• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Yes. X1X has the best overall console performance because its resolution mode holds a hard 30 and performance mode maintain higher numbers but is never locked/anywhere close to locked. PS4 Pro has the worst resolution mode, it's like someone has a strobe light on. None of the comparison videos are past the first hour of the game so it might look 'fine' to some people but it gets much, much worse from there. Performance mode on PS4 Pro is decent and the only way to play the game but it could still be much better.

PS4 Pro vs. Base PS4 - https://youtu.be/NvhYFC11hEA

Xbox One X vs. Pro PS4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7IET2C6ks8
Damn, Pro Res mode going under 25 at times...

Its the best version if base ps4 is the only console you own

Otherwise go xbox one x/ps4 pro for performance mode. Locked 30fps still looks like crap in this game for some reason.
Yes, locked is cool but 30fps is nope. Another game to play on PS5 I guess.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I'm lvl 33 with Moze, and I'm finding her mech ability really strong. Huge dmg output, that is amazing for nuking big targets like bosses or badasses. It's also a great way to stay safe if you use it a bit more defensibly - almost dead? No problems, jump inside the mech and clear some of the pressure on the battlefield off the board

Yeah I'm only level 16 but I'm loving Iron Bear, it's saved my ass many times.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Died twelve times to Captain Truant now. The fastest way to actually get him low is to stay close, yet doing that just ends up with my shields being destroyed in a single hit, then the next hit I am in fight for your life mode. Staying far away does absolutely nothing, because walls don't protect you in the slightest. Seriously WTF with the boss damage output in this game? Funny thing too is that I've even watched a few videos on this boss fight, and he NEVER does the carpet bombing, all shield shit attacks on the players in the videos, and their shields barely get damaged at all. It's like I'm stuck in True Vault Hunter mode or something.

I have been stuck at 403 shields now for the last six levels too, and every single time a new shield drops, it's horrible and nowhere near as good as what I am currently wearing.

All of the vendor loot is shit too. Borderlands 2 was nothing like this in terms of loot drops, and I'm about to use the key exploit, because fuck this.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man, good Gravy.

I have 3 golden keys but they are not showing up in my game. I check in the social area and it says I have them, but in game when I go to the chest its just red and says I have no keys. Perhaps there's a point in the game where you gain the ability to unlock the golden chest? I know the answer is going to super-simple and I'm going to feel lame lol.

Also, in case anyone is having a hard time with Mouthpiece, I threw together a little video of what to watch out for, and how to beat him (plus that one side-quest available afterward).

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
If I was playing by myself, I'd probably be bored out of my mind, but rolling with two other people is fun. We're at the point where there is so much happening on the screen each fight that it's funny to watch. Hasn't been anything that challenged us yet, though.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Died twelve times to Captain Truant now. The fastest way to actually get him low is to stay close, yet doing that just ends up with my shields being destroyed in a single hit, then the next hit I am in fight for your life mode. Staying far away does absolutely nothing, because walls don't protect you in the slightest. Seriously WTF with the boss damage output in this game? Funny thing too is that I've even watched a few videos on this boss fight, and he NEVER does the carpet bombing, all shield shit attacks on the players in the videos, and their shields barely get damaged at all. It's like I'm stuck in True Vault Hunter mode or something.

I have been stuck at 403 shields now for the last six levels too, and every single time a new shield drops, it's horrible and nowhere near as good as what I am currently wearing.

All of the vendor loot is shit too. Borderlands 2 was nothing like this in terms of loot drops, and I'm about to use the key exploit, because fuck this.
You might be the unluckiest person around if youre exploring and the chests you find dont give you anything better

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017

I had no issue with Truant, beat him first try actually... some of the experiences I've read have been super uneven. Just super garbage drops for some people I guess?

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone know what specifically counts for 100% map completion?

I have some maps that have some brown unexplored areas (not large ones though) and have 100% and others that don't. I typically do all of the challenges too.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Oh man, good Gravy.

I have 3 golden keys but they are not showing up in my game. I check in the social area and it says I have them, but in game when I go to the chest its just red and says I have no keys. Perhaps there's a point in the game where you gain the ability to unlock the golden chest? I know the answer is going to super-simple and I'm going to feel lame lol.

