• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
The exp on Mayhem 3/TVHM is pretty insane. Went from 35 - 50 in 5 hours and am now Guardian rank 65.

Money is also crazy. Got an atlas grenade with MIRV/Money mod. I throw 19 Grenades and I kid you not I get 3-5 million during an encounter. Needless to say I nearly have all SDU's maxed out.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
maliwan shotties with full auto and charge speed boost are great with siren elemental builds. Seeing as I'm all about the elemental proc, I've used quite a few maliwan smgs as well (never their rifles and rarely their pistols though). The beam ones and higher splash work well for me

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
People are really ignoring weapons based on manufacturer? That's not a good idea. You never know when you'll be surprised. Also, don't ever drop legendaries until you try em. I've lost count of how many times a legendary that stats wise seems weak but ends up shredding because of hidden stats/perks. For example I got a legendary grenade that had damage half of my equipped one. I try it out and yes damage isn't great. But it would electrocute enemies and arc between up to 5 enemies and completely drain their shields down to zero.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
PS4 and unfortunately I haven't been uploading my saves to the cloud for almost a year. So everything from October '18 to now is completely wiped. Honestly an extremely shitty situation, but hey it's a launch PS4, it has its issues.

Sorry to hear that- that sucks. One thing you could do as an assurance going forward is manually back up your saves to a thumb drive (or any USB drive) periodically. A bit of extra effort, but better than losing your data.

A new Shift key is being released on Friday.

I wouldn't sweat the SHIFT keys too hard, people. They're somewhat useful between levels 1-35ish, but once you reach the endgame, they're completely useless, IMO. Your average solo side quest at Mayhem 1 will yield better loot than several gold keys. Get in a group and play at Mayhem 3, and you'll be picking legendaries out of your teeth for 15 minutes after every activity.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I am only level 37 but have filled out Hunter to get to the end and now starting to add points in other trees. I know everyone was banging on about the Stalker tree being a Crit machine with Fade Away but with the skills I have gotten from the Hunter tree, especially the last one which lets you Crit on any part of the enemy I see nothing but red Crit symbols flashing up all the time. I use the Rakk Attack and the perks that give you an extra charge for it and 2 additional Rakks and they are great for shredding enemies, especially groups or ones that are difficult to hit. Also using the Acid Spiderant too which seems fine, he's good for taking the heat off me.

Jakobs snipes are amazing and can one shot most enemies, also Jakobs pistols are great too with the Crit ricochet. Torque shotguns pretty much break the game, get one with a high number of pellets, turn it on to sticky mode and just unload on bosses. When you reload the pellets explode but the damage multiplies by the amount of "gyrojets" stuck. I have one I'm using at the minute that has something like 97x12 damage and mag size is 5, doesn't sound great. However because one of my perks has a chance to add ammo back to the mag when you get a Crit and pretty much every shot gets Crits you can end up putting 15-20 shots in before it reloads and then when it does boom, watch as the enemy/boss is deleted. It's not worth using it on normal enemies as it's complete overkill so it's faster just to use a pistol and 1-2 shot them.

thanks for all this. That last part was really fun to read lol. It will be awhile before I've hit Hunter tree filled out so I'm just gonna start there for now :)

Apr 8, 2018
Lmao at the
Tommy Wiseau side mission
Also, I found this legendary Speedloadin' Hellwalker shotgun (pretty sure it's a nod to Doom?) and it's fucking amazing. I love the guitar riffs that play every time you shoot it lol.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
If you view your social list, you can view your profile and it shows game time on there.
even on PS4? if so great, i'm really curious how long i've been playing cause i'm lvl 43 and i still have at least 2 missions left.

Best Snipers: Jakobs Assault Rifles
Best Pistols: Jakobs Snipers
Best Shotguns: Explosions
Best SMGs: Vladof Pistols
Best Assault Rifles: My bear mech
Best Rocket Launchers: My boots

am i missing anything?

Apr 8, 2018
I found it in a random port-a-potty in Devil's Razor. Here's a pic of it:
dXMa3DC.jpg

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Tediore guns are fantastic. Playing Moze I got a couple shotguns with the alien barrel and it was amazing for leveling. They basically lobbed an elemental grenade that hit hard as hell.

