• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Thx. Gonna try for some burning Rackk attacks then. Was focusing on Fade Away action skill and thought I always had to keep the monkey equipped as my pet.

Absolutely not. You can use Spiderant (Health Regen+) with Invis. You can use the Skag (Attack+) with Rakks. Mix and Match as you please. But the more points you put in a tree, the more perks you get (evolved pet + bonus skill perks) for that particular pet/skill.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I might not be a fan of the story in this game. But by god the weapons and itemization are fucking amazing. Shit on every other shlooter from a great height, gonna be hard as fuck to play destiny 2 when the expansion drops

To this day, I still don't understand why Bungie can't be bothered to make a better variety of armor pieces and weapons in Destiny. It's something I've been vocal about for years. Nothing but re-skins on top of more re-skins. Yet, much smaller development teams are capable of making much better looking and more appealing loot. It's embarrassing. What gives?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Anyone found a good alternative for the official skill calculator now that it's shit the bed and isn't working? BL3 skills is out of date.

I wanna plan for a no-gun amara. Just melee and action skill spamming.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
For the lulz I wanna see a Zane barrier build use a hyperion shield and hyperion weapon.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man there are a lot of skins and heads for purchase with in game currency at Earl's vendor on the ship. Some of them look really cool too!

With this much stuff included in the base game I don't even mind if they add in some MTX skins and such.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I've found several legendary weapons so far, including the Shrek one. It's too bad they're all kind of meh stats wise. In to the storage bank they go.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I love this game. The vastly improved gunplay/sounds with the rumble feedback and HDR is making me hard :D

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else unable to hear the Radio playing?

I am playing with headphones and can hear everything else just fine... But when I walk up to the radio, I can barely hear it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think the campaign pacing is a bit screwy because while the zone design is so so so much better than past games (except for the lack of vending machines/fast travel points in the linear ones (it means you'll spend like 2 and a half hours straight of fighting 90% maliwan troops followed by 3 hours of shooting like 80% fanatics. Hopefully the proving grounds fix this but I havent gotten to them yet. Give me all enemy types at once cowards.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Some of my favorite special guns I came across:

A solar SMG that shoots bullets that "split" into a straight line. Baked enemies, and I didn't want to let it go, but alas.
A tediore corrosion SMG that when "thrown" spins in the air spraying the area with acid bullets.
The adorable tediore SMG that grows legs and walks around when thrown
A shock pistol (Maliwan?) that when shot, leaves behind a floating orb that crashes down on the enemy. Bang bang bang
A shock sniper (charge rifle?) that when shot, leaves behind a cluster of orbs surrounding the area that subsequently shocks the enemy, so you can sit back and just blast the enemy and let the orbs do some work. Rinse and repeat
LOVEMACHINE - the SMG that has a bulletspread of a heart. Not my kind of gun but thought that was a cute gimmick
Anger - a Torgue AR that gets "stronger" as you continually use it with no inherent drawbacks? You can flip a switch to turn it into "Happiness" that cures the Anger (and heals you?). Don't fully understand it, but when Anger is going, it packs a punch
A gun that talks shit to you (leaving this vague for reasons)

And of course (story spoiler)

The eridian gun that shoots... guns. At the cost of 10 Eridium

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I think the campaign pacing is a bit screwy because while the zone design is so so so much better than past games (except for the lack of vending machines/fast travel points in the linear ones (it means you'll spend like 2 and a half hours straight of fighting 90% maliwan troops followed by 3 hours of shooting like 80% fanatics. Hopefully the proving grounds fix this but I havent gotten to them yet. Give me all enemy types at once cowards.
This is another problem I have with the game. In Borderlands 2 you had a progression from bandits to Atlas. Here it's just bandits with a brief excursion to fight Maliwan. And the corporate mooks are more interesting to fight than bandits.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I a bad player, or does Zane just really suck compared to every other hunter?

I'm going down the Clone tree and it doesnt seem to even hold a candle against the other classes. FL4K with their pet, and Moze with Bear just dominate. I havent played with the Siren yet but I've read her skills are very powerful too.

I feel like the only thing saving me is the fact that this feels a lot closer to destiny now so my gunplay skills have transferred over well.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I play as Amara with my brother, but I'm going to do a solo playthrough with Zane. He doesnt seem to be as tank as FL4K, but I was downed once in the 90ish minutes I played with him.

Also, I found a weird thing. If you shoot a certain cereal box that's randomly scattered around pandora, it plays a weird guitar riff.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is another problem I have with the game. In Borderlands 2 you had a progression from bandits to Atlas. Here it's just bandits with a brief excursion to fight Maliwan. And the corporate mooks are more interesting to fight than bandits.
Maliwan would be better if they didn't spam heavies at you 24/7. Also they have robots in electra city and like, nowhere else.

