• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
So when you get a "Kill 25/25 enemies with pistols" notification- is that only for endgame stuff later or have I just not progressed far enough to unlock it? I can see the zone-specific stuff on the map screen.
Try zooming all the way out to galaxy view, a bunch of challenges should pop up. Not sure if it's what you're looking for though.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah goddangit, I bought the game from cdkeys, and neither code they sent me have worked. Get an error message saying those codes have already been used

At least I'm still kneedeep in Pillars of Eternity 2, so I have something to pass the time with before I hear back from cdkeys

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Killed the first real boss with each character. Not sure what they were thinking with two straight unskippable cutscenes before you even get the Claptrap walk.

It's Borderlands so I know I'm going to love it over time. But I'm not really getting the everything across the board is so improved vibe so many seem to be.

The guns are the biggest improvement. Even level 1 guns have multiple fire modes, including both basic options like single shot or triple burst and completely different modes like rockets from a pistol. They also have way more additional effects than before. Every other gun seems to have extra melee damage. A bunch of guns have had a frontal shield out while hipfiring. There's more weird stuff like one shot shotguns and four shot pistols. Every gun is like a legendary from prior games. It's fucking crazy.

Gunplay is more of a mixed bag. Some things feel great, like that four shot pistol. But other things, like the random knockback and knockdown from shotguns are completely unacceptable. I cannot stand having such strong crowd control entirely detached from player control. Make that shit alt fire so it can be controlled. Don't just randomly fucking knock enemies away with a close range weapon. I hate it so intensely that I just flatout refuse to use shotguns period so long as they have such an effect. As a heavy shotgun user in prior games, I would happily trade literally every single gunplay improvement for the removal of this one effect. I'm fucking praying I just got unlucky with the shotguns I got and this doesn't end up being a universal shotgun feature.

There's a bunch of minor annoyances around as well. The most baffling is the word 'purchased' covering your ammo count for a few seconds at ammo vendors. It's the one single thing on your screen where there's actual utility to look at directly after buying ammo and a small single word moves directly on top of it. The vendors in general are massive downgrades, being dramatically harder to visually scan than before. They also just straightup take longer to sift through for no real reason. I've also hit some minor bugs, with some menus simply not showing certain options some of the time. My first visit to the catch a ride machine didn't have an option to actually spawn a vehicle even after I went through the tutorial multiple times. The map wouldn't let me go global after killing the first boss. There's also some issues with some menus occasionally when you're playing with a controller while a keyboard is connected. It's really minor stuff for a first day launch but it does add up.

Oh, and the new map is garbage. This kind of complicated 3D map really only works in games with a lot of micro-detail in the environments. Metroid Prime absolutely needed it. In Borderlands it just makes simple map stuff unnecessarily convoluted. Even the basic up-down layer stuff makes things more difficult rather than easier when that seems to be the whole reason for the map changes in the first place.

Back to improvements, it almost doesn't need to be said but some crazy people actually like PreSeq characters so I'm going to say it anyway: I cannot think of a single talent tree in any game I have ever played that isn't light years behind this game, including prior BL games. More recent Etrian Odyssey games are the only potential competition but they cheat hardcore by having lots of active abilities. It's absurd just how amazing these characters are. Like yeah I'm still annoyed that Phaseslam has a long cooldown and yeah Zane is complete dogshit super early in the game (like the first five levels: who cares?) but the overall design for every single character is shockingly good.

Just fix the bugs and weird shit (I'll get over the map) and give me a shotgun that doesn't knock enemies around and this'll be the BL game I've waited years for.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Killed the first real boss with each character. Not sure what they were thinking with two straight unskippable cutscenes before you even get the Claptrap walk.

It's Borderlands so I know I'm going to love it over time. But I'm not really getting the everything across the board is so improved vibe so many seem to be.

The guns are the biggest improvement. Even level 1 guns have multiple fire modes, including both basic options like single shot or triple burst and completely different modes like rockets from a pistol. They also have way more additional effects than before. Every other gun seems to have extra melee damage. A bunch of guns have had a frontal shield out while hipfiring. There's more weird stuff like one shot shotguns and four shot pistols. Every gun is like a legendary from prior games. It's fucking crazy.

Gunplay is more of a mixed bag. Some things feel great, like that four shot pistol. But other things, like the random knockback and knockdown from shotguns are completely unacceptable. I cannot stand having such strong crowd control entirely detached from player control. Make that shit alt fire so it can be controlled. Don't just randomly fucking knock enemies away with a close range weapon. I hate it so intensely that I just flatout refuse to use shotguns period so long as they have such an effect. As a heavy shotgun user in prior games, I would happily trade literally every single gunplay improvement for the removal of this one effect. I'm fucking praying I just got unlucky with the shotguns I got and this doesn't end up being a universal shotgun feature.

