narrative focus, I'm over it.

Hopefully expanding out to other planets will give Gearbox the inspiration to move on completely from Pandora and create new branches of lore to give us playable characters other than vault hunters. The vaults in BL3 are underwhelming, loot-wise. Identical rooms with 4 chests each was disappointing compared to places like the treasure room in BL2's Scarlett DLC. That place had a pyramid full of loot chests.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Don't worry, the drop rates are much better with mayhem on. The Eridian Fabricator sucks, some people on reddit tested it and it only dropped garbage.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has it's issues, but least polished game when Anthem and the Order exist is a bit of a stretch.
Skyrim PS3.

The difference of story and characterisation quality in Eden-6 compared to every other chapter of the story is striking.

Wont deny it was a slog though. Went back to the prison area and I got disoriented for a sec because I was sure that took place in another planet... because you take so long there that it escaped my mind.

Anyway, the Sonic Cyclone made the open world sections better. The hover option makes it an ease to circle strafe enemies, and the normal vehicle guns are already strong as hell anyway. Im using it all the time now.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's pretty hard to be underleveled in this game unless you only do the main story quests. Either you skipped some side quests, or you haven't explored every zones so far for the Typhon logs, antennas and dead claptraps. These can give a lot of xp.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
It's pretty hard to be underleveled in this game unless you only do the main story quests. Either you skipped some side quests, or you haven't explored every zones so far for the Typhon logs, antennas and dead claptraps. These can give a lot of xp.

Is there any easy way to track in-game the side missions I've completed, rather than scrolling through the big ol' list of completed missions? Also, any way to check out how many kills I've gotten per gun manufacturer?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
It's entirely possible I missed some stuff, but I swear that I have absolutely gone through all the maps (so far) of the game, going so far as to uncover every inch of the maps - I've even gotten every Claptrap part and all the crew challenges in all the areas up til now.
Guess I'll check again, but I honestly don't know know where to even start - that is, unless a previously inaccessible part of a map is now suddenly accessible.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok for some reason the matchmaking doesn't work for me on PC... anybody else got problems like this sofar?

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What's the strongest Siren build you guys have tried so far? I was really loving the melee build/tree even though I'm not sure if it'll remain useful at higher difficulty levels.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What's the strongest Siren build you guys have tried so far? I was really loving the melee build/tree even though I'm not sure if it'll remain useful at higher difficulty levels.

She has a legendary class mod that activates her max rush stacks on action skill use (and ups the maximum by another 5). Missed phasegrasps count towards this so people have been exploiting it by purposefully missing phasegrasps before a fight to stack 99 rush stacks and then go ham. Hopefully it gets patched sooner rather than later tbh

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I still can't wrap my head around how awesome the gameplay is tho. Like seriously how did they nail it so hard

Borderlands has always had build synergy that allows speed kills on bosses. People are being reactionary.

buffing amara ?

haha hell no

"bUt fL4K iS oP pLz NeRf"

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
Any impressions with End-Game Zane builds? Me and my buddy were going through Co-op and I was Fl4k, but he has to stop playing soon for a while so I am focusing on my solo character which is Zane. Fl4k seems to have something good with his crit build, but haven't seen much for Zane. Anything as good or should I just switch to Moze now lol?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

I mean they do need to buff Moze's iron bear for properly scaling on mayhem levels, as well as making her green tree actually worth going down

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else playing in performance mode w/ and X1X and a TV that supports FreeSync? I had turned FreeSync off because the X was causing my TV to reboot with VRR enabled, but since my TV firmware was just updated, I decided to turn it back on.

After playing 30+ hours in performance mode w/o VRR enabled, turning VRR back on provided a noticeable improvement to consistency. Not sure if VRR and Borderlands get along really well, or the 1270.6 firmware for the Q9FN improved VRR support; but either way, it's probably the biggest improvement w/ VRR I've seen so far.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
Ok, now that I'm level 50 Fl4k, what now? I've never maxed out or completed a Borderlands game. What exactly is the endgame?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does status effect chance have effect on cryo? I read that freezing stuff is based on the missing health of an enemy, so does status effect chance factor in there at all?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed the prison area of Eden 6, it was a nice break from the god awful linearity of almost everything before it.