Nov 8, 2017
Really hope Gearbox announces something regarding console performance. Enjoying the game but man splitscreen on a base PS4 feels like an unfinished video game, ugh.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play as Amara with my brother, but I'm going to do a solo playthrough with Zane. He doesnt seem to be as tank as FL4K, but I was downed once in the 90ish minutes I played with him.

Also, I found a weird thing. If you shoot a certain cereal box that's randomly scattered around pandora, it plays a weird guitar riff.

Really I feel the most helpful skill Zane has is his speed boosts.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I might not be a fan of the story in this game. But by god the weapons and itemization are fucking amazing. Shit on every other shlooter from a great height, gonna be hard as fuck to play destiny 2 when the expansion drops

This is why I was so excited for B3 to come out. The weapons/itemization/builds/customization are best in the genre.

Still playing the campaign but it's already in my top 3 for goty. Going from Division 2 earlier this year to this is an absurd jump.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Story finished, really liked it overall, bit long in the tooth, but entertained throughout, few more stuff and most areas left to do before jumping to TVHM.
Having a lot of fun finishing up on Mayhem 3, Legendaries dropping out my arse and Badasses are really fun to fight, really need to use each element type in that mode.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite weapon so far has been a rare Jakobs shotgun you get for siding with the "we're on the blood path now..." guy from that quest in the Anvil. One of those solid Jakobs shotties that is one round in the mag, and those are the best.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Really I feel the most helpful skill Zane has is his speed boosts.
I have Amara with 4 points in Mindfulness due to a class mod and with 25 stacks I can hit well over double speed pretty easily along with insane shield recharge rates (combined with a hyperion shield I'm basically unkillable). It's hilarious.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite weapon so far is the Legendary called The Flood, it's a revolver with a ridiculous firerate, rips through everything.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Disabling cloud saves would be a way.

A question. Were you presented with a dialog about what to do with the save? if upload the local or download the cloud save? Or did you lose your progress without any kind of warning?

No it was the cloud save shit. I picked my local file but it still went back to my old cloud save for some reason.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
just unlocked class mods

quite fitting that i had a legendary fl4k class mod drop right before with the fight against gigamind lol

fun games Morbius

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is why I was so excited for B3 to come out. The weapons/itemization/builds/customization are best in the genre.

Still playing the campaign but it's already in my top 3 for goty. Going from Division 2 earlier this year to this is an absurd jump.
It's less that the builds and itemization in the BL games are so good (although they are good, 3 especially), and more that the RPG elements in the Division and Destiny are fucking pitiful.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm playing co-op with my wife (she's FL4K and I'm Amara) and also playing Zane solo and... yeah I'm not feeling Amara's skills, especially the blue "punchy" tree - I think it's just that we're still early (~L12) and I'm ~31 with Zane and have a lot more points to play around with. While Amara's rush skills seem like they'll eventually make that super more effective, right now it hits like a wet paper towel that's only good at stripping shields from enemies that don't have good shields in the first place. And when it gets blocked by cover objects, I cry.

It may be the wording on her trees, but it seems as if you can change the element of any tree? Or is that just UI flair? There's also skills that talk about fast state switching and I'm boggled as to what that means.

Zane on the other hand, with the shield +damage and drone +damage and kill skills active and movement +damage and cryo stacking and and... wow can you wreck stuff solo. He pairs really well with a Jakobs shotgun-pistol in full cowboy mode. I'm even wearing the hat. =)
...except for the lack of vending machines/fast travel points in the linear ones...
This would be my biggest peeve on the maps - just not enough vending machines to sell at. I think they thought you'd want to fast-travel back to sanctuary more often?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing co-op with my wife (she's FL4K and I'm Amara) and also playing Zane solo and... yeah I'm not feeling Amara's skills, especially the blue "punchy" tree - I think it's just that we're still early (~L12) and I'm ~31 with Zane and have a lot more points to play around with. While Amara's rush skills seem like they'll eventually make that super more effective, right now it hits like a wet paper towel that's only good at stripping shields from enemies that don't have good shields in the first place. And when it gets blocked by cover objects, I cry.

It may be the wording on her trees, but it seems as if you can change the element of any tree? Or is that just UI flair? There's also skills that talk about fast state switching and I'm boggled as to what that means.

Zane on the other hand, with the shield +damage and drone +damage and kill skills active and movement +damage and cryo stacking and and... wow can you wreck stuff solo. He pairs really well with a Jakobs shotgun-pistol in full cowboy mode. I'm even wearing the hat. =)

This would be my biggest peeve on the maps - just not enough vending machines to sell at. I think they thought you'd want to fast-travel back to sanctuary more often?

