• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand these threads. Twitch viewership doesn't really mean anything for non-esports games

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
For example Sekiro that is 100% singleplayer game did better, in first week game lost around 60% of viewers. Blands 3 did similar to Metro Exodus for example that is another pure singleplayer game. That is why i am surprised about Blands 3. I expected much less of a drop based on type of the game.
It's fun to watch people die in hilarious ways in From games.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this happen with every game? Not that I give a shit about another Borderlands game, but still, I think this is normal. Besides why would you ever watch someone play a loot shooter. That's an even bigger waste of time than playing loot shooters.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense to me. No one wants to watch someone play Borderlands. It's not viewer friendly especially with it's HORRIBLE sense of humor.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all aint even trying with this anti-Gearbox/Pitchford thing anymore.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Looter shooters never have a large sustainable audience. Hell, Destiny only manages to reach the top row during world's first raids.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I find that games that manage to sustain any kind of decent viewership are the super rare outliers.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the Steam version and I don't want to get spoiled. Loot Shooters are fun to play, but kinda boring to watch. The excitement lies in getting improved drops.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As i said it is normal for a game to drop in viewership week later i am just saying that i am surprised in case of borderlands because pre-release it looked like they are going after streaming crowd this time.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Have you even played it?
tenor.gif

Related to thread, Minecraft has 98K viewers right now where half of it made up by 2(!) streamers, people would think Minecraft is having some sort of renaissance by these numbers (and I guess it kinda is) but once these two are playing other games it's down to half and the charts will look awful.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's arguably the most boring game I've watched on Twitch.
Agree. I think a large part of it is the amount of time wasted running around Sanctuary. Every time I tuned into a stream, most of the time I watched they were wandering around or trying to find something in Sanctuary rather than actually doing something.

Presumably the guns are more fun to shoot than to watch someone shoot, unlike other FPS games.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to skip on buying borderlands 3 because the moment i saw the trailer I got bored. It just looked like more of the same, I can only think most thought the same after watching 1 stream of it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Have you even played it?
tenor.gif

Related to thread, Minecraft has 98K viewers right now where half of it made up by 2(!) streamers, people would think Minecraft is having some sort of renaissance by these numbers (and I guess it kinda is) but once these two are playing other games it's down to half and the charts will look awful.

Played the first two games and got bored to tears and never finished them. Repetitive.

Watched some streams for BL3 and it's basically the same game as all the previous ones.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. This isn't the type of game to thrive on twitch past the initial launch period. It's really boring to watch

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no endgame. Streamers beat the game twice, hit the level cap, and that's it.

Also, yeah, Modern Warfare beta.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
This is normal besides the handful of exceptions. It's also at a time when big games are coming out weekly.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
You play the game. You beat the game. You move on. What is the insensitive for streamers to keep playing and for viewers to keep watching? BL3 doesn't have competitive multiplayer which changes things up each time nor does it have significant weekly goals to make gamers come back each week.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I think BL is really a game that is fun to play (specially with friends) but boring to watch. Not sure if Twitch viewership is a factor in the game's success.

Jul 26, 2018
I remember I used to watch Twitch every single day. Heck i even started streaming too. But all the sudden i grew out of it. I don't even bother to watch anybody play the Modern Warfare Beta.. only Shroud for just 10 mins or less. Just said "I rather play this myself then watch someone playing".

I don't think i'll ever get old for gaming but i'm surprised that i'm over streaming/Twitch very fast.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem too surprising to me. Doesn't seem like the kind of game you'd regularly watch on Twitch.

Sep 14, 2019
Twitch might be the single most important marketing tool within the gaming industry right now.
In terms of long term engagement though for a non competitive-based multiplayer game? Not talking about short term mind you. IDK, id be shocked if this actually meant anything in the context of this game. Borderlands 3 will probably continue to have great legs even with bad Twitch drops.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every time I've opened up a bl3 stream they've just been afk on a ship and talking to chat

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of long term engagement though for a non competitive-based multiplayer game? Not talking about short term mind you. IDK, id be shocked if this actually meant anything in the context of this game. Borderlands 3 will probably continue to have great legs even with bad Twitch drops.
Most games are heavily frontloaded when it comes to sales. So having a strong start is often the most important thing. From my perspective Influencers are the most effective tool right now to get some kind of visibility, awareness and good word of mouth starting for your game. Influencers get cash (via their agency or the bountyboard) and the game gets views. Once those bounties stop (like BL3 atm) those streamers will unfortunately also stop pretty soon with streaming your game and switch to the next paid one.

