• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
2K is making a bet that six months of exclusivity (as opposed to the 12 that Metro Exodus agreed to) probably won't harm sales too much. I think they are right, but I still won't support this.

Also possible that Epic just couldn't afford to pay for more than 6 months without really digging deep into red.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Once Epic fully fixes their regional pricing and certain regions just straight up not being able to purchase from their store then, yeah, I'll agree that this isn't a big deal. But now, for *a lot* of people EGS is almost prohibitively more expensive or unusable, so exclusives just mean that they CAN'T, not that they won't, play games there

It's a bummer, I think it's kind of unacceptable that they launched as heavily as they did without it

If anyone is persuaded by cross-play enough to support Epic and their exclusivity practices, I beg you to consider how badly single-issue politics has compromised American democracy.
it, however, is definitely not this deep

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit just took a look at r/borderlands ands it's loads of EGS meltdowns

Gonna read that later lmao

This shit has to stop as well. It's not ''lmao'' that people want the best for themselves, we are all fucking consumers and the sooner this board as a whole realises this the better. It's not just another launcher, it's not about being a steam fanboy and it shouldn't be about being an immature troll getting off on other people's complaints.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
So Borderlands 3 won't release on PC until August? Cool, I can wait, I got Wolfenstein and Rage 2 to keep me company.

Laconik

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That kind of mindset is the problem with how big publishers can get away with anything in gaming.
"It's okay, no big deal" "Well, what can we do ?" "It's not THAT bad".
Remember the online paywall ?
"Eh, it's just 5 bucks a month !"
Remember when PS+ rised in price ?
"It's just a cup of coffee each month, I can deal with that".

No one has to drink milk, you can get calcium from other sources. Same with entertainment. Movies got too expensive so I stopped going. The world didn't end.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
This shit has to stop as well. It's not ''lmao'' that people want the best for themselves, we are all fucking consumers and the sooner this board as a whole realises this the better. It's not just another launcher, it's not about being a steam fanboy and it shouldn't be about being an immature troll getting off on other people's complaints.

Uhhh I want this on Steam and despise the EGS. I'm just amused that the EGS backlash is everywhere.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Once Epic fully fixes their regional pricing and certain regions just straight up not being able to purchase from their store then, yeah, I'll agree that this isn't a big deal. But now, for *a lot* of people EGS is almost prohibitively more expensive or unusable, so exclusives just mean that they CAN'T, not that they won't, play games there

It's a bummer, I think it's kind of unacceptable that they launched as heavily as they did without it

it, however, is definitely not this deep
Agreed with all of this. Launching without proper regional pricing is some real fuck you got mine that I have 0 desire to support.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Actually for the Borderlands games, waiting a year is fine so you get the pack with DLCs and other pre-order bonuses etc... for the same $60 or less. BL2 had so many pieces of DLC it felt like the list was as long as that Train Sim on Steam.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh I want this on Steam and despise the EGS. I'm just amused that the EGS backlash is everywhere.

I was talking in a more broad sense, there are people in here talking about ''sides'' like the only side should be consumer first. Apologies if I mislabelled you, the amount of people who come in to these threads who don't give a fuck about PC gaming yet feel the need to tell everyone it's not a big deal is crazy.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
it is lmao however the extremes people go to

like at the end of the day it's a video game that you can still just buy on console if you want to. it's gonna be fine

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
If it launches on September 13th it'll release on Steam in March 2020, Right between Metro Exodus and Vampire Bloodlines 2.

By then all my interest in it would've faded which is a shame considering the 200+ hours I put into BL2. Oh well since Take Two doesn't want my business I'll take it elsewhere.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Repeatedly antagonizing other members
I was talking in a more broad sense, there are people in here talking about ''sides'' like the only side should be consumer first. Apologies if I mislabelled you, the amount of people who come in to these threads who don't give a fuck about PC gaming yet feel the need to tell everyone it's not a big deal is crazy.

Well given texhnolyze comment above yours my offhand comment sure rustled some jimmies

LMAO

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The sheer confidence in the move was shown at the announcement (read, lack thereof).

As per usual, Epic's store isn't remotely close to being trustworthy, secure, feature rich. It remains with poor support, hilarious flimsy policies, curation and development path. As a customer, the decision is easy not to purchase from such a vendor vs everything else.

So in this case, I'm perfectly happy to continue not purchasing. The real problem is that with every mis-step from Epic is yet more lack of trust, uncertainty and doubt in the service. I don't expect to use the service till it is demonstrably supportive and competing for me as a customer. Locking down games, isn't going to change that, just as single games or even a handful doesn't sway me to any one platform.

In place of Borderlands 3, is Rage 2 of all things!
Though with Valve Index around the corner with Knuckles, that is looking like a strong contender for a bunch of my money and gaming time.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 will likely be a Uplay scenario, launching on Social Club too.

