• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I was so scared I was going to regret my Xbox One X purchase after years of PC gaming, but then Epic came along and is slowly ruining what I loved about modern PC gaming (that with Steam and Big Picture it was almost a consolelike experience) just at the right time for me personally.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone switch to EGS if they invested in their launcher? What changes could EGS make on their launcher that would entice you to switch without buying up exclusives? I don't like it just like everyone else, but how else would they compete?

By making a better service. Offering better prices. Like for exemple, you buy Borderlands 3 on EGS, you get the season pass or the 3 games before. Or have stuff Steam doesn't do like reselling games or renting games.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Or they could do what Steam did and... offer features and services that both developers and end users benefit from rather than forcing consumers to use their launcher to play hot new titles that aren't even made by them.
wait hold on... Steam was the first one in the beginning, they had no competition

also it was the only way to play HL2 and CSS

otherwise people wouldn't have downloaded Steam either if not for those two games

Oct 25, 2017
Ngl, I'm gutted that this may be true as I was looking forward to playing it on PC.
Not like this though. I'm really hoping it isn't the case but it's extremely likely.
This year is fucking terrible as far as PC is concerned no thanks to this shit.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP should note that the video doesn't mention consoles or "Exclusive" so this ad may be a partnered Epic Store specific ad, but doesn't guarantee it's an exclusive from this info alone.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Why would anyone switch to EGS if they invested in their launcher? What changes could EGS make on their launcher that would entice you to switch without buying up exclusives? I don't like it just like everyone else, but how else would they compete?

Why would anyone switch to EGS for exclusives?
If your platform is shit and only has exclusive games going for it, then people will buy the occasional exclusive and ignore the rest of your platform.

Oct 27, 2017
I fundamentally don't understand the arguments made against Epic, but if people want to wait for it to come to Steam, that's their decision. The only way for the Epic store to eventually become as successful as Steam is to broker deals like this one to get more people onto their launcher. They certainly have the money to invest in it, they just need to force people's hand to use it.
Sony didnt succeed when they released the original PlayStation by moneyhatting all the games, they did it by delivering a desirable product that made sense for both consumers and developers. So no, throwing money to limit the release of a game on other platforms isnt the only way

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
They won't invest in it until they know it's fight worth fighting. Right now I imagine their market share is slim, compared to Steam, GOG and others. As they build it out, they will say "Ok we've hit X active users, it's go time." No one on PC would willingly switch from Steam to EGS without being forced to do so. That's why the exclusives are crucial to them.
GOG has improved their store without moneyhatting developers for exclusives. So no, this isn't valid. And with all the money Epic receives with Fortnite, they can at least have a competent store and launcher with--a shopping cart.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the talk of eventual lower priced games on EGS will be a thing by the time this comes out...

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
It'll be interesting if it's exclusive since this will be by far the biggest title yet. Can't be cheap considering 2 had 11+ million players on steam.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
And... another game to skip. Not too much disappointed about that one though, I got bored of BL2 after a couple hours.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, someone had to fund this shit after the stolen SEGA money ran out. Wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Good for Gearbox, that should mean they will be keeping a bigger piece of the pie. I love that we are finally seeing real competition for Valve.

It's not like you won't be able to use steam and big picture mode still, just add it as an external game. It's what I basically do for all UBI games. Seamless experience still.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
wait hold on... Steam was the first one in the beginning, they had no competition

also it was the only way to play HL2 and CSS

otherwise people wouldn't have downloaded Steam either if not for those two games
There's a huge difference, though. Steam was pioneering that market at the time. Competition sprung up and that's fine. Origin and Uplay publishing games made by the companies who run the respective platform is OK. I don't have an issue with that. I do have an issue with Epic and their money dick going up to third party companies, offering a boat load of money to force users onto a platform to play those games. I don't have an issue with a game being on multiple platforms, and, outside of Valve titles, a lot of games available on that service are available elsewhere.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Shit, I expect double dips. People grabbing EGS and then the Steam build when its available.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Yessssss, absolutely cannot wait. I hope there is a collectors edition, would be my first non Blizzard collectors edition.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is it that there have been a ridiculous amount of threads about this subject and we still have people shitposting "lmao it's just another launcher, get over yourselves"

Why are people getting so worked up over this?

Console games have exclusive marketing and still release on the competition platform.

When will this message board learn lol......."but, epic is evil"

Carry on.

If Epic is getting the marketing, nobody is going to care. The issue is whether or not Borderlands 3 will be exclusive to Epic's store and launcher, which is so barebones that it doesn't even have a shopping cart....much less the features that PC gamers have more or less come to expect from gaming on PC, as well as the lower prices for games.