There's a bunch of minor annoyances around as well. The most baffling is the word 'purchased' covering your ammo count for a few seconds at ammo vendors. It's the one single thing on your screen where there's actual utility to look at directly after buying ammo and a small single word moves directly on top of it. The vendors in general are massive downgrades, being dramatically harder to visually scan than before. They also just straightup take longer to sift through for no real reason. I've also hit some minor bugs, with some menus simply not showing certain options some of the time. My first visit to the catch a ride machine didn't have an option to actually spawn a vehicle even after I went through the tutorial multiple times. The map wouldn't let me go global after killing the first boss. There's also some issues with some menus occasionally when you're playing with a controller while a keyboard is connected. It's really minor stuff for a first day launch but it does add up.

Oh, and the new map is garbage. This kind of complicated 3D map really only works in games with a lot of micro-detail in the environments. Metroid Prime absolutely needed it. In Borderlands it just makes simple map stuff unnecessarily convoluted. Even the basic up-down layer stuff makes things more difficult rather than easier when that seems to be the whole reason for the map changes in the first place.

Back to improvements, it almost doesn't need to be said but some crazy people actually like PreSeq characters so I'm going to say it anyway: I cannot think of a single talent tree in any game I have ever played that isn't light years behind this game, including prior BL games. More recent Etrian Odyssey games are the only potential competition but they cheat hardcore by having lots of active abilities. It's absurd just how amazing these characters are. Like yeah I'm still annoyed that Phaseslam has a long cooldown and yeah Zane is complete dogshit super early in the game (like the first five levels: who cares?) but the overall design for every single character is shockingly good.

Just fix the bugs and weird shit (I'll get over the map) and give me a shotgun that doesn't knock enemies around and this'll be the BL game I've waited years for.

Does Zane get better? I'm at level 6 and feel very weak and don't know what tree(s) to invest in.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like they shipped out fuck all PC hard copies in Australia, basically sold out everywhere. EB of all places said they only got enough to cover predorders. Almost seems like it was intentional to force people to pay the extra $20-$30 on the EGS store.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
First day with the game. No crashes, no bugs, quite pleased with how it ran.
Definitely loving Amara as a character.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Does Zane get better? I'm at level 6 and feel very weak and don't know what tree(s) to invest in.

The issue with Zane early is that he doesn't really have any high base damage abilities so he's dependent on his weapons in a way other characters aren't.

The one thing I strongly recommend is deactivating one of his skills when appropriate. Grenades are way better than the barrier or drone for the first real boss (speaker dude), for example. Don't forget that you don't absolutely need to go grenadeless all the time.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There's a weighty kind of swiminess to the movement that's immediately noticeable and off putting. I messed with the deadzones for about 15 minutes and found no discernible difference. I'll deal and get used to it eventually but I hate that more and more games seem to be incorporating this.
Yep I noticed this too

Like the momentum from moving carries on even after you stop moving

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Playing on PS4 pro, when going through different weapons there's a small frame rate problem EVERY time you switch to a different weapon/tooltip. Its so annoying. And i can hear the game disc inside going crazy for half a sec EVERY time i change weapon on the inventory.

Only real issue so far.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on PS4 pro, when going through different weapons there's a small frame rate problem EVERY time you switch to a different weapon/tooltip. Its so annoying. And i can hear the game disc inside going crazy for half a sec EVERY time i change weapon on the inventory.

Only real issue so far.
Interesting, did not notice it on the digital version.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The issue with Zane early is that he doesn't really have any high base damage abilities so he's dependent on his weapons in a way other characters aren't.

The one thing I strongly recommend is deactivating one of his skills when appropriate. Grenades are way better than the barrier or drone for the first real boss (speaker dude), for example. Don't forget that you don't absolutely need to go grenadeless all the time.

Think I'm going to try Fl4k or the siren to see if I like those better. None of his abilities I like.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So for Amara's Do Harm skill, does the increased action skill damage only apply after you use her action skill (i.e. only useful with her capstone) or what? I may just be misreading it.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Can you save loadouts? I thought I read a preview that said you could but don't see the option anywhere.

Nearly level 10 and don't think I'm digging Zane, might restart with one of the others. His action skills seem lacklustre.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also for Amara's clarity is the health regen up to 5% without the double from the action skill? So in other words would you be able to get up to +10% health per second?

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just powering through these unskippable opening cutscenes with each class so I'll have it done. REALLY annoying that there's no way around that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also I fail to see why anyone would take phaseslam over phasecast when the former can be used on enemies far away from you AND has a shorter cooldown

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also I fail to see why anyone would take phaseslam over phasecast when the former can be used on enemies far away from you AND has a shorter cooldown

I ain't gonna be very far away when I'm meleeing all the time. Not to mention an enemy is most vulnerable to melee when knocked down.