Pretty sure that Hellwalker gun is a world drop. Got it from a loot hoarder last night and I agree with A Ream of Paper, its awesome.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Has anyone used the match making? Used it once and got joined with people that were somewhere I haven't been so left because didn't wanna get some stuff spoiled.

Using Zane, maybe with the right skills i'll be more powerful and capable.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I was only doing the main quest stuff and now am under leveled for the the quest I am in, even though everything was smooth sailing earlier(am omw to meet Sir Hammerlock).

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So, for those of you in mayhem already, are the drop rates on loot maybe ... a little too high?

edit - to answer Soupman, I've been matchmaking by just opening my game to the public and playing until someone joins. It takes a while for anyone to show up, but imo my way doesn't pose the risk of spawning me later in the story in someone else's game so it's better.

Oct 28, 2017
The music in general is fantastic, but the Michael McCann Promethea tracks are just fucking sublime. I had high hopes given his record, but it exceeded even those.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I hate those lol. Even if they are epic, I immediately sell them.

I instantly sell all Maliwan weapons. For Amara they are all hot trash. I also only like Jakob's shotguns and nothing else from them. Torque is where it's at for pistols, RPGs and some shotguns, and I also like the corp that has the guns you can toss on reload that explode. Those are pretty good for elemental shotguns. Atlas I think does the "smart" tracking shit. Can't stand those either.

Have not really found an SMG or Assault Rifle I care for yet though.

Maliwan SMG being kind of crap in 3 hurts me. They were my go to gun in 2

I loved Maliwan in Borderlands 2, and it's like WTF happened? Charge up time? Pure horse shit. They might be OK for someone like FL4K if he wants to go Ghostbusters on a boss, but for characters that need to move around constantly, they suck.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I instantly sell all Maliwan weapons. For Amara they are all hot trash. I also only like Jakob's shotguns and nothing else from them. Torque is where it's at for pistols, RPGs and some shotguns, and I also like the corp that has the guns you can toss on reload that explode. Those are pretty good for elemental shotguns. Atlas I think does the "smart" tracking shit. Can't stand those either.

I loved Maliwan in Borderlands 2, and it's like WTF happened? Charge up time? Pure horse shit. They might be OK for someone like FL4K if he wants to go Ghostbusters on a boss, but for characters that need to move around constantly, they suck.
Yep any gun that requires spinning or charging sucks for mobile characters. Which sucks because Maliwan was one of my faves in BL2. We got Maliwan shotguns, but at what cost?

Same thing with Atlas, I love the designs but the smart tracking system constantly messes me up if I'm aiming for someone who isnt tagged. I was worried the manufacturer gimmicks were gonna mean I instantly discard some weapons just because I dont like their gimmicks, and yep that's exactly what happened.

Also do we know when if ever the soundtrack will be on Spotify?

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at the
Tommy Wiseau side mission
Also, I found this legendary Speedloadin' Hellwalker shotgun (pretty sure it's a nod to Doom?) and it's fucking amazing. I love the guitar riffs that play every time you shoot it lol.
It is, I really want it!!

I found "the flood" earlier, which is an 8 round Jakob's handcannon that empties its clip in like a quarter of a second, if even that. It's incredible.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have one legendary Maliwan corrosive SMG that is melting shit left and right, but otherwise yeah..

I don't get this "Jakobs only for Shotguns" thing though. Pistols, Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles...If you get one with enough Damage+ and Crit Damage+ it doesn't really matter which weapon type it is, imo.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly I surprisingly love the COV pistols. I have an incendiary one with an +80% blade attachment that's about 100 less gear score than my 3 other guns but I'm still using it as Amara. Super easy to build up Rush stacks with and super easy to Blitz poor mobs with.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think another problem with Maliwan is that at least in playthrough 1 shields and armor aren't nearly as prevalent as 2 and TPS. Outside of the Maliwan enemies themselves which aren't even that common, I've been perfectly fine with having mostly incendiary or radiation guns.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the change to Maliwan. They weren't very unique in BL2 besides elements. I really dig their pistols and SMGs in this.