Mystical Assault tree ain't very good early on. Definitely something that shines in later levels. Brawler Amara mixed with Fist of the Elements is where it is at. If you get that skill that increases your melee damage in FotE as soon as possible, she is an unstoppable force right out of the gate and only gets stronger.

The elements for each tree are simply unlocking them as an active element to be applied to your action skill (and potentially a number of other things if you invest in Fist of the Elements tree). Reason why for a character like Amara, it may be useful to dabble a little bit into every tree to unlock the two you don't start out with (corrosive and fire).

Jan 10, 2018
There'a always that one song in a Borderlands game that really catches my attention. A song that often has a very emotional and ambient quality to it. In Borderlands 3 it is without question the Athenas theme song. The part at 0.20 just makes me want to lay down and forget about all the troubles in the world:

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's already been said multiple times already by many people, but man, the writing here is so weak. For all the shit Borderlands 2 got for its writing, it was Pulitzer prize worthy compared to this. This game is very high on verbosity, but it doesn't actually have anything interesting to say. Barely any of the Easter eggs are as interesting as they were in the previous game either.

I guess that's what happens when your lead writer leaves to go do a TV show.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

cf7842476d08b567f8fe61f33da3c33e5a9bb1e5.gif

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
The guns in this game are so good. I have adored some basic blue weapons just as much as epics or legendaries. The variety is nuts, and sometimes a specific weapon just fits with your play style or build/gear and you never want to let it go. I guess that will be a nice thing about hitting max level / end game. When you get those great weapons, they will stay at the right level. I dragged a 201 gear score blue DAHL assault rifle through so many levels. It had dual scopes. Low zoom red dot with burst fire and zoomed in scope with semi-auto fire. Accurate as all hell and murdered in semi-auto.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
How does everything feel slow? The amount of moblitity is so vastly improved its crazy. Now you can also do things like fast travel, and perks that improved movement speed. Another weird take is being disappointed without getting a legendary and you're only level 10. I didn't get my first one until level 15, and I've received way more purples and legendaries with the same time played than I did in BL2 by quite a bit. The weapons, feeling, gun sounds, design, and manufactures are also vastly superior to previous games. I don't know, you're points aren't really justified, maybe you have outgrown the series and genre...

I think I just needed to get off of Pandora. Things seems to be clicking a lot more in the new area.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Mystical Assault tree ain't very good early on. Definitely something that shines in later levels. Brawler Amara mixed with Fist of the Elements is where it is at. If you get that skill that increases your melee damage in FotE as soon as possible, she is an unstoppable force right out of the gate and only gets stronger.
Thanks for the info. I'll try a respec and see if I'm more effective until I get higher levels with her.
The elements for each tree are simply unlocking them as an active element to be applied to your action skill (and potentially a number of other things if you invest in Fist of the Elements tree). Reason why for a character like Amara, it may be useful to dabble a little bit into every tree to unlock the two you don't start out with (corrosive and fire).
AH OK - so there's a skill unlock for using the different elements with any given power? I'll dig deeper.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
What's with these articles i'm seeing recommending resolution mode over performance? (saw eurogamer and polygon saying the same thing) Normally I'm fine with 30fps for some better visuals, but there seemed to be noticeable input lag on my 1x with resolution mode versus performance. That is a big no no, I've been with performance mode now for 20+ hours and i've been loving it. Not a constant 60fps, but better than the choppy performance in resolution mode combined with the input lag.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
What's with these articles i'm seeing recommending resolution mode over performance? (saw eurogamer and polygon saying the same thing) Normally I'm fine with 30fps for some better visuals, but there seemed to be noticeable input lag on my 1x with resolution mode versus performance. That is a big no no, I've been with performance mode now for 20+ hours and i've been loving it. Not a constant 60fps, but better than the choppy performance in resolution mode combined with the input lag.
DF vastly prefers stability over everything. It also seems like they reviewed the game on patch 1.00 and patch 1.01 adds performance improvements.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can you post your Zane skill tree? I'm trying to salvage my character lol. I'm lvl 21 at the moment, and would rather fix it than start up a different hunter from the beginning.

Edited to clear up, I know you can respec I meant that I didnt want to restart the game with one of the other hunters.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Same here. People are recommending resolution mode on 1x since it's solid 30fps 90% of the time, but it just plays terribly. I too felt input lag when I tried it out and I immediately switched back.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. People are recommending resolution mode on 1x since it's solid 30fps 90% of the time, but it just plays terribly. I too felt input lag when I tried it out and I immediately switched back.
I'd say it's less input lag and (nearly) 60fps just being more responsive. It's why everyone loves 60fps in hack and slashers