What does the word "compete" mean on this board? Epic is buying exclusives so they don't have to compete. Nothing about what they're doing suggests anyone there wants to compete. They want to force people onto their platform, and they could give a fuck about actually demonstrating why they're better than the competition.

Try launching a store and client that actually have the bare minimum of features. Maybe have better sales, cut deals with devs to allow generation of third party keys, a hub for mods, friends lists and achievements, or...I dunno...making their own games instead of buying everyone else's exclusives.

One idea that could have put them far and away higher than everyone else is getting a streaming app going better than any of the other gaming competitors right now. But none of these things are going to be possible in the long run for them because that 12% cut they take can't sustain the sorts of things that Valve does with their 20-30%. Epic will either be bare for good or will be passing on these costs on to developers or consumers in some way, shape, or form at some point.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

They could offer better day 1 deals due to their lesser cut. Plenty of people go where the deals are.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Good for Gearbox, that should mean they will be keeping a bigger piece of the pie. I love that we are finally seeing real competition for Valve.

It's not like you won't be able to use steam and big picture mode still, just add it as an external game. It's what I basically do for all UBI games. Seamless experience still.
You can't do that with EGS, stop talking out of your ass.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

If EGS had features that made their service worth while, that would certainly entice people to use it. Right now, EGS lacks a lot of basic features for any sort of storefront/launcher. I could understand negotiating exclusive deals from a business perspective once EGS was more fleshed out to get people to try it (although as a consumer I strongly dislike exclusive deals), but with so many features lacking right now most anyone will use it for is for EGS exclusive games and little else.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony didnt succeed when they released the original PlayStation by moneyhatting all the games, they did it by delivering a desirable product that made sense for both consumers and developers. So no, throwing money to limit the release of a game on other platforms isnt the only way

What is this revisionist history? Sony went directly to Squaresoft and made some lucrative deal for FF7 to appear exclusively on PSX.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Was expecting it, but staying cautious just in case, maybe the Epic release has an exclusive pre-order item that the steam one doesn't.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just to put things into perspective. Borderlands 2 on steam is still in the top 50 most played titles on steam, daily.
Yup. Mentioned this in another thread but if this really is an EGS exclusive, I think 2K are cool with the console sales carrying them until the inevitable Steam launch one year later.

Borderlands 2 has sold over 18 million copies, after all.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Are we sure this isn't an April Fools joke?
UrI1HgB.gif

(It's not).

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one that will get me. By this point EGS should have cloud saves (according to their roadmap). Would love to see cross-play too especially for a PvE co-op shooter but that may still be a pipe dream at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
How is it that there have been a ridiculous amount of threads about this subject and we still have people shitposting "lmao it's just another launcher, get over yourselves"

They know, they're just not willing to understand. Better to label the ones who have a problem with this as crazy Steam fanatics than actually listen.

Lmfao, this would've happened had they announced it on stage, good move Gearbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Developers at Gearbox: "Tell the fans how much they mean to us. Tell them we need their help. Tell them to support us so that we don't go out of business. And whatever you do, do not scream the words 'Epic Games Store' at the top of your lungs."

Marketing people at Gearbox/2K: "We're the conductors of the Epic Games Store train!"

Laconik

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They know, they're just not willing to understand. Better to label the ones who have a problem with this as crazy Steam fanatics than actually listen.

Lmfao, this would've happened had they announced it on stage, good move Gearbox.

I've been on steam for over a decade. I have Uplay, Origin, etc. Why is this such a big deal. Steam has the cash to just match?

No one can explain why publishers should take less cash.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
GOG has improved their store without moneyhatting developers for exclusives. So no, this isn't valid. And with all the money Epic receives with Fortnite, they can at least have a competent store and launcher with--a shopping cart.

There are many ways to accomplish the same goal. Epic isn't interested in being GOG, they want to be Steam. They want a huge chunk of the pie. This method is extremely valid to draw people to your platform. The upgrades will come.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked! (insert fry shocked.gif)

The real questions now are if it's timed or not, and if it's going to use the matchmaking API Epic said it was working on.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
What is this revisionist history? Sony went directly to Squaresoft and made some lucrative deal for FF7 to appear exclusively on PSX.
What? No. Unless I'm wrong (and someone correct me if that' s so), Square developed the game for the PSX because the N64 couldn't handle it. Also cartridges influenced their decision.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why they waited a week to announce this, that PAX crowd at the live event would have been livid.

Status
Not open for further replies.