I'm also super happy Tediore got that needed buff. They were kinda weak in BL2 as well for reloading and exploding.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm really surprised that Jakobs (likely my least favorite manufacturer in BL2 aside from snipers) has become my go-to manufacturer for standard combat firearms and snipers. Their multi-shot pistols and tight pellet shotguns are just devastating with Zane in what's become first-shot "oh, you're frozen already?" combat. Because of my build with emphasis on movement, their high-damage snipers are also great, as I don't have to be accurate over more than a shot or two for most things to be dead.

...although I just found a Torgue rocket shotgun that took apart killavolt's red bar (on equal level) in about 4 reloads with sticky shots while co-opping with my wife. So good.

I had a Maliwan charge shotty that fired 3 rapid bursts that I loved until I outleveled it. I've not found one I like as much since from them. However the (mid-game weapon / quest spoiler)
talking flame pistol you get from the kill yourself quest is meltingly good with that tight 3-shot triangle of bullets it fires.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Speaking of manufacturers I really hope one of the DLCs focus on Vladof or Tediore. We've gotten plenty of content on all other gun manufacturers except for them.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Maliwan charge shotty that fired 3 rapid bursts that I loved until I outleveled it. I've not found one I like as much since from them. However the (mid-game weapon / quest spoiler)
talking flame pistol you get from the kill yourself quest is meltingly good with that tight 3-shot triangle of bullets it fires.

I've shot out the cameras on that quest both times I've done it out of spite because I can't stand that character and I refuse to give them the satisfaction!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The world map in this game is infuriating. Seems to reorient itself every time the map screen is opened, and you have to go back into the game itself to change the current mission/waypoint? All the choices around the menus just seem baffling.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Vladof DLC against an army of Iron Bears, oh boy.

The world map in this game is infuriating. Seems to reorient itself every time the map screen is opened, and you have to go back into the game itself to change the current mission/waypoint? All the choices around the menus just seem baffling.

The quests menu is to the left of the map, so it's a bit quickier than exit the map and cycle the active quests imo.
But yeah, we need to be able to cycle quests on the map screen.

And we absolutely need something that works like a Town Portal, come on.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely impressed by some of the foliage in this game. Looks nice :)

iBmeY0.png

And another I took last night

iBmnhD.png

Getting in only 90 minutes each day is depressing.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Started it up last night and am playing as FL4K as I generally use a hunter in a game when it's available. Did not expect my pet to be using a gun, lol.

I'm up to level 9 and have enjoyed it quite a bit so far. It really feels exactly the same as the previous games and for me, that's okay, but I can see how some folks are disappointed that there hasn't been an evolution at all

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this earlier as well, but can anyone tell me if it's better to go for mayhem mode on normal or tvhm after completing the first playthrough?

Oct 27, 2017
People are really ignoring weapons based on manufacturer? That's not a good idea. You never know when you'll be surprised. Also, don't ever drop legendaries until you try em. I've lost count of how many times a legendary that stats wise seems weak but ends up shredding because of hidden stats/perks. For example I got a legendary grenade that had damage half of my equipped one. I try it out and yes damage isn't great. But it would electrocute enemies and arc between up to 5 enemies and completely drain their shields down to zero.
I ignore Tediore weapons like the plague. Hated it in BL2 and still hate it now. Any tediore weapon i come across gets sold on site.

...although I just found a Torgue rocket shotgun that took apart killavolt's red bar (on equal level) in about 4 reloads with sticky shots while co-opping with my wife. So good.
Torgue shotguns that shoot pellets are downright broken in the best way possible. It's to the point that i don't even bother looking at shotguns from other manufacturers.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Can say with complete confidence now that all the boss fights in this game are cheap vile crap.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Can say with complete confidence now that all the boss fights in this game are cheap vile crap.
Disagree heavily. They're pretty much all the best in the series and the only one that blows is Killavolt but that's just cause he's not made for glass cannons/solo.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
How in the ever living fuck am I expected to dodge Troy's jump radial ball bullshit without grinding to out level him. He's 37 and I'm 36, not everything needs to be one shot bullshit.

I was at a high 9 with this game but now it's looking like a low 6. Especially after they quadruple down with the Chris Hardwick character, and it seems to me that all this game is giving me now are sniper rifles and launcher. All of them Torgue, because they would give me that shit stain of a manufacturer.