Please tell me the game stays this moody/open-ended 😕.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I feel the same way playing FL4K and even though things have gotten better for me, I still find the game hard. I think either i don't have good gear, I suck at the game or both - based on so many here saying they are destroying everything or never die to bosses lol.
The Giant eye boss wrecked me at least 6 or 7 times i literally had to use rockets then hide and rinse repeat and then melt it with an electric SMG once its first bar was down.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I think a reason people get defensive about enjoying this game is because so much talk surrounding games is hyperbolic because that's what gets people to respond to you and gets attention. You can't say "Eh, the meme stuff wore on me, less repetition would've made it better" you have to make a Tweet mocking it going "WaRm Up thE mEMe GeNeRatOR fELLow gaMERS LOL CLAPTRAp daBBed ePiC", you can't say "man, I've encountered a crazy amount of issues, I might have to hold off or refund of these problems keep me from enjoying it" it has to be "absolutely unplayable it's a travesty that in this year of our Lord 2019 a game company would insult me so much by releasing this garbage" Obviously not everyone is doing that but when the BL3 sales thread that was just created literally has someone calling BL fans "Randy's barely legal circle" like wtf? Maybe calm down, it's video games.

There's nothing wrong with disliking a game or parts of it and even people really enjoying the game have brought up issues with it. Contrary to what's been said in this thread, some of THE HIGHEST rated threads on the BL Reddit are about problems with the technical aspects or more overwhelmingly the writing and story. It's moreso the relentless tone that gets really grating when I come into a thread to be like "Oh man this boss was really fun" and just getting a deluge of the above

Don't get me wrong; like anywhere on the internet this thread has the large majority talking about their problems just fine. Hell, I'd love to talk about agreeing with a lot of those problems and ways I think they could be fixed or could've been done better. Making sure your VH is an active participant in cutscenes to eliminate the dissonance of never doing anything to prevent stuff happening in cutscenes, the lines being read so that they could fit any line in when the VHs talk making dialogue feel a bit throwaway, not committing one way or the other on the Calypsos streamer gimmick hurting their characters, the menus, literally Ava, repetition of plot points, not leaning hard enough on the theme of family, etc. Like, I'm loving the game and look at all the stuff I came up with that could be better or wasn't great! Not a single person liking this game in this thread wants discussion to only be a circlejerk of positivity. But goddam the condescending or patronizing tone that some of y'all love adopting is ridiculous.

But holy shit, sometime it is a real fucking slog coming to this website. I never posted and barely read it because it just wasn't enjoyable and then I get BL3 and talking with my friends is fun, sure, but I wanted to share my experience with others because gaming is a very social thing for me. And it's like, after coming into this thread do I really want to? I've been working since August on a Tyreen cosplay that I'm putting a lot of money into and why would I even share it on here? Like if I'm wearing it at a convention and someone came up to me like "Oh man, good cosplay, too bad she sucked" and started listing off why she sucked, like what the fuck? Is that really gonna be what gets me to engage in discussion with you?

I dunno. There's been some really good discussion here, even from (and honestly mostly from) people who aren't enjoying it, but a lot of it is just REALLY tiring to read and makes you not want to post when you beat a really cool boss and come in to read that every world is worse than the one before and that there isn't an enjoyable fight in the game.
Please post your cosplay. I'm one of the 4 people who doesn't understand the love for Jack the the hate for the twins. Hopefully when the thread gets moved it'll thin out drive-by hate posts.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm really thinking about getting the game asap. Are there any discounts available?

I literally just bought Borderlands 3 a few minutes ago on GMG for $50. Use AUTUMN15 at checkout and it'll knock 15% off whatever edition you buy.

Also, installing now, can't wait to jump in and get caught up with everyone here.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
I mean they do need to buff Moze's iron bear for properly scaling on mayhem levels, as well as making her green tree actually worth going down

Personally I don't think there's much wrong with her green tree that isn't shared by her orange tree, in that both of them are terrible late game without investment into blue. Both green and orange just feel like accessory trees that aren't necessary for much of anything. I actually started doing secondary investment into green because there isn't really any such thing as "more unkillable"; she's already across that threshold just with Vampyr and a good grenade so wasting her rather powerful DPS class mod slot on survivability seemed pretty pointless for TVHM M3.

I don't know what I want them to do with Iron Bear, honestly. Making it last longer via more survivability is just going to make her anointments suck worse than they already do (which is quite a lot compared to the other characters). I think I'd like them to give Auto Bear the ability to allow you to summon Iron Bear without getting into it at all by holding the action skill button down, so you can immediately put it on cooldown and trigger anointments. That way if they do increase the survivability of Iron Bear at least we'd still get some means of access to anointment buffs more in line with other characters.