• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is 5 million sales on the PC in the first year really possible though? I would think the bulk of its sales will be on consoles.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Wait, how do you guys know so much about a private company's finances? Have they disclosed this information somewhere, or is this armchair theorizing?

Even Epic has admitted that the 12% is still selling games at a loss in a lot of regions (which is why EGS titles have extra fees attached to them in those regions that the customers pay).

Is 5 million sales on the PC in the first year really possible though? I would think the bulk of its sales will be on consoles.

Absolutely. Console sales will be huge too, but overall BL3 is a game that will very likely sell at least 12-15m in its first full year on the market. I think PS4 and PC (with Steam at launch at least) would have comparable sales numbers as well. The market for Borderlands on PC, and Steam specifically as indicated by the sales/player activity of BL2, cannot be overstated.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Via Pitchford just now on Twitter:

1ZKIiIK.jpg

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1112833886113992706

It seems like it will be EGS exclusive. And, reading between the lines, for a period of 6 months. Real curious as to what "advantages" there will be to this though.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly? I respect that decision. Getting crossplay on Sony seems only reserved for the big dogs so I'll easily support this decision.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Via Pitchford just now on Twitter:

1ZKIiIK.jpg

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1112833886113992706

It seems like it will be EGS exclusive. And, reading between the lines, for a period of 6 months. Real curious as to what "advantages" there will be to this though.

"Please don't kill us"

Sorry, but I'll boycott any and every game and product furthering the tactics of Epic. Too bad, and you kinda knew what you were in for with 2K. Please direct any inquiries about the lack of customer purchases to them.

I also won't buy it on Steam for a long time, because doing so would legitimize the viability of the timed aspect of the tactic.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Wasn't this completely expected? Got to say Outer Worlds EGS situation was a lot more annoying. Meh.

Now, RDR2 releasing on EGS and Rockstar launcher only will be something else.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who doesn't 'get it'. Imagine that from tomorrow on there will be an Epic icon on your console of choice. And that Epic will straight up buy Uncharted/Halo/Mario exclusivity and the only way to play any of those games is by clicking through that icon. 'What's the problem?', you might ask. Apparently nothing so far really. The problem is that once you click that Epic launcher icon, you lose access to sales and discounts, wishlists, servers, cloud saves, user reviews and scores, controller support, community features, etc, etc.

But it's just an icon though.

I'll straight up come out and say it, if you understand the issues that people have problems with and have a different view on the market based on actual arguments then it's alright. Agree to disagree. But if you come into these threads at this point and just repeat the same old driveby shit about launchers and competition ad nauseum, then you're either a troll, a shill or just a fucking idiot.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't this completely expected? Got to say Outer Worlds EGS situation was a lot more annoying. Meh.

Now, RDR2 releasing on EGS and Rockstar launcher only will be something else.

It was expected, doesn't make it any less stupid :(. I like borderlands and these guys are the holder of the Homeworld IP. Their short-sighted bullshit endangers so many beloved games it hurts to watch.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Cross play for borderlands would be incredible for me
I would probably buy the game on PS4 if they went that route for physicality's sake since i have all the other collectors editions on console

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If going EGS is the only way to get the game to be crossplay between all platforms (including PS4) and pc....

....then sorry steam. I wish i could cry for you but i'm not really concerned.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Crossplay would be the real good shit and would probably push me over the ledge as my friends play on XBox but I play on PC

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This holds well for the steam release. Those who buy on EGS won't be in a empty wasteland when the steam version comes out.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
If going EGS is the only way to get the game to be crossplay between all platforms (including PS4) and pc....

So now we go from the hypothetical situation of game exclusive to feature exclusive and that still doesn't sound even remotely toxic to you?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What. There are numerous games on Steam that are crossplay with PS4.
Not when it's about 3 way cross play that includes crossplay between Xbox and PS4 both. That is something that's only been done by Epic so far via their platform.

Edit: Forgot about Rocket League which went full crossplay in Jan, and that's on steam. But it doesn't use steam for the crossplay functionality.

My point being Epic seems to have the front end for crossplay functionality integrated in their launcher itself and devs don't need to build something separate.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crossplay argument isn't convincing. If that's what you want then put it on Epic but no reason to make it exclusive to Epic.

Oct 25, 2017
Not when it's about 3 way cross play that includes crossplay between Xbox and PS4 both. That is something that's only been done by Epic so far via their platform.
Epic Store has nothing to do with Sony not allowing cross-platform play with Xbox or Switch. Epic Store is on none of these platforms.

Also, Rocket League is not on Epic Store but has full cross-play.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Will not buy it, but at least it's one of the better PR responses... thuogh bar wasn't truly that high.

When you lead off with "Blame 2K, we have NOTHING to do with this..." and then follow up with clear hints of at least 6m exclusivity deal and how you are happy with it you aren't doing so great.

6m is weird for EGS tho, Epic couldn't afford more or maybe GearBox did have some say on the matter?

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Lies.
There's Rocket League.
And the platform has nothing to do with the cross play lol

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. Lower your expectations, guys.

Why would he act like crossplay is a feature for a version that's not out for 6 months lol.

Not to mention he mentions Epic's leadership. He's clearly talking about their headway with Sony.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Rocket League exists but those devs are busy and may not be able to support/supply their tools

Meanwhile Epic has very clearly set the table behind the scenes to do exactly that

I honestly believe Randy is talking about crossplay between Steam and EGS. As I said, lower your expectations.

Bruh you are high on dust

Jan 31, 2018
Well that's that then.

I'm fine waiting for 6 months or even year. I waited for GOTY editions (or special editions or whatever) for both BL1 and BL2 just because I like getting everything together (i.e. base game + DLC) instead of piecemeal. I can wait for at least that for BL3. Plus by then it'll be cheaper and all the bugs would theoretically be dealt with.

Oct 27, 2017

Lol what. Step back and run that thought again.
Do you really think Epic would block capabilities and functions of their own engine in exchange for exclusivity? Crossplay is done and supported by default on a technical level (as many, many devs have already mentioned). It is the platform holders (Sony) who fuck things up.
And of you think they can help because Epic has """clout""" due to fortnite being crossplay, you already forgot how hard Sony fought before they put out. No way in six hells will they allow that ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.