• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I've been expecting a EGS announcement for awhile. I think a lot of us have based on Pitchford tweets.
Why would anyone switch to EGS if they invested in their launcher? What changes could EGS make on their launcher that would entice you to switch without buying up exclusives? I don't like it just like everyone else, but how else would they compete?

Counter point, why would people switch to EGS by being forced onto the platform. They buy Borderlands 3 and nothing else on EGS, what did Epic really accomplish. They can't money hat every game and if Epic want to succeed long term they need users to willingly buy from their store.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Eh,

That turd they can keep.
While my personal feelings towards the game is similar, still I'd see it as a harmful move towards consumers.
Sure, but i highly doubt Epic Games will let Gearbox publish BL3 on both Steam and EGS.
I think there's games that are on both, Bloodlines 2 as one recent example. Though I guess that situation still can change, but I doubt it. And definitely hope it wont.
Why would anyone switch to EGS if they invested in their launcher? What changes could EGS make on their launcher that would entice you to switch without buying up exclusives? I don't like it just like everyone else, but how else would they compete?
Better prices, better features, some kind of loyalty program, developing games, funding games from ground up instead of moneyhatting exclusivity. Or just gaining good-will from gamers, free games (which they do) and helping games formerly missing on PC to the platform (They've maybe done this, I'm not sure). But how Epic has been doing business has brought them bad rap instead.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018
Seems weird that they would talk up partnering with Steam for their publishing stuff during their PAX show but make this an exclusive to EGS.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been on steam for over a decade. I have Uplay, Origin, etc. Why is this such a big deal. Steam has the cash to just match?

No one can explain why publishers should take less cash.
Fortnite. Fortnite continues to generate massive quantities of money for Epic, probably far more than Steam as a whole generates for Valve. Even if Valve does decide to fight fire with fire, I don't think they could compete with Epic.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Totally expected due to Randy's tweets and refusal to confirm platforms earlier. They probably wouldn't want backslash in front of audience.

2K: (about Epic exclusivity) "We need to be where customers are"
Epic: 💰💰
2K: "Well... maybe not then..."

Maybe the talk of eventual lower priced games on EGS will be a thing by the time this comes out...

lol. If you account cd key resellers and/or boxed copies, it will be more exepensive, because you can get for around 35-40€ preorders.

So I guess Watch Dogs 3 is their next big get.

Safe to assume they did get all Ubisoft games.

Yup. Mentioned this in another thread but if this really is an EGS exclusive, I think 2K are cool with the console sales carrying them until the inevitable Steam launch one year later.

Borderlands 2 has sold over 18 million copies, after all.

Yeah no way it sells that much on EGS. Even free games got just 4.5m downloads.

I'm shocked! (insert fry shocked.gif)

The real questions now are if it's timed or not, and if it's going to use the matchmaking API Epic said it was working on.

Epic Matchmaking is still Q4 release, this seemingly Q3 game. Probably not?

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
How is it that there have been a ridiculous amount of threads about this subject and we still have people shitposting "lmao it's just another launcher, get over yourselves"

Because those posts aren't being actioned.

On the flipside, when a longtime PC-centric poster who is tired of being denigrated as a lunatic Steam fanboi finally loses their cool, they catch bans.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
What is this revisionist history? Sony went directly to Squaresoft and made some lucrative deal for FF7 to appear exclusively on PSX.

it appears you are posting revisionist history

"At that time, Square was really close to Nintendo — we were basically like a second party for them. So when their new system was in development, we gave them lots of advice, like, "You're going to need a CD-ROM drive for it," "You don't have enough bandwidth to do what we're trying to do," and, "With what you have now, we're not going to be able to make an RPG." We gave them lots of advice. But [Nintendo president] Yamauchi-san at Nintendo basically refused to listen to any of it. And that's when Sakaguchi-san and the management team at Square decided, "OK, we're going to go with Sony now."

From Polygons interview with members of the FF7 team

https://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Epic will throw some fortnite/unreal engine money at them. I think borderlands even uses unreal engine doesnt it?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
No Steam logo? I hope it's just a marketing deal (at most, which is still kind of a garbage thing to see for the PC market), but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Being exclusive would be super unsurprising given Randy's older tweets about the EGS.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Why would anyone switch to EGS for exclusives?
If your platform is shit and only has exclusive games going for it, then people will buy the occasional exclusive and ignore the rest of your platform.
Why would anyone switch to EGS exclusively when the PC is an open platform?

I understand some of the pushback against the EGS, but I find the majority of the discussion around Epic's exclusivity deals to be tiresome and annoying at best.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've been on steam for over a decade. I have Uplay, Origin, etc. Why is this such a big deal. Steam has the cash to just match?

No one can explain why publishers should take less cash.
Publishers having a better cut doesn't mean much if the volume drops from people not willing to use a shitty launcher. Hence, Bethesda coming back to Steam.

People are upset because starting a bidding for exclusives doesn't help consumers in the slightest and can't effectively be competed against without doing the same thing.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
wait hold on... Steam was the first one in the beginning, they had no competition

also it was the only way to play HL2 and CSS

otherwise people wouldn't have downloaded Steam either if not for those two games

At first, Counter-strike was a modification for half-life and was available for free. Valve then bought it, put a price on it, and enforced Steam. People were truly mad.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Oh no! After how great it looked at the reveal event! What a terrible shame!

giphy.gif

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Did a anyone really thought otherwise? They are using the UE4 engine. Making it exclusive on EGS will cut the fee for the engine.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Source? IIRC Square couldnt get the game running on the N64 so they switched to PS.
But whatever, my point still stands.