Also, in case anyone is having a hard time with Mouthpiece, I threw together a little video of what to watch out for, and how to beat him (plus that one side-quest available afterward).

I got my keys immediately and when I got to the Golden Chest I used 2 successfully. Under social setting I think it shows I have 8 keys. Not sure what's going with yours?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I had no issue with Truant, beat him first try actually... some of the experiences I've read have been super uneven. Just super garbage drops for some people I guess?
Rngesus giveth and taketh

I have some maps that have some brown unexplored areas (not large ones though) and have 100% and others that don't. I typically do all of the challenges too.
Im guessing a mix of crew challenges and side quests. Some side quests are locked till later too

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
redeem the keys in game and not on vip.borderlands.com

there's apparently an issue which means redeeming them on that site wont work. It previously did work on the old Shift site up until yesterday but gearbox put a stop to that

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of getting this on my pc instead of the one x for performance, but all my friends are on Xbox. Does the game have matchmaking?

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there any way to turn that 3D map so you can more easily see the floors below? It would be helpful in some place.... What's the point of a 3D map if you can only see it from above?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Oh and I had no idea that expanding your bag/ammo now useS MONEY woohoo!!! I spent every damn penny of my 25K when I got there for the first time. And it looks like Eridium is my not cosmetics now? That's cool but I really don't care about that stuff so i won't have to farm eridium unless it has other uses later.

Just got past the first planet. I am level 11 FL4K and having more fun as time goes on with him (and the new build which is way better than what I had been using). Game is super good I'm having a blast. The writing is terribad level but I expected that and eh whatevs. Gameplay is king and the loot...THE LOOT!!!

Dec 20, 2017
Oh man, good Gravy.

Under the social menu, did you go through your "emails" where you get your VIP gun rewards? I think I had to go through all of those before my three keys showed up.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh and I had no idea that expanding your bag/ammo now useS MONEY woohoo!!! I spent every damn penny of my 25K when I got there for the first time. And it looks like Eridium is my not cosmetics now? That's cool but I really don't care about that stuff so i won't have to farm eridium unless it has other uses later.

Just got past the first planet. I am level 11 FL4K and having more fun as time goes on with him (and the new build which is way better than what I had been using). Game is super good I'm having a blast. The writing is terribad level but I expected that and eh whatevs. Gameplay is king and the loot...THE LOOT!!!

Did you not see the vending machine next to Earl? There is some "anointed" gear sold for eridiums in there which I believe you can't get anywhere else(in the campaign, at least).

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
Took me a couple tries to beat the guy who electrifies the floor. Wasted a good amount of money on revives lol. Now, I'm just gonna focus on the main story for a bit.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Next to Earl is a vending machine for weapons that takes Eridium. They are all typically very good and anointed.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Press the left stick on a controller, no idea what key it is on pc, but it should be listed on the map screen just above the fast travel selection "button Zone Progress".

You need to clear everything listed under "Challenges", all missions, discover all areas, find all red chests and interact with all eridian writing once you can.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
You might be the unluckiest person around if youre exploring and the chests you find dont give you anything better
that sounds pretty typical for my entire experience playing the borderlands games, not so much presequel because i could recycle all my weapons into slightly better ones. But this games scaling is very strange because normally enemies that are higher level than you are unstoppable, strong enough that you do 0 damage if their 2-3 levels higher. But so far, I used a level 4 purple gun until I was like 13 because it would melt everything, and i just hit 20 and all my stuff is level 14~. Everything I've found since then has been awful, in 1 and 2 I would start using the golden chest to get new equipment but since this is a new release, I dont exactly have the limitless keys I usually do(the exploit would get tedious). Any 'high' level enemies still take damage and dish out a little bit extra but I wouldnt be able to really tell apart a level 15 or level 20 enemy if I was level 16 for example, which I love btw.

The entire game feels so much easier and fluid compared to previous entries, me and my co-op partner haven't died to anything yet and just beat our 3rd planet. I was dreading killavolt but he was easy too. Even Legendaries are way more plentiful, my friends typhon chests have been giving him tons of cosmetics and he's nearly decked out entirely in legendaries.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I have been doing all of the side quests in any given area before moving on, I am now level 18 on Athenas and no, I am not getting any upgrades. I got a single legendary shotgun a while back, and even that was more of a sidegrade to the level 12 shotgun I am still using. The shields I keep seeing drop are 200 or lower, most of the weapons that are not green or gray are sniper rifles, and I've been trashing dozens of them already because not a single one is an upgrade.

