• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
nah, Randy has constanatly hinting at supporting the EGS on twitter, and Sergei kept making offhand remarks to the same effect about a big game.
right but the publisher is the one who decides where games go and again BL3 being on EGS is a no brainer, exclusivity is the publisher thing i'm talking about and if Epic paid a bunch of money for that exclusivity i can't be angry at a developer for that. guaranteed money is great.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Well, BL3 is going to need something... so maybe it will be the beta test of it all? I would be stupid for Gearbox to do something from scratch.

Also, kind of a bad look to don't have the courage to announce in front of I live audience and now we have a leak on a day flooded where the news is flooded with noise.

They could always use Steam's. :P

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This news makes the reveal of the title even more interesting. There was really no reason for "Platforms and Release Date Later". That move feels like it was based around EGS and the realization that such a move wasn't something to announce at PAX to a live crowd.

A company literally being scared to announce this sort of exclusivity to a live audience (Or tell a an audience "no questions on EGS"). Paints quite a picture on the general reception EGS has garnered currently. Which makes me wonder if even a large release like BL3 is enough to make people stick with EGS outside the timed period.

IIRC during the panel they mentioned publishing Fortnite's retail release for Epic and got booed pretty hard. So its not a shock if they pulled the EGS announcement to avoid backlash.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Squaresoft had FF7 N64 tech demos. Game was feasible. The only limitation was the cutscenes taking up a significant amount of disk space, unless you really think the N64 couldn't do the overworld or battles?

That's not even close to FF7. There's been an interview already posted as to why Square went to PS. Music, Pre Rendered Backgrounds, FMVs are all contributing factors. Cost of the cartridges will be another.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Misrepresenting the concerns and arguments of other users; ignoring staff post
Man, I feel so out of the loop in regards to whats going on with PC Gaming and the EGS.
people mad that they cant buy it on steam is basically it. just routine outrage. stay tuned for the next "X game is coming to EGS" thread, definitely coming soon.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's supply and demand, they have the games and the people who want to buy them.
Yeah, but they've already paid for these games in the first place. For EGS to turn a profit, they either need customers buying games that haven't been moneyhattied or so many people buying moneyhatted games that it makes up for the upfront cost of the moneyhat. We haven't seen any indication that the latter has happened to my knowledge.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This news makes the reveal of the title even more interesting. There was really no reason for "Platforms and Release Date Later". That move feels like it was based around EGS and the realization that such a move wasn't something to announce at PAX to a live crowd.

A company literally being scared to announce this sort of exclusivity to a live audience (Or tell a an audience "no questions on EGS"). Paints quite a picture on the general reception EGS has garnered currently. Which makes me wonder if even a large release like BL3 is enough to make people stick with EGS outside the timed period.
This just shows all these companies are fully aware people don't like Epic's strategy to promote their store, yet they continue accepting Epic's money. They don't mind the bad PR (from the customers, since the gaming media is applauding Epic and trying to deceive us this is good for everyone) at all.

Also, Pitchford and Co. are cowards by not announcing it live. Guess they don't want another mess like when Blizzard announced Diablo Inmortal.

Oct 27, 2017
Discs being cheaper than cartridges was a significant factor but Sony also made Squaresoft a better overall deal.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...fantasy-7-revolutionized-videogame-marke.html

Sony cut them an even better deal on manufacturing and helped publish it outside of Japan plus fronted a lot of marketing costs. Sony also significantly invested in Squaresoft as a company by buying their stocks and some other stuff around The Spirits Within movie. Not sure how your point still stands since this was mostly Sony paying Squaresoft money directly and indirectly to moneyhat FF7 off the N64.
Ah, so Sony did had a financial hand on the development/publishing of the game. That's not a moneyhat, if the game was ready to launch for N64 and then suddenly didnt, so that would have been a moneyhat, but that didnt happen. The game had Sony money (honey) and thats ok. But unless Epic helped develop/publish they have moneyhatted, which we dont have receipts but we can assume they didnt because almost every single one appeared on Steam before, then we should call out their bs.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Competition is a good thing for platforms like this anyway, even if it's the form of "stolen" exclusives. Hopefully this can inspire Steam to come bursting back with their own exclusives or innovative changes to their platform.