Slam has proven quite useful to me despite my doubts about it, although I doubt I'll use it forever when I'm leveled up.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I ain't gonna be very far away when I'm meleeing all the time. Not to mention an enemy is most vulnerable to melee when knocked down.

Slam has proven quite useful to me despite my doubts about it, although I doubt I'll use it forever when I'm leveled up.
The 7 second extra CD is brutal plus the aforementioned complete lack of range

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to the ship with my crew, mostly done for tonight. Loving the improved action mechanics but man have I been getting jack shit weapons wise. Everything's unwieldy, does fuck all damage, or chews threw ammo like crazy.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple of hours and I'm almost at level 9 with Zane...and I'm really enjoying it. It just "feels" better with the QOL updates, gunplay, moving your character (especially being able to mantle), and everything else. I'm having a blast so far and I can't wait to play more.

Also, I thought I would dislike not being able to throw grenades with Zane, but I'm not missing it at all. Having two skills at once to use is pretty fun.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
One thing bugging me is that some characters come off as equally corny replicas of Vaughn,
Ava (to an extent), Rhys (I know a change of voice actor, but the new personality is bizarre), and certainly a few enemy bosses
come to mind. The more serious ones deliver far more convincing performances.

I really like manufacturers sending you mailbox rewards for using their weapons heaps.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Played for a little over three hours tonight. Gonna go for that first boss with my friend first thing tomorrow. The gunplay feels like a vast improvement over the previous games. Enemies react to your shots so much more. Hitting an enemy with a shotgun blast to the chest and watching them fly backwards never gets old. One enemy was jumping at me and my friend cut their leg off MID AIR before they could reach me. Then I melee'd an enemy and they staggered into my friend who finished them off with a melee attack of their own. The alternate fire modes are awesome too. Movement feels SO. MUCH. BETTER. The ability to mantle alone alleviates so many issues with traversal and makes exploring a lot more fun. Especially vertical exploration.

Performance has been pretty good on my PS4 Pro in performance mode. They definitely need to patch the menus though. They are very laggy and I can see that becoming more and more frustrating as time goes on. And there was one enemy that we encountered that seems like a special event... but it seemingly flew into space before we can finish it off. The side quest or event or whatever still completed though so maybe you weren't supposed to kill it there.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got to level 11 and reached the ship with a friend.

Game feels a hell of a lot better gunplay wise, and the loot seems way more interesting in general. Currently using a really nice AR that's actually just pretty standard. Has a sight, 45 bullets in the clip and just does a ton of consistent damage. Pistol with a taze I can shoot out that works like a trap hitting enemies by it and my friend already got two legendaries though I got zero.

Fl4k seems much more interesting character wise too. The way you can mix and match his abilities and pets on top of the trees themselves already is showing a ton of options.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Got Amara to level 14, she's pretty fun. Going shotgun + melee, so far has been pretty fun. Still not set in on any of the action skills just yet.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Working until 5 P.M. Goddamn the wait is painful after reading so many positive stories.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Photo mode got me like...

Just started up a new character to mess around with photo mode - back to FL4K!

tJw4b2S.png

Wow, what a lovely human being.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
All I am reading is PS4 Pro impressions regarding the framerate and that performance mode needs to be selected.

Anyone with Base PS4 impressions? I am fine with a few dips because that basically happened in Days Gone as well, but not if it is sub 30 all the time.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
This is a bit early I guess but when creating an online session open for anyone. Can you name it? In Borderlands 2 the session basically said what mission you had selected.
But if I have a session and want to do a boss run or doing something special I would like to give a name to my session so people who join knows what I want to do.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished playing for 10 hours with a full group. Hit like level 21 I think?

Such a huge improvement over the previous games.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Played for three hours with my son when it launched at midnight. When we played BL1 together, he was 19, and now he's 29, living 150 miles away. Time flies.

So far, we're absolutely loving the game. Feels better than BL2 in every conceivable way. Anyone who says the graphics are not that different needs their eyes tested. Th game looks so sharp and 3D. The particle effects are gorgeous on the One X.

My only criticisms are the clunky map and the way the audio mutes a lot when you are not facing someone who is speaking - is this intentional?

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would be great to get some console performance feedback.

I need to choose between this and Control.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Rush ? yeah its how it works

Mystical Assault is such a busted tree its not even funny. Well actually it is quite funny :p the orb generator build is sick lol
I don't understand why it says it boosts action skill damage AFTER using the action skill though?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
All I am reading is PS4 Pro impressions regarding the framerate and that performance mode needs to be selected.

Anyone with Base PS4 impressions? I am fine with a few dips because that basically happened in Days Gone as well, but not if it is sub 30 all the time.
My friend is on base PS4 and they didn't mention any major framerate issues during the three hours that we played. I think base PS4 is performing pretty well with some moderate dips on occasion based on what I've read on other sites.