Chests rarely ever drop anything above green unless it's a Typhon chest, and those do not scale to level. They seem tied to the general level of the area, so if I do them later...I get crap of course. The blues that do happen to drop mostly have no good modifiers, or they are Malawan, which I can't stand for bosses since you have to charge them up first.

Again, something seems really wrong. It is not nostalgia goggles either, but Borderlands 2 regularly dropped upgrades as you played. They might not have always been massive, but each time a blue or purple dropped, it typically was better if it was a level or two higher than what you currently had. That's not been my experience at all so far with this game.

Popelady

Growth Manager at Splash Damage
Verified
Mar 11, 2019

The "get close" actually really useful, this seems to be the closest I've gotten to him dying. I've been stuck on him for ageeesss thank you 🙏

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
What is up with the bosses in this game? The difficulty (their damage output) is like 10x that of Borderlands 2. I'm only on the third (I think) proper main story boss, and yet I'm constantly hit by unavoidable elemental bowling balls as well as hit by explosions while I am behind walls. My shields get destroyed from full in a single hit and I am constantly at half life. How am I supposed to even be able to attack the boss if I can't even stop running?

On top of that, the gear is 100% fucked. I might get one upgrade every three or four hours. I'm stuck using shit from five levels ago, because all that drops are grays, greens or same level "blue" items that aren't even upgrades in any way.

It sounds like you're ignoring the boss mechanics and just facetanking the boss and expecting positive results from that.

You can dodge the bowling ball. It's designed to keep you from camping in one spot. Just pay attention to his attack patterns and keep mobile.

Also there are like a million adds in that fight, so FFYL should only mean "free shields".

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Really haven't had enough time these past few days to justify buying the game but my schedule has finally opened up. Downloading right now on PC, hit me up. EGS: vestanx

VcgQBmL.png

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this, but this game needs to take a page out of that most recent Bubsy game's book and add a verbosity, except instead of turning down quips, I want to turn down the amount of reacting to elemental effects, because oh my god, this game needs to shut the hell up once in a while. Between your character and the enemies just screaming literally all the time, it just gets so grating. That Killavolt fight was straight "AHH OOOH NO AAAAH EEEEEH AAAAHNAOOO NOOOOO AAAAAHA EEEEEEYAAAA RRAAHHHERRRG NOOOOO EEEEEEEEHE AAAAAAAH OH NOOOO NOO NOOOO AHHHHH" for minutes on fucking end.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The "get close" actually really useful, this seems to be the closest I've gotten to him dying. I've been stuck on him for ageeesss thank you 🙏

Well, if you want to actually straight up fight the boss as they intended, and not exploit it, that's the easiest way I've found, but then I get two-rounded and die anyway. If grunts are around it's not too bad, but I kept dying with none in range. You can however exploit the hell out of the fight and take no damage if you really want. I don't like cheesing bosses like that, but I'm reaching a point to where I feel like I need to. I feel severely ill equipped for this fight, yet it's a progression boss so I have nowhere to go to "farm" better gear anyway.

whats the gold key exploit?

I've done it once just to see if it worked, but I haven't been using it really myself yet since not only is it tedious, but you wouldn't really want to do this until level 50 anyway, if you were going to do it. Unless you're just stuck with no upgrades...

It sounds like you're ignoring the boss mechanics and just facetanking the boss and expecting positive results from that.

You can dodge the bowling ball. It's designed to keep you from camping in one spot. Just pay attention to his attack patterns and keep mobile.

Also there are like a million adds in that fight, so FFYL should only mean "free shields".

Except that's not what I am doing. You can run to the side of the ice shit that travels the halls, but how do you avoid the five orbs that explode and puke lava everywhere? Tried shooting them, tried shooting his generator, and they just stay up until they eventually blow up. Staying in the halls magically causes those (the tracking) orbs to blow me up anyway and running around the map does nothing either. It just prolongs the fight. I've consistently gotten rid of his shields by staying close, while I've done nothing but die at range. And in case you missed it, I can't hit adds that aren't near me. They are usually camping in the halls, and only occasionally drop down into the pit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So if you shoot sticky projectiles and then switch firing modes to impact all the grenades detonate immediately

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, good Gravy.