Discs being cheaper than cartridges was a significant factor but Sony also made Squaresoft a better overall deal.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...fantasy-7-revolutionized-videogame-marke.html

Sony cut them an even better deal on manufacturing and helped publish it outside of Japan plus fronted a lot of marketing costs. Sony also significantly invested in Squaresoft as a company by buying their stocks and some other stuff around The Spirits Within movie. Not sure how your point still stands since this was mostly Sony paying Squaresoft money directly and indirectly to moneyhat FF7 off the N64.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Discs being cheaper than cartridges was a significant factor but Sony also made Squaresoft a better overall deal.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...fantasy-7-revolutionized-videogame-marke.html

Sony cut them an even better deal on manufacturing and helped publish it outside of Japan plus fronted a lot of marketing costs. Sony also significantly invested in Squaresoft as a company by buying their stocks and some other stuff around The Spirits Within movie. Not sure how your point still stands since this was mostly Sony paying Squaresoft money directly and indirectly to moneyhat FF7 off the N64.

yet FF7 wouldn't run on the N64

and you claim it's a money hat

Lol

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Epic will throw some fortnite/unreal engine money at them. I think borderlands even uses unreal engine doesnt it?
The main games have all used Unreal engine. BL3 will be using Unreal Engine 4.

We all knew it would be coming to EGS, just hope for steam users they can also get it there. would be a huge amount of money for Epic to spend to get BL3 as an exclusive but ultimately this feels like a 2K decision more than a gearbox one if it were to be exclusive. maybe its just for pre-order bonuses. we'll find out on wednesday

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The main games have all used Unreal engine. BL3 will be using Unreal Engine 4.

We all knew it would be coming to EGS, just hope for steam users they can also get it there. would be a huge amount of money for Epic to spend to get BL3 as an exclusive but ultimately this feels like a 2K decision more than a gearbox one if it were to be exclusive. maybe its just for pre-order bonuses. we'll find out on wednesday

nah, Randy has constanatly hinting at supporting the EGS on twitter, and Sergei kept making offhand remarks to the same effect about a big game.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
wait hold on... Steam was the first one in the beginning, they had no competition

also it was the only way to play HL2 and CSS

otherwise people wouldn't have downloaded Steam either if not for those two games

Well they already had Steam before that since they had to use it to play CS 1.6 :P

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Sony didnt succeed when they released the original PlayStation by moneyhatting all the games, they did it by delivering a desirable product that made sense for both consumers and developers. So no, throwing money to limit the release of a game on other platforms isnt the only way

To be more specific in context: Sony did so well with the PS1 because Nintendo was literally behaving the way that the gaslighters accuse Valve of acting (which Valve isn't): Taking an excessive cut, not innovating, and picking Winners and Losers - Sony didn't need to moneyhat anything when Nintendo was being actively hostile to developers and Sega was taking the gold medal at Shitting The Bed with the Saturn.

Such is... Not the case with Steam and GOG.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yet FF7 wouldn't run on the N64

and you claim it's a money hat

Lol

Squaresoft had FF7 N64 tech demos. Game was feasible. The only limitation was the cutscenes taking up a significant amount of disk space, unless you really think the N64 couldn't do the overworld or battles?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why Gearbox don't self-publish Borderlands. Is it not their IP or something?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Competition is a good thing for platforms like this anyway, even if it's the form of "stolen" exclusives. Hopefully this can inspire Steam to come bursting back with their own exclusives or innovative changes to their platform.

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
Please not EGS exclusive.

I want to play that game but I will never install this store on my computer. I will have to forget this game exists if it's exclusive. Please not exclusive :-(

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Competition is a good thing for platforms like this anyway, even if it's the form of "stolen" exclusives. Hopefully this can inspire Steam to come bursting back with their own exclusives or innovative changes to their platform.

How is steam buying out games as a result going to actually help the platform? All this will do is turn this into console wars for pc

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This news makes the reveal of the title even more interesting. There was really no reason for "Platforms and Release Date Later". That move feels like it was based around EGS and the realization that such a move wasn't something to announce at PAX to a live crowd.

A company literally being scared to announce this sort of exclusivity to a live audience (Or tell a an audience "no questions on EGS"). Paints quite a picture on the general reception EGS has garnered currently. Which makes me wonder if even a large release like BL3 is enough to make people stick with EGS outside the timed period.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I still don't understand why Gearbox don't self-publish Borderlands. Is it not their IP or something?
My guess is that they don't have the person power or infrastructure to properly advertise, manufacture, and distribute a retail AAA title and even if they did, they might not have the cash on hand to fully fund development themselves. They need to keep the lights on while working on BL3 and it's not like Gearbox has been putting out hits recently.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Epic Matchmaking is still Q4 release, this seemingly Q3 game. Probably not?

Well, BL3 is going to need something... so maybe it will be the beta test of it all? I would be stupid for Gearbox to do something from scratch.

Also, kind of a bad look to don't have the courage to announce in front of I live audience and now we have a leak on a day where the news is flooded with noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.