There is nothing good to be gained in an exclusive bidding war for the customer beyond limiting even more games to an even smaller selection of platforms.

Oct 25, 2017
people mad that they cant buy it on steam is basically it. just routine outrage. stay tuned for the next "X game is coming to EGS" thread, definitely coming soon.
giphy.webp

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I do think this deal pre-dates the EGS announcement, and I do think the fact that Gearbox felt compelled to call an audible and not mention the platforms in their PAX reveal out of fear of loud booing does indicate that EGS, at the very least, has a major PR problem. Which announcing BL3 as an exclusive straight after announcing a bunch of Steam stuff will not help.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's up to them if they want my business. I can play something else.

If Borderlands 3 had been a must have title, then maybe I would have sucked up to this and just bought it.
But it's not. It's a maybe title, and I'm not jumping through hoops for maybe titles, when I don't have time and energy for all of them.

For game like this, I expect devs and publishers to work for my interest in it. But this is them moving the title further away from me instead.

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, it seems like this is going to be my first EGS game :|
I'd prefer to have it on Steam for the Big Picture Mode and the wide controller support.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really is no surprise because Randy Pitchford was cheerleading for CliffyB hard when Epic sued Silicon Knights and won on Twitter.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Yo, damn though. No way 2K are just gonna pass up on Steam like that (assuming this is exclusive).

Them Epic pockets run deep fam

They run hella deep. People also really keep forgetting that the game will continue to sell after the exclusive period. Every sale after that point only puts them even more ahead.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Competition is a good thing for platforms like this anyway, even if it's the form of "stolen" exclusives. Hopefully this can inspire Steam to come bursting back with their own exclusives or innovative changes to their platform.

Purchasing exclusives is the worst possible outcome. They offer a better platform already.

It really is like people who don't care /know about PC gaming pop up in every thread with the same easily debunkable bs.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Yeah, but they've already paid for these games in the first place. For EGS to turn a profit, they either need customers buying games that haven't been moneyhattied or so many people buying moneyhatted games that it makes up for the upfront cost of the moneyhat. We haven't seen any indication that the latter has happened to my knowledge.
I don't think they are worried about profits rn, they have enough money, what they want is publicity and users familiarizing themselves with another store that is not steam

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so Sony did had a financial hand on the development/publishing of the game. That's not a moneyhat, if the game was ready to launch for N64 and then suddenly didnt, so that would have been a moneyhat, but that didnt happen. The game had Sony money (honey) and thats ok. But unless Epic helped develop/publish they have moneyhatted, which we dont have receipts but we can assume they didnt because almost every single one appeared on Steam before, then we should call out their bs.

I think there are degrees of moneyhatting and the situation isn't entirely foreign if you compare back then to today.

Sony made it extremely lucrative for third parties like Squaresoft and Enix to defect to their platform, and that's exactly what Epic is doing today with third parties releasing games on Epic Game Store instead of Steam. They entice developers with a better split plus marketing and/or upfront cash or whatever else they're offering.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Them Epic pockets run deep fam

They run hella deep. People also really keep forgetting that the game will continue to sell after the exclusive period. Every sale after that point only puts them even more ahead.
True, but they probably won't get away with charging full price on Steam a year after release, so they'll be getting less revenue from the EGS boycotters folks that were willing to buy it day one on Steam.