I've put in multiple golden key codes and they show up immediately... until yesterday.

Put in 4 different golden key codes on the Shift website, all three say redeemed for my PSN account, but none of them showed up in game.

They were free codes and there will be more sooner or later, but it's definitely annoying to lose out on that many.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you want to actually straight up fight the boss as they intended, and not exploit it, that's the easiest way I've found, but then I get two-rounded and die anyway. If grunts are around it's not too bad, but I kept dying with none in range. You can however exploit the hell out of the fight and take no damage if you really want. I don't like cheesing bosses like that, but I'm reaching a point to where I feel like I need to. I feel severely ill equipped for this fight, yet it's a progression boss so I have nowhere to go to "farm" better gear anyway.

I've done it once just to see if it worked, but I haven't been using it really myself yet since not only is it tedious, but you wouldn't really want to do this until level 50 anyway, if you were going to do it. Unless you're just stuck with no upgrades...

Except that's not what I am doing. You can run to the side of the ice shit that travels the halls, but how do you avoid the five orbs that explode and puke lava everywhere? Tried shooting them, tried shooting his generator, and they just stay up until they eventually blow up. Staying in the halls magically causes those orbs to blow me up anyway and running around the map does nothing either. It just prolongs the fight. I've consistently gotten rid of his shields by staying close, while I've done nothing but die at range. And in case you missed it, I can't hit adds that aren't near me. They are usually camping in the halls, and only occasionally drop down into the pit.
thanks

side note, has anyone lost items on PS4? My friend (friend A) and I both lost items today on ps4. I was playing solo with a full inventory, traveled back to sanctuary and my 2nd gun slot was empty. Luckily it was just some green/blue sniper i was messing with before planning to sell. Friend A's loss was worse. He was playing with another friend (friend B) of ours and friend B got a 300% melee shield to drop.Friend B gave it to friend A who equipped it then friend B as host, quit the session. When friend A loaded back into his game, he had no shield equipped and it seems to have been lost.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It's Borderlands. Builds are the main reason why this game is so good and finding the guns that compliment them.

But with respecs fully available and cheap, you should level up choosing the best first tier skills for 5 levels, the figure out which tier 1 and 2 combo you want to pursue and respec as necessary. Then figure out which mid tier skill you want to mess with and respec into that. Etc, etc.

Building down a tree over 20+ levels toward a goal, taking skills that don't help you very much NOW while leveling isn't as beneficial IMO.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
God these are probably the most cringiest villains in videogame history. Who the hell even come up with them after brilliant Handsome Jack? I mean, seriously, they've been making that game for years and no one saw that?

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Only 2 bosses I've had real trouble with were Killavolt (who was 2 lvls higher when I faced him for some reason) and Katakawa Ball thing. He is a cunt, absolute cunt. Insane defense and damage output.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Again, something seems really wrong. It is not nostalgia goggles either, but Borderlands 2 regularly dropped upgrades as you played. They might not have always been massive, but each time a blue or purple dropped, it typically was better if it was a level or two higher than what you currently had. That's not been my experience at all so far with this game.

Yeah, that's weird. I'm level 17 and just got off Athenas, and I've been consistently getting upgrades all along, like, it's been difficult at times deciding what to sell or what to keep. So dunno what's up with your luck but that hasn't been my experience at all.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Finally on to this game full time, so much loot! PC performance could be better but hopefully some performance tweaks iron that out. At the moment I'm getting through my podcasts etc while playing this one, pew pew pew!

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

damn anointed perks just have to be equipped and not even out to work? lol that guess highest lvl mayhem will require these. Also glad to know that perks don't stack so I dont waste eridium later on getting dupes

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017

Just got finished fighting him. My strategy was to basically get him stuck at the bottom of the stairs and just bombard him with everything I had. His AOE attacks normally miss and hits the wall near him. I kinda cheesed it but took him out first try.

