• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just an FYI for people who bought it for xbox digital, you can start playing right now by switching your console region to New Zealand. This works even if you didn't buy it from the NZ store.

Dunno if they will close the loophole so be quick and activate it before they do.

If this works for me, I'm calling you daddy.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just an FYI for people who bought it for xbox digital, you can start playing right now by switching your console region to New Zealand. This works even if you didn't buy it from the NZ store.

Dunno if they will close the loophole so be quick and activate it before they do.

DADDY.

Going to my Xbox, Attempting now. This usually doesn't work. You have to buy it from the nz store

Do it. DO IT.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they put more care into the characters since they have a lot of voices lines now and a personality. Do you think in expansions they would release new classes or maybe just add new skill trees to each class. I think added a new skill tree to each class would be pretty cool. Even expanding on the trees too.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I have been agonizing over which character to pick, every time I think I got it narrowed down I change my damn mind again. I know I'll have fun with any of them but that doesn't make this decision any harder. lol

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
It works! Switching to NZ on Xbox I'm now in the main menu. Too bad none of my co op partners are around. Now I can stare at the main menu lol

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I haven't played any BL game, should I get 3 or the handsome collection?
Are the games worth it for solo and story? I've heard the characters are good.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got to go to work, but at least I can head home and immediate start playing rather than wait until midnight, boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Those are tricky questions.

I've primarily played my first playthroughs of the games solo, and I've really enjoyed the experiences. They're engaging enough, and although the side missions in the earlier games could get a bit "collect five bear asses"-y, I still found myself trying to complete everything. The games can be remarkably chill when you're just puttering around. From a gameplay perspective you're probably good to jump in with 3, especially because it seems to be a bit more mechanically up-to-date.

Story-wise, I'd probably recommend playing the previous games. Borderlands seems to be very additive, with each new game building up and fleshing out the playable characters from the previous games. A lot of the moments in Borderlands 2 wouldn't have had the same punch if I hadn't played Borderlands 1, for example. If you don't have that connection with the story so far, and the characters, the game will probably just come off as a series of crude jokes.

So, long story short, if you have the time, are okay with some less-refined gameplay, and are invested in the story, I'd say play 'em from the beginning.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Seems like CDKeys still haven't sent their regular edition codes out for the game yet - or atleast my friend doesn't have his yet. Fingers crossed he gets it soon or else he won't have it preloaded in time for release at midnight.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Those are tricky questions.

I've primarily played my first playthroughs of the games solo, and I've really enjoyed the experiences. They're engaging enough, and although the side missions in the earlier games could get a bit "collect five bear asses"-y, I still found myself trying to complete everything. The games can be remarkably chill when you're just puttering around. From a gameplay perspective you're probably good to jump in with 3, especially because it seems to be a bit more mechanically up-to-date.

Story-wise, I'd probably recommend playing the previous games. Borderlands seems to be very additive, with each new game building up and fleshing out the playable characters from the previous games. A lot of the moments in Borderlands 2 wouldn't have had the same punch if I hadn't played Borderlands 1, for example. If you don't have that connection with the story so far, and the characters, the game will probably just come off as a series of crude jokes.

So, long story short, if you have the time, are okay with some less-refined gameplay, and are invested in the story, I'd say play 'em from the beginning.
Thanks for the answer. I will try to get a PS3 copy of BL1 then, I'm in no hurry to catch up 3.
Edit, actually it's digitally available on PSN, one more to the backlog then...

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on any Battleborn Easter eggs or cameos?

I would pay a high price for some Oscar Mike or ISIC DLC.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

There's lots of story recaps available on YouTube. Find one that includes all the games including Tales from the Borderlands from Telltale because a few of those characters are NPC's in 3.

I'd start with the 3rd one at this point. The older games will feel old in shooting mechanics, last gen graphics, movement mechanics, etc.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone started to play on a regular PS4? Anything crazy or they just didn't send review codes out for no reason lol.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
There's lots of story recaps available on YouTube. Find one that includes all the games including Tales from the Borderlands from Telltale because a few of those characters are NPC's in 3.

I'd start with the 3rd one at this point. The older games will feel old in shooting mechanics, last gen graphics, movement mechanics, etc.
Haha I don't mind somejankiness since I still play my PS3 regularly.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Has anyone started to play on a regular PS4? Anything crazy or they just didn't send review codes out for no reason lol.

I dunno about the regular PS4 but resolution mode on the pro had alot of stuttering even when nothing was going on. Thankfully framerate mode ran great. And tbh I didn't really see much of a difference in both modes except for the framerate running much better.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the answer. I will try to get a PS3 copy of BL1 then, I'm in no hurry to catch up 3.
Edit, actually it's digitally available on PSN, one more to the backlog then...
I'd pick up the hd remake of 1 if you are going to play that. The added map seemed like it would've been a God send. Still if you picked up the PS3 version already no big deal. I beat bl1 earlier this year with my wife on a 360 and then just beat 2 on PS4 with the handsome collection.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I'd pick up the hd remake of 1 if you are going to play that. The added map seemed like it would've been a God send. Still if you picked up the PS3 version already no big deal. I beat bl1 earlier this year with my wife on a 360 and then just beat 2 on PS4 with the handsome collection.
Yeah I noticed there's a ps4 version before proceeding to checkout.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The minimap isn't that big of a deal honestly, the original still had the compass so it's not like you were flying blind. The only issues are the scavenger quests and those are garbage even with the minimap because the location markers are off.

The much bigger change is the 60fps and 1080p.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Maybe I'm weird but I just started a BL1 play through, play BL2 and PS once or twice a year, etc and don't think of them as outdated.

BL1 just is harsher with weapon accuracy stats, but as a sniper / shotgun player I am wither using a high accuracy weapon or a close quarters scatter weapon so I don't notice as much.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How is this running on PC? I had a look but couldn't see a performance thread...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Maybe I'm weird but I just started a BL1 play through, play BL2 and PS once or twice a year, etc and don't think of them as outdated.

BL1 just is harsher with weapon accuracy stats, but as a sniper / shotgun player I am wither using a high accuracy weapon or a close quarters scatter weapon so I don't notice as much.
BL1 has a really really harsh ng+ that's worse than BL2's UVHM. Unless you're Lilith in which case the entire game is a breeze.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still have no clue who to start with lol...Seems like Moze and Amara need some help in early game though, so I'll probably level Zane or Fl4k first.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The opening cinematic is a lot more lowkey than the previous ones. I think the Presequel was the best one

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm a bit upset that the release time in my time zone is 1 AM because I have to wake up early tomorrow, so I won't be able to stay up late and play. Have fun for me while I sleep!