Ollolol

Nov 1, 2017

This. And people keep saying that this thing against Epic Store is just a very vocal minority on gaming forums, reddit, etc... I think this feeling against Epic is much more relevant than some people think.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is steam buying out games as a result going to actually help the platform? All this will do is turn this into console wars for pc
I was always under the impression that the only bad thing about "console wars" were the fans, the competition part of it can fuel positivity imo. It doesn't necessarily need to be more exclusives bought by Steam then fine, but I'm sure there are other improvements Steam can make that would help the consumer and even devs have a better experience. They just need a reason to implement those improvements and Epic's store is giving them that reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are degrees of moneyhatting and the situation isn't entirely foreign if you compare back then to today.

Sony made it extremely lucrative for third parties like Squaresoft and Enix to defect to their platform, and that's exactly what Epic is doing today with third parties releasing games on Epic Game Store instead of Steam. They entice developers with a better split plus marketing and/or upfront cash or whatever else they're offering.
But even then, the PS was a damn fine console. It had the hottest shit in consumer tech. The EGS isnt. It barely has a search bar.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think they are worried about profits rn, they have enough money, what they want is publicity and users familiarizing themselves with another store that is not steam
I was talking long term though. Familiar or not, Epic is going to want a return on their investment in the store at some point and that investment has to come in the form of people voluntarily buying games from there.

Oct 25, 2017
Reality of the situation is that Epic store is here to stay.

It ain;t going anywhere. I thought maybe in the beginning, Epic would try it out for a bit, and see it not really going anywhere, and then quietly bounce.

But yeah, Borderlands 3 would be a HUGE fucking get, specifically exclusive.

I think this is the first time Steam has a real competitor, not in features, but just in terms mindshare.

I wonder what they are gonna do with RDR2.

Imagine RDR2 is exclusive to Epic......

Ohhhh man.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Aaaaaaaannnnd another game to skip this year.

September 13th is my birthday, Epic is trolling me hard. :(

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone will have a breaking point. Everyone.

That one game that'll make even the staunchest anti-EGS gamer turn heel.

I've zero interest in the EGS and I've already seen a number of my most anticipated titles of the year go exclusive to them (Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Outer Worlds, etc.). It's not enough to make me budge, but I can see a world where I might. Right now the only title I could think of would be a Paradox grand-strat release on EGS. But I don't even think I could get behind that as those titles are GaaS with years upon years of DLC support.

Still, I'm struggling to think of how these moves could win over the anti-EGS crowd long-term anyway. Epic has already pissed off so many with their anti-consumer moves that it feels like they've poisoned the well for large swaths of the PC community. Doesn't mean some could, and likely would, break for that one game they just can't resist. But I fail to see the retention scenario outside of that.

Like I'm a huge Sims fan. Have been since day one. So when EA announced Sims 4 as Origin exclusive, I just sucked it up and installed EA's launcher. No regrets.

But you know what? Ask me how many Origin titles I've purchased in the last 5 years. Outside of Sims 4 DLC that answer would be zero. So Origin is essentially my Sims launcher. Hell, and I don't even have any beef with them. I just prefer to game in Steam's ecosystem.

So if EGS ever lures me with that one game that'll have nothing to do with keeping me in the system in the future. I'll simply nab that one title, play it and enjoy the rest of my gaming on PC elsewhere.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This. And people keep saying that this thing against Epic Store is just a very vocal minority on gaming forums, reddit, etc... I think this feeling against Epic is much more relevant than some people think.

If it was a "vocal minority" the gaming press wouldn't be dancing around and making articles here and there about people complaining "over nothing" indeed.

Nov 14, 2017
I was always under the impression that the only bad thing about "console wars" were the fans, the competition part of it can fuel positivity imo. It doesn't necessarily need to be more exclusives bought by Steam then fine, but I'm sure there are other improvements Steam can make that would help the consumer and even devs have a better experience. They just need a reason to implement those improvements and Epic's store is giving them that reason.
Good news then, Steam's constantly making improvements and has been before EGS was even a thing.

There, we as consumers now have zero reason for EGS to exist.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I heard that Borderlands 2 was doing quite well in China, so I thought there was a chance of them releasing BL3 on Steam thanks to it.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, hopefully not the case or I'll be skipping out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.