The positional audio stuff in this game drives me nuts. If I'm facing a character who's speaking then I get the full audio, but if I turn my back the volume cuts down significantly and I can barely hear what they're saying. I wish I could disable that.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

Except that's not what I am doing. You can run to the side of the ice shit that travels the halls, but how do you avoid the five orbs that explode and puke lava everywhere? Tried shooting them, tried shooting his generator, and they just stay up until they eventually blow up. Staying in the halls magically causes those (the tracking) orbs to blow me up anyway and running around the map does nothing either. It just prolongs the fight. I've consistently gotten rid of his shields by staying close, while I've done nothing but die at range. And in case you missed it, I can't hit adds that aren't near me. They are usually camping in the halls, and only occasionally drop down into the pit.
You shoot the tracking orbs to kill them.

You need to stay mobile. You can use the halls for cover but be on the lookout for the bowling ball and jump into the center courtyard when that nears (or just shoot it, apparently). Also even a white shock weapon can be useful in bringing down his shield, at which point you can go to town on his weakpoint.

Or you could just circle strafe him and continually shoot him in the back with a shotgun, endlessly staggering him, which is apparently a thing.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Being forced to sit through endless dialogue and cutscenes just for the next objective to unlock is starting to make me fatigued just like in every previous BL game. Which is a major shame because the gunplay and loot are super fun. I just couldn't care less about any of the characters and anything they have to say because it's all written so poorly and everything is so loud and screamo that I'm at that point where I'm getting extra bored.

On top of having to go through 3 different screens to fast travel to a different map, or only tracking one quest at a time makes this feel like I'm playing a throwback to 2009.

tl;dr: when I'm playing the game: 8/10, anytime I'm forced to not play -8/10

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You shoot the tracking orbs to kill them.

You need to stay mobile. You can use the halls for cover but be on the lookout for the bowling ball and jump into the center courtyard when that nears (or just shoot it, apparently). Also even a white shock weapon can be useful in bringing down his shield, at which point you can go to town on his weakpoint.

Or you could just circle strafe him and continually shoot him in the back with a shotgun, endlessly staggering him, which is apparently a thing.

I literally shot every orb to see if I could destroy them and they never expired. Not once. Also, I just reset the game until a vendor had a decent upgrade...got the boss down to half health yet again, then he carpet bombs the area with lava and even with a few grunts dropping down, I would gain second wind, shoot him once or twice only to lose all of my life again and this kept happening until there were no more grunts in the area. Circling him and shooting his back is what I've been doing, and it works until he just randomly pukes elemental effect all over the screen that cannot be avoided.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Running out of ammo constantly is killing my enjoyment.

Are you buying ammo SDUs from Marcus? The game practically throws money at you and once you get the first few SDUs for the weapons you use ammo pretty much ceases to be a concern.
Only 2 bosses I've had real trouble with were Killavolt (who was 2 lvls higher when I faced him for some reason) and Katakawa Ball thing. He is a cunt, absolute cunt. Insane defense and damage output.
I had a lot of trouble with Katagawa Ball but the only really dangerous move he has is his rocket barrage, which is basically a one hit even if you're moving in the open. Knowing his timing was a godsend. Also useful were corrosive shotguns. And you can destroy the side pods which, IIRC, reduce the number of rockets.

His phase 2 and 3 were a joke because he no longer could shoot rockets.
I literally shot every orb to see if I could destroy them and they never expired. Not once. Also, I just reset the game until a vendor had a decent upgrade...got the boss down to half health yet again, then he carpet bombs the area with lava and even with a few grunts dropping down, I would gain second wind, shoot him once or twice only to lose all of my life again and this kept happening until there were no more grunts in the area. Circling him and shooting his back is what I've been doing, and it works until he just randomly pukes elemental effect all over the screen that cannot be avoided.
Check this out.

And not only is the fire patch move easily avoidable, being a fire globe arcing slowly through the air, it's not particularly dangerous and you can stand in it for a few seconds without losing shields.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
You're kidding right? Iron Bear with dual miniguns is basically a "Melt boss" button. Not to mention that while Iron Bear is taking damage you are not, and exiting Iron Bear refills your shields.

Maybe I'm spec-ing it wrong? I dunno. I'm level 15 and I rarely ever use the mech. Maybe it'll become more useful to me later in the game.