Though social club sucks ass and might be the one launcher in worse shape than Epic.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
By then all my interest in it would've faded which is a shame considering the 200+ hours I put into BL2. Oh well since Take Two doesn't want my business I'll take it elsewhere.
How would all your interest disappear for a 6 month delay when not even all DLC for BL2 was added to the game within 6 months? I can't imagine spending 200+ hours on a game and then just deciding to not pickup the sequel because you have to wait to play it.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
it is lmao however the extremes people go to

like at the end of the day it's a video game that you can still just buy on console if you want to. it's gonna be fine

Except it's not. People give a shit about PC remaining an open platform with multiple options from where to purchase games. Some people can't even buy games from the EGS at all as it's not supported in their region yet. It might be just video games yet here you are signed up to a video game enthusiast forum....saying ''it's available on console anyway'' is selfish as fuck. Not everybody games on console but then not everybody entering these threads do so with good faith.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personaly dont like the EGS, but I get it.
look at it this way steam and the EGS have about the same size userbase, but EGS skews younger.
steam 30% v EGS 12% add the leak 2 million excusivity bonus on top of that, and you can see why devs/publishers would take that deal.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Except it's not. People give a shit about PC remaining an open platform with multiple options from where to purchase games. Some people can't even buy games from the EGS at all as it's not supported in their region yet. It might be just video games yet here you are signed up to a video game enthusiast forum....saying ''it's available on console anyway'' is selfish as fuck. Not everybody games on console but then not everybody entering these threads do so with good faith.
It's not selfish. What I mean is it's *fine* to be upset about it, the laughable part is the extremes people go to. There's a difference between disliking something and being blood red mad about it. Like have some perspective, please.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^^^^^^ this is a valid argument. saying EGS isnt in my market yet is a ligit reason to complain, a lot of the other reasons I have seen dont hod up.

Feb 3, 2018
Yeah started to suspect this when they did not say which platforms it would be out on at pax and Randy did ask why the epic store was so bad in a tweet.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I personaly dont like the EGS, but I get it.
look at it this way steam and the EGS have about the same size userbase, but EGS skews younger.
steam 30% v EGS 12% add the leak 2 million excusivity bonus on top of that, and you can see why devs/publishers would take that deal.

EGS' userbase is mostly fortnite players. 40% of them don't even have Steam.

A large chunk of modern games are only available through Steam and sometimes GOG, If they don't have Steam they probably aren't buying many games. Releasing your game exclusively on Epic isn't guaranteed to have your game be some platinum seller because the vast majority of the EGS userbase use it exclusively for Fortnite and don't even bat an eye at the Epic Store, and because of this Epic offers the incentive where if your game bombs on EGS they'll pay out the difference so publishers won't regret making a deal with them.

Also Epic offered 2m+ for Phoenix Point, a niche indie game. They definitely paid MUCH more for exclusivity on BL3.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
It's not selfish. What I mean is it's *fine* to be upset about it, the laughable part is the extremes people go to. There's a difference between disliking something and being blood red mad about it. Like have some perspective, please.

On every 'it's just a launcher' drive-by post you get five blood boiling replies of people losing their shit with their face like fucking thunder. Like goddamn, just ignore it, click ignore on the user and scroll on to the next post. You don't have to respond to these posts.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
I will wait for a release on Steam. I adore the franchise but not even Borderlands can make me cave.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
2K is making a bet that six months of exclusivity (as opposed to the 12 that Metro Exodus agreed to) probably won't harm sales too much. I think they are right, but I still won't support this.

Same. A bet to mitigate a detestable and shitty practice doesn't make it more palatable. It just shows they are afraid and I don't know that I'll ever be buying it.

I have a two-year backlog at this point. I have other stuff to play. Hell, I haven't even caught up with some games from my childhood :p.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh holy shit, I didn't realize the implication about Take Two and RDR2. Oh no
Yeah, that realization just dawned on me too reading through this thread.

Well, good thing I've played RDR2 already on PS4. I can wait to double dip on PC if Epic moneyhats that too.

This all just sucks from a consumer's POV. It would be one thing if these games were coming out on Epic and Steam but Epic is specifically tossing money at these games to not come out on Steam, since you've got stuff like Outer Worlds coming out on EGS and the Windows Store at launch but not Steam. So I guess its good for the developers but its shitty for consumers. And I hate how this just seems to be widening some gulf between developers/gaming press and average consumers that just want their choice of where to buy their PC games.

And to anyone saying how this sort of behavior by Epic will force Valve/Steam out of complacency... how? Do you want Valve to start buying up exclusives? This whole thing is just gross and I really dislike Epic as a company for it.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Oh shit just took a look at r/borderlands ands it's loads of EGS meltdowns

Gonna read that later lmao
the reddits for these games always get set on fire

it's really great pr
Same. A bet to mitigate a detestable and shitty practice doesn't make it more palatable. It just shows they are afraid and I don't know that I'll ever be buying it.

I have a two-year backlog at this point. I have other stuff to play. Hell, I haven't even caught up with some games from my childhood :p.
they showed they were afraid when they wouldn't say anything in front of an actual live crowd knowing what the response would be

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017

Except it is very selfish. It's a fuck you got mine type of attitude, again not everybody games on console. There are posters in here that have a 30% mark up on their games on the EGS, there are posters who can't buy the game, there are posters getting hit with payment processing charges. It's cool if you buy your games on console but it shouldn't lead to handwaving away legitimate problems.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
the reddits for these games always get set on fire it's really great pr

they showed they were afraid when they wouldn't say anything in front of an actual live crowd knowing what the response would be

True, point taken, although that might apply more to GBX/Pitchford than in this case directly the execs of 2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.