Would you count something like Sea of Thieves as non-competitive multiplayer based?

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first two games and got bored to tears and never finished them. Repetitive.

Watched some streams for BL3 and it's basically the same game as all the previous ones.
Well, I'll agree with you that it is repetitive but not boring, but that's how most games are these days if you start to boil them down. Gunplay is vast upgrade from previous installments, I couldn't finish 2 and Pre-Sequel and I'm having lots of fun with 3.
It's one of those games that's best enjoyed with a good group of friends, but yeah, opinions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
For example Sekiro that is 100% singleplayer game did better, in first week game lost around 60% of viewers. Blands 3 did similar to Metro Exodus for example that is another pure singleplayer game. That is why i am surprised about Blands 3. I expected much less of a drop based on type of the game.

Sekiro feels odd to compare as the interest over watching a favored streamer commit, fail, and eventually succeed over unknown and difficult challenges in the journey is understandable as a hook.

Don't think Blands 3 really offers the same sort of tension or drama in its progression? Watch day 1 for cheeky jokes and to see how the game impresses it jives, then what? Just don't see the hook.

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
Alot of its big streamers (like KingGothalion) have finished up the initial grind and have moved on to COD beta and Zelda which dropped today. So that eats into a lot of its lunch.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro feels odd to compare as the interest over watching a favored streamer commit, fail, and eventually succeed over unknown and difficult challenges in the journey is understandable as a hook.

Don't think Blands 3 really offers the same sort of tension or drama in its progression? Watch day 1 for cheeky jokes and to see how the game impresses it jives, then what? Just don't see the hook.

Blands has coop and that can cause some funny and unexpected moments in game like Blands. Especially if group that is streaming it in right mood.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Doesn't mean anything.

Like Gears 5 is a recent release and it is non-factor on Twitch and we have reports on how successful it has been.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't think this is unusual. Frankly I'm surprised at how high it was up there and to see streamers like Cohh playing it with 15k+ viewers.
As i said it is normal for a game to drop in viewership week later i am just saying that i am surprised in case of borderlands because pre-release it looked like they are going after streaming crowd this time.
There was never any indication of the streaming features bringing any kind of significant retention, especially because they are criticized as being fairly intrusive to the viewing experience.

In response to some of your other posts - In Sekiro's case streamers got access further in advance I believe, but more importantly it's a From title. In general the Souls community and series of games have a consistent viewership because of how revered, replayable, and speedrun friendly they are. Borderlands really doesn't. Also I think Sekiro and Souls are way more entertaining to watch for most people.

You mentioned the endgame but I don't think it's much more prominent than their previous titles, and it doesn't compare with Borderlands 2 content and endgame post DLC.

Sep 14, 2019
Most games are heavily frontloaded when it comes to sales. So having a strong start is often the most important thing. From my perspective Influencers are the most effective tool right now to get some kind of visibility, awareness and good word of mouth starting for your game. Influencers get cash (via their agency or the bountyboard) and the game gets views. Once those bounties stop (like BL3 atm) those streamers will unfortunately also stop pretty soon with streaming your game and switch to the next paid one.

Would you count something like Sea of Thieves as non-competitive multiplayer based?
To be fair you're kinda arguing against something I didn't say. I didn't say Twitch wasn't important for marketing games pre-launch or during launch week. Just that it doesn't seem to be predictive of the legs or sustained popularity of games over a long period of the time, for the majority of the industry, which seems to be true. It isn't true for a very big and profitable portion of the industry however, like say Apex or Fortnite, but it doesnt seem to be the majority. Just a very huge profitable section of it.

There will always be exceptions to Twitch mostly affecting the long term success of multiplayer competitive based GaaS titles. Sea of Thieves is one of them, but even that game is very much a GaaS title. Is Borderlands 3? I don't think so but admit im not a fan. I know those games get DLC but I don't think it was ever going to be as sustainably interesting to watch long term as SoT.

Oct 29, 2017
Like some, I'm staying far away from anything spoilerish so I'm not surprised. Could be, some peeps saw the game and liked it so they went ahead and bought it and are playing it.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna drop even more especially once Shadowkeep comes out but thats normal. The game doesn't have much endgame content thats enjoyable to watch. Also twitch popularity doesn't equal how successful a game is

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is what happens to literally all non-PvP games. It's also a gun game competing with CoD